Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Legit serious question: I have never looked at Kinect, but I'd like at some point to try Rise of Nightmares, just because I'm a Sega completionist. How'd I go about that? This is confusing between the Xbone dropping the Kinect port at some point, there being two versions of Kinect which I'm not sure if they are compatible, and not being sure if Kinect games are even backwards compatible (but I suspect they aren't). Is the only possibility to do it on a X360 with the original Kinect? What about Xenia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm pretty sure you're gonna need a 360 and original kinect. I think Xbox One kinect was dead by the time 360 BC came around and there was no way they were gonna make those games work on newer consoles.

Well, the good news is that an original Kinect seems cheap. The bad news is that I'm seeing some eBay listings with just the device and others with the device and a power supply. One of the listings claim not all X360 models require the Kinect power supply. I'm going to assume I should play safe and get one with the power supply just in case it's required because I have no idea how to identify if my old X360 needs one or not. Most listings do not have a power supply, interestingly enough, so it's not just the case of people losing theirs.

Yes, there is someone legit interested in the loving Kinect in the futuristic dystopian year of 2021.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Barudak posted:

As a person who played a lot of Rise of Nightmares, please don't. It is not good and the kinect adds nothing but frustration. Please purchase only if you plan to play the other actually fun games that use the kinect as well.

Well, if I'm buying the stupid thing I may well grab whatever exists that is fun. What are your recommended titles?

Barudak posted:

On a relatedish note apprently more 360 and OG Xbox titles are coming this year to back compatibility.

That would be good news, honestly. Yes, I barely play most of the old games that are currently compatible, but I love knowing the option is there.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I'll actually get one of those dancing games just for the novelty of trying it out.

Tsietisin posted:

Do you live in the UK? If so I still have my Kinect and a few games in not using. You are welcome to mine.

I live close, thanks for offering. Sadly, we don't have open borders/market anymore, so anything sent between nations is now taxed heavily.

univbee posted:

The original fat 360 of RRoD fame needs the power supply. The Slim and Elite 360 do not (so it makes sense if someone bought a Slim-with-Kinect bundle that it wouldn't include one).

The Slim and Elite 360 consoles have a special proprietary connector, usually with a red or orange line sticker next to them. If your 360 has this, you do not need a power supply.

If you only have normal USB ports, then you do (the adapter basically has this special port on it that you plug the Kinect into, splices in power, and then goes to normal USB).

Thanks for the detailed explanation. It's not amusing how hard it is to find proper info about this stuff, considering everything is Xbox in the name and there's two Kinects and none of those things ever became popular enough.

Mine is one of the original 360's. Surprised it's still working *knock on wood* more than a decade later. I remember the time we had to know what motherboard revision they came in to figure how easy they would get the RRoD. If I remember any of this stuff, I think it was the Jasper that was the best one, while I have a Falcon, which was "acceptable" but still in the dangerous zone. Who knows how much of that stuff was factual and not just hocus pocus of speculation.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 10, 2021

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Ryoga posted:

talking about kinect games and Child of Eden wasnt brought up? sure you can play it without it, but I thought it was a much better game with kinect controls.

Tell me about this. I have a very distant recollection of it either being based on Rez or actually made by the creator of Rez. Something like that. How did it turn out?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I missed entirely on the Xbox One generation and its follow up from the Microsoft side. I am however considering getting a cheap Series X for Christmas, but I think I need some quality exclusives (ie not available on Steam*, Switch, or PS4) before I have second thoughts.

So, I'm making a list of anything I'd like to try and didn't get the chance since 2013. So far it's got Rare Replay, Forza Horizon 3, and Halo Wars 2. What else would you recommend? Genre is not important, I like everything that's fun or interesting.

* note I said "Steam" and not PC because I can't deal with the extremely lovely Microsoft Store, so any exclusive from there counts too

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

You can't purchase Forza Horizon 3 digitally anymore, so be prepared to buy a used disc copy for that one.

Yeah, I'm aware of that and already eyeing copies on Ebay and such.

Twerk from Home posted:

Horizon 3 also was released on PC and you can buy a Steam code to play it there.

Microsoft Store exclusive to the best of my knowledge. I think they only started putting the Forza games on Steam with FH4 (which I own and love).

Twerk from Home posted:

Alan Wake 2 is incredible and it's never going to be sold on steam. You want a big exclusive? There it is.

Oh, that's a good one.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Zat posted:

Would Epic bring it to Steam though? Epic published it after all. I honestly don't know how likely it is.

They wouldn't. They have been doing the opposite by buying companies to get their games off Steam (Rocket League and Fall Guys).

veni veni veni posted:

If you care about exclusives get a playstation

That would have been correct a few years back, but Sony has been bringing stuff to PC at a good clip, so their exclusives matter less these days. I feel I haven't been missing much for not having a PS5.

veni veni veni posted:

if you care about gamepass, get an Xbox.

I specifically don't because I have a very large backlog and would feel guilty paying monthly for something I wouldn't use.

Ryoga posted:

Not to mention with a $20 dev license it's a really handy emulation box.

How does this work? I had heard about a $100 payment to be able to sideload emulators, but don't know the details.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Oh gently caress me, it's so tacky that it makes me want it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Simiain posted:

Dang. I already have it on PC, but I want to sit my arse down on the couch and play it

Friend, have you heard of the Steam Deck? :v:

Disco Elysium is definitively worth full price if it doesn't get a sale during Christmas. It's that good.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

kri kri posted:

why would i ever play on a tiny screen when i have a 65 inch oled

It was a post made in jest (why would you buy a new device to avoid paying full price for DE on Xbox) but you realize you can hook up the thing to your 65 inch oled, right? It’s a computer, it’s versatile like that.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

priznat posted:

Will it require installing the Ubisoft launcher on PC? Because ehhhh

Always with every Ubisoft game that isn't from 2011 or so.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Professor Beetus posted:

all due respect but you can go gently caress yourself for this post

Hello darkness, my old friend.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Anyone ever play Lost Odyssey? I picked it up a few months ago on sale and just now getting around to play it. It's a little sluggish but I feel like a lot of 360 games are.

It's the real Final Fantasy XIII by the people who actually used to make games for that series. Not perfect, "a little sluggish" is an apt description, but the story and characters are engaging and the soundtrack's pretty cool.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:unsmigghh:

Those discounts sure don't show up for me, sucks.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

American McGay posted:

Poor rear end

Look at American "Big Pockets" McGay here.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Yakuza 7 takes a bit long to establish what's going on at the start, but even if you aren't super into that, just power through those cutscenes because that game gets bonkers and opens a lot of venues as it goes on. Just.. the best. Absolute best.

Basically:

Tatsuta Age posted:

Any length of a RGG game you should be thanking the Lord for letting you experience

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yakuza games ftw

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

With a new opening in the console space it's finally time for Sega to make their glorious comeback :pray:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Kevyn posted:

SkiFree coming to Microsoft Game Pass

Finally something worth playing in this service.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

"Microsoft Gamepass Edition"

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Only the truest AAAA gaming quality for the discerning gamer on the Sony Playstation 5*

* Coming soon to Steam, too. Terms and conditions may apply. Not valid in Indiana.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I'm still impressed Sony, who always understood the benefits of backwards-compatibility, legit thought it was a good idea to release a new PSVR without some form of BC with the older model's games, even if just case by case through patches/updates. They just split the already tiny fraction of their VR audience into two while simultaneously making it obvious that it's not a safe ecosystem to invest on.

See ya never, Astrobot.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Cylinder gaming

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Gin posted:

I prefer Neurodivergent Lyft

I too played Yakuza 5.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John F Bennett posted:

If I didn't like the Metro trilogy, will I like the Stalker trilogy?

Depends on what exactly you didn't like, but probably not.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Its UBISofts best game in quite awhile.

That doesn't look like the new Prince of Persia, but I guess it may be Ubisoft's second best game in quite a while.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

What kind of mammoth PC you need and how badly optimized is DD2 to require one with that sort of specs? :wtc:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

otter posted:

Is Dragon's Dogma 1 good? (I have to assume so based on people being hyped for 2)
I bought it on switch a year ago or so and still haven't tried it.

It's a jankyass game from over 10 years ago when there was nothing like it. There's still not much like it, so it's worth a try to see how well you like it. A lot if you are into what it does well, or not much if you have no patience for it.

I wouldn't buy DD2 when you just bought DD1 and didn't even glance at it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John F Bennett posted:

I have requested a refund

What the-

But what are you supposed to do over the rainy weekend??

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

kri kri posted:

Probably play Starfailed

Jesus Christ!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Just make Game Pass work on Steam Deck, okay Microsoft? Thanks!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Timdog died for this? So this Ray Tracing wanker could get away and do whatever he pleases??

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John F Bennett posted:

Just finished the Fallout show, it was absolutely awesome.

I'm now in the mood to play Fallout New Vegas

Now that's proper taste.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

C'mon, Todd! Even as a thief back there you know that sometimes you gotta deliver something, right?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I said come in! posted:

If MGS4 ever comes to other platforms, there won't be a need for PS3 anymore. But honestly its better to just watch the cutscenes on Youtube.

So what you're saying is that MGS4 already came out to another platform. 'Cause that thing was just cutscenes and very little else.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Ruffian Price posted:

nah there was also hallways

You can watch those on Youtube too. Same experience, really.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

TheScott2K posted:

LoL @ Microsoft spending six years failing to reanimate the corpse of Forza Motorsport and 2.5 years funding development of the most mid Gamebryo RPG yet only for 8 episodes of TV to make everyone including my parents ask "what's Fallout?" with no new product coming any time soon.

Just wild, baffling decisions there.

Imagine having Obsidian, Bethesda, and Inxile all under the same parent company and not having them working together on something Fallout. DLC for existing games, New Vegas remaster, announcing a new game... anything?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

webmeister posted:

I would not

:yossame:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Remulak posted:

Rich guy says “layoffs are bad” then posts something he got free from a generative ai.

The utter loving temerity. Burn down the world.

With so many engineers in the industry worried they will soon be replaced by AI, you'd think some would band together to work on an AI specialized to replace CEOs instead. Think how much value that would provide the shareholders when the big corps would save on millions the CEOs get monthly for doing nothing all day plus the golden parachutes they get on the way out?

The suits at the top wanna race all the way to the bottom? I think AI can do that, too!

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Apr 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Seltzer posted:

Dreamcast was the best console of all time and it failed because the world wasnt ready for it

:yeah: