Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I want a Dead Rising game set on some crazy mega-cruise ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Oh wow, Electronic Arts games on Xbox!

Whatever next...

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The most important part of this new update:

quote:

Patch Notes Update

Other than all the games, we’ve got some updates coming to the Xbox (Beta) App coming next week:

Theme your background with one of 15 game options like Forza, Halo, Gears, and some great others.
View your achievements, and quickly set the achievement art as your PC Desktop wallpaper.
View other gamer’s profiles, see the games they’ve played, and their achievement history.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

Is there a specific reason why Rockstar never put RDR1 on PC, or did they just not feel like it was worth their time
Probably a combination of the Windows version of GTA IV being poorly received critically, GFWL being generally terrible to work with and them not wanting to devote resources to it for whatever reason. The PC landscape was just too different back then.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Another dumb one, or rather a series of limited edition ones:

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The DLC will probably be cheap over the holidays, if you feel the need for even more Witcher 3.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

It's great that we can recycle all those old "Xbox is huge" meme images from two decades ago and just replace it with this new one.

As for Goose Game, it's possible it could get on PC Game Pass since Metro Exodus and Phoenix Point both popped up there despite EGS exclusivity.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Google's customer support is Google. As in: You log on to https://www.google.com and type in your problem, then figure it out for yourself.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Stux posted:

did xbox one ever get the arbitrary remapping ps4 added cos if not then same for that but other way around
Yes, Xbox One has universal button remapping now.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

SUNKOS posted:

While Sony has been skipping a lot of events because they have nothing to show (not helped by shutting down so many of their studios) I think that in general, it's going to become more widespread across the industry with less games being released in general. It won't just be Sony showing the exact same game at events for five years before it's released, it'll be everyone. Next gen is going to soak up a lot of resources and we already have big developers who only managed to put out one or two games this console gen, and with the increased work needed for next gen it's going to slow things down even more and become a bigger strain for struggling devs, in my opinion.

I think the push to GaaS is only going to exacerbate this, as well. I can see studios ending up at a spot where they have their one game that's continually updated and iterated on, it'll be too much work to keep making sequels every few years.

:hai:

Costs are going up, budgets are growing because market expectations are setting a really high standard. More people, more resources, more time.

I do think Nintendo could manage to act as a wildcard in this scenario and continue at their own pace, as they tend to not chase the industry so aggressively. They might release a Switch hardware upgrade that doesn't come close to what the next-gen systems can do and potentially lose out ports of the biggest AAA games as a result, landing them in similar territory as the Wii years - not quite as drastic but there will probably be a notable performance difference.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Was it the find all orbs one? That achievement will elude me forever. They really did not make the noise for the final few ones loud enough.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

SUNKOS posted:

Cyberpunk, Doom and Dying Light 2 all looked far too good in their gameplay reveals for current gen consoles (except maybe the One X) so I hope they just delay them for next gen instead and we get to play way was originally shown. The Cyberpunk downgrade we've already seen is really disappointing, it would suck if Doom and Dying Light 2 ended up the same way. Next gen is nearly here, just spend a little extra time polishing and rake in that launch window cash because there won't be much competition.

The problem is that they've pre-sold tons of copies for those older platforms now. I fully agree that the game looked far too ambitious to run smoothly on base PS4/XB1 hardware but that was the promise CDPR made to people. See here:

quote:

A lot of people, after seeing last year's debut gameplay demo and the hardware it was running on, have become a bit wary of how Cyberpunk 2077 could look and run on consoles and low-end PCs. Is that a challenge in terms of optimization for lower-end hardware?

Actually no, we have a very custom engine, the RED Engine. And actually, we’re targeting consoles as first-class platforms and it looks amazing there. So obviously, if you spent, you know, $2,000 building your PC rig, it’s going to look better on that. But the graphics are quite amazing for what you’re going to get from Cyberpunk 2077 on consoles and low-end PCs.

They made the original demo PC build and then tried to hammer it later into a shape that would work on those platforms - they're now realizing that no matter how hard they try it's just not gonna work like they hoped. The CPU and RAM bottleneck is too much.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

IIRC Fear's AI doesn't work at all outside FEAR because it's based on nodes and points on the maps to give the illusion that it's being clever, combined with what you said about the barks.

That said it's still basically the best, FEAR owns

That's how a lot of game AI works. Prebaked node maps they're allowed to use; it's unfeasible to use in open world games (though some do or at least give "optimal" paths, such as when guards in Assassin's Creed games chase you up rooftops; they often pick specific parts of buildings to go up because the AI pathing is telling them it's a valid one). Placing large objects in said path is sometimes enough to cause a system like that to go haywire.

Hitman's AI is fairly good but let's not forget that IO has been doing these games for decades now and they know every trick in the book when it comes to cheating on AI behavior. You'll often see multiple NPCs fall into the same behavioral patterns or investigate things in the same manner, sometimes "grouping" up to do so because they don't communicate with one another very much. In the large crowd scenes (such as the Paris fashion show) most of the NPCs are faked and they only really have two states: Idle partygoers with canned animations or running out of the building if a panic mode happens.

The paper on FEAR's AI is available to read here - it's great how much it does with so little. It actually has it's origins in a planning system from the 1970s.

By the way, where is that guy now, you ask? He founded his own company which then got bought by Drift (ever heard of SalesForce? they're like that) making what I assume are website chatbots. :toot: At least it pays well.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Cyanide's Call of Cthulhu is the current free Gold XB1 game.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Red Warrior posted:

One thing about the last generation transition was people switched way faster than anyone had expected. Like immediately in the NPDs the 'next-gen' versions were outselling the current 360/PS3 versions of games. A lot of publishers got caught flatfooted still investing in 360/PS3 versions of games that really didn't sell.

If we get something close to the majority of games supporting cross generation for free that may smooth things out and people might stick with the current gen consoles longer.

The question is going to be how many next-gen only titles we end up getting for the next year or two. Microsoft committing to supporting both gens for a while, third party publishers I'm guessing will largely hedge their bets also, so will Sony really try to differentiate themselves with a slate of first party PS5 only titles or not. I think the answer there for Sony is going to be yes, so how will that shake out.

Cross-generational purchases are meant to make upgrading sting less since people won't need to re-buy their favorite games, but you're right that it might backfire and cause people to stick with old hardware longer. I expect Sony to take the same approach as Microsoft and and have most/all of their upcoming games be playable across both generations and give third parties the option to do the same.

At the very least I expect Ghost of Tsushima and Last of Us II to be cross-generational.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Disney delisted it for some reason (probably the soundtrack). You'll have to track down a disck copy.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

According to this list (Google Docs), Pure is region free. I don't take any responsibility for the list being accurate; it was compiled by the TrueAchievements community.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Plenty of Fallout 76 bundles. That's open world and RDR2 is open world, so it's basically the same.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Very much looking forward to Microsoft's sequel to GameCube.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Sony and Microsoft are currently locked in a staredown for the pricing. The crisis has also impacted their supply line and any future projections they had for price/profitability margins.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Tsietisin posted:

Just coming on the thread to say how much I despise the Ori chase sequences and I'm now at a point where I don't think I'm going to continue the game because I just cannot do one of them.

It really really needs a slip option after dying enough times.

The first one or the sequel? The second game, IMO, fixes a lot of the issues I had with the escape sequences and makes them more forgiving in terms of timing and the randomness of some obstacles. Not saying they can't be tough. And you're right, perhaps a skip feature would be good for those that just want to advance the story.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Red Warrior posted:

I'll be honest that I'm not sure the SSD speed difference isn't being overplayed some. The quantum leap in performance is from the 100MB/s or so of a regular HDD in the current gen to the 5+ GB/s we're looking at baseline on the PS5 or peak (?) with the XSX. That's 50x! Yes if the PS5 is 2x faster than even that, that's amazing, but the 50x improvement is absolutely nothing to sniff at and totally revolutionary in terms of baseline performance by itself. Like raw populating the total memory in 3-5 seconds potentially. I don't know what on earth you would be doing with textures that could require doing that faster.

Even larger texture maps, I guess.

This presentation would've benefited from a tech demo to really illustrate what the benefits can be like under optimal conditions. Like, for example, running a PS4 game that previously had texture streaming problems or very asset-heavy open world games with long load times.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Whoa, happened across this weird bit of news: Someone managed to steal AMD's R&D data.

AMD Statement on Theft of Graphics IP posted:

March 25, 2020

At AMD, data security and the protection of our intellectual property are a priority. In December 2019, we were contacted by someone who claimed to have test files related to a subset of our current and future graphics products, some of which were recently posted online, but have since been taken down.

While we are aware the perpetrator has additional files that have not been made public, we believe the stolen graphics IP is not core to the competitiveness or security of our graphics products. We are not aware of the perpetrator possessing any other AMD IP.

We are working closely with law enforcement officials and other experts as a part of an ongoing criminal investigation.

More here: AMD's Big Navi and Xbox Series X GPU 'Arden' Source Code Stolen and Leaked (Updated)

quote:

AMD has filed 'at least two DCMA notices' against Github repos that contained the stolen source code for the company's Navi 10, Navi 21, and Arden GPUs. The latter is arguably the most interesting as it powers Microsoft's forthcoming Xbox Series X consoles, while Navi 21 is thought to be the design for the RDNA 2 'Big Navi' GPUs.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Here's the thing: Quake wasn't an FPS either.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Decided to give Journey to the Savage Planet a try. Didn't expect much but it really surprised me; it's like a love letter to the Metroid Prime games.

The premise is that you've been sent to a faraway planet on a scouting mission to determine if there's anything of value there for the folks back home. The game has a very specific vibe to it - the bleak, offbeat humor is IMO pretty good but it won't be for everyone. You have a chipper AI companion that provides exposition and really doesn't seem to care about you as much as the mission itself.

Combat isn't anything special but there's some mild lock-on and the enemies haven't been too challenging so far (it also has been pretty good about letting me ignore enemies if I want, it doesn't do the "lock the player into a combat arena" thing). You can also find a lot of health upgrades early on so dying shouldn't be a big issue - though you should try that at least once. You unlock fast travel options pretty early on and I also got double jumping and a grappling hook.

Oh, it's also a very vertical game and there is a lot of platforming. If first-person jumping isn't your thing, beware.

If it keeps going like this it might end up being one of my personal favorites of the year.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Apparently Journey to the Savage Planet is getting DLC in like, two-three days?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X_9GwjskxU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I don't think the PS5 will have a very different one since people seem to like the layout a lot and it's readable. But then again, they made some changes to the controller and even renamed it, so who knows how wild they're gonna get with the design of the console or it's user interface... I just hope they put a recognizable movie logo font on there somewhere.

Xbox is constantly having it's layout and design language changed, with features added and removed and stuff moved around. You can't even easily get to the Settings from the guide now, you need to specifically go into My Apps if it isn't already pinned to a group or in your recently used list. It's very dumb.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

tjones posted:

Not that I'm taking up for MS being dumb about their UI design, but lol at the people complaining about poo poo that isn't true. You can get to the settings menu from the XBOX side menu, along with almost every other menu/section you'd ever need.

It's cool how you twist my experience of not finding something that's been moved in the UI into "poo poo that isn't true".

Anyway, you are right, looks like they moved it under "Profile" on the left-most side whereas previously it was its own 'System' tab on the right-most side. That's a good example of them constantly moving things around for no good reason like I said.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Previews for Gears Tactics have shown that there's controller options available and Steam page mentions partial controller support.

I don't understand why they wouldn't release it simultaneously on both platforms. Going PC first is unfortunate since Chimera Squad is also PC only and much cheaper.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I bought two pairs of Eneloops like a decade ago and they just recently started to refuse to charge. I've used them a lot.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Same here, the bluetooth signal when paired with a PC has all sorts of weird problems.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

There were plans for a Sleepy Dawgs sequel but nothing came of it and some details sounded... not good, such as a seperate F2P mobile game/app that would influence the main game and online meta features where an individual player's performance and actions would affect other players' worlds.

Then SE said "We don't want this but we did like the online features of the pitch, make us an online-only version of it" that became Triad Wars, recycling the game world of Sleeping Dogs in multiplayer form. That also never went anywhere and got cancelled like Nosgoth.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

You'd need another device to test ethernet with to fully check if it's working. Might be that something happened on the router.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Phew, this was real rough.

So they open it with what I'm gonna guess Microsoft thought was the most bombastic and effects-laden footage they had, which was Bright Memory Infinite. That game looks okay (gave me Crysis and Killzone vibes) but also... maybe a bit too busy visually? Anyway, it's essentially an Xbox version of something that was previously available on PC.

And then we go immediately into extremely gross body horror, which seems totally out of place but again I guess someone at Microsoft thought it was a good fit because they really needed to show something that was graphically impressive, which those Giger-esque models certainly were (though most of it was still motion stuff, so whatever). Completely loving mad that they put it in there.

So after that there's some driving, spaceships, football, a lady giving birth to a demon, generic-rear end anime action... nothing very impressive or notable, but at least it's new games being announced.

And then finally, the thing they've been stringing people along for: The promised AC: Valhalla "gameplay" is just footage that might as well all be cutscene stuff. What the gently caress.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

univbee posted:

The backend is a loving mess for Xbox 360 games, it's apparently part of why you can't just see a price for 360 stuff on the XB1 store.

Yeah, that one is crazy. My guess is that it's doing some weird "pretend I'm an Xbox 360 client browsing the legacy store" nonsense to call up the price, which is odd because you can see them on the old 360 web store just fine without jumping through hoops.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

This port of FF IX is pretty dire. It feels like a mobile port and Square-Enix appears to have done the bare minimum. I wasn't expecting large improvements but even the booster features don't feel great to use. If I want to speed up something like a fight I have to do Start > RT > Start and then repeat that to disable it, every time (and there are certain parts during transitions where the Start button won't respond). It gets pretty annoying, why wasn't there just a modifier button combo? Hold Select + LT to fast-forward?

That and very suspect font choices, audio/visual bugs... yeesh. It's embarassing how little Square-Enix cares about these ports (probably because they sell regardless of the effort put into them, so why bother?).

FFXII: Zodiac Age did all this a lot better, and also gave you different speed presets whereas FFIX only has 4X speed.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I finished the story of RDR2 just yesterday after tinkering with the game for two weeks.

One one hand the amount of content in this game is staggering. I've put around 150+ hours into it and still haven't seen some stuff that I know about, for example the numerous KKK meetings. I've tried to not use guides and just naturally stumble onto things. There's such a large variance in encounters - even though many of the random stranger events are similar, Rockstar created many different permutations of them to keep things fresh. There's a lot of things to do that don't relate to the story and many of the game's best moments are contained in freeroam encounters and secret places you just accidentally find.

But the game is not without problems. In fact, it has a ton of them. The controls are not the first thing I'd complain about, in fact I kind of respect Rockstar's commitment to be different in that regard. It all reminds me a lot of the early Assassin's Creed games and how Patrice Désilets wanted to make the control scheme feel like puppeteering:

quote:

And so Désilets found himself returning to the stage. Only this time it was a virtual one, populated by an audience of crowds and NPC enemies. “For me, videogame characters are the beginning of a roleplay,” he explains. “In general, in games you don’t play a lot of the character – you fight the control scheme or the character does something you can’t relate to. We wanted to make Altaïr close to a real human being. We had this idea of making the control scheme like controlling a puppet – so you could play the actor part of it. That’s why you don’t lose control in the cinematics.”

When Désilets first thought of this, his acting classes came back to him. Stanislavski’s theory that physical movements hold the key to an actor’s emotional memory seems particularly apt: you might not be able to emote through speech, but you can do so through Altaïr’s actions – by shoving through crowds, attacking passers-by or quietly blending in among scholars.

No, what I feel holds the game back is how a lot of it is still rooted in the gameplay fundamentals of GTA III. Rockstar has been incredibly stubborn to evolve their game systems; just as the presentation factor is constantly upgraded above and beyond modern standards. It's a strange contrast.

The story and writing is definitely better than anything Rockstar has put out before but that doesn't mean it's necessarily great. I'm sure that during its 6-7 year development period tons of things got switched around and changed, because the story we ended up getting in RDR2 is a hot mess of contradictions and tonal whiplash. I have enough thoughts on it that could fill a decent essay but here's my general breakdown of the chapters:

Chapter 1: Really good and incredibly strong opening
Chapter 2 Decent but lengthy, somewhat stretched
Chapter 3: Started having some second thoughts about the writing quality
Chapter 4: A large slog until you get towards the end, then it picks up again
Chapter 5: This did not need to be in the game and could've been cut out entirely
Chapter 6: Pretty dreary throughout for obvious reasons but I did enjoy some of it, finale sucked rear end though
Epilogue, Part 1: A nice change of pace after what came before, perhaps the best chapter aside from the first one
Epilogue, Part 2: My favorite was building the house, wish that was more involved, honestly

There's still a lot of smaller complaints I have, such as: The dissonance between what Arthur writes in his journal and how he actually behaves when interacting with people, the constant rehashing of the tension between Arthur and Dutch that gets stretched far too long, stupid sniper missions where you're stuck in scoped mode and have no awareness of who is shooting at the people you're supposed to be covering, enemies literally spawning behind you as a lame "gotcha" despite the emphasis on realism and sense of place elsewhere, the shooting gallery murder sprees that would make Nathan Drake flinch, having lots of money but not being able to pay off debts due to "story reasons", etc. etc.

...but overall I enjoyed it. It would've never been my GOTY for 2018, that's for sure.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Microsoft delisted the original Forza Horizon almost exactly 4 years after release (they gave it away to Gold subscribers shortly before it happened) which I can only guess was due to music licenses that they didn't want to renegotiate for.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I think Microsoft is hanging onto Undead Labs specifically because they're still very interested in seeing them do that zombie MMO the studio was founded to create. Assuming zombie stuff will still be in vogue when that ever arrives.

quote:

November 23, 2009 – Seattle, Washington – When flesh-eating, shambling undead corpses invade Seattle, Undead Labs will probably be the ones responsible. Video game industry veteran Jeff Strain today announced the formation of Undead Labs, a Seattle, Washington-based game development studio that’s on a mission to take online gaming in bold new directions. Undead Labs’ sole focus will be to create the definitive massively multiplayer online zombie game (MMOZ) for console gamers.

Forza Horizon 5 will probably be shown, as that would follow the 2012-2014-2016-2018 release pattern of the previous games, maybe pushed to 2021.

ErrEff fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Um, yikes. Amusingly, in their haste they also removed the "Get ready for new gaming possibilities you never anticipated" line at the top so... good thing I never anticipated them, I guess?

Speaking of which, why is Sony's site always such a hot mess when it comes to dumb redirects? I go to playstation.com and it forces me to my local region site which has almost no content, so then I have to manually edit the URL to en-us to see the proper US site. But once I click the huge PS5 thing at the front page I get sent to my local region version of that page, which doesn't exist. And that resulting problem sends me to a 404 page so I have to go back and manually copy and paste the link for the PS5 page, except that isn't possible because the URL for the PS5 page is literally "playstation.com/ps5" with no region modifier. How is it possible to engineer a website for a giant media brand this badly in 2020?

And no, changing the region to United States actually doesn't work. Their cookies are broken.