Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

univbee posted:

Not even remotely correct. There have actually been very few consoles that launched higher than $299 (with many below that, like $199, or even $189 for the Genesis). This is literally the entire list.

Neo Geo MVS
Philips CD-i
3DO
Sega Saturn
PS3
Xbox One (the third)
PS4 (the fourth)

It's the first time a next gen console has launched hamstrung, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I know everyone's tastes are very subjective but I always found the PS exclusive argument as the huge reason it was a better console really weak. I 100% admit they had more and better first party titles last generation but over the course of 7 years on this list all I feel I've missed out on is Bloodborne, Yakuza 6, Nioh 2, and Ghost of Tsushima.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:PlayStation_4-only_games

Missing out on four titles over seven years isn't a big deal to me. Thats not even factoring in how I'm able to play Forza, Ori, Sea of thieves etc on gamepass. I know most MS games go to PC as well but I only get consoles so I'm comparing games available on PS vs Xbox. After seeing the games line up of both consoles if MS flight sim (on console), Avowed, and Fable 4 deliver I think its already a better "exclusive" line up going into next gen. Again that's my personal tastes but I think the PS exclusives argument is really overblown for most people.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ineffiable posted:

Just wanna say that I'm pretty sure avowed and fable 4 are only teaser trailers at this point so not exactly a great argument to portray as an exclusive lineup. I mean if you're gonna start hyping up or declaring them as exclusives worth mentioning, at least wait until we get better hands on looks otherwise you're gonna look like the goons who hyped up Anthem after that brief totally marketed intro trailer.

That's why I said "if they deliver". PS line up was essentially trailers and concepts as well.

Seedge posted:

Four titles out of 74 seems like you're writing off a lot of good games to me. What's the Xbox list look like?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Xbox_One-only_games

Did you miss the part where I said games that are also on PC but not on ps are "exclusive to me" as I only buy consoles? People only looking at consoles are thinking can I play this on PS or can I play this on Xbox?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Pre-orders go live the day after in Japan.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I'm not gonna get my hopes too high but the Blue White controller makes 0 design sense on its own. Clashes with the X and the fact that MS and Sega have been getting friendly (Yakuza Like a Dragon releases XSX enhanced with launch while no PS5 date) recently makes me think something's up. TGS and Presale date as well.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Dishonored 2 no longer leaving gamepass this month as was planned... makes sense with the Bethesda acquisition. The other game slated to be removed and then kept in... Panzer Dragoon Orta by Sega. It's gonna happen

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I know Xbox one controllers are supposed to just work on XSX but does that apply to 3rd party controllers as well? I use a fightpad I like on the one from Hori

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

univbee posted:

So here's a curiosity. Here's a list of the top 100 games played on PS4 last month (August 2020). Aside from the titles which aren't on PS4, what games are any of you actively playing on PS4 or XB1 that aren't part of this list?

Tekken 7, tekken tag 2, tekken 6, virtua fighter 5, fallout new vegas, skate 3, Totally Accurate Battle Simulator, middle earth shadow of war, dishonored 2/death of the outsider, outer wilds, Ikaruga.

So 4 games with gold titles and 6 gamepass titles out of 12 games (I bought tekken 7 but it's on gamepass now). Ikaruga was free with gold on the Argentina store (iirc) if you managed to snag it online. Xbox really does just provide crazy value for me personally.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 29, 2020

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

BonoMan posted:

The Series X and S aren't great names, but it's not a huge deal or anything...

...but that Box design is just actively loving terrible. Like.... real real real bad. Both in just aesthetics and UX. What the gently caress man.

I don't understand this opinion at all. It's a non descript black box that manages to be somewhat compact for what's inside. It's both significantly smaller and less ugly than the PS5. Boring? Ok. Terrible.... No

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ah ok fair. I did stumble upon this neat comparison given the dimensions.

https://comparesizes.com/comparison/PS5-Disc-vs-Xbox-Series-X/1601499891403

The PS5 Is so drat huge it's incredible

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Akuma posted:

Does Kiwami on the Xbox have auto saves?

I beat 1 and 2 recently and I'm pretty sure both of them have autosave. More importantly when you manual save you don't have to go to a phoneboth, just do it from the menu. 0 was excellent but the save mechanic was mind boggling.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

The menu is fast and you can just click my games and apps and pins and have the 20+ things that you might want to select up to choose from in under half a second (you add your own pins).... Much to do about nothing

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I'm not gonna read that one guys post but everything points to the xbox running at normal temps and quiet. I bet when an actual playstation is allowed to be in the hands of a real person and not the Sony containment center it'll somehow run hotter than the xbox (but still be in an acceptable range)

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Yakuza 7 enhanced first. Also I put off my play through of Sekiro 1/3rd through when I decided to get the XSX. Gonna be very nice going from the One to the XSX.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Halo does nothing for me really and 343 is not great but I'm starting to think that all these developers have been getting really screwed with by corona and 343 was the only ones to be upfront about it instead of thinking hope and crunch would get their game out on time.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Akuma posted:

That's p. fun. I'm pretty sure I have never played COD: Advanced Warfare though so I don't know what that's about.

Interesting av lol

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Laserface posted:

so whats the deal with a series X on a non-variable refresh rate display?

hopefully games let me decide to crank detail and stick to 60fps instead of pushing the pointless higher refresh rates that my TV cant do.

It's up to the developers I think. Yakuza 7 has 1440 60 and 4k 30 options for instance (ill be using the 1440 60). While it'd be nice for large amounts of customization in settings across the board, looking at a few next gen enhanced games, it seems developers will be giving more options this generation in general.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Yakuza 0 (and 1 and 2) is really good and im very happy MS oddly got first crack at next gen for Y7. Sleeping dogs is also good but comparing the two isnt really useful. I'm actually playing the sleeping dogs remaster right now, It has really fun combat and driving but the world feels empty. Yakuza's word and activities make the game and it is just very different overall.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

PS5 doesn't have a web browser lol

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Yakuza 7 is awesome. The longest load screen is about .5 seconds. Going from the old xbox one to the series X is crazy. I downloaded skate 3 tetris and some other small games to try out quick resume and that's an amazing feature as well. I believe it's just utilizing the one x upgrade but drat going from the one to the series for Skate 3 is crazy. It's so clear and crisp.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I got the X but the hysteria around the S is dumb. My XB1 that I had until yesterday had the same internal HD space (maybe less?) and while definitely not ideal was not a big issue. I was able to easily have 10-20 games on it at a given time. Every time the space argument comes up someone talks about COD like clockwork. It's an incredibly stupidly huge game compared to most titles and not everyone wants to play it. Sekiro is 12 gb I dunno why a game that is about fourteen times its size always is used as the example.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 12, 2020

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

AlmightyBob posted:

It's seriously so great on the series x

I love skate and with the enhancement and quick resume its legit so dope now. Imagine owning a console that doesn't have skate 3 or a web browser.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Barudak posted:

Yakuza 7 silently got fixed to work with Quick Resume and it rules

Yeah I just noticed that too. It's also incredible how much content is in this game. I've played a lot and I can still tell I'm at the beginning. I know it's previous gen and the X enhancements aren't big but 1440 60 fps and importantly 0 load times just feels amazing. Looks great and feels like a next gen game even though its technically not. Whenever a load screen does pop up it's literally about one second.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Nov 14, 2020

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah it's very very good

I hated Xbox controllers for years partially because the dpad sucked and I used to play a lot of fighting games. I've been using this one for Tetris and Tekken and it just feels great.

I play a few fighting games. The new pad is nice but honestly just do yourself a favor and buy a Hori Commander fight pad for 30-40 dollars. Its way better than the base xbox (or PS) controller.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Stating the obvious at this point but the machine is silent and the heat from the vent is "slightly warm". Hard to believe the heat thing was even a thing.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Quick resume rules and is probably one of xbox's best features. A few tips to get the most use out of it though. If you're cycling through just 5 games or so it works fine, if you run through a bunch there can be hitches. For now I just quit out of online games when I'm done because they need to reconnect anyways generally and I also quit out games I know I won't come back to for awhile. I've got Skate 3, Tetris, Sleeping dogs, Yakuza 7, Sekiro, and Battlfield 5 all in quick resume and they've all been working flawlessly for days now. BF5 is online but the intro screens are annoying so it's nice to cut through that.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Crafty posted:

Sekiro kick you back to login screen though? Has network features that disconnect for me - or are you paying offline mode

It just works for me. I checked and it's online mode.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I know new users are important but PS and XBOX really should allot something like half the stock to preorder for players with the current gen console. So if you have a recently active xbox account tied to an xbox one you should be able to preorder in some manner that way.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Knowing that most EA games are coming to gamepass in the future is great and I'll probably never buy a new one again (EA stuff usually sucks and the the sports games are rehashes, better to wait) unless its Skate 4 or a new fight night. That being said Battlefield 5 is on gamepass and enjoyable. I paid 0 attention to the launch so I don't know how much they've added/fixed since then but playing a 64 person Wake Island round is very fun.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Yea it's all really funny and reminiscent of the Xbox running at 250f poo poo.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Crafty posted:

I haven’t actually tried the new controller since I have an elite, but this ear blasting dpad chat had me intrigued.

I don't notice it but now because of this thread I probably will. What games are you playing aside Tetris where it's an issue though? I have a pad for fighting games and every other game uses pads infrequently

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 22, 2020

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Have you played celeste? Probably should

I beat it when it came through on games with gold and I used the stick.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

So what's all this talk about 3rd party games playing better on ps5 that Reddit is freaking out about? I honestly wouldn't have got both systems if that continues.

Seltzer posted:

Yea it's all really funny and reminiscent of the Xbox running at 250f poo poo.

Xbox's dev kit is a lot newer and ubi and other devs are trying to poo poo out games across generations and a ton of platforms during a pandemic basically.

The fact COD just released and is crashing new and old xbox and PS consoles should tell you how well this year is going for new releases. Speaking of I don't like cod really but a bunch of friends have it but I'm not getting it until the crashing is resolved and a sale is in effect

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Nov 23, 2020

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Oh Also Yakuza is still GOTY and if you want to do a quick test on how you feel with 30 vs 60 fps just go back and forth between the 4k 30 and 1440 60 mode in the options real quick. The 1440 60 is so much better.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Crafty posted:

Thinking about buying a just cause game in this sale. Never played any of them, is 4 the best? I know they’re all dumb

Just Cause 2 was very good. I played 3 and 4 and forget which one was the one I liked of those two (they were on gamepass). But the main issue with those games was that I was on a One and the FPS would crawl to like 10 (seriously) during any battle so the X will make things much better. The framerate was what made 3 and 4 bad not gameplay.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsQldhmN5XU

DF check out back compat on JC3 in this vid- 3m 30s. The one x struggled and I played this on the OG lol.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Valhalla patch dropped to fix issues on the X also now 60 fps on the S. Might grab it on sale now that the bigger issues look to be solved.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

It's lame because tekken has a decent player base on xbox and is on gamepass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Crafty posted:

I tried destiny 2 today since it’s on gamepass, and 30 FPS just feels like absolute poo poo after playing lots of halo at 60 lately. I’m going to have to park it till the 60 FPS patch is released in a couple of weeks time.

I went from having zero interest in sea of thieves to giving it a real try now that it loads right away and is 4k 60 fps.