Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

A step in the right direction. Imagine a scenario where the state lotteries were run like the NBA lottery. It'd be a disaster in many ways.

Dejan Bimble posted:

Diamond Stone has the posture of a gamer shut-in. No wonder he's a total bust and failure with injury issues and was humiliated by a very average looking woman with a rude attitude.

One of the litmus tests for being NBA ready should be the ability to defeat Peter Mansbridge in a game. Anthony Bennett couldn't do it and got verbally roasted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JZr_GKwmtY

Diamond Stone may be in trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/chicagobulls/status/909805319546560514

Loool Nick Friedell being used in state run media.

R.D. Mangles posted:

JESUS CHRIST

In the year 1982 a film called E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial was released. This particular scene captures my current existential angst: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACVup4Bqhfw

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Lockback posted:

At some point LAL, NYK and Chicago are going to get good again and the list of teams losing money is going to balloon.

Looking at the Knicks franchise totals (WP%, SRS etc.) year by year the mediocrity is remarkable. 70+ seasons and only one team with an SRS over 7 (nearly fifty years back). A sad legacy.

Chicago is dangerously close to zero (and negative) population growth. Twenty years from now if all three of those teams have remained junky I wouldn't be surprised. In a few decades Chicago may be #4 in population overtaken by Houston if things continue at this trajectory.

A century seems like a safer bet as that's how long it took the Cubs to win again. Although by then society may've undergone an irreversible paradigmatic shift. There's always that point where a society collapses and all sports are destroyed as the poorest in the population are weaponized and attack. Raiding marauders, barbarians etc. always show up and nobody will have time for sports when the hordes are looting millionaire/billionaire mansions and devising ways to break into the trillionaires underground lairs. It always happens.

He'll grind the Bulls youngsters into the ground if they follow his mantras. I remember that 76ers squad that played well for a few months and then died in the second half.

Niwrad posted:

Unfortunately this city was dumb enough to build the White Sox a stadium because he threatened to move them down to Sarasota or something.

It's a giant parking garage. Baseball in a giant parking garage.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

leftist heap posted:

I wish athletes were basically 1000x more political than they are.

Why should athletes and sports be apolitical when nobody else with money would ever even consider it.

If athletes were that political I don't think they'd have any interest in playing sports.

Depending on what kind of argument/scenario one was constructing (or ones political persuasion) it's not hard to make the case that athletes/sports/celebrities have been detrimental (and liabilities) to certain political parties/politicians at various points. Within current US the affiliation with Hollywood and celebrity in general is a massive liability in certain regions.

You can see growing discontent and wedges as more and more people are refusing to watch any pro sports.

Of course, it doesn't make sense fully as DJT is an extremely wealthy celebrity himself. But in politics very often it's not what you are or what you do but what you say.

:lol:

That's brave of LBJ with his current stature. He must be of the mind that US political assassinations are a thing of the past.

Space Camp fuckup posted:

Oh boy, here's another attempt at the Anthony Bennett reclamation project

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/911241338854805506

AB could play for five different teams (one in each season) in his first five years. That might be a first.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Libertine posted:

I love reading about what politicians think about athletes and what athletes think about politicians. It's riveting stuff. Maybe we can find out what the Speaker of the House thinks about the Melo trade or find out what the new look Chicago Bulls plan to do about the State of Illinois' budget crisis and outstanding pension liabilities.

Twitter is a scourge and it must be annihilated.

Niwrad posted:

The new 3 alphas

The Bulls organization is slowly reminding me of the growth of pod people in Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956, 1978).

Watching the last vestiges of your franchise die and be replaced by an army of monolithic Yes Men who speak as one and don't make any sense. This scene captures the horror of the sane Bulls fan in year 2017 :nws: :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlIo3_eddrU&t=64s

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Dejan Bimble posted:

I think it depends on your career field. If it's going to damage your future employment prospects you have to consider that. If you can create a corporations and work as a contractor then it's not as bad. But if you're going to lose say 30% of future earnings, you need to make up for that.

So assuming I'm me, I'll go with Dexo and say 1m/yr. But for the average person whose lifetime earnings are worth 2m, your rates are more than fair, plus the innocence tax, I would agree to them if I was a Morris who was paying out.

Is that a worldwide average or a US citizen or something?

When talking about jail time and recompense I'm reminded of that scene in Cape Fear (1991) when Max Cady (Robert De Niro) confronts Sam Bowden (Nick Nolte) (the man who screwed him into a 14 year sentence) and then tries to give him $10K for all that hard time. Max Cady laughs in his face:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V_FcDZAOpE&t=135s

I'd want eight figures considering the extra risk of doing this kind of thing with unstable athletes.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The Bulls are going to be awful.

The B_36 posted:

...I think [Wade] still has another season or two of being a potent weapon for a contender if he wants it.

EvanTH posted:

If it were a playoff game you'd still want Wade over most of the league's 2 guards. His regular season play is deceptive

I'm skeptical as Wade was mediocre in the 2014 finals and now it's four years later.

Spacebump posted:

Can he still play defense? I didn't watch much Bulls last year.

At times but there were games where he was gassed in the first quarter.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Cool Buff Man posted:

TT has a small superpower in that he's an amazing offensive rebounder, which makes him uniquely valuable and important to the Cavs. Faried is more of a bog standard board getter. TT is also a better rim protector than Faried

Faried has higher career ORB%, DRB% and TRB% numbers.

Libertine posted:

The Knicks are a terrible team who need all the talent they can get and they have been desperate for over a year to find a way to get rid of Melo. Like how does that speak to his talent in any way?

ESPN and others are now putting out stories that these sickly OKC/CLE Frankenstein teams are on GSWs level.

Kibner posted:

ooh, this is actually a pretty big scheme change for the Pels:

https://twitter.com/ScottDKushner/status/912374622322126848

They're emphasizing something that's not even important.

Niwrad posted:

https://twitter.com/SBN_Ricky/status/912384953673011200

This guy wrote articles saying Gar and Pax are not good at their jobs. Guess who didn't get credentialed.

:lol:

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

kingcobweb posted:

I have a $100 bet with a friend on Minnesota: I have over 48.5 games, he has under

He thinks it's absolutely comical that Butler will change the team that much, I think that the other players will continue improving and the team wasn't actually as bad as their 31 wins, thoughts??

The team is probably better than 31 wins but the jump from 31 to 49 is BIG. There's virtually no precedent for it occurring. It's possible if everything goes perfectly (unlikely).

scuz posted:

[list][*]Our bench has improved (it was impossible for it to get worse)

Yea, MIN was 29th out of thirty last year:

code:
Tm	2016-17 Cumulative Bench GmSc/48
LAL	16.11
DEN	15.93
HOU	15.86
GSW	15.2
SAS	15.16
CHO	15.02
MIL	14.85
MIA	14.75
DET	14.54
DAL	14.16
BRK	14.03
NYK	14.02
PHI	13.91
NOP	13.79
ATL	13.77
IND	13.75
SAC	13.55
LAC	13.3
PHO	13.28
BOS	13.21
MEM	13.07
OKC	13
TOR	13
CHI	12.7
ORL	12.49
UTA	12.28
WAS	12.15
POR	12.14
MIN	12.13
CLE	11.38
Not much room to get worse.

OzFactor posted:

Zogo, assuming you're going to set up your yearly poll, can you have us all guess as to how many regular season games Wade will play?

AggressivelyStupid wanted a poll question on who would play more minutes between Kyrie and IT. But now that IT seems injured I could throw Wade into the mix as well.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Me sitting next to Wade and LBJ while they're clinking wine glasses:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_NfCmTkLPQ&t=67s

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

zoux posted:

They work hard and are under insane pressure. So if we say that someone's salary should be commensurate with the actual amount of sweat and stress someone puts out, who does more than pro athletes?

The Foxconn worker who works so hard making the new iPhone 8 Plus that he/she decides to take the "big jump" into oblivion after years of being a slave.

Away all Goats posted:

The cynic in me says the new lottery reform makes the rigged results of the draft seem more fair :tinfoil:

You are correct. The suspicious example of CLE winning three #1 picks in four years exactly as they did in the 2011-2014 period was a 1 in 1,927 proposition under the old rules. Now taking those same lottery rankings and applying the new rules it's a 1 in 922 scenario. Likewise, the 1992 and 1993 Magic had a 1 in 435 shot to win those two drafts under the old rules. Now they'd have a 1 in 357 shot.

In a pure lottery the likelihood of CLE winning three #1s in a four year stretch would be 1 in 27,931.

Also, the thing about getting a #1 pick is that in the last thirty years you basically need to retain two #1 picks to get a title.

code:
2011	NBA	Cleveland Cavaliers	Kyrie Irving
2003	NBA	Cleveland Cavaliers	LeBron James
1997	NBA	San Antonio Spurs	Tim Duncan
1987	NBA	San Antonio Spurs	David Robinson
And, of course, a player like LBJ comes around very rarely and the Spurs situation was not typical of a team getting the #1 seed as Robinson was injured.

Shaq fled to LAL to get his rings and Glenn Robinson joined SAS in 2005. All those other #1 picks are ringless chumps.

Paul Zuvella posted:

IT
DRose
Wade
Lebron
KLove
Khloe Kardashian
JR Smith
Richard Jefferson's podcast
Comic Sans
Dan Gilbert's son

THE TEN ALPHAS

IT, Rose and Wade could all fall apart and I wouldn't be shocked.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 29, 2017

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Lockback posted:

We know what it looks like when a bad team doesn't have draft incentive: The Brooklyn Nets. It didn't make them win any more games and they were still appalling basketball. They just traded away their best player this offseason and they still don't have their pick.

That's one franchise with a reckless owner. I don't believe their modus operandi can be extrapolated across the entire league.

WhyteRyce posted:

To an uninformed outside observer, deliberate tanking is indistinguishable from a rebuilding team that is playing all their young guys. It's not really an easy to create rules that identifies and fixes the problem

To an uninformed outside observer, basketball probably wouldn't even make any sense at all.

Carlosologist posted:

I guess teams aren't incentivized to tank anymore but doesn't this make it harder for a bad small market team to get a top talent?

Less incentivization to partake in extreme tanking. Still some incentivization to tank at certain increments and rungs. A good argument could be made that all teams should have a lottery shot (excluding the top three seeds in both conferences). Considering the likelihood of a team winning a title as a four seed or higher is trivial and happens once or twice a century. That would nullify the middling 8 seed, non-playoff team dilemma.

Also, with how awful the Bulls, Lakers and Knicks are it will be harder for any small market these days.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 29, 2017

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Lockback posted:

Because we know for a fact teams will still bottom out even with 0% draft odds (Nets), so now it just makes it more likely that really bad teams don't get the help they need.

It won't do anything other than make bad teams stay bad longer, and reward some waffling, 30 win team with no clear strategy with a top pick.

The reality of bad teams is never going to go away. The league has decided they'd rather have bad teams at least trying than teams trying to kill themselves.

Nobody can talk objectively about these draft systems because there is too much chaos and disorder involved. It's telling how many like to predict the future on a grand scale (in many areas of the noosphere) decades into the future but nobody can even prove who will win the NBA title in five years.

Rick posted:

With the way free agency is now it's extremly hard to win a title for most teams through any other way than the draft, and nothing's changed about that so good luck being a fan of a bad team.

And this is exactly right. Like yes, the Lakers very blatantly finished last season tanking hard. But even if they had been playing their best, what would the difference be? One or two wins?

Even with the ideal draft system it's extremely hard to win a title as the top new talent often isn't very talented.

In the 3P era here are the teams that had the worst WP% in the league who won the title later:

code:
2008 Heat	
2003 Cavaliers	
2002 Warriors	
1994 Mavericks	
1993 Mavericks	
1989 Heat	
1985 Warriors	
1983 Rockets	
1982 Cavaliers	
1981 Mavericks	
1980 Pistons	
The Heat sank to the bottom twice, Cavaliers twice, Warriors twice, Mavericks thrice, Pistons/Rockets once.

It's not just about wins/losses but ensuring that the best product is being put out on a game to game basis. Very few want to see two tanking teams play. A lot of fans don't want their best players being sent home with months left to play in the season (Tyson Chandler).

xbilkis posted:

It seems like the new odds will also broaden the scope of tanking, too. Before, when you were the 10th worst team, there's no real reason to put in a lot of effort to move up two picks unless some protection scenarios gave you an incentive to do so, because moving up in the lottery is still a long-shot.

Now, you can get a 1/4 chance of getting a top-5 pick if you're the eighth-worst team, so why not maximize your chances?

That's true but the issue of a few average teams tanking in end of March/April (the least important part of the season) is less significant compared to a franchise willing to self-immolate and jump off a cliff before the season has even started.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Libertine posted:

Therefore, NBA athletes should protest during the anthem because...? Is there a single good reason? Assuming you agree with the intentions of the protest and want to see meaningful change in the structural systems that cause oppression, this doesn't help address any of them and the result may lower both revenue and interaction in a way that gives players less compensation, visibility, and power to actually make change. So why?

Yea, it's funny when these athletes take dumps on politicians but I don't think people realize that this kind of stuff solidifies bases and creates groundswells of support. All these people having their Twitter skirmishes/battles against mastermind Trump are playing his game and they're probably going to lose (if they want some 2020 D president). Some of Trump's polling numbers are going up in recent weeks. Uh oh.

Now an interesting question is whether anti-Trump people would want more protests and athlete insults and in trade end up with another four years of him as POTUS.

Billions of jealous disenfranchised who will never be millionaires. The starving, the homeless, the modern-day sex-slave. To name a few.

Shear Modulus posted:

I don't get why they took odds away from the worst team and gave it to other teams if they wanted to disincentivize tanking. Now you don't even have to engineer a worse team than everyone else who's tanking as well as the really-lovely-by-accident teams to get the best odds. It reduces the barrier to tanking.

There are varying degrees of tanking.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 29, 2017

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Dexo posted:

oh goddamnit, who installed the bad political take add-on into Zogobot.

The Russians did it. What's bad?

Punkin Spunkin posted:

don't have a big enough eyeroll for this tone policing hypothetical BUT WHAT IF THE WHITES GET MAD poo poo, zogo

Sorry but that's not what I meant to say at all. What's your opinion on that hypothetical?

CharlestheHammer posted:

It's like that bot that became an insane racist

What did I say that's insane or racist?

Redgrendel2001 posted:

You're a relatively smart guy Zogo, but this is pretty retarded.

I've heard many, many times how we're supposed to have a conversation about things like this. So explain it to me.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Rick posted:

You of all people should know the difference between anecdote and fact, you don't know what fans think about winning and losing and don't have any evidence to support it.

And the reason that lowest win % doesn't translate into titles that often are varied but considering the Kings, Wizards and Clippers make up the majority of the worst seasons there starts to emerge a pattern.

That's true that fans vary from team to team. But I do have strong evidence that the owners have sided against extreme tanking.

Dejan Bimble posted:

It's very possible to agree with the protest against police brutality and understand that when it becomes a larger issue it can benefit politicians who use racist dogwhistles as a dialect.

...but last sunday's pro nfl disappearances were not and as was stated are the first step in complete co-option of this particular protest.

I think the larger issue is that there's a massive difference between what people know of as "America." Some people think it only means the good things, the stereotypical immigrant stuff and bootstraps and freedom. Other people see it as police brutality, neocolonial violence, poverty and immiseration. The people on the bad side should make an attempt to communicate the world as they see it so that the side that sees no problem can understand their position, because for every 2 people who are just reflexively reactionary racist, there's someone who genuinely doesn't know and could be turned to a better course.

Yes, at this point LBJ could flush the American flag down the toilet on live TV and the message will have been lost. Colin Kaepernick could win a SB ring with the world's biggest and most intimidating and most frightening afro (to racist John Q. Public) and then detonate TNT near a Stonewall Jackson statue (angering many in the south). But I'm skeptical things will change.

Likewise, on the other side Trump could go on TV wearing a military uniform looking like a dictator and berate all athletes with curse words and racial slurs for the next few months and threaten to lock them all up. Anyone thinking he'd lose a lot of votes in 2020 over those actions is living in La La Land or another liberal bastion.

At the national level Trump and the anthem/flag vs. athletes and knees is being distilled down to generic platitudes and boilerpate divide and conquer agitprop at this point. It's working as can be seen by a growing sense of anger among millions. The peasants, proletariat and plebeians are greatly angered on both sides of this debate. The elites are likely pleased. They've staved off the revolution once again!

Again...sorry if I've offended anyone (very easy in the political realm). I'm talking in a lot of hypotheticals and abstractions here. I'm not coming in here wearing a MAGA hat and waving a confederate flag.

A circuitous step in the right direction in some respects.

Lockback posted:

The Nets haven't been badly run the last couple years, they've been doing the smart thing in their situation: Taking on bad contracts for assets and making plays to overpay young RFAs to hopefully find something (not sure I always agree on every move, but I think the strategy is sound). So if your a bad team, your going to do this anyway, which will result in lots of losses anyway, but now you have less value in your draft pick. It won't stop teams from shutting down decent players or trading away good role players for pennies on the dollar, teams will still tank (because it'll still be the best prospect) they'll just be stuck tanking longer now. Yippee.

I think these scenarios are possibilities and not necessarily 100% guarantees. That's why I'm in favor of the pure lottery.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Carlosologist posted:

I largely agree with Zogo's assertions, but the only thing is that Trump's base was already a minority that relied on a coalition of dissatisfied white middle class people and if he keeps being an idiot they'll want another change. That's my only opinion.

It's a definite possibility. It'll depend if enough people remember broken promises or if they forget what was said and latch onto whatever Trump is saying in November 2020.

milk milk lemonade posted:

Would everyone shut the gently caress up about politics in the basketball thread and post a funny tweet or IG thanks 🙏

Just a couple days back Poppovich said we needed to have a lot of political conversations and that it would be very uncomfortable.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

But neither you nor zogo are proving it's "true." Not liking the idea of it being false doesn't make it true. You're just asserting beliefs and clearly I disagree that some silent majority is being swayed for trump because athletes want to be publicly political. More like a loud minority.

You and Zogo are just "saying" it's true, and I'm just saying I don't think so. Agree to disagree.

That can't be proven yet. I'm not saying it's definitely going to be true in this situation. It's a hypothetical and it's not outlandish as politicians can twist one thing into something else very easily.

I'm saying that getting in a Twitter/media war with Trump is a bad idea as he's an expert in those areas and has decades of experience as an actor/TV star/celebrity. SA skews heavily D so most here are inoculated against his wiles but a lot of non-Ds are literally mesmerized and enamored by Trump's Twitter and television proclamations. It's easy just to call him names but he knows what he's doing (at least in terms of getting votes rather than policy and political capital) especially more than the average athlete in 2017 USA.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Charles Barkley on new schedule: “These poor babies can’t play back-to-back games”
https://sports.yahoo.com/charles-barkley-schedule-poor-babies-114104592.html

Henchman of Santa posted:

The vast majority of people who put Trump in office are the same people who vote for anyone with an R next to their name. Liberal and left wing criticism of him is not what will get him re-elected. It's really just a matter of Democrats getting their poo poo together. Protest away, I say.

Millions of people who voted for Obama in 2008 and 2012 voted for Trump in 2016. That's part of how he won.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Like sorry but the only scenario in which I'm worried about 2020 is if we decide AGAIN to run the 2nd most unpopular presidential candidate (Hillary) against the 1st most unpopular (Trump). Any democrat in a suit could've beaten the man. I don't think Hillary has the gall, so I'm not about to start handwringing about athletes publicly protesting black men being murdered in the street by police officers

It's hard for a political party to win three straight presidencies at the current time. It's a tougher sell. After eight years some of the base is disillusioned and the other party is invigorated. Obama had a very good shot of winning in 2016 if that was legal. I think there were people out there that could've done it but were suppressed for various reasons but saying "any democrat in a suit" is going really far. There are a lot of really unpopular democrats out there.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Ghost Dog posted:

yeah, wrong

https://poll.qu.edu/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=2487

such an ~expert~ that everyone is indeed tired of him winning at twitter

That's true but that's a different issue. I never said most Americans like his tweets. Only ~10% of Ds want him to tweet according to that poll. When it comes to election day I don't believe there will be many voters going into the booth saying "I was going to vote for Trump but he sent too many tweets."

He's got tricks up his sleeve and will easily use the media again in 2020 if he wants. I do believe he'll continue using sports/celebrity feuds to stoke things as he's done WWE wrestling in the past. I remember last November and how much confusion, shock and disbelief there was when he won and it seems like it's already been forgotten and he's already being underestimated again.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Political MEGA dump. Feel free to skip if not interested:

tanglewood1420 posted:

http://www.crmvet.org/docs/60s_crm_public-opinion.pdf

Don't worry about 'public opinion' or what the 'optics' are. Protest justly and history will prove you right.

That's true in many areas and in many timelines and fits somewhat within US progressive issues of the last half century and India (Gandhi) comes to mind as well.

However, taking a knee or hiding in a locker room during a nationalistic ceremony doesn't come close to going way down south and having a milkshake dumped on your head and being hosed down by a powerful water cannon. Then being hit over the head with a chair just for walking into a segregated restaurant. Being beaten to a pulp, dazed and confused and left to rot in a jail cell for a few weeks (or worse) because you have the wrong skin color.

That kind of violence expressed in moving pictures or imagery is a POWERFUL thing that builds up horror and sympathy and is revolutionary and transformative.

Also, some just protests/movements don't end well. There are dark periods in many countries where the just protestors are all gunned down or sent off to the gulags before it can spread without any fruit to show for it.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Eh your assuming competence that isn't really there.

It's possible I am in some areas.

After analyzing a few thousand Trump tweets the persona of a pompous buffoon with a silver spoon emerges. However, that's the easy and surface conclusion. Digging only slightly deeper one can find the Trump that embarrassed and outwitted dozens of experienced R politicians with billions of dollars at their disposal in those debates and in discourse/posturing.

He had enough competence to win the election and now as the incumbent he wields full presidential powers: wiretaps, NSA data mining/spying apparatus against political enemies, the power to start new wars when it's politically expedient, more lethal drones etc.

I've noticed partisans in many countries have difficulty giving credit to political opponents. One can disagree with someones opinions and policies and sayings 100% but still acknowledge political skills (mainly TV skills these days). It's just like a lot of Rs giving Obama zero credit for winning in 2008 like it was a piece of cake. No, it's just "I hate Obama!" Like even if Rs authentically and genuinely believe that Obama isn't a US citizen that should make his election victory in 2008 even more impressive.

Ghost Dog posted:

you keep painting a picture of some incredibly savvy news manipulator winning the media battle when its demonstrably false. its not a different issue. you said getting a tweet war with trump means he wins. it very, very, very clearly does not mean that since hes been in a tweet war with the entire nation this whole time and is losing support on every single front.

He won the election by being controversial and bombastic and used the media without having to spend a zillion dollars because he was a ratings machine. And his favorability ratings were lower than HRCs leading up to the election. I didn't say he necessarily wins but that green athletes engaging like this could lose or their whole message could be hijacked and backfire. Trump spun it into anthem/flag vs. athletes very easily. That's a losing political dichotomy.

Ghost Dog posted:

i dont get how you can even think the most unpopular modern politician by far is some untouchable media demigod. it boggles the mind.

The fact that he's so unpopular and STILL won is what makes it impressive and intriguing. I wouldn't go so far as to say that he's an untouchable media demigod.

From those two quotes you mentioned I was talking about different things. The first I was talking about some of his poll numbers (somewhat facetiously). The second quote I'm talking about change that the protestors want and how Trump could very easily twist them into puppets and obfuscate any message. That hypothetical I threw out was about wondering how many of these athletes are cognizant that they can be used in that way. And how it'd be preferable for players to get their unfiltered message out without being used. It speaks to the same dynamic when it's players vs. owners in the NBA. Most know that the owners are going to win in the court of public opinion and in getting more $$$. I think everyone would agree that politicians know more about politicking than athletes.

Regarding that race relations poll: it probably isn't going to be a prime issue in the 2020 election and that's why Trump is talking about the flag/anthem and not police brutality other issues.

PS when I called him a mastermind that was sarcasm.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

ESPN analyst: Agency paid Kevin Love's AAU coach $250K
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...0000/106062594/

"If I was going with an agent," said Kevin Love, "why would I ever go with a guy who, no offense, but he crashed a motorcycle into a tree. I'm not going to go with a guy that's reckless."

DeimosRising posted:

Any evidence for this assertion? Turnout was down, he got a lower % of the vote than Romney, and population growth was highest in states he (and republicans generally) won (meaning elevated electoral votes without any necessary corresponding growth in voters). The legendary working class Obama counties (like here in WV) went Republican largely because turnout collapsed. Evidence of both candidates cheating to goowe their totals and they still had a participation rate drop, that's not a sign of a realignments it's a sign of collapse

"Still, the data say turnout was less of a problem for Clinton than defections were. Even the oft-predicted surge of new voters backing Trump was more myth than reality. Global Strategy Group’s review of Ohio, with Catalist, found that Clinton won a majority of new voters in the state. (Global Strategy Group examined North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Ohio and Nevada as part of its analysis).

Belief that turnout was the main reason Clinton lost, however, remains a prominent theory among Democrats."

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/nation-politics/report-obama-turned-trump-voters-cost-clinton-election/

Ghost Dog posted:

i cant predict elections and im not gonna argue about why exactly we are in this situation despite the fact that everyone hates cheetoh hitler but the only actual metrics we have for what you are talking about all say the polar opposite of what you are. he is not spinning things in his favor, hes steadily losing support on every single issue he touches. it puts the lie to this idea that politically active athletes are somehow poisoning the well. i guess his "groundswell of support" is that 25% of people

I'm not going to make an outright prediction on the 2020 election at this time either.
Also, remember there are a ton of incognito Trump supporters lurking around that you'd never know about because they're hiding and don't want to be branded a racist and don't want to be ostracized in public and have their Trump hats stolen etc. e.g. https://streamable.com/t2qo5 :lol:

This goes so deep that people are now lying in polls so the whole industry does have an issue there. That's why his true power levels are hard to quantify.

I agree that it's a different situation in many ways.

You can see part of the issue with those ESPN poll questions is that they're very generic questions compared to the specific and pointed poll questions tanglewood1420 posted. A ton of people still have no clue (and probably never will) as to why athletes are kneeling/sitting/hiding etc. during the anthem. The way those ESPN questions are framed still don't illuminate much.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Michael Jordan Takes Hot Wife to Dinner In Rare $400 Nikes
http://www.tmz.com/2017/09/29/michael-jordan-date-night-air-jordan-sneakers/

Derrick Rose says he’s no longer playing “revenge basketball,” will facilitate with Cavs
https://sports.yahoo.com/derrick-rose-says-no-longer-010520917.html

Every college basketball recruit who’s decommitted amid FBI corruption investigation
https://www.sbnation.com/college-ba...-arizona-auburn

Jack's Flow posted:

Has this been posted? The NBA GM Survey for 2017-18:

http://www.nba.com/gmsurvey/2017#/

Not yet.

Here's the 2018 Poll:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe5jlRXMKx2syJOudEMHtkJj65fvCiCEV-BE1E8nfIYIElhAQ/viewform?c=0&w=1

It will remain open until some point on 10/17.

Time to call DCFS.

R.D. Mangles posted:

lmao The Marksman already has back problems. Sorry you got drafted by the Bulls, big fella.

The Bulls are going to be a night off for most teams.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

EvanTH posted:

Why would seemingly every respected media company converge to present a misleading narrative?

Yellow journalism, misinformation and disinformation happen for many reasons. Human error, human laziness, political pressure from a variety of sources, pleasure in lying (yes, some people in news organizations, when caught, have admitted to derive enjoyment in lying to the public), groupthink, erroneous sources with made-up stories. There are other reasons but those are the ones that immediately come to mind.

EvanTH posted:

What benefit is there to telling people the Democrats were not complicit and encouraging of mass financial malfeasance?

Potentially $$$ kickbacks, political self-aggrandizement, careerism, not rocking the boat, direct requests from c-level executives and upper echelon politicians.

Observing the characters in the following films should fill in most gaps on political deception/TV/newspaper/general media issues concerning your current questions:

Ace in the Hole
All the King's Men (1949)
The Battle of Algiers
Broadcast News
Citizen Kane
Cutter's Way
A Face in the Crowd
Network
The Parallax View
Spotlight
Sweet Smell of Success
Z

A dozen is plenty.

EvanTH posted:

And what should anyone make of this trend?

A trend is developing based on Trump's media proclamations and the coverage he's getting. Trump says the media is bad so R opinion plummets and vice-versa with the Ds. Mass media has changed over the years. TV news departments used to not be so much about profit many years back. Obviously that has changed.

EvanTH posted:

Are sports is the only place where humans really try to balance our ideals of fair and lawful, everything in front of the refs eyes, and still take into account the human tendency to test the limits of every rule in an effort to succeed?

Humans try to balance ideals through rules and ideologies all over the place but it never works perfectly.

EvanTH posted:

Is that why people turn the games into grand historical institutions, vaunted histories, cherished collective memories, statues and plaques lining the memorial halls for the honored ancestors?Or is it just because dunks and dingers are deeply sick and it feels right and good to catch a ball ? Also, how can the net amount of entropy of the universe be massively decreased?

I don't think that's a primary reason. Sports are entertainment because athletes are doing stuff constantly that the average person cannot. Sports history is rife with cheating and disgraceful junk that is not popular today.

Only massive amounts of time (if ever). There is not consensus on these issues. Watch A Brief History of Time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYnHtEXJOjA if you haven't already.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 4, 2017

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

This looks like people who haven't picked up a basketball in years.

Spacebump posted:

Picking East teams to make the playoffs that weren't Cavs/Celtics/Raptors/Wizards/Bucks was hard.

Time posted:

I'm going to be the first poster ever to get all eastern conference playoff teams right. Don't quote this next year

Yes, over the last four years SA is 0for351 in getting the eight teams correct.

There are 6,930 different possible combinations of eight playoff teams in a fifteen team conference.

The formula for this:
n! / r!(n-r)!
n = number of teams
r = playoff spots

(15*14*14*12*11*10*9*8*7*6*5*4*3*2*1) / ((8*7*6*5*4*3*2*1) * (7*6*5*4*3*2*1)) = 6,930

So there's a long way to go to randomly pick the correct eight. Or picking all sixteen teams would be 1 in 48,024,900.

Of course the bigger challenge would be guessing the correct eight teams and their correct seeding. The likelihood of randomly guessing the eight teams and their rankings is 1 in 259,459,200.

(15*14*13*12*11*10*9*8)

Or all sixteen teams and their seeding: 1 in 67.3 quadrillion.

Brolander posted:

i hope i got every thing right

To score a 30/30 would be extremely difficult. Excluding these two questions:
Name the rookie WS and/or PER leader: Name the overall WS and/or PER leader:
(as they're impossible to attach perfect right/wrong probabilities to at this point).

To randomly reach 28 points by being accurate on all other questions is a 1 in 756.2 quintillion prospect.

Spacebump posted:

One of my favorite things about these threads.

Here is a good question for everyone. The last season (15-16) Dirk and Melo were both healthy, 37 year old Dirk had more winshares than 31 year old Melo. Assuming both stay healthy enough to play most of their games this season, who has more? (Keep in mind Melo was bad last Olympics outside of one game, so simply playing with better players doesn't necessarily mean he will play better0

Dirk is 39 and might cross the regular season 50,000 MP mark this year so I'd go with Carmelo.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

HOW DO THE BULLS HAVE A ROSTER FULL OF LITERAL NBA PLAYERS WHO CANNOT FINISH A LAYUP HOW DO YOU MAKE IT TO THE NBA WITHOUT BEING ABLE TO MAKE A LAYUP I DON'T UNDERSTAND

The 2018 Bulls should watch mid-1990s Bulls highlights until they can replicate them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il7iDgU8YfY

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

I don't know any off the top of my head, but are there any modern players who are good at the FT line but terrible from distance?

The prime examples last year were Giannis Antetokounmpo and DeMar DeRozan.

Spacebump posted:

Don't most championship teams have multiple hall of famers?

Yes, but no championship team had two of the best fifteen scorers in league history and the most versatile player ever in accumulating the big five stats. If a team has Julius Erving, Shaquille O'Neal and Charles Barkley you don't give much credit to Paul Pressey.

Dejan Bimble posted:

But no player like that has been the best player on a championship team since?? Pau and Shaq were arguably better than Kobe.

In the 2000-2002 finals Shaq had more than double the GmSc of Kobe:

code:
440.8	Shaquille O'Neal
215.5	Kobe Bryant
In the 2000 finals Ron Harper put up better numbers than Kobe.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Spacebump posted:

A full list of teams that won with two of the best 15 scorers in league history
00,01,02 Lakers (Shaq/Kobe)
82/83 76ers (Moses Malone/Dr. J)
70-71 Bucks (Kareem/Oscar Robertson)

(including points from the ABA for that 76ers team.)

Those six are all top twenty scorers. At the time of their retirement Malone, Erving, Kareem and Oscar were top fifteen career scorers but none of those pairings played with someone who was at KGs level.

tanglewood1420 posted:

Warriors '17 (Curry/KD)

Add in draymond for your "PF who gets all five counting stats" guy too

I'm talking career numbers. Curry needs at least three more very elite scoring seasons to break into the top fifteen. Green isn't close to KGs body of work either:

code:
Player		PTS	TRB	AST	BLK	STL
Kevin Garnett	26071	14662	5445	2037	1859
Draymond Green	3566	2684	1627	415	540

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Is there a YouTube or something that explains how the NBA works? I've decided to like basketball but I'm a Euro and I don't know anything. I know Steph Curry is good

YouTube Lesson #1:

Don't over-inflate a basketball. It may explode and kill someone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgRIrixQHvg

This is a dunk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ4GA3GB3Wk

This is Michael Jordan. He is good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9vTN01SU6I

zoux posted:

The coasting begins early this year

https://twitter.com/cavsanada/status/865019681614286848

Sharparoni posted:

Similar to Kevman, I personally set up the Cavs' recent run of success. While playing slots at the casino in Cleveland, Dan Gilbert walled the floor to see if everyone was having a good time. I was only down $300 at this point so I said yeah, and he said great. I said hey Mr Gilbert, I have an idea for fixing the Cavs. He said ok. I said LeBron James is a free agent, he's from the area, and even used to play here previously. He's good at basketball and you should sign him. The rest is history

Later after the 2016 Finals, Gilbert called me up and said thanks for the tip and as a reward set me up with a great 73% rate on my mortgage as a laugh at the Warriors victories from the regular season

:laffo:

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

EvanTH posted:

GSW probably spreads it around too much to get any top 5 WS producers, but KD is a perennial top PER guy.

If KD remains healthy he could finish at the top. If he played a full season last year he could've been #1 in WS.

Blind Pineapple posted:

Are we doing that pre-season prediction poll this year, or have I just missed it?

So far there are 113 respondents. Biggest turnout ever:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe5jlRXMKx2syJOudEMHtkJj65fvCiCEV-BE1E8nfIYIElhAQ/viewform?c=0&w=1

xbilkis posted:

Draymond Green: "Why don't all these dumb loving teams just add the second-best player in the league to an already-elite roster?"

Good to have some extra juice for hating the Warriors heading into the season

Green is exuding hubris. You'd think after being suspended in the 2016 finals he'd have some humbleness. He better hope KD remains healthy in 2018.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Carmelo Anthony responds to report of his Jordan Brand signature shoe ending
http://newsok.com/carmelo-anthony-responds-to-report-of-his-jordan-brand-signature-shoe-ending/article/5567566

“What? No, no. He just told me that just now," Anthony said. “It’s false. False," Anthony said. "Let’s not even discuss that."

NASA test ‘NEW Concorde’: 2,179mph jet to fly from New York to London in 3 hours REVEALED
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/647526/nasa-test-new-concorde-supersonic-jet-new-york-london

Hope for European NBA teams spring back to life.

There are some good stats mentioned here.

"92 percent of MVPs finished in the top four in MVP voting at some point prior to winning MVP outright. (LeBron has finished in the top four 11 times -- by far the most of any active player.) The King remains the King.

If teams weren't high on you coming into the league, chances are you won't be an MVP. Every MVP in the modern era has been drafted No. 15 or higher. Good news for Giannis. Bad news for Butler.

Individual advanced stats are key; 84 percent of MVPs registered an average of at least 0.20 WS/48 in the season prior to winning the MVP. The Brow's candidacy gets a close shave.

Numbers don't lie. Players who deliver at least a 24.0 PER in the season prior to winning account for 82 percent of all MVPs. That's a full nine points higher than the league-average PER.

Sorry, Russ. Voters get bored. A whopping 79 percent of MVPs didn't win it the year before. The only to do so (in the modern era): LeBron, Steph, Nash, Tim, Moses, Bird, Jordan and Magic."

Surprised that they didn't mention the vast majority of MVP winners being on the one or two seed.

the_american_dream posted:

Ig i can't ask who its targeted to thats obvious but who wants this

It could get a lot of views and clicks based on how popular she is. We're talking billions of views here.

"I am thankful to Complex for the opportunity and to Gilbert for being a part of it," Khalifa said. "I can’t wait to offend and upset a whole new fan base." Arenas also shared his excitement around the new show. "I always knew that I wanted to work in sports media after retiring, and Complex just made sense. Being able to talk sports while being myself is truly rewarding."

Complex's own Pierce Simpson will serve as moderator (or "Coach Pierce," if you will) as Khalifa and Arenas square up over the biggest stories in sports.

I would most definitely occasionally watch Mia Khalifa debate Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Is there a YouTube or something that explains how the NBA works? I've decided to like basketball but I'm a Euro and I don't know anything. I know Steph Curry is good

YouTube Lesson #2:

This is a technical foul:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-xdqzQ3-gc

This is ESPN analysis. People pay real money to watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r06rvgRLSw

These are the NY Knicks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yvmORtYbYk

Lockback posted:

? Thibs likes playing 2 traditional bigs, but for SF he just kept playing Deng forever then Butler and Dunleavy. I don't think he ever played Gibson/Noah/Gasol for any length of time or anything.

Over two seasons they played one possession together.

chunkles posted:

I swear on my life there were some Gibson-at-SF lineups but maybe that was just a game or two

He did ~6% SF over his Bulls career.

Me watching the 2018 Bulls:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMQCyJ2lhu8

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

32 crazy predictions: LeBron's future, a bunch of trades and more
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21002422/zach-lowe-32-crazy-nba-predictions-2017-18

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Is there a YouTube or something that explains how the NBA works? I've decided to like

basketball but I'm a Euro and I don't know anything. I know Steph Curry is good

YouTube Lesson #3:

This is bad defense:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkwfh_6TG0A

This is how you fail a dunk contest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Hjg8IXSzWk

These are the 1996 Bulls. They are much better than the 2017 Knicks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6icwrLvZGhA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Last reminder to do the poll as it closes tomorrow:

dangerdoom volvo posted:

YouTube Lesson #4:

Two (of many) ways a player can be ejected:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i7ax0KjPX8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EogzHNEiCWU

This is Kareem. He is the GOAT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTL8dW6PqPE

This is Shaq:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujl9rx-RURo

Lockback posted:

Don't feel like you need to watch every game.

Everyone should aspire to watch all 1,230 games.

• Locked thread