Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Pierson posted:

Also can any RDMs show your hotbars? Having a little trouble finding a layout for mine that flows well between black/white/melee actions.

At work so I don't have it in front of me but:

1234 are Jolt, Impact, Verfire, Verstone - the spells you will actually be hardcasting
QER - the melee combo, easy to reach
M4/M5 - Verthunder/Veraero - easily​ pressed for instant casting
Shift-M4/M5 - cure and raise, also easy to hit but won't cast on accident
Shift-4 - gap closer, weird but it's my "ranged attack on melee classes" button so muscle memory demands it goes here
X - jump away move
M3/Shift-M3 - the oGCD damage abilities, shift for the AoE one
Shift-123QERFTG are where I put buffs and other random abilities that aren't core rotation things
V/Shift-V - Shatter and the AoE cone thing that spends black/white mana

I think that's most of it?

Edit: also I like that RDM is straightforward, as someone who has a really hard time keeping track of classes with too many dots/buffs/positions, I love it. My focus is on ensuring I do check my mana and use the right abilities and I can get into a nice rhythm with the class that I can't with most other classes. It lets me actually have enough time to watch the fight and not miss mechanics like I did with old Dragoon and it's enormous number of oGCD buffs and moves plus constant wiggling to be behind/beside the target as needed.

Slab Squatthrust fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Beaten hard to the punch

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Ohtsam posted:

No they started selling a complete edition. But stormblood standalone does not have HW

The Stormblood preorder absolutely included Heavensward, I really doubt they pulled it out at the release date.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Yeah RDM has some fun balancing acts you can manage. I'm pretending that I'm at 70 and always try to keep my mana slightly off from each other. If you have even black/white, you can also go fire/thunder/fire or stone/aero/stone without hitting the 30 difference (that's 9+11+9 for 29 total). After that though, even if you have another fire or stone proc, you'll need to cast Jolt or Impact and cast the opposite mana builder.

Also, the timer on fire/stone (and maybe Impact too?) is more than long enough that if you get a proc but are already at 80+/80+ mana you can dive in, fire off the full melee combo, jump out, and then use the proc. I guess you'd need to make sure it's a proc for the higher of your mana pools at 70 though, so you don't overwrite it with a new one from flare or holy.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Ainsley McTree posted:

Pvp is supposed to be good leveling now too, though I'm a little unclear if that's just with the roulette daily bonus, or if you can just grind it

Shatter at least seems to net about 12% of a level per match at 60+ from my friends claims. Sub-60 it's less xp than PotD for a similar amount of time. Also you get that xp win or lose, at least for now.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Harrow posted:

Y'know, maybe my issue with Red Mage is that its rotation is too... transparent? The best way I can describe the feeling is: when I use a spell as a Red Mage, it's not because of what the spell does, but because it's the next spell I'm supposed to use. The spell I cast has less to do with the effect the spell has and more to do with the fact that it's the next step in my rotation and/or because the button lit up. It feels like a mini-game more than a coherent in-universe fighting style.

While that's fundamentally true of every job, many others sort of "hide" it better. I'll use Black Mage as an example because I've been using it as a comparison this whole conversation. When I cast Blizzard IV, it's because it gives me Umbral Hearts I can use to cast Fire IV cheaper or keep a scrap of MP after I cast Flare. When I cast Fire III, it's because it maxes out my Astral Fire immediately so I can get right to doing the most fire damage I can. Sure, under the hood, it's because I need those Umbral Hearts or Astral Fire stacks for my rotation to stay on track, but there's an immediate, tangible effect where I go, "I want to cast X spell to do Y specific thing." I like Samurai a lot because it has a similar feeling--you cycle through the different combos not just because you're supposed to, or even just to build up a resource, but because they each have an immediate, tangible effect (debuffing enemy slashing resistance or giving you a speed buff, etc).

This is a really, I dunno, "mushy/feely" way of describing my issue with a job's design so I totally get it if this sounds like nonsense or I'm coming across as more of an idiot than usual.

I think you just don't like the RDM playstyle. What you're describing isn't really all the different mechanically, it's just the why. You cast what you cast on RDM because it's the correct mana builder at the highest potency without creating a >30 variance. Once you keep that balancing act up long enough, you dump with melee. It's usually fairly straightforward, but managing it while never wasting a proc is a challenge, and when you get streaks of one color proccing and the other not, you're definitely adjusting on the fly.

I prefer it a lot personally because RDM is a priority system, versus the fairly rigid fixed rotations most other classes have. Like, you're very rarely changing up what spells you cast in what order with BLM, there's a specific order that is best, and ideally you'll never waver from that.

The skill in BLM is executing your skills correctly even when forced to move or things go sideways, and recovering quickly if that disrupts your flow. Being able to weave together everything to create those crazy bursts of flare x3, etc.

The skill in RDM is making sure you're always maintaining the balance and pressing the best button for the situation, which gets more complex the more things proc. They're different and probably not everyone will enjoy both, but I don't think just adding more buttons would enhance the feel of RDM for me.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Oxyclean posted:

Verstone and fire exist not to be similar to aero and thunder, but Jolt. I guess I see what you're saying when you say that RDM is all about making your mana bars go up, but I find that's what makes it interesting. Almost every cast is a decision tree depending on procs and your mana.

Yup, same. It might be a "mini-game", but I like it. I'm super glad they didn't do all that other stuff, because almost every single other dps class in the game caters to that style of play, and RDM is finally very different feeling.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

SKULL.GIF posted:

What we've been saying is that the decisions are so easy to make that they might as well not exist.

Not always the case, but someone flying on autopilot might not even notice that they're potentially wasting procs, or casting too much before diving in, etc. I think that you'll see a difference at 70 between players that are on autopilot for most of the rotation and ones who aren't.

It's much easier to start fixing your mana at the bottom half of the gauge to make sure you're not even at 80+ mana than it is to wait until you're at 70 and only 1-2 GCD from being able to dive in. With the way the procs work, it's very possible to find yourself constantly evening out your mana if you always do the "cast short ability then dualcast the lower mana of the long abilities" thing.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly:

I think the Weakness mechanic is kind of dumb? I get they want there to be a punishment for death but I don't think it adds much on top of the fact that you lose all your resources when you die. That's already a harsh punishment that can ruin someone's run, throwing on an extra damage reduction feels like adding insult to injury. If it was one or the other it'd be fine but both is eeeh.

My limited understanding is that it's to prevent effortless mechanic cheating. If a fight has a mechanic that can be avoided/mitigated by someone dying and being rezzed, that's what people will do. Weakness prevents that from being a mostly painless choice by nerfing the damage/healing of that party member.

Otherwise you'd have black mages being sacrificed left, right, and center to mechanics since they can recover full mana in seconds with Umbral Ice, then mana shift the healer that rezzed them to recover that as well. Only limit would be number of Swiftcast rezzes available, which is now effectively infinite with RDM in play as well.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Blue mage as a job using CUL as the base class, FF9 style. Find interesting monsters and cook them to learn your new abilities. :colbert:

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

SettingSun posted:

Classic WoW, much like pre-ARR FFXIV is a wild ride to read about and really makes me question how much people really want things like official classic servers and such.

I have some friends that were super excited about the classic wow server that went up. With some more modern changes like an improved economy and I think some balance work done so Paladin wasn't just a buffbot, etc. I told them they had serious rose tinted glasses on, that if classic wow dropped today it would be regarded as an awful dumpster fire of design, but they ignored me.

They lasted a few weeks. No one even got to 40 I believe. One friend enjoyed that threat management was a thing again, but that was about the only positive that I heard the whole time. Now they're all playing this game.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Boogalo posted:

A vanity tab would still be lovely since it wouldn't alleviate the need for retainers full of bullshit you might want to glamour someday. Diablo 3 has the best system where anything you bind gets added to a list of available glamours you can apply for a small fee. In FF14 it could be a right click option "recover for glamour" that destroys the gear and adds it to your list. I'd expect that to be cleaner in a database than discrete pieces of gear with all of their inventory slot/materia/soulbind/durability data.

This is also how WoW works as of Legion. Go to transmog dude, select item you want your gear to look like, done.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Ultra pvp-protip: put raid markers on enemy healers. This causes Pubbies to actually realize* that there are healers on the enemy team and kill them, instead of beating on the tank being double healed.

*results not guaranteed

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
So for RDM you want to always use the Dualcast procs for Verthunder/veraero. If you have a stone or fire proc, you cast those then instant cast thunder or aero. If you don't, you cast Jolt then instant cast thunder or aero. You never want to burn dualcast on one of the 2.5s cast time spells on purpose.

AoE at 3 targets is Scatter > thunder/aero > scatter until you reach 100/100 mana. Then you can Enchanted Moulinet down. Cramming in manafication and extra Moulinets as you need.

Edit: at 4+ mobs you just Scatter forever until you hit 100/100, unless there's a big target mixed in.

Slab Squatthrust fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 3, 2017

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Someone was saying its DDOS attacks again in my FC chat.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Gumball Gumption posted:

Drops+Token garunteed in x number of runs.

Maybe they could have some sort of currency drop? That you could turn in for items?? Nah that would never work

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, right now my strategy is single target rotation for 1/2, scatter-> Aero/Thunder or Scatter -> Stone/Fire if it procts for 3 or more, I wasn't sure at what point Scatter started being worth it so I mostly used it for the huge-rear end pulls. If it's 4 or more I'll have to adjust a bit.

For 3 targets you should be doing Scatter > Aero/Thunder. Ignore Fire and Stone procs, since they are both weaker than Aero/Thunder and give less mana (9 v 11).

The reason you use Scatter at all at 3 targets is that it's giving you 300 potency on 3 targets, vs the 270 of Fire/Stone/Impact or the 240 of Jolt. Aero/Thunder are also 300 potency, so at three targets you get the same damage but more mana per cast.

Once it reaches 4+ targets, you just Scatter all the time as it's 400 or more potency.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Ainsley McTree posted:

I feel like since this requires the unlikely combination of a bard who remembers to use that song, a rdm who remembers to use mana shift, and for the two of them to coordinate and use the abilities at the same time, it's probably pretty rare to spot it in the wild

Yeah I mean tbqh the only mana I'm paying attention to in a fight is mine and the healers. Pumping mana to them is more important with pubs. Now if I were on voice and someone asked for it, sure, np.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Bell_ posted:

And Zenos. At the very end, I'd like to think that while everybody else was screaming the WoL gave a little wave and shy smile.

Xenos is totally the cyborg ninja guy from MGS. "More!!"

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Concurred posted:

I mean literally directly in front of him.

That's what the first image is showing. You'd run off to the left or right side, and the tank should turn the boss so it's back is to you so you're still in/near the safe line.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
There are days where I feel like I'm a fully functional adult, and that I work very hard. Then I see things like this and realize I am actually a sentient garbage can.

Looks pretty awesome dude!

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Also, I find it hilarious that people complain how the WoL is a murderhobo but also complain when the character doesn't just murder everything. Like, yeah, could you probably kill the whole Azim Stepped culture in like, a week? Sure, most likely.

But maaaaybe that's not a great idea. Eorzea doesn't need to become Garlemald 2.0 and stomp the entire planet into the ground, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Had a Red Mage just now in Shisui complain that i shouldn't be stance swapping because he kept ripping aggro off me in Deliverance. Once i told him i'm going to keep doing it because i like to do damage, he spent the entire next pull AFK typing out some long diatribe on how it's a leveling dungeon and it doesn't matter and i should learn how to "weave" Overpower into my DPS The pull he sat out was slightly slower, but suddenly there were no issues, no problems with the ninja or the healer taking aggro at all.

Why he waited until the last pull before the final boss is a bit of a mystery to me. Correct me if i'm wrong but it seems like just randomly throwing in overpowers while in Deliverance is a bit of a waste since aggro gain sucks dick while you're in Deliverance and that is time that is better spent Fell Cleaving/Decimating.

Uh, I mean. I play RDM, my buddy plays WAR, and is rarely not in DPS stance after the initial pull to grab aggro. I basically never hit diversion. Only time I can manage to do that is on a boss pull if he's in deliverance and I open up with a bunch of crits, or it's one of those weird two-boss fights and I'm attacking the wrong target for too long. Throw in an aggro ability every so often and you should be good.

The DPS having to stop dealing damage so that you can do it instead is going to slow down the run and probably annoy the healer. If they're good enough to pull aggro off you, there's zero chance you'll be able to pull enough DPS as a tank to make up the difference compared to what they're losing by throttling themselves back to make sure they don't pull off you.