Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Adel posted:

50-60 has felt more like being a couples therapist than a trainer :v:

Yeah 50-60 is "Well you're the queen poo poo of bards now so why don't you play mommy to these children"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Jannyboy is good but Stormblood's AST quest was like 10 levels of 'who gives a poo poo.'

Absolutely awful take here. 60 to 70 AST is the guild at most.loser and most.horny and just goofing with each other and it owns.

You dont deserve AST

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

I can believe that they considered removing the damage from Assize... I can't believe they would go through with it though unless they wanted to get rid of healer DPS entirely outside of solo content.

Removing the damage and lowering the heal turns it from a completely busted button to merely extremely good., which god forbid.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Generally all they have to do is bring the thing in. If I turn around to get it again I take a bunch of extra damage and the healer has to deal with that, and generally I don’t want to point all the other garbage at the party, plus dealing with it in the moment means I’m not pulling everything.

So how about you shove it in thinking I’m being a whiny douche instead of having reasons that make poo poo worse for everyone for why I’m not turning the dungeon around to help save a single dipshit who can’t find their aggro dump.

I swear you people have been broken by some lovely pub tank that all you see is primadonna flash across your eyes if anyone says things can be annoying for a tank.

You're every pubby tank anyone has made fun of itt. "Waaah I had to hit Overpower 1 more time cause they dotted before I got to my aoe hit of my rotation."

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

lmao you're so not mad about this, how many times do you get threat and run away from the tank with it? Because that's the only scenario you die in. If you bring it in to where I am I'm not going to stop unleashing to spite you. I'm just not going out of my way to save you either, especially since it makes the run go worse and dumps extra poo poo on other people for it.

I don't cause I queue as tank or healer most of the time and when it happens to me I just press flash again and keep moving and the worst thing that happens is I 'wasted' a GCD and the dps got slapped a little.

And even if I wanted to not full pull I'd just flash what they grabbed and let them run ahead instead of posting an incredibly angry screed about it.

No one's calling you a primadonna tank for the actions it's entirely based on your incredibly smooth brained way of handling it and how you're talking about it. Almost as if 'primadonna' is more talking about an attitude than a specific set of actions.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Blast of Confetti posted:

pfft, after years of playing tank then switching to healer i know who's really keeping everything moving smoothly. and most of them hate everyone silently instead of putting on a fireworks show when things dont go their way

It's why AST at 70 is so good for dungeons. Throw down ES, Give the tank a big shield, silently seethe as they pull the entire stack out of ES and don't get the heal, give them The Dignity they never had and a bole cause they don't use C/D. you're basically tanking for them at that point.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Arist posted:

HOLY poo poo SHIELD BAR

loving take me Yoshi

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

So as AST do I get the 8% or the 4%? Cause their wording is poo poo.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Truga posted:

AST isn't a melee DPS class, no.

Or self by 8% makes me wonder.

All of this could be avoided by just saying party member because usually IIRC ally only target stuff says target ally or the effect usually.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

UHD posted:

all anyone ever fished for was balance and now every card is balance so quit your bellyaching

This is how bad ASTs played yeah. And now every card is just lovely balance with a chance to build to lovely spread balance. It's just boring and makes the cards largely pointless. you might as well just give ast a passive +5% damage aura. it'd do the same poo poo.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

It'll be nice to not hear "BWAAAAA BWAH" because I let the login in screen sit for more than 10 seconds

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

somepartsareme posted:

i'm curious for an example of any situation in an 8-man where a spread balance is less than ideal

It's the ideal yes but fishing for it it for multiple c/d's of draw isn't better over say, playing an expanded spear every now and then.

Like it is the thing you were wanting the most but holding out for it over a longer period of time hurt you more than playing slightly sub-optimal spreads after not getting it for a bit.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Seiryu's add phase doesn't especially need it, the Bole can take the edge off healing that part.

Yeah also this, rolling draw/redraw and sleeve and not getting the magical ideal but ending up with an AoE Spear and a bole for your tank was still fine. Hell I'd even call it pretty okay. More DPS, maybe you've got a crit lord in the party, less need to focus on healing for a bit. The bad ast play I was referring to (and it's in the post I quoted) is only fishing for Spread balance because "IT'S THE OPTIMUM!"

Astroniomix posted:

I think their point was more along the lines of balance not being the only useful card.

Yeah it's not that balance wasn't the best it's that the other cards were pretty okay buffs (except spire unless you ran with a SkS samurai I guess?) and you were better off just playing 'sub optimal hands' instead of just holding out for the dream pair of RR and Balance.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Gorelab posted:

My understanding was basically AOE Arrow/Spear was fine and not worth fishing for Balance from.

Arrow could be argued a little bit depending on your team... Some people's rotations/tp management could get fumbled because of it (but BLM and SAMs loved it usually)

Spear was usually a good secondary prize.

I might fish for Balance if I had a sleeve draw still on them though. But i like to play the slots so :shrug:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

My view on the card buffs is a little skewed of course because I solo healed some spots in the last 2 tiers effectively and so things like Ewer and Bole were way way way more appreciated than "Well here's 6% damage buff" ever could be.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

If the leaks are real and the only spender on the tokens is another "Party wide 3 or 6% dps buff" then these card are entirely loving pointless and a really heavy handed way to deal with some of he buffs being situationally useful, esp. since the Minor arcana seem to just do the exact same poo poo as the main cards.

It's conceptually boring and makes the card busywork seem wholly unrewarding when you're just pushing 20 buttons to get a ~5% buff on a few people at a time.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

homeless snail posted:

Yeah, even if you can make the argument that half of the cards are effectively +DPS anyway, at least they function a little differently and have different considerations in how you play them. Turning everything into balance and leading up to an automatic spread balance is an incredibly unexciting take on AST

It's just so loving boring too. Like the RNG aspect of AST was at least kind of fun cause like "Well I didn't get what I wanted but I can make that into a buff for my next cart to either make it way better or mitigate not getting what I want a bit" instead of "You're drawing cards that are going to pre-selected classes and the cap for it the same thing but on everyone but maybe worse if RNG fucks you". Like why even have the rng at that point? It doesn't lead to anything interesting, in a pre-made you're always gonna have 1 person that fits any card you draw.

It makes the card system, which was the core character of the class for 2 expacs feel weirdly vestigial. And I'd be fine with that if they just cut it and make sects and sect swaping more of a thing but their solution to that is "Just give you C/Ds to get both buffs and still not worry about swapping stances" so who loving knows.

I just don't know what they were going for with these AST changes cause it just smoothed out all the interesting bits alongside the weird foibles the class had.

What I'm saying is my heart goes out to all the MCH mains who enjoyed the class before 5.0. I know your pain.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 27, 2019

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

somepartsareme posted:

so much doom and gloom over questionable leaks of things from old builds with no knowledge of what encounter design is gonna be like

Good back down from your initial post, but you're right maybe the card system isn't just tiny bad DPS boosts.

But also they've confirmed RR and Spread are gone so my big post about what made the cards fun/interesting completely changing is still accurate.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 27, 2019

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Tengames posted:

honestly Im baffled why they didnt just convert them to single player/singleplayer with npcs instead of having a roulette for 2 single quests.

Because they didn't have not poo poo AI for npcs until squadrons and 4.X more specifically. Those were both the testing ground for the Trust system coming in 5.0

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Am I allowed to cry about how boring new ast looks now?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Failboattootoot posted:

Dark Knight, Machinist, Monk, and Whm just this last expansion?

BRD MCH and AST in 3.X.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Did the AST lose Time Dilation? I really liked the AST aspect of trying to stack up regens and buffs and time Time Dilation and/or Celestial Opposition just right to give people extra time for powerful buffs (like the collective unconscious + celestial opposition combo).

It did. Cele Opp is just a weaker ogcd Aspected Helios now.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I'm really disappointed in that. I thought it was a really unique and interesting mechanic and it was pretty satisfying once I started learning how to best take advantage of it. :(

That's AST.png. It's loosing a lot of interesting bits and getting some really boring poo poo in replacement.

Like the new Oppo is so weird beacuse like the regen/shield are just worse than normal rear end aspected helios and in theory you'd use it in a big aoe where you need fast healing with like Neutral stance but if that's happening you're gonna be popping Lightspeed anyway so aspected helios is instant already so it's kind of a pointless button outside of like just mashing it off cooldown for trash pulls.

It doesn't even have the stun anymore either. Just a real loving weird

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 1, 2019

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

somepartsareme posted:

it's good because it's an ogcd heal that you can use instead of a healing gcd. lightspeed aspected helios is still a gcd.

You're astrologian, you're already constantly weaving OGCD button presses into your gcd. Like that's when you throw out ES or play cards or dignity or quick pop Collective Unconciousness to prep for the second wave of raid wides.

AST wasn't hurting for buttons to weave so the difference between new Oppo and LS Aspeceted Helios isn't a benefit to Oppo since in a big healing crunch it's just better healing to do Aspected Helios and used the time weaving any of your other poo poo. It's a button that's entire outclassed by the old poo poo in the kid for when you need big heals so it's gonna basically just be a button you push off cooldown except probably not if you're in Neutral stance because you could overwrite other shields.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I genuinely don't think there's anything to worry about

Healers are always going to be overtuned to have more healing than they need because they really can't balance around "a healer doing their optimal" because then getting through dungeons would be a complete and utter chore. As long as people are pressing buttons they'll be able to heal most content assuming no major screwups.

Also "Tanks taking more damage so that haelers heal more" was something they said they were doing going into Stormblood and....look at how that turned out.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Kerrzhe posted:

i have no idea what clemency even is

It's ahealing spell PLDs get. a Bad PLD will start spamming it when the get below 80% HP instaed of just doing damage and letting the healer heal.

It's got a bit of a bad wrap cause pubby plds see they're given a heal spell and just thing "OH I must be meant to top myself off" meanwhile they've got like 5 stacks of regen and a bole on them while standing in earthly star while everyone else is just wailing on the boss and they're hard casting a heal onthemselves at 95% HP. Which is extra annoying cause PLDs entire DPS rotation is about dumping all their mana in a burst window.

It's 'useful' in the same way Vercure/SMN Cure is (Not really in 99% of instances) and if they want to do the "Cecil got some lovely White magic as a pld" class fantasy poo poo they should give PLD their oown versions of protect and shell.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Vanderdeath posted:

Not once was Zenos ever shown in a light that could be considered remotely favorable or "cool." The dude is a literal giant monster that's the face of Garlemald's conquest. Losing to Anime Scott Steiner twice over the course of SB's MSQ didn't feel like the story was trying to pad for time, even if I feel like Stormblood should've been about either Othard or Gyr Abania exclusively.

He's also never really been 'edgy' in the manner cythereal is trying to be dismissive with. Like the one time he got close to even pretending to be that was the "Embracing violence for it's own enjoyment" line but even that is just expanding on the idea that he geniunely doesn't give a poo poo about anything but a good fun fight to the point he'll sabotage his own army just to get a chance to fight a tougher you.

He's not Shadow the hedgehog, hell he's not even Luca Blight, he's just Jetstream Sam but with a less sexy accent and a drier sense of humor.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Every bad and edgy character in JRPGS: Ught I' ma dark knight but deep down I'm trying to do good I'm just so angry and can't connect with people and like to just kill my opponents instead of letting them get away. My powers are....hard to control and you wouldn't understand

Zenos: AHAHA YES! kill my army, you're so loving cool. Punch me in the face so I can get ready to fight you.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Emalde posted:

You can choose to define it further but Kain, Kefka, and Kuja can all be labeled as "edgy". The same designation works in this instance for Zenos.

Kuja isn't edgy he's literally a baby having an existential freak out about death and the unfairness of his shortened lifespan.

He's Vivi if he didn't have any friends.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Shadow "The Gun helps me shoot that drat 4th chaos emerald" van Hedgehog is an Edgy video game character.

There's very few FF characters that get close to that sort of characterization and all of them are in the FF7 EU. Edginess is always someone trying to write something they think is Deep and Cool and Adult but it's just juvenile. Everything in FF14 knows Zenos is an insane monsters and a huge idiot. that's the point.

Don't mix up nihilism/boredom with 'edginess' because you're basically wiping away all nuance to just try and say "It's bad because I don't like it!".

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Let this moment last forever!

HAVE YOU THE STRENGTH!??

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Emalde posted:

It sounds like you're the one that doesn't like it :v:

Nah both of those villainous archetypes can be fun but dumb people like to just bundle any villain that is even slightly hammy as 'edgy' in a weird way to get a early 00's own in. It's just lazy criticism that's been overdone for almost a decade at this point.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

The only annoying bits of MCH at 70 was Flamethrower and not having WF manual detonate. Everything else was an elegant clockwork rotation running on 15/30/60/120s timers and that's gone in ShB and I'm gonna miss it.

Level 70 MCH rotations made it feel way more developed and designed than poo poo like DRK or MNK. Or BRD.

And I hate playing it but It's not busted or anything it's just not for me.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Like I said, I've tried Black Mage before (it was actually my first ever job, although I abandoned it sometime around mid-Heavensward in favor of the SMN/SCH duo), and I feel like it's a bit too much. The mechanics of it get really involved, and it's a strain to keep things up because when I got disrupted, it was a lot more about just resetting everything and building up rather than the more improvisational and reactive style that Scholar has when things get tough. I think Black Mage is overall the job that struggles most in 'poo poo's gone haywire' situations, since so much of it is reliant on setup and long-ish cast times.

The DPS job I've tried that I really had high hopes for was Ninja, because it did look like it had that 'situational toolbox' style with the combo system, the basic skills doing extra positional damage, and the mudra skills. But the mudra skills sort of killed it for me, because that's not really the basket of situational skills it looks like at first, it's a basket of 'Huton, Raiton and sometimes Doton' with some extra obfuscation.

It does look like Dancer has a lot of the feel that I was hoping Ninja has, and a similar energy to what I liked about Scholar, so that's good. And Samurai seems like it could play in that improvisational style now that I'm looking at it. Astrologian I might check out, since it does seem to have gotten a little crazy in a good way in its efforts to keep up, but I'm not sure.

I do wish that Machinist were more up my alley mechancially, because it's absolutely my thing aesthetically.

Oh hey if you want a basket of situationally useful skills that you have to play for might I entice you with this very fun but input heavy heale- Aaaaand it's gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

You mean you guys *don't* get hit on at least once every few months? 😬

I don't afk in Limsa anymore because I got like 2-3 creepy whispers like every month.