Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Jimbot posted:

I would never recommend you skip story. It can be a bit boring in a couple parts in ARR, yeah, but it'll also help other people so when you team up you know how to play your class instead of being a level 50 not knowing how to do anything. Just skip the cutscenes if you aren't interested.

The FedEx quests, which are more than half the level 50 post-release content, do nothing to make anyone play their class better. You'd miss out on a lot of running, a lot of NPC nodding and talking about very little with a lot of words, lots of bad cutscenes and the few good ones of the last patch before HW, and a bunch of dungeons/trials you can also run independently. The only downside is that the books are kinda expensive to just skip from 2.0 to 3.0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Bobfly posted:

Is there a trick to leveling your chocobo when you're level 70?
I assume it's because for the purpose of getting XP from kills they use your level, so being level 70 and killing near-70 mobs is the fastest way to get companion XP.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Saigyouji posted:

(Also none of this addresses the whole "SCHs in pre-71 content will spend the majority of their time pressing 1 button" issue.)

Maybe that's not actually going to be an issue so it doesn't need to be addressed :shrug:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Vermain posted:

I would once more caution reading much into leaked actions, because they're all from an old version with different potencies, potencies themselves are being revamped, and a number of changes were done with tanks that will likely change how healers interact with them post-50.

You mean the leaks are not exactly what we'll be playing in a month? I'm shocked, I tell you!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Saigyouji posted:

If we assume the leaked skill lists are true, I'm far more willing to accept that this is another 4.0 SCH situation than "they rebalanced every fight in the game".

I'm saying it's that first assumption that might not be accurate, no one said anything about them rebalancing all the encounters.

Sure they have hosed up before and maybe they will gently caress up again and healers will be bad to play for a patch or a half, but it's super pointless to launch into elaborate theorycrafting rants on how bad exactly and why, with the info that's actually known.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Out of curiosity, do Gatherers get more interesting at higher levels or is it always find a rock/tree and take what you want from it? Along with Fisher, I've only ever been those classes for minutes at a time to clear Ixali Quests and the early levels are deeply boring so I'm wondering if they get better or if they're just a necessary evil to be able to craft/make money. (Not counting anyone who finds it relaxing or what not.)

Also tangentially related but I remember having to do daily quests in Mor Dhona that involved catching fish and mining/botanizing. But I have absolutely no memory of what it could have been for. It might've been Relic related? Or maybe it was the Ixali? Or a different beast tribe? I feel like dodging Morbols in a maze may have been involved. Maybe it wasn't Mor Dhona?? But that's all my memory is pulling up. Anyone have any clue what I might've been doing?

EDIT: It was Ixali! Right? Higher level Ixali quests sent you out of the North Shroud, didn't they?

Yes Ixali quests sent you to Mor Dhona and Coerthas Central, when it's not in North Shroud.

Gatherers get more "interesting" with collectibles, but overall, not really. While fisher gets spearfishing which basically adds the "normal" gatherer playstyle to them in SB :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Thundarr posted:

lol if you think Rowena would give up a penny more than she absolutely needed to.

Alternately: she'll one shot the boss for you but in return you have to stand around in Mor Dhona for years selling poo poo for her.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
You can pull Bardam door to door, but then the healer isn't doing any damage and I'm not sure that's actually faster.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I was in a Crystal Tower raid the other day with a bard whose mission was apparently to sprint/peloton ahead of everyone else in order to pull the next trash/boss before even a single other person was there (they left every ongoing fight early to be first at the stairs). They would then dump all their GCDs/cooldowns and run wide circles until the tanks picked up the mobs.

So after a while we just stopped picking up the mobs until the bard died. No one raised them and the raid response was "lol".

I'm all for pulling fast, but if you want to be an rear end about it, you can get hosed.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

TulliusCicero posted:

I don't see how anyone actually dies at this point in Sycrus Tower. It is the most chill "turn your brain off" raid I have ever seen. The bosses do like mildly irritating damage at best lol

People unfamiliar with the raid still die. Besides the obvious (freezing to death or snakes eating frogs while healers are busy DPSing, eating curtain call and not levitating for ancient quaga) the levitation markers can also kill you if you have one and run it away from people.

You're right in the sense that the bosses don't have mechanics that would wipe even the most afk raid, though.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Yapping Eevee posted:

The caveat of these free gear drops is that they only cover armour/accessories, not the weapon. At least, I know that's true in 51-59. They might have changed it in 61-69 to make the weapon the very last freebie? No clue.

As far as I know they have not, and the exclusion of weapons from that system is super dumb.

Also, level cap dungeons should really have it too so I could get my Skalla chestpieces in this lifetime :argh:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I vastly prefer WoW combat, and in general WoW has QoL systems YoshiP might think of in 5 years (or their terrible 1.0 code base makes them impossible to do in the first place), on the other hand WoW in the meantime abandoned a lot of systems I would have considered superior, for implementations that are more grindy or random for the sake of it. So for me it comes down to which is the lesser (MMO-) evil, and gameplay in FF14 is still good enough, while the game looks better and lets me play all the jobs on one character at least.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I'd spend a little cash on a video game I'd be on the fence about for that absolute unit of a bird.

But by the time it hits the EU, it'll be 2020 and they'll sell the codes on some absolute poo poo hole like scam4gamrs.com

Yeah they had a decent EU promotion like once (the first time it was this on Amazon France IIRC) but the others were pretty bad and they're always super late.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I've been using the solver forever and actually finding the well paying combinations is never the issue, it's actually having them on the scratch card in the first place.

In the end it's still luck/RNG.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Just do North Thanalan FATE grinding instead :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

:thunk:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Even though I doubt anything will happen, I reported the tank just because. Also for wasting 15 minutes of my time (at least I got DNC and GNB gear out of it), otherwise I think it was really funny. Like, the tank is doing single pulls like he's level 65 in sub-shire gear (he's level 70 with augmented scaevan stuff so he's not new) and waste everyone's time with a pull countdown, every one of them went AFK at some point and the tank had no problem with that and even waited around when the BLM with the level-appropriate gear and the returner sprout did it. But I'm the one getting booted for being "AFK" or whatever reason he used, for letting the tank get low (he didn't even die :psyduck:) right after the mentor DPS in the group literally goes BRB. What?

Ciaphas posted:

this feels like why all of the healer dps is disappearing come shb: we're like the only part of the internet who enjoys that aspect
While I enjoy green DPS I would also enjoy (mostly) honest healing if the healing mechanics are actually interesting and the healing is necessary. Both conditions are not met in this game and I doubt the devs have the willingness and ability to change this now.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Multiple tiers is not a surprise, "Ah you finished AF1? Here's a box that unceremoniously gives you all of AF2" is a surprise, especially with my only MMO experience being FF11

Oh it turns out I was wrong :shobon: I just looked up the highest ilvl bow on the AH because it wasn't too expensive and much better than anything I had, it didn't even occur to me that there's obviously better stuff you can't buy. It's a i115 Cedar Longbow that looks like you can just craft it.

Is it worth going for higher ilvl stuff or am I gonna level past it quick enough that I shouldn't bother? I did notice that at this point one exp roulette is no longer enough to get an instant level
They added gear upgrades to the quests you already have to do, and it happens the first set they give you - via your level 50 job quest - is the artifact gear recolor that used to be sold for one type of tomes (the first with a weekly cap IIRC). In terms of story you're getting your job's artifacts done. And for the sake of your sanity the game says "but that's not enough anymore, take this stuff instead". Having to follow the old gear treadmill from item level 50 to at least 115 (the base level for HW at 50) would be super awful on top of the 100 FedEx quests you already have to do.

The crafted level 115 whites you're looking at were added with HW as a baseline for the expansion (bad normal quality versions of it can be bought from NPC vendors), but old ARR endgame gear goes higher. Since the 100 quests between ARR and HW take a while, and you won't get meaningful upgrades to it until about level 55/56, getting Augmented Ironworks gear can be useful. Especially since you can wear it at 50 (HW dungeons drop equal gear to regular Ironworks at level 51 and to Augmented Ironworks at 53). But you're also going to be fine just sticking to the gear the MSQ and job quests hand out.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Also daily SB hunts, they take a bit of time (mostly travel time) but they add another few daily quests worth of XP IIRC.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
:hfive: kicked from dungeon by idiots buddy

Really what gets me is that these morons get one or two others to support their insane kick requests in the first place.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
They really rolled 70DR into 50/60/70DR :psyduck:

So now you can get interesting dungeons where you can actually use your abilities. Or you might get level 50 trash fires like WP hard. I wonder if the rewards are still poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Saint Freak posted:

poo poo, I was buying my 60 gear for Dancer/Gunlords and I accidentally bought some deepdanktaunt diptwine instead of deepestbluest hatislikeashark'sfin coatdip.
At least they gave the upgrade items better names in SB :v: