Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Does this mean you buy them with irl money? Is that what happens to all events after they're over?

Eventually all event stuff is purchased with real money so you can get it if you missed the event, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mrfishstick posted:

Is there any indication when this new event is due to start?

sometime between now and Bringingdarkedgeknightshadow release.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I just finished defeating titan, how far am I in ARR's story?

And this Costa del Sol feast questline was miserable. I love the actual Costa Del Sol location but that quest was bad

You're a bit past the halfway point of the 2.0 game.

You're maybe a third? or a quarter of the way through the entirety of A Realm Reborn content, including post-game patch content.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think comparing it to full blown SS uniforms is a bit overblown, tbh. Not to mention, as someone pointed out in the discord, those outfits were popular from the late 1800s all the way to today in some cases, so making it specifically compared to a specific Nazi war uniform is a bit disengenuous.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not really going to say that they're inaccurate or wrong or that the imagery isn't loaded. What happened to Korea was loving awful and is still downplayed to this day. I think you can reasonably say that a Japanese development team didn't have the same view of the items for the reasons you said and that's probably the disconnect there, but the fact that Japan so massively downplays or actively denies what happened makes that kind of ignorance/misunderstanding a lot less sympathetic.

I don't think the China only store stuff is developed by Squeenix directly though.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
dear yoshi p

please give the entire dev team four months off

with love

a fan

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I don’t remember rape being a huge part of ffxiv at any point in time. Lots of dumb dick joke puns, but not rape.

Maybe that was during 1.0?

Yotstuyu has a fair bit of it implied.

Also the women in Sastasha.

It's not a huge thing, but it does pop up from time to time.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shoehead posted:

I'm still way way behind in story quests but I just.. met the original party from pre ARR???

They just look like the signature characters.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Schubalts posted:

Also bits of dialog changing depending on whether you've met characters in side/job quests before they show up in the MSQ.

Entire populations have their dialogue change. Go around, once you're done 4.0, and talk to anyone who is Ala Mhigan.

Every single one has new dialogue.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neato posted:

Ay its me Neato a different kind of Neato who is nice and finds the the game story and lore fun, just a heads up that im a different guy who is friendly and cool.

the OG neato if you will

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Got my new glam for DRK, or probably whatever tank I wanna use, for the next little bit.

And now a study of Dark Knight in four parts.

I'm still learning to be a beginner with gpose.

ETA: I guess i should timg all of these

Tashilicious fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 17, 2019

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Been redoing MSQ on Balmung and after so long being The Hero I forgot how much you're just some random jerk for a while. Just the person who grabbed the right quest from the adventurers guild.

I don't think it is appreciated enough especially with everyone going "use a skip potion its garbage". Like sure there is a lot of "go pick up rotten garbage" to start with, but thats what adventurers do. Odd jobs until something big comes up and you prove yourself. So its a pretty good gradutation from random adventurer jerk to a competant adventurer jerk the adventurers guild gives bigger things to, to a trusted one that gets called on for important missions, to a core Scion and soldier in the fight against the Primals to a seasoned member of the irregular army serving the whole of the city states to the single biggest hero in Eorzea. It does feel like a natural progression based on your deeds (and natural ability of Echo).

Its not even entirely "youre a wizard harry" chosen one since having the echo wouldnt by itself make you the hero, you still have to back it up. Plenty of scions have similar blessings but they can't pull off the things you can.

I like it a lot more than say WoW where there doesnt feel like theres a natural progression from nobody to hero. Your status is whatever is needed for the plot, and not based on your growth as a person.

I also don't mind the slow pace of the mechanics, because I feel like its worth it to let people who don't play MMOs in on it, and slide them into the genre. I know plenty of people who do not play MMOs as a genre who got caught up in FFXIV because of how it starts and plays. Who get anxious at group content but just threw themselves at the early dungeons and learned to relax and get a handle on the concept because it begins so slow and easy. Experienced players might get bored some but the game spending a lot of time to make people who have never touched an MMO feel welcome and able to grok it is an achievment that gets dismissed offhand a lot.

Individual pieces of it sure it can be argued are flawed (titan, 2.1 2.2,) but overall I think it deserves a lot more praise than people seem willing to give.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I dont think the god ever comes up at all for anything, but i am not rerolling again just to check halone

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

lmao you're so not mad about this, how many times do you get threat and run away from the tank with it? Because that's the only scenario you die in. If you bring it in to where I am I'm not going to stop unleashing to spite you. I'm just not going out of my way to save you either, especially since it makes the run go worse and dumps extra poo poo on other people for it.

I'm the one who got called out on being a douche for *checks notes* not saving DPS who don't bother to dump aggro, stop hitting all buttons except forward and keeping up, or bringing the thing to the pile for unleash and siphon spam to pick them up anyway. Literally do any of those things and you're fine. One of the people in my regular dungeon group is a bard, and some loving how he manages to dot everything and not pull threat unless I'm super far behind his weapon damage, which is my fault and not his.

You're 1000000% right that it's just not that interesting of a design idea, but it's the one we have now. If asking you to do the bare minimum to meet me at "basic poo poo so the run goes smoothly" then sure, call me a douche. It's not like there's a point in getting mad over it, especially if that's your position.

It's loving irritating to try to be a good tank and catching poo poo for complaining about any of the super stupid poo poo dps do that's just as bad as any primadonna tank. Maybe go be a tank and see some of the super dumb poo poo pubbie dps do.

nice meltdown

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am leveling a MRD/WAR on Balmung right now and I've been doing a lot of Berserk+Overpower on packs

and I never ever get comms for it

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speaking as a person who heals and tanks;

everyone is garbage at this game sometimes. I've personally had runs in dungeons that went off perfectly, as if the entire party was in perfect tune, and every oGCD and GCD I hit meshes into a grander whole right in between times where I am the single worst player walking, letting tanks die because I didn't look at the party list in a minute or two or just moving right into the death zone. I've personally witnessed the person I think has some of the deepest and widest knowledge of the game, both mechanically and lore wise, just run off a platform to their deaths. The true experience is being in a voice chat with seven other assholes who are supposedly competent at the game and listening to the utter breakdown chaos as we realize we're all just goddamn idiots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkmipUgMmjw&t=233s

The context for this is we'd been bashing our faces into Shiva Ex for about fifteen pulls by this point, and this was the best we had done all drat night.
Then Selena pipes up on comms "Hey what's this marker mean".
Then everyone screamed.
I still laugh about it when I see it happen, it's perfect.

The point is; you have been, at some point, that rear end in a top hat that made your dungeon run poo poo. Everyone has. Being mad about it instead of just shrugging and laughing is just going to give you ulcers. If they're being antagonistic assholes, just votekick. If it's an rear end in a top hat and his buddy so votekick fails, just leave.

I've vented about bad playing people, or someone being a jerk, before, but that was at the time. I've only ever had one toxic person in a party, maybe I'm lucky, but carrying bile for so long over such a little part of the player base isn't healthy.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Point in fact; did Halatali normal for the first time in a long rear end time earlier.

Second boss; I sat in the water while it was purple like a loving idiot. We cleared without a real wipe (I overpulled once but the healer somehow??? managed to break aggro and wander off before rezing the dead three party members. I still gave the ninja the comm because he goaded me while I was AoE zerking) and it went pretty smooth. Don't be the guy still raging about the dumb maurauder who stood in the DoT water for an entire add phase.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
People keep getting surprised by final sting

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
AV just has a loving horrible first room. People have been used to just "yolo lets go" in dungeons and the first room of AV is going to murder you every time you try.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Honestly I like getting Quarn, I enjoy it. The head-switches are cool

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't have ARR or HW pictures, on another computer, but

Partway through SB

Near end of SB

Currently DRK Glam

Current WHM glam

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FactsAreUseless posted:

Sorry apparently it was Final Steps of Faith. The Nidhogg one.

tell us the story of your pain

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Melomane Mallet posted:

Dia was a white magic spell in FF11 that did damage over time.

Dia was the undead damage spell. And the first AoE you got in FF1. It was only useful in some situations but being able to burn a group of undead at low levels is really really handy.

ETA: I misread 11 as 1. Don't get high before going to work and reading the forums kids.

Tashilicious fucked around with this message at 05:38 on May 23, 2019

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thin air at 58 is pretty good. I've been doing some old content for funzies and also clearing quests, and just unlocking the raids, and holy gently caress do I miss thin air.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also getting sync to under cure2 levels

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fister Roboto posted:

Happened to me in Bardam's a few weeks ago. I popped it on trash as soon as we got it, tank yelled at me and said we needed it for the final boss. Yeah, arguably, it does make the final boss a little easier, but we were on the first trash pull after the first boss, so I told him we'd definitely have it back before the end. Of course we did, and I popped it again on trash just out of principle. Surprisingly, instead of me getting vote kicked, the tank just abandoned duty.

I blame wow refugees.

same

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CuddlyZombie posted:

PBC photo session was fun and it's a fun FC, have fun with us in Shadowbringers!

tag yourself I'm the pink DarkKnight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Annath posted:

Can these raid things be done solo/is it easy enough to find a group?

I'm working my way through Heavensward content, and have been pretty unsure about how the non-story stuff gets started/when to do what.

E: what is "Hildebrand and post-moogle stuff"?

there is raid finder for crystal tower, but youll have to wrangle some goons for coils.

Hildy and post moogle are just like silly sidequest strings. They are fun and give some breathing room during the brutal 2.x patch content. I forget where they begin but a oogle for "post moogle unlock" and "hildibrand unlock" should get you started.