Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

hobbesmaster posted:

Sure but on the drop down you can select "max" to show the best parse recorded for each class or just go up to 95th or 99th percentiles to see what the maximum potential of each class is with current gear sets and knowledge.

The 99th percentile of the spec that all the actually-good people play is going to be higher than the 99th percentile of the spec that all the random goobers who are just playing for fun play. Looking at the 99th percentile in this situation is essentially asking what the very best of the min-maxers can do vs. the very best of the mediocre fun-havers can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Hi, I have a couple stupid questions:

1.) If I'm interested in playing a Samurai, which job should I play pre-50 to get the closest approximation of the experience?
2.) I'm sure this is subjective, but is there enough (enjoyable) playtime in the 50+ content to justify shelling out for Stormblood if I don't really plan on sticking around for much more than the story quests and maybe some extremely casual queue/LFR/duty finder/whatever that poo poo is called?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

P-Mack posted:

I just switched to rdm when I started HW so I'd be at 50 again.

That's my plan, only with samurai.

I ended up deciding to play black mage through ARR, because I figure it pays to have a ranged option on tap and it feels pretty similar to my arcane mage in WoW. The low level dungeon queue is not as bad as I feared.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Black Mage really takes off when you get Fire and Blizzard 3, huh?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

I just did floor 50 of Palace of the Dead, the end of which I suspect is my first real glimpse of what real bosses are like in this game, and man alive movement screws Black Mage up real bad.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Edda is probably the hardest boss of the first 100 PotD bosses, but she's still pretty easy.

Oh that's the other thing-- I wasn't expecting Edda to show up there, went and Googled it, and god drat that girl's life took a loving turn as soon as I stopped paying attention.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Feonir posted:

The real secret of BLM is just eat the AoE with manaward, if you didn't die you didn't have to move. More fire 4.

The real secret of BLM appears to be casting white magic, because I just unlocked RDM and god drat it's fun.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Oof. Maaaybe I'll wait till prime time to do this one.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

orcane posted:

Does your server have goons on it?

Probably not. I'm on Siren, because it seemed to be the most populous of the preferred servers and I wanted that double XP so I could easily skip most non-MSQ stuff (which worked out great!).

I haven't really had any problem with the queues thus far, but it is 11 AM..

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

I really hope you're a max height roegadyn.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

I finally sat done and did the last two 2.0 duties last night, unstoppable cutscenes and all, and they were a.) cool, and b.) long. I can see why not a lot of people hope into the queue for those.

I also took some time to try out SAM, then realized RDM is way more fun than it or anything else I've played in this game. I guess I need to start collecting cool hats and hoarding red dye.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Kitfox88 posted:

Sounds like a tenuous reason to post pics to me!

i'm way prouder of this outfit than i should be

Is this blending in or clashing garrishly? :abrathink:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

As much as I'm enjoying red mage, one of the reasons I'm really itching to get to Heavensward (and there are a few) is so I can unlock AST and dole out cards to people I think deserve them while scorning others.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

"B-but what if the tank dies when i'm in the middle of casting Stone 2? The party will say mean things to me! :qq:"

I mean, if you've healed in any other MMO this is a legitimate concern-- both the tank dying, and the party giving you hells of poo poo about it, even if the tank in question is an absolute twit. It's difficult to shake the mindset that failing to babysit the tank or a gaggle of idiot DPS for even a few GCDs will result in idiots dying.

Clearly that's not the case in this game, but it's very much the exception rather than the rule.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

I finished ARR.

A lot of that is a loving slog, but I think the ending makes up for a lot of it.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Reiterpallasch posted:

haha holy poo poo that maleific change, this owns

I was expecting 2 seconds, 1.5 seems extremely speedy.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

KoB posted:

It would be cool if the final dungeons to the ARR story were fun.

I just did them for the first time, like two days ago, and they were very enjoyable.

Also, on the topic of enjoyable, Machinist looked extremely imposing but after taking it into POTD six or seven times it turns out it's considerably less intimidating than it looks.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Brainamp posted:

Potd is a great way to level, but not super great for actually learning a class. MCH as a class is honestly at its worst in that 50-60 bit after getting gauss barrel but before getting cooldown.

Well, it was good enough that I could get more comfortable with the idea of having to regularly hit ~9-10 different buttons, which was the most intimidating part. I've got some wrist issues and my main in WoW is an arcane mage, a spec notorious for effectively having a three button rotation.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

WrightOfWay posted:

SAM is the most fun melee dps and that's all that really matters.

It's me, the dude who hates melee DPS in every other MMO but enjoys SAM.

Although I keep going back to RDM because Vercure means I'm never at any risk of dying to anything that doesn't one-shot me, regardless of how much of an idiot I play like. Also, the level 54 SAM quest on the boat traumatized me a little bit.

And because Verthunder is an intensely satisfying spell for being rotational.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

I went and looked up the gulf between the highest and lowest DPS for Omega on FFLogs, and it's like a ~10% difference. That is actually way less than I expected, for as much of a fuss as gets made over it.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Kitfox88 posted:

I almost never AoE on my SAM in dungeons because a true samurai focuses only on the single enemy in front of them

gets hit with every aoe, dies

That's actually an optical illusion; the bladework of a true samurai is so fast that the eye can't actually follow it, until such point that they blow all their TP AOEing and go "gently caress it where's my midare button".

I haven't played a lot of SAM (or anything), but holy poo poo the AOE rotation is costly.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 22, 2018

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Thundarr posted:

You laugh, but this is literally what Huge Banana's animation is. You rarely see it because your face is stuffed into the butt of some boss, but it's basically you shooting out a wave of super fast attacks like Alucard button mashing with Crissaegrim or something.

And yes the AoE rotation is demanding of your TP but you will goddamn do it mister. Shame that pubbie summoner who still plays the game like he's level 20.

The SAM AOE rotation is a far sight more engaging than any other AOE rotation I've come across so far, so yeah, you better believe I'm going to slam that poo poo out and be thankful for the opportunity.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Thundarr posted:

His child will have a 50/50 chance of being discarded for having inherited bad stats.

I don't feel so good, Mr. of Light..

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

I'm.. some percentage of the way through Heavensward, and man, y'all weren't kidding about it being leagues better than ARR.

Also, I just got to Idyllshire and turned in a bunch of tomestones for shire gear, and my HP jumped from like ~9k to 21k. God bless inflation.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Speaking of SB story content (sort of), I just did the level 60 samurai quest.

I knew it was coming, but :(.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 23, 2018

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Rainuwastaken posted:

It actually hit me last night that there was no way Not-Zenos could have known whether or not Asahi was onboard the ship as it returned to Garlemald, and that the attack was probably called in long in advance. I almost regret watching him die in Fluminis, if only because it robs us of the chance to see him realize he's been thrown away by his "master" like a used rag.

HOW. The most basic 1-2-3 combo on MCH is entirely proc-based. I want to like the class but it drive me absolutely insane how often I end up having to smash 1 six times in a row. SE just give me a ranged class with a proper combo system, please...

They did, it's called RDM. :v:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Have you tried not being a lalafell?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

EponymousMrYar posted:

Alternatively have you tried being too lalafell?

Someone's gotta feed those morbols/giant catfish/host of other giant eorzean predators.

I think you mean two lalafell, which should account for one mouthful for one of those monsters.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

God drat, the second rank of Kenkai Mastery makes me wonder how I lived without it.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Thundarr posted:

The absolute worst part of syncing down for lower level duties is losing Kenki Mastery II. Granted if you don't have that you don't have Shinten either, so your kenki spending options are limited.

Speaking of, if you just hit 62, remember to Always Be Shintening.

I assume I want to Kaiten every Iaijutsu I use? An additional 50% potency on any of my Iaijutsu weaponskills for 20 kenkai seems to be a more efficient use of it than spending 25 kenkai for a 300 potency OGCD.

I guess it's sort of moot because I'm loving swimming in kenkai anyway.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Alright, rad, that's pretty much what I had figured on the broad strokes-- Hagakure wouldn't have much reason for existing if it wasn't a better use of sen than a Midare.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

So I've just started Stormblood.

This motherfucker has a magitek golf bag full of katanas. Tell me he does some heinous poo poo later so I can take him seriously, because I feel like I should be giving him a swirly.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

That's cool, but why did they bring that [consults height comparison chart] midlander in plate with them?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

For leveling up retainers, is it better to do hunting missions or quick ventures?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

EponymousMrYar posted:

Quick ventures while you're online, then an 18 hour hunting mission when you log off for the day are the quickest way to level retainers.

I don't have quick venture-- I have hunting, exploration (which is 18 hours), and quick exploration.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

World War Mammories posted:

Quick exploration is what he means. It takes an hour and is basically a pull of the slot machine for almost any item in the game, quality weighted based on how good your retainer's gear is. (I think it only checks item level for combat classes and the gathering stat for DoL but I'm not sure.)

I must be getting some bad pulls, because I've run four of the things in a row for a fraction of the Hunting venture XP, at twice the cost in venture coins.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

My RDM is 61, my SAM 67, and it's very hard to convince myself to wait until the SAM is 70 (and I can fly everywhere) to go back and level up the RDM.

Verflare haunts me. I want to cast that spell so drat much. But it takes so god drat long and leveling without the Path to 60, main scenario quests, or POTD spam being good, and it's like 68 or 70.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

EponymousMrYar posted:

Yeah, you'll get bad pulls but when you get good pulls they're really, really good and give exponentially more XP than Hunting Ventures. Once you get some levels and decent gear on your retainers you'll get a better average on the slot machine.

In ARR my retainer managed to bring back a White Raven plate from the Coils while around level 30 and they leveled twice off of that alone.

About what level should I switch to quick exploration? Because my dudes are 20, in appropriate level 20 gear, and I'm up to eight straight quick explorations with sub-4k XP rewards (compared to 13.6k from hunting).

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Me, before Hagakure: "Man, I've got so much kenki."
Me, after Hagakure: [T2 thumbs up while descending into vat of molten kenki]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Rainuwastaken posted:

I hit 62 on SAM the other day. Are you telling me it gets even better?

It's 60 kenki on a 40 second CD if you eat all three sen for it, so, yes.

Shintens for days.