Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I hope they update the Necron Warrior sculpts, I hate the power-squat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Stephenls posted:

Just use Namarti Thralls.

And when you do, sell me the fish/coral/whatever basing bits

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Mugaaz posted:

Reasonable != good business strategy. You really think people gonna flock to place that charges you to play? That never works is and usually followed by a going out of business sale. There are far better ways to do this that accomplish the same thing, like say....running a tournament or event. The best way to get people to buy from you in retail is getting them to play at your store, not discouraging them to do so. There are always going to be some cheapskates who order online so they can save an extra $3, but even those guys contribute to building a local community for whatever game you are trying to sell.

:confused: That's a super weird thing to say, but I guess it makes sense if the store is somewhere where space isn't at a premium. Dark Sphere in London, for example, charges for tables and is extremely popular. They also run tournaments (MtG mostly), and do a lot of online business. The mixed model absolutely works for them, and people are quite happy to pay a small amount to use their tables + terrain.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

"If you don't have no giddy-up, then giddy-out my way"

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

I bought this LotD guy off eBay recently and cleaned him up, however his right foot is not even with the left:

Is there a better way than pliers that I can lower the foot? I don't want to mess up the metal.

I wouldn't bother, just put a stone or more basing material under that foot

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

Truescaling is some kind of disease

This just makes me want Primaris terminators.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

goose willis posted:

:(

Are we ever getting multi-part cultists and/or renegade guardsmen?

tbh I'm not sure GW will ever release a multipart/pose anything

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Bring back Zoats

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

GW wanted to update the Space Marine sculpts to be bigger/not power-squatting but were too scared to just go "here's how marines are now" for fear of a grognard riot. So they made some lovely new fluff about a OP mechanicus dude creating a recipe for Super Big Marines Who Are Even Better And Cooler (Please Buy Our New Models)

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Dropper bottles are so loving useful tho, just saying

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I don't think Tau should have hair at all!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

This is the best bit:

The Regimental Standard posted:

Allegedly named, in a stunning coincidence, after Captain Henry Face-eater (Deceased), original discoverer of these vile beasts

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Madmarker posted:

First model I've painted since the Bush administration. Can't say its perfect by any stretch but I do like the color scheme.

Looks great! I'd suggest giving the gold a sepia or brown wash (not nuln oil), then picking out the raised areas again with gold. Often I'll give gold areas a brown basecoat to give it a richer colour

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

Heresy-era they spent all that downtime training or sharpening weapons or polishing armor. 40k-era they spend all of that time praying to the Emperor.

According to the only true source of canon, Iain Watson's SPACE MARINE, the Imperial Fists do scrimshaw. Often on the bones of dead enemies, or dead battle brothers.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Joining a galaxy spanning psychic hive mind of infinite possibility is kinda ascending, even if the process is, uhm, unpleasant. I mean, it’s not the individualistic ego-apotheosis which our modern ultra narcissism says it should be; where we are the one individual god and everyone else has to worships us, but it is ascension none the less!

E: I’m ready, take me star father

Hivefleet Evangelion looking good

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

GW gets a lot of poo poo but this is the right thing to do.

Wonder if they're still paying their employees tho

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Female Space Marines exist, their names are Jayne, and Gabs

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Ashcans posted:

I think if you just wanted to use them as part of a GSC army it would be fine/interesting, but if you are thinking of doing any conversions or anything it will be a mess because they're single-pose solid figures that are a huge pain to work with. Also probably one of the more expensive ways to add to your force?

Maximini Desert Dwellers - possibly the coolest Tallarn look, but not sure how the miniatures break down re: heads etc

Victoria Lamb "Desert Scorpions". Downside is that the heads are integrated into the torso, so not as good for GS cult conversions.

You might be able to make something out of the Anvil Industry Regiment range, but there's nothing all that Tallarn there.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

ijyt posted:

Also how can GW exert any pressure on a personal youtube channel regardless of what products the person uses, dumb.

It won't be about products, if they were employed by GW there's a good chance there's non-competition clauses in their contract which may affect things, even for a set period of time after they leave.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

BaronVanAwesome posted:

I've done it

I've finally acquired the House Escher cigar head

Now to figure out where to use it...

Put it on a Primaris body

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

JBP posted:

I got a GW email claiming a "BIG" 40K preview is happening on Saturday. I wonder what colour the dice will be.

My money's on Necrons

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

imo it's absolutely fine to pirate the hell out of 40K's rulebooks and in fact it's both cool and good.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

PierreTheMime posted:

Everything else about the Necron release is stellar but this model is just a bunch of weird choices slammed together and is too busy on one side.

Guarantee that's a Destroyer

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I would buy a paint set that was just a range of skin tone triads. Base, shade, highlight.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I complained on facebook that there was no Alpha Legion merch until a friend pointed out that it's ALL Alpha Legion merch

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

xtothez posted:

Tyranids are just 40k Borg. They can adapt to any obvious plot counter immediately, in order to prolong the suspense as long as possible. However Nids are genetically engineered to lose to a desperately heroic hail mary play at the end of the episode, so our heroes can fight another day.

I think generally with the Nids, they're quick to adapt but it still takes time and resources. Virus bombs would probably work two or three times with diminishing returns as the hive fleet started to breed resistant strains. I think there's also mention of Nids surviving intense planetary bombardment by burrowing deep underground only to burst out years later.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

The good news is Orktober is right around the corner.

Oh sweet, more buggies

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Spudd posted:

Considering how loving amazing every single painter is on this website I think I'll just not post my thousand son's.

Post them, no one starts off incredible and no-one in this thread is going to give you poo poo about your paint jobs. What you will get is decent feedback and good advice.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/06/17/faction-focus-chaos-space-marines-2gw-homepage-post-4fw-homepage-post-4/

I should've expected them to do faction focus articles for more than just the armies in the new box.

Seeing the old Berzerkers in this is just embarassing. How about "faction focus: make new loving models"

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Same, I have some painting related questions that might be easier to ask on Discord

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

He's a chicken, I tell you! A giant chicken!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

moths posted:

Do Necrons us some kind of AR to percieve each other as their old selves?

I can't remember if I read that or just thought it would be cool.

Not unless they've gone mad like Zandrehk

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

bagrada posted:

I don't remember L4D having a versus mode

One team played the survivors, the other spawned as various Special Infected. Sides switched after every round. Whichever team got the most points (so got the furthest through the level with the most life) won.

The main problem was that the infected team needed to be insanely coordinated to even have a chance of slowing down a good survivor team. Stagger your spawns and the survivors could just roll on through you. Focus fire could also melt a Tank, leading to the best strategy being to hide and throw rocks until you get a Boomer spawn.

I both loved and hated it, but it was an incredible game to play with goons.

RIP Goons4Dead

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

ijyt posted:

Yeah it was definitely less about winning and more about creating a fun experience for whoever is the survivor group that round.

It practice it was about playing "I just died in your arms tonight" over HLDJ as the last survivor was mauled to death by a hunter.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Having mixed entry points like this is such a good idea

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etOrYtQ3EGc

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

I never knew where that sample came from, thank you for this.

I fell down a wiki hole and found out that guy played the Pied Piper in Shrek 3... and his father wrote the original Shrek book.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

peer posted:

the only REAL terminators are poxwalker sized

https://twitter.com/the40kmodeller/status/1160607269593202688?s=20

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

JBP posted:

Pretty sure my enormous brain can quickly work out how to create this abomination.

I like this one better, but it's made from a Primaris Captain body:

quote:

I used the body of the Dark Imperium gravis captain with a terminator back. The cloak that comes with the gravis captain covers up his lower back and butt plate, so those were just an empty hole and too big for me to sculpt well enough with gs so the half cloak from the Deathwing kit worked a treat to cover it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Lizard Combatant posted:

Since this thread always has the goods, has anyone come across any good EVA helmets ala Alien or something similar? I've found some nice stl files but would prefer to order parts.

Maybe these?
https://www.zinge.co.uk/collections/infantry/products/astronaunt-helmets-heads-x5