Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Corrode posted:

Guys you gotta stop with the plane pictures. This is how I ended up with 3000pts of AT.

buy the planes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Small marines are dead as poo poo. Long live king Primaris

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Space marines being ugly as gently caress and covered in scars is super on brand

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I want to like that but goddamn the hover hair looks ridiculous

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

JBP posted:

If my one 30k friend comes back from living interstate I'll probably get a heap of chinaforge Night Lords

Scientifically proven to be the best legion. :hfive:

Also Space Wolves can be cool when they’re Vikings and not furries. Unfortunately GW wants them to be furries very badly

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

moths posted:

Rulebook, rulebook FAQ, knight codex, codex FAQ, FW index?, fw FAQ, updated FW knight profiles, then CA16? CA17? guard codex, guard FAQ, and then maybe whichever index has the fortification (unless those are in a CA now.)

That's... intimidating.

god this owns

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

Is it me or are 40k nerds WAY more sensitive than the average trans discord group?

In general, 40k nerds are extremely sensitive and prone to baby rage

See: the replies to your comment

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Those models are extremely good. I have no intention of playing Necro but I may pick them up just to paint

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

JackMann posted:

Working on my Iron Hands grav captain. I'm pretty happy with how his cape is coming out.

The cape looks really nice, dude. Good job

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Ilor posted:

It might be better now, but there was a time when FW's casting quality control was utter garbage. I've gotten re-casts that were orders of magnitude better than FW stuff.

FWs quality is pretty hit or miss. Usually newer casts are pretty good; but the older the mold gets the worse the cast gets.

I have some perfect FW casts, and some hilariously lovely ones

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

How’d y’all do in the LVO 40k GT?

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Corrode posted:

We had a mix of 4-2 and 3-3 results, which is decent. Also thanks to the delay on day 1 I now qualify for US citizenship, so that's nice.

Ah cool. I took a peak into the 40k hall one day and it felt tense. Nice work

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Neglect your friends and family to paint imo

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Marin Karin posted:

this is really loving embarrassing guys

Hams.txt

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

goose willis posted:

And you guys thought I was annoying

You’re perfect

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

x-post from the painting thread

Hixson posted:

I broke my months long painting slump with these:

They're going to be used as scatter terrain on Zone Mortalis board so i wanted them to be suitably weathered

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Lizard Combatant posted:

These are fantastic. What's the base green/yellow?

Thanks man.

It’s a black-grey-white preshade with a Vallejo sand yellow basecoat with Vallejo ochre yellow over the top.

Yellow over black tends to go a little green, so I hit the shadows with sepia wash through the airbrush.

Tbh I was going for a more construction yellow color; but ended up with this.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

JBP posted:

I agree entirely with 0+ and 1+ saves. Maybe they'll address in this year's big 9th edition release right after they sell all these psychic powerup books.

Is there actual talk of a 9th edition sometime in the near future?

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

OhDearGodNo posted:

Gorkaknight in progress, normally I’d have waited until it was done butI’m so happy with how it turned out.

this is really cool

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Hihohe posted:

Can we squat space marines yet.?

Keep the chaos ones though

:yeah:

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

It’s fun to talk about warhammer fluff sometimes :)

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Outflanking scatter laser War Walkers were criminally underrated in 6th/7th

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Never ignore a poster. Getting mad is the only reason to read the forum

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

i painted a space marine and a robot

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

9th.............................Good???????????????

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I’m not an expert by any means on resin casting or injection molding. We spent a while on it in a manufacturing class in college. And I’ve done a bit of resin casting on my own for the odd bit.

My understanding is for metallic or resin casting, the process boils down to manually pouring liquid metal or resin into a mold; then some additional process to remove air bubbles.

For plastic models, you use a completely different technology: injection molding. It uses a a high pressure feeder to fill a 2 piece metallic mold with liquid plastic.

It’s way more expensive. One of your primary wear parts is your precision machined mold and the machines themselves can get mega expensive. In resin casting your big wear part is the relatively cheap silicon mold.

But the upside is the manufacturing process is infinity more repeatable. You dial in your machine and let her rip until it’s time to change out the mold. It doesn’t rely on Joe from Forgeworld spraying the release agent on just right.

GW/FW is remarkably bad at resin casting and it consistently shows in the quality their casts.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

All the artwork in that WHC post is extremely cool. drat

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I'm considering doing a re-paint of all my old eldar. Threw together a Mymeara tester:

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Vlex posted:

That's lovely, what's your procedure for gemstones?

Thanks. I pretty much copied this for the gems:

https://taleofpainters.blogspot.com/2016/08/tutorial-how-to-paint-gems.html

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Cool thanks. Luckily I won’t have to repaint any of the aspects. So I only have to paint 20x guardians, 3 wave serpents, a falcon, 3 warwalkers, 2 wraithlords, 10 wraithguard, a wraithknight, a handful of warlocks and a farseer. :shepface:

Hixson fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jun 13, 2020

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I’m liking GWs new doctrine of giving the xenos cool kits and marines dopey poo poo for idiots

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Woah that monolith is really cool

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I have an odd request: Does anybody here have any of the arco-flagellant models? If so could you take a photo of a couple of them from above?

I’m GMing a Black Crusade campaign and I really want to murder my idiot players with flagellants. My asset packs are pretty lacking

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Working on a little 40k Night Lords CSM force:

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Stephenls posted:

That’s just great. And I really love the way you’ve used a combination of the new CSM bodies with the Heresy-era pauldrons, helmets, and backpacks to create a distinctly Night Lords force.

Lasting Damage posted:

Outstanding work

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Classic look, love the blending. These are proper scary. What is that delightful mecha-tick?

Maneck posted:

There just amazing. You should be proud.

Cessna posted:

Those Night Lords are sick.

Thanks all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

HeavingGirth posted:

Seriously, I lurk a lot and very slowly work on my Word Bearers/Death Guard, but you've inspired me to try some 30k Night Lords. I have Sevatar sitting on my desk, waiting for the last of my paints to arrive. Not gonna be anywhere near your quality, but thanks for the huge inspiration in the quality you paint!

hey man i missed this; I don't check this thread very often. That's really cool to hear. Post them in the 30k thread when you're done!