Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Welp, just fought Nu Marines with Necrons.

What an awful experience. My opponent is a cool guy and we're good, but the basic bolter dude being able to consistently move and double tap at full range at -2 is...something. Probably winnable if I hadn't lost 6 units turn 1 to shooting but Jesus gently caress!

How are they doing that?

Bolter discipline doesn't allow them to do that so is it a chapter or a doctrines thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
OK need some advice from you guys as I was supposed to have played a friendly 750 point game with a friend to encourage him that kill team isn't the only game worth playing, and he conceded turn 2 because i killed half his points cost and I had only lost 3 guardsmen.

I guess I'm concerned that

a) I may have taken a crazy minmax power list when he only has what he has; and

b) What do you reckon I can do to play him again and it be a better experience for him?

In terms of lists mine was: Cadian AM. Creed, demolisher tank commander, leman russ tank commander, four infantry squads (two sniper rifles because I had the points), a hellhound, mortar heavy weapon squad, autocannon heavy weapon squad.

His list was: Bro'kan Sept. Ethereal, Cadre Fireblade, three squads of 5 fire warriors, 3 stealth suits (1 fusion blaster, all 4++), 3 crisis suits (6 fusion blasters, all 4++), 5 pathfinders, a broadside battlesuit. He then had like 5 gun drones with the crisis suits, and a Recon drone and 3 Markerlight drones with the pathfinders.

That is basically all he owns, barring 5 extra fire warriors and 10 kroot, which basically I told him to take instead of the drones, and I also suggested cyclonic ion blasters and flamers instead of so many fusion guns on the crisis suits.

Now I know my list is better, but I didn't think it was like turn 1 win better. I was seriously concerned about all these fusion blasters getting close to my tanks, plus the broadside being able to sit at the back on his tall scenery and do damage from there.

The playing area was 4x4 which is what the BRB recommended, he got to pick the deployment zone (it was a diagonal line with 24" no man's land in the middle) and finished deploying first so got to pick first turn, this is what it looked like:

You can make out my army pretty well on the left, basically heavy weapons teams at the back, flanked by the russes, a line of guardsmen and a hellhound in the middle.

He deployed all his fire warriors and HQs in a building at the back, the pathfinders (he borrowed my veterans) on the right in the middle, and just behind the crates you can see on the right are where his stealth suits are hiding. The crisis suits were in reserve.

Basically what happens next is a mixture of some bad decisions but some awful rolling.

Basically what happens next is a mixture of some bad decisions but some awful rolling. He moves the stealth suits onto an objective (he had to hold it for two consecutive turns and he would have scored 3 VP) with some drones from the pathfinders to act as ablative wounds.

He then lands his crisis suits 9" away from my right most infantry squad. Everyone else sits still.

In the shooting phase he puts 4 Markerlights onto the demolisher and shoots all 6 fusion blasters into the demolisher but it's from like 15" away and he only does 4 wounds. The broadside fluffs its rolls, and the stealth suits aren't close enough to use the fusion blaster they have. The FWs can only shoot a couple of guys at my infantry squad due to range. The gun drones kill three guys from my infantry squad due to insane saves (I passed like 5/7 5+ saves) and the FWs kill one, so that's three dead guardsmen and 4 wounds on a Demolisher.

In my turn I advance my infantry squads, move the hellhound so it's within 16" of the pathfinders and stealth suits. Move the demolisher and leman russ forward 5". The heavy weapons squads and one infantry squad stay in the building.

What I then proceed to do is roll more lucky than I think I've ever seen myself roll in a 40k game. The demolisher kills all 5 drones with the crisis suits and wounds one of the crisis suits. The 8 guardsmen next to them FRFSRF 24 lasgun shots and do 3 wounds, killing one and seriously injuring the other. The Hellhound manages to kill two stealthsuits, which are finished off by the leman russ and the mortars. The 8 Guardsmen charge at the crisis suits, which miss all four overwatch shots, and I poo poo you not they had their 9 attacks, did four wounds, and then my friend failed all four of his 3+ saves, meaning they just got bayonetted to death

Now I genuinely think he made a couple of big mistakes in terms of going first and deploying aggressively instead of trying to lure me forward, but I also think he got unlucky as poo poo with some of these rolls.

There are some minor things I'd have done differently but broadly speaking I think it's a combination of bad luck, bad deployment, and choosing to go first that resulted in such a hard loss.

Does that seem about right to you guys? Or do you think my list is so much better/cheese than his this was always going to happen?

As for what I can do next time, any ideas? Should we play smaller games of 500 points? Encourage him to play a bigger game (he could take some of my sisters/grey Knights as allies or proxies)? Should I offer to play again but use his list against mine to show it didn't need to go that way? Should I take a less-good list? If so what do you reckon because his list can't change much?

I just really want to play 40k with my friend but I'm worried this has put him off.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 10, 2019

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Booley posted:

Crisis suits are hot garbage, and taking 3 tanks at 750 is going to be tought to beat - particularly when battle cannons and demolisher cannons are great at killing stealth/crisis suits

What would you change in my list to make it more even? Drop some of the tanks obviously, I have loads of guard stuff so I can field basically anything if you suggest it would make it a fair game. Even garbage guard units.

I guess the problem is whatever I think of taking I think i would have done a load of damage anyway. Tempests Scions I'd have dropped in next to the crisis suits and stealth suits. Sentinels maybe not as good as tanks but they are still vehicles with autocannons.

I realised I left off the explanation of what he actually did, but part of me is struggling to think what to take instead. Maybe wyrdvanes psykers, they are poo poo.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 10, 2019

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Big Willy Style posted:

It's ok if your friend just wants to play kill team.

Of course it is, I would just like to play 40K with him too but so far the first game was 1,500 points using two or my armies and it took too long as I only started playing again and he's never played before. So I suggested a smaller game and this happened. So it's more I feel he's not actually played a decent game of it, as they are both bad examples.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Booley posted:

You're probably going to need to just spam infantry/veteran squads against that list and other low offense units. Tanks are going to be tough as your friend doesn't have any real antitank.

What is good anti tank for tau these days? Other than riptide battlesuits (or is it just them)?

whiteshark12 posted:

Swapping armies may work, a kill team roster is unlikely to translate well to 40k, so the classic 'deploy everything I own' tactic probably won't convince him on the merits of 40k. It doesn't help you're both playing gunline armies either though not much you can do about that.

To be honest I was planning to advance towards him with the demolisher and hellhound being screened by the infantry and his aggressive deployment caught me off guard.

Gunline vs gunline is obviously a bit boring but I think I'd have been OK with basically exchange shits for a few turns before we scramble for objectives. This was just over after my first turn though.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 10, 2019

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
OK sounds like my list was just way too unfair for him then. Might have to apologise and say I need to write a shitter list.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Kore_Fero posted:

I think you need to get more tall terrain and place it all more towards the middle of the table. You were basically playing a firing squad over a flat field. House rule that you cannot draw line of sight through the windows. If there is no ways to break line of sight then a shooting heavy army will just blow the other army up. You should make it dense enough that a shooting unit has to pick a part of the table or a lane to cover rather than just have free sight to the entire enemy line. You should be able to hide units during deployment if you want to converse them from first turn shooting.

from the best 40k resource :) https://www.goonhammer.com/placing-terrain-in-40k-how-to-set-up-a-table/

I had read the goonhammer article and I though the terrain was OK really. I mean essentially it's 4x4 so it's a square, and in each of the squares there was one piece of scenery that offered a raised vantage point and cover, or LoS blocking terrain (the LoS blocking terrain was opposite each other), plus a LoS blocking piece of terrain in the middle of the table. That all being said my friend did get to pick the deployment zone, and then also picked to have first turn, and when he deployed he did hide his Stealth Suits and stuff.

I'm still getting used to the new cover rules (that for infantry they actually need to be in the cover not just obscured by it) but i'm also conscious that it's possible to overload a table with too much scenery.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yeah its a bit of a rule of aesthetics that similar bases for an army just plain look better together but at the same time it's your army and if youre taking the time to paint them, do as you please.

Yeah have to say I'd want them all on the same ground but painted differently with maybe some different base decorations instead. That being said they are your models and do what you want. It's not like your army will have the same base as every board you play on anyway.

Base rims are a funny one because my dudes are all based on urban rubble (slate painted grey) and I ended up painting all the rims a neutral brown colour as I'm sure when I used to play all the time it helped them look more fitting.

I'm sure I remember this was popular at the time and the local store was doing something similar.

Now though it seems its black rims all the way

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

goose willis posted:

https://dreamforge-games.com/products/wgf-w2003-wwii-russian-infantry-28mm

Very, very strongly suggest getting this box while you all can. In total you get thirty guys and an officer for just $3.75 and the kit is pretty nicely detailed and has a lot of poses and gun options. Makes for some great guardsmen converting, and it just gives you tons and tons and tons of bits to use for general human models that aren't in power armor.

The price is ridiculously low and it's probably the last time you'll be able to get it since nobody else carries it and your only source will be overpriced eBay sellers. It's such a stupidly good price that you have no reason to not buy at least one or two boxes. When I first got some for a Soviet Imperial Guard army I'm converting, they were just $8.00 a box, and even then I thought it was some ridiculous steal. Now you can get it for half of that price.

Come on, get yourself some Soviets while you still can.

Man I nearly impulse bought 3 of these and I was going to use the head and the equipment to bash together with some cadian infantry squad kits and get some valhallans.

Then I saw $37 postage and then I thought "90 guardsmen would actually cost a fortune too, and you already have a huge guard army you fool".

Thank god for that.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

goose willis posted:

Where do you live that it's so high for you? It wasn't nearly that bad for me, like ten dollars.

Her Majesty's Most Glorious Brexitland

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
https://imgur.com/a/EjqNU5w?fbclid=IwAR32AQ4bmx6cSOVxO8wGycA0MTncKRyZ4OakMafvEi3z8xIyLsfYJptkCT4

Inquisition stuff leaked. Imperium armies can take an inquisitor now without needing a detachment and without messing with special rules, they give access to some stratgems, and generally they are buffed across the board. Eisenhorn is only 80 points, but since he can summon a beefed up daemonhost I assume you need to pay 25 points for reinforcements.

One of the cool things here is Daemonhosts now have the Character keyword, meaning they can hide behind your screening units.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
I was a bit sad that Eisenhorn gets a lame warlord trait of a single Re-roll once per game. However I'm really glad I carried on painting him well now as I'll have an excuse to use him.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Strobe posted:

Per battle round

Oh poo poo, that's pretty awesome then I take it back. For sure Eisenhorn is going to be in my lists.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Is there actually a rule that prevents him from summoning the daemonhost while sat in a transport right now? I mean it doesn't specify he has to be standing in the open but not sure there's a more general rule that stops abilities being used in transports.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

OhDearGodNo posted:

90 boyz finally based so I consider them done.

Now on to finishing 90 grots.

God speed you beautiful bastard.

That's even more infantry than my Guard, grey Knights, and sisters combined, so I feel your pain.

Max Wilco posted:

I've been looking forward to plastic Sisters all year, but now I'm on fence about getting this box set.

I just want the models, so I'm not up to spending $200 (?) for the codex, dice, and game-cards. There's also no vehicles, and I really wanted to get the Rhino or Exorcist. On the other hand, the post says that the miniatures included are exclusive to the boxset, so I feel compelled to get it. However, they don't really say what's different about the ones in the boxset (I think it was said that the models were all monopose), so maybe it's better to wait.

That's how they get ya.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Cooked Auto posted:

Not this time around by the looks of it. None of the characters have crossed the Rubicon and they haven't announced a Primaris character to go along with this book.

In other news, first sisters rules preview up.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/11/12/battle-sisters-on-the-battlefield-part-1gw-homepage-post-1/

Acts of faith look insanely good.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

moths posted:

Imposing his will on events (then running out of miracles at an inopportune time) is extremely the Emperor's jam.

Knowing sod's law it will be more like the miracles all happen in the last turn or two because for the rest of the game the Emperor goes "hmmm, nah I'll save my strength for something REALLY important" and when he finally does poo poo it's way too late or not really necessary.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Lol is that an anti-grav pulpit?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Not sure why they felt the need for a new model tbh:

It's perfect already.

Dialogus of course being the Latin word for "latex blow job sex doll"

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
After all my worrying about getting my kill team models looking nice on time and having a half decent list I'm going to miss it because I have to fly to Ireland for four weeks with work.

Super annoyed.

And no I can't just play in Ireland because I'm staying in Limerick which seemingly consists of a road and a castle.

When I am back over December and January though I'm definitely going to look for a way to scratch the 40K itch a bit since my friend seems unlikely to play again any time soon.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

DandyLion posted:

There once was a goon who had work
so to Ireland flew he with a smirk
Though his kill team sat bored
a chance gamestore restored
his joy dredged back up from the murk

That's cute.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
What are Chaos Daemons like right now in terms of competitiveness? Are they a pile of shite or are they just not that good?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
When I played last about 6 years ago meltaguns were boss. This was when if you had an armour value of say 13 in the tank you needed to get a penetrating hit to actually stand a chance of destroying the thing, and you could do it in one shot.

Having a unit of imperial guard veterans jump out of a chimera (or even shoot out of the back lol) with three meltaguns, hitting on 3s, 2D6+8 to calculate whether you beat the armour value was a great way to insta kill tanks. Statistically they killed a tank every time you did this.

These days even if I pulled off the same move with the new transport rules, the two shots that hit would wound on 4s or 3s, and then the damage I do with the inevitable one shot that actually damages is between 1 and 6 damage, which lives the tank alive.

Honestly feel meltaguns need to be S9 so they are wounding on 3s and do 2D6 damage (or maybe D6+something) at half range if they are going to be worth taking.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Surely, all factions can unite in hatred of space marines being op and getting all the content.

It’s the holidays, we should cherish each other.

I miss the days when everyone told me guard were overpowered and cheese while I smile remembering the days of 6 points per model guardsmen that had no orders and I had to guess how far my basilisk shot, and all my ordnance had a 4/6 chance of not actually hitting where I wanted it to.

Now dudes on reddit try to tell me guard are too good because everyone uses them as literal meat shields for their army, and how can space marines compete with that.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
On the YouTube nazis that play 40K front, i only recently got back into the hobby so I've not watched a ton of YouTube warhammer stuff but I've seen a couple of channels.

I didn't see the link used but can anyone give me a list of shall we say "popular" or "Well known" 40K/warhammer youtubers that you guys know are scum so I don't accidentally watch a load of their videos only to later find out they did something?

Acebuckeye13 posted:

So against a likely SM opponent, would this be a solid Guard list? And what suggestions would people have as to modifications?

IG, 2001 points (trying to figure out a good place to shave off that one):

code:
Brigade Detachment, Cadians:

HQ: 
Company Commander (Warlord, Old Grudges) w/ Kurov's Aquilla
Stormtrooper Commander w/ Command Rod
Primaris Psyker

Troops:
Guard Squad w/ Lascannon x3
Guard Squad w/ Autocannon
Stormtrooper Squad w/ 2 Plasma Guns & Plasma Pistol x2

Elites:
Platoon Commander x2
Techpriest

Fast Attack:
Armored Sentinel w/ Plasma Cannon x3

Heavy Support:
Heavy Weapons Squad w/ 3 Mortars
Wyvern
Basilisk

Supreme Command Detachment, Cadians, Emperor's Fist Tank Company:

HQ:
Tank Commander (Leman Russ Battle Tank) w/ Relic BC
Tank Commander (LRBT) x2

LoW:
Shadowsword w/ HB/LC Sponsons

Dedicated Transport:
Trojan Support Vehicle

I think my general comment here is I personally would reshuffle where you're putting stuff.

So for example, all those heavy weapons I wouldn't put inside the actual guardsman squads, as these days I don't think the infantry squads can stay static enough to a) benefit from the Re-roll 1s and b) not get a minus to hit. On top of that you need to more proactively use them to screen your units from assault etc putting them on the front line and in danger. I used to run a blob of 50 guardsmen with a commissar and 5 autocannons that basically sat still all game so I get it's a change. Assuming you got the models though I personally would be taking another two infantry squads for six total. Four squads will not be enough to screen the entire army, and that's basically what you need to do.

With stormtroopers unless you just think they are cool I'd just take 5 with two plasma guns and use them as a "imma drop these dudes somewhere mid game and finish off a space marine unit before watching them die horribly" sort of deal. If you needed the points to make other changes though these would be the guys I look to drop.

The characters I'd reshuffle so I'd drop the Primaris psyker and the tempestor, and just take three company commanders (if you take two extra infantry squads that's 1 order per squad still).

Then for your elites I'd take two astropaths who will be more effective than one Primaris psyker, and they would replace the platoon commanders.

Relics wise I assume you're paying 1cp for two relics? If so I think I'd prefer laurels of command on my company commander than the aquila, command points are good but I think an additional order on 4+ is better, especially if combined with the Superior Tactical Training trait on cadian warlords.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

LibCrusher posted:

Are financial quarters different in Britain? Here in freedomville it’s been 2020 for a month, as far as businesses and balance sheets are concerned

In the UK you can have whatever financial year you want.

A lot of companies have a financial year from April - March because that's the tax year and it makes things simple. However plenty of other companies run January to December.

The only time you expect to see a significant deviation is basically if there's some sort of big event that your finances are organised around. Like if membership renewals for a membership organisation are in June, their financial year is probably June to May.

Why GW does this I have no loving clue. It makes things pretty complex for them because HMRC won't give a gently caress what their reporting year is and will calculate tax based on April to March, so they need a team also calculating that, and their biggest sales period is mid way through their financial year, which means if you're short of targets everyone will panic, and if you're above target everyone will relax.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
So my Google news feed is showing a story from the Warhammer Community section of the GW site titled "Sisters of Battle: Situation Report" and starts: "When you said you wanted plastic Adeptus Soriatas, you" but when I click on it there's a 404 error on the GW site saying the article has been "expunged" or no longer exists.

Setting aside the very inquisitorial feeling of that, it looks like GW are going to say something about it, maybe even make more.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/11/16/sisters-of-battle-situation-report/

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Mr Teatime posted:

Im not especially mad that the website crashed before I could pay, the non monopose sculpts are coming next year. It just annoys the heck out of me seeing these limited sales get snapped up for scalping on ebay. Seriously though what dumb dumb is paying 300 pounds just to get a special codex cover? 🤔

Loads of people on reddit were complaining about gamesworkshop but really the people to blame are the idiots who buy from scalpers.

If it were me I'd have people register an interest and then it's like a lottery rather than encourage millions of people to visit my website at the exact same time, but even with those systems people can sign up multiple times to game the system.

Ultimately scalpers exist because people are willing to pay more for these things than they were sold for, and the only real solution is either a) create a crazy vetting process to weed out known scalpers which still won't work or b) charge more money, which everyone will hate.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Couldn't they have just taken preorders six months ago and printed a number to meet the demand, plus 10-20% to go to physical stores? If everyone who wanted one gets one from GW directly that would do a lot to diminish the secondary market.

Not quite.

What you have to remember is that, as far as I know anyway, GW makes all their models in house at like a single dedicated factory. This means that before the year has even began they will have complex demand planning forecasting models, existing stock information, and other such stuff that they use to tell them how many models they need to make and when just to make sure existing stuff doesn't go out of stock.

After they've done that, they will be left with whatever runtime is in the factory for new stuff, and by new stuff I don't necessarily mean "new models" because things like the Christmas box sets will be separate to the demand planning for the units in the box.

So really they probably have a single window where they are like "here is when we can make the sisters advance boxset, and this is when we can make all their proper range next year". If there's more demand than they can make in that window, they would have to likely cancel making something else to make more.

Now maybe their demand planning was off and there are some units that they are sat on a big pile of them and they just so happen to be queued for production at the same time, but let's face it it seems unlikely.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Corrode posted:

I bet there's a pile of ten thousand unsold Vypers which has been around since late 3rd edition.

If there is its probably because they hosed up their demand planning and I bet a viper hadn't been made in decades.

Whereas things they sell the most of are probably constantly taking up time in the factory.

What I'd love to know is if they factor in rules changes in their demand planning, and if so how do they factor it in. Like say you take the Leman Russ demolisher getting upgraded to D6 shots at all times. Would they expect to see more demolisher being sold? Maybe not, but what about when they release a new codex for say the Guard? Those cadian and catachan models have been around forever, but you'd expect to see them sell more.

I imagine it's one of two ways. Either they have an incredibly complex process for handling all this and it's very impressive, or it's a pile of poo poo and guesses on spreadsheets and it's a wonder they ever have anything in stock.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
For future reference anyone who tells me they really love the 40K setting and wants to play a game based in it but has no interest in buying models or painting them and isn't really even that bothered on what form the game takes, I just tell them to play a 40K RPG instead.

Get hold of a PDF and own some dice and you're ready to go.

If their reply is "but I wanted to move my soldier men around" I just tell them to figure it out themselves.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Regarding the rules you can now download the core rules for free and in theory like someone says every box you buy has a data sheet in it.

This is great in theory because it means all you need to buy is the models.

However, the problem with this is actually more the fact that everything has been errata'd and tweaked so heavily that I genuinely don't see why you'd buy the physical rule book or codex anymore, and the datasheets in the boxes are outdated and therefore useless.

If GW made the core rules free (and updated) and kept all the in box datasheets up to date then I can see the argument that in theory you just need to buy the models. Right now though it's not really practically an option.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

jng2058 posted:

Yeah, I remember the old "if you can't actually point the gun at me, you can't shoot me" poo poo. Of course, one could argue that 8th's "if I poke the tip of my hull around the corner, everything I carry can fire at you" might be taking it a bit far, but I suppose too permissive is better than too restrictive in this case.

Yeah I'll be honest it feels really weird that I can have a leman russ Tokyo drift slide it's way sideways down the table firing all of its guns at someone behind the "rear" of the tank as it does so.

I mean the whole armour value angles and stuff was really frustrating, but I think making guns on vehicles actually require line of site individually makes sense to me.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Corrode posted:

Any time someone demands work to be done for them for free, they're devaluing it. If you think the rules should be well-written, well-tested, and also available to you for no cost, then by definition you are saying that the labour that went into creating it has no value to you.

This isn't really true sorry.

If you did the maths and looked at the data and saw most new players spent £80 and the books they need and then bought 10 boxes of models in their first year, you could make the books free (or ridiculously cheap) and then increase the price of the models. I don't think that would be smart, but it's a similar model done with games consoles: the console itself is borderline loss making, it's sold as cheap as possible to draw you in.

As it so happens I do sort of agree with the point that the market leader in this field doesn't have to give away its rulebooks for free. I think the problem is like you touched upon the endless FAQs and Errata that make the physical copies pretty much worthless rules wise.

I think it would be good if, when you buy a physical copy, you get some sort of code that gives you an online "living" version with just the rules (no fluff) for free, along with permission to print it for personal use. Alternatively, stop loving things up so badly that you make balancing changes a month after you release something.

Does GW have to do that though? No, people are still lining up to give them their money. It would be good if they did it though.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Nov 20, 2019

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Corrode posted:

You're talking about a different thing here. A company choosing to offer loss leaders is a marketing tactic. Customers demanding to be given something for free is devaluing labour. And there is no way in the world that if the rules were suddenly free but the models cost more, customers wouldn't piss and moan about that fact, because they don't actually care about barriers to entry or the cost of the books (which, like I said, is pretty loving minimal for what they are, in any context - books generally, this hobby, hobbies in general). They want the thing but they don't value what it costs to make it. That's it. This exact same problem repeats itself across tabletop and video games - customers have higher expectations than ever, but also don't want to pay what it costs for people to make things that meet those expectations.

I mean sure all consumers always say they want to spend less on stuff, but people here discussing whether or not we should be paying for hardcopy rulebooks that are outdated and irrelevant not even a month after they have come out, and having to cross reference like 6 books to have the most competitive army isn't really consumers just wanting to spend less.

I think I just see the discussion here as what people's opinions are on what GW should be doing for GW's sake, wns your response is it would "de-value" the rulebook, and my explanation is that's not true, as many companies sell some items at cost or even give them away for free to draw in more people, and it's not seen as "less valuable" as a result.

And of course people would piss and moan if you increase the prices of models, but as long as people are still buying them there's not much to worry about.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

That model is gorgeous

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Well that’s certainly a TiWP% discrepancy.

https://www.40kstats.com/1st-round-loss

Shout out to renegade knights doing their thang.

Problem I always find with these things is that it's never proportional.

If you assumed everyone's armies were balanced (lol) and everyone was equally good players, the faction with the most use would see higher numbers of wins.

While the SM meta is obviously very strong, even when I used to play about 5 years ago and Imperial Guard mechanised lists were seen as "top tier" I'm fairly sure SM still made up an absolutely massive portion of tournament entries.

Really what you want to see is do Space Marines win a proportion of tournaments equal to the proportion of people who play space marines. If the answer is "yes" then it's quite difficult to argue they are unbalanced due to the stats alone.

The counter argument will be the space marine entries are so high because they are powerful, but in which case then I'd suggest if we look at historical data I'd be surprised if the percentage of people playing using space marines in tournaments has changed massively over the last 5 years. If it has massively increased then the data supports it all, if 50% the entries in 2014 were space marines and 50% the entries in 2019 are space marines, but in 2014 space marines won 25% of tournaments and now they win 45% of tournaments it actually suggests they've got to "where they should be".

This analysis becomes harder for other armies because I'm positive other armies that aren't the poster boys have their number of entrants fluctuate a lot more.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Maneck posted:

In addition to xtothez's point, it would have been very interesting to see the breakdown of subfactions within "Space Marines". A pile of them are likely Iron Hands, and those were most definitely not a massive portion of tournament entries prior to this year.

Yeah, agreed.

I think that being able to crunch stats to figure out who is too powerful is very interesting, and if space marines jumped from 5% to 45% in the space of 12 months I'd definitely say something is amiss. These days I guess prevalence of soup lists makes it even harder to track accurately.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

ineptmule posted:

I’m still extremely mad at the use of the word ‘soup’ to describe an army composed of disjointed elements

Many of the best soups are made from just a couple of ingredients :colbert:

If you consider each detachment an ingredient the same applies :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Since weapon positioning doesn't matter anymore and you can just Tokyo drift your tank down the map firing all the guns out of the engine area, I don't think it really matters what's modelled on the tank as long as it's clear what the tank is. I have two immolators and neither are getting a heavy bolter stuck on the front.