Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

dexefiend posted:

I beg to differ!

How many points did you paint before ever playing a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Cooked Auto posted:

I think the only unpainted thing I had back when I bothered playing was an IG Commander. And even that was a stand in because I hadn't found or built a cool enough one to use.

Did you paint a full 2000 points before ever playing a game.

Edit: lmao good job editing your post dude, I think you just made my point.

tallkidwithglasses fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 20, 2019

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

mango sentinel posted:

Just because you think flamers sound really cool in a book doesn't actually mean you are actually gonna enjoy playing an army where like have the dudes have an 8 inch threat range.

Just because you like how a character looks in a fighting game doesn't mean you're gonna like how they play.

I'm not saying you should let his Salamanders count as Drukhari, but theres a whole bullshit rainbow of Space Marines and I don't think people should be locked in just because they painted their army a canon color. Your attitude is just encouraging people to play unpainted grey plastic so you can't fault them for deciding to change armies.

Do you really think people wait until they have full sized, fully painted armies before they begin playing games.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

dexefiend posted:

why should army color affect how i must play a game?

I am approaching 6235 points of painted Howling Griffons, and I haven't played a game of 40k since 2003.

I have never played a game as a Space Marine player.

Why does it matter to you if you don’t actually play?

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

dexefiend posted:

This seems to be a fundamental viewpoint to both our groups.

One group thinks you should only be able to play Ultramarines if you have blue space marine models.

The other group believes that you should be able to play your space marine army how you like.

I’m actually 100% fine with counts as whatever as long as you explain it ahead of time, it’s just that “this person has absolutely no inkling of how this army might possibly play and managed to paint an entire loving army before rolling a die” is the smoothest brained take I’ve heard in a while.

Just cop to the fact you want to use the good rules in order to win, it’s fine, everyone does it.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Safety Factor posted:

This will all make sense once y'all realize that tkwg plays Salamanders AND Dark Angels. :ssh:

They’re all counts as 1k sons, Vulkan is Magnus.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

DiHK posted:

ASSAULT MARINE TROOPS

the TL:DR is that some marine flavors were very good at melee combat. From 3rd to 5th editions and I could count on a core of choppy jumpy boys to be my work horses. When I came back at the tail end of 7th Space Wolves were now the CC marines and I got wiped by White Scars just driving up terrain like it wasn't there.

Then 8th happened and I keep waiting for some kind of troop level melee focused Primaris boys but it's all shoot shoot shoot. I doubt it will ever happen so I've branched out.

So yeah I'm but hurt about my glorious beautiful space vampire boys being reduced to having a single leadership level beatstick, and then Endman comes up in here like Ben loving Shapiro telling me its my loving fault GW changes their poo poo all the time? gently caress that.

The Black Rage consumes another battle brother.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

DiHK posted:

They keep getting closer and closer to making it where I can work with it but even veterans are still lacking. Death Company with a Chaplin and a Sanguinary Preist and Shock Assault might just make it but that's a point heavy platform.

Hey man just run them as dark eldar, those guys seem pretty good.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

DiHK posted:

What's funny about this is that I'm considering running a minimalist battalion of kabal warriors with my wraithhost for the cp

Maybe consider just making and painting the models you enjoy making and painting, and then maybe playing them in a game.

Or whatever, paint 5000 points of howling griffons and never roll a die, I’m not your dad.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

DiHK posted:

Um, excuse you? I'm not the howling griffon guy. Do you need to see my cred? Under the Blood Angels section of the OP is my army but here's a more recent pic.

Here's some of my eldar.

I be rolling dice dawg, you need to have your glasses checked foo.

Cool dark eldar army brah

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

DiHK posted:

Why can't I play them as red codex marines and expirement with the bolter doctrine? You're implying that because I picked BA so many years ago I should be stuck using jump boys just as the Salamander guy is stuck with his flamers.

@Bools it's a fine army I just like to play more aggressively than marines are built to play right now.

I thought we all agreed that the salamander army was a figment of that white noise posters imagination. No one actually plays salamanders.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

DiHK posted:

I thought Endman called them fake news after declaring that they could only use template flamers now and were therefore heretical.

Man imagine playing Salamanders and using templates.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

EvilBeard posted:

I don't even get the whole "red ultras" thing. If you're mono codex and there's no confusion, what's the big deal? I understand if you're mixing detachments and it can cause confusion, but all the space marine models are now the same (except characters) so why does color matter? If you had a red army and painted a red Guilliman, why couldn't they be all Ultramarines? Who's it hurting?

Picking the good rules because you want to win a game is fine, just don’t pretend you’re doing it for fluff reasons or whatever. Just be open that you’re doing counts-as because you want a 3+ instead of a 4+.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

JBP posted:

I don't mind getting confused with a friend while trying poo poo out, but if you're hitting the point of proxy characters and poo poo that isn't basically 1:1 with stat changes or stuff I'll probably get bored and feel like you've wasted my time on a Saturday.

But what if they really really really want to win though.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

JBP posted:

I'll concede and go home a couple of hours earlier to do something else I guess.

Wow I painted these originally generic primaris and then a variety of chapters and then eventually deathwatch for very specific fluff reasons, how dare you disrespect my army.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

DandyLion posted:

needs 'Perturbation Intensifying' text on it

Yeah safety factor do it, that’d be epic.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

nite_moogle posted:

It totally is.

I played ITC games this weekend and cannot for the life of me understand how this remains the dominant form of 40K in the US.

I would say the majority of 40k players in the US have not even heard of ITC, let alone played their missions.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

JBP posted:

The 30k thread are channers that hate space wolves, take your garbage out of the cool and good nuevo-GW scene.

This post is so good.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Kitchner posted:

Can I just take a moment to congratulate the author of this article on the smash captain names. I loved all of them.

My favorite was the Salamanders one.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Kitchner posted:

Mine was actually Brother Captain Optimus Maximus. I think it's a name I can use for anything cheese based in games

Cool! I agree, it’s a pretty epic name.

I liked the salamanders one because it references a blaxploitation movie and the salamanders are black. Clever.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

goose willis posted:

Yes and it should be me

This, please

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

RagnarokAngel posted:

What if SRM made a new thread?

Goose Willis should make the thread.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Anime_Otaku posted:

I don’t see it either, to me it seems like they’re most likely going to do something that will be like 8.5 edition by giving the rest of the sub factions books the way the Space Marine chapters have. Well as an Ork player I really hope that’s what they’ll do.

One problem with 8th is that it doesn’t have enough rulebooks, so this would be a great change imo.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

drat I hate it when my favorite #brands get political.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

This is Turkey.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Khisanth Magus posted:

So if I don't want to play as space marines and not play at a significant handicap I should wait for further codexes to come out before playing?

I wouldn’t be surprised if space marines are still one of the very best factions by the time the edition ends and GW moves on to 9th.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Acebuckeye13 posted:

look dude from what I can tell this entire saga is extremely stupid on all fronts and I don't know what you expect to happen by dragging it across threads

Why did it get deleted?

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I mean my guess is because AW was one of several people who decided to plaster B4TBG's name all over the forums, which the others are probably not thrilled with! (Especially considering that it looks like they also erased B4TBG's name from the contributors page)

This entire saga appears to be people wildly overreacting at each other and it feels like an incredible waste of emotion and effort all around imo

Sad to see goonhammer closing ranks around the transphobe.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Acebuckeye13 posted:

No, B4TBG made a dumb as hell post in some other subforum like six months back,

It was this forum and then he probed people who rightfully called him a bigot.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Sorry, I was getting the times he did that confused. Anyway, time to take a big sip of coffee and read some hammer of math articles on goonhammer dot com.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Here’s some of the models I’m most proud of this year.

Not necessarily proud of The Poddening but I also did it so it should be documented:

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Safety Factor posted:

I will sponsor goose willis. Invite him.

Let goose in, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Here’s some photos I own that can be used in banners:

The photographer did kind of a lovely job with the interior so I took my own, you can use those too: