Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

It's always longer and always worse than you think going in.*

*applies to all diy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Jaded Burnout posted:

I guess I also need to figure out whether installing new soffits, fascias and guttering is something I can do myself or if I need to pay a guy.

I fixed the gutter on one side of my previous house with my dad's help when 3/4 of it ripped off due to the weight of ice build-up. I decided I'll just pay for gutter work next time.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Popping chalk lines is fun.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Why couldn't use just get a lock like this that's keyed externally but has the easy throw lock/unlock inside?

I mean your solution is fine I guess but I'm not a fan of the look.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Ah yeah I forgot about English doors having the mail slot. And with your lock being an integrated full length thing that certainly changes how to approach things.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

brugroffil posted:

JB I just wanna know how you've managed to explode so many impact driver bits

comedy option, he's not buying impact bits

and/or no name brand where they put impact on the box but they are actually regular bits

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I would trust DeWalt for sure but the top few reviews say the bits are bad for impact usage. Now I haven't looked at other brands reviews so maybe they say the same?

Phone posting I'll probably look some up later because now I'm curious.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Mister Dog posted:

Holy poo poo you just solved a problem for me

Double post, I'm intrigued by this post :)

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Jaded Burnout posted:

I mean, they're designed for it. I only really snap them when they've been in use for a while and I'm pushing them.

After doing 5 minutes of research I found one website that tested different bits, but lol they tested them with phillips screws, I assume schmug was the tester :v:

https://www.protoolreviews.com/tools/hardware-fasteners/review-bit-battle-are-impact-rated-bits-worth-the-money/6447/

Sooo I dunno maybe you just are doing a lot of screwing and they are breaking as expected.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Just don't roll your jointer into a wall after you put wheels on it :v:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I would either get some friends over with some furniture lifting straps to move it (if you get the other base type) or you could probably build something like this youtube video to lift it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9nQif1Cw9s

Friends over paid via beer would probably be the easiest method.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Interesting to see you looking at separate companies for landscaping and gardening, from my limited experience here in the US a landscaping company would also do the gardening such as it is (putting in the grass, plants, any sprinkler system if needed, mulch, stonework). Do companies tend to have different responsibilities for these areas in the UK and/or do you plan to have a gardener doing work on an ongoing basis to maintain what the landscaping company puts in?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Do these regulations apply because it's a habitable structure? And if so what makes it habitable? Heating, insulation, plumbing? Some or all of those?

Seems weird to me that you could presumably renovate your actual house without building a fully compliant bathroom, you know in the part where people would actually live, but then a new build garden shed has to have that stuff. Like I don't think you're reading anything wrong but wow it's just so bizarre to me. Interested to see what you end up finding out from the local council.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Probably easy enough to rip the awning and ladder hooks off if someone ends up whining about it to the council, but I sorta doubt it'll happen.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

NotJustANumber99 posted:

weird you've never told us about the rooftop hot tub you've installed? Saving for a new thread perhaps.

You need to learn your thread history! That's one of the large skylights installed, with at least one having poorly sealed edges which JB re-did with an elaborate lifting mechanism.

JB is your skylight supposed to be rated for a high enough insulation value as to have less heat going through to melt snow? I've never looked into R-values for windows as compared to walls/roofs (rooves? :v:).

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

England does not get that cold in winter. With your specs and the fire you plan to install I don't really see a reason to care about insulating the floor and honestly it probably barely matters to insulate the walls but I suppose that will save you some on running the fire. It gets toasty doing manual labor things unless you are wanting to wear shorts in winter.

That's my hot & uninsulated take.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

E: With the current mess in international shipping (how much MDF does the UK produce domestically? lol) my suppliers in the interior wood world seem to think things are probably going to get worse before they better-the 30% price hike you just saw may be part of that. All that to say, if I could predict the price of XYZ in 6 months I wouldn't be making cabinets for a living, lol.
well there's at least one chipboard factory in Scotland because Geowizard went through one during his journey across Scotland in a straight line :v:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Imagine 4 slabs, not on a cliff, because they are in JB's garden.

(nice work)

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Jaded Burnout posted:

Spoke again with the joist manufacturer. Apparently a bunch of their bigger jobs have been pushed back due to the customers being unable to source bricks! So 5 weeks lead time has become 2 weeks. Just waiting on the council..

Too bad you threw all those dug up bricks away, sounds like there's a market for them!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

It's certainly an interesting building method and I'm enjoying reading you do it and think through it JB.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Vim Fuego posted:

George RR Martin finally published a new book?

Lots of screwing, broken promises, taking years to complete. This checks out.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Did you make that two separate pieces just so it'd be easier to solo position or is there another reason? Looks good!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Are you not allowed to hook up your own oven per UK law I guess?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Jaded Burnout posted:

It looks like it was changed in 2013 to only being an issue if a new circuit is needed, which is probably fine even if I had to hardwire it, but I dunno, it's all a bit murky. You were always allowed to do your own, you just had to notify the council if you weren't a registered electrician so they could check your work.

I'm not too bothered but when the proper installation happens it'll be along with other hob etc wiring so I'll get a sparky in for that bit anyway.
Interesting!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

anything actually involving wiring is heavily regulated basically everywhere that has building code enforcement (note he appears to be wiring it directly into the wall vs just plugging it in) for what are probably extremely obvious reasons
Yeah I'm trying to remember back about...8 years now when I installed a new dishwasher to replace an old broken one versus having the big box store installers do it for whatever their rate was. No permitting was even mentioned by the store/installer people. IIRC I was doing a hardwire for the dishwasher into the previous box so it wasn't a new circuit or box. Also this was TN and not a oven and also years ago.

Out of curiosity I looked up Oregon where I am now and looks like replacement appliances at 30 amps or less require no permit but over 30 amps or new and you'd need a permit. Some random oven on homedepot.com says 40 amps so likely any oven here would need a permit regardless. (well assuming it's not plugin I guess)

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Just wear ear pro when running the loud poo poo, use walls for mounting various storage solutions, I don't think I've ever seen a wood or machine shop on the youtubes where they've tried to install sound deadening.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Gasmask posted:

no build the loving stairs next

JB's long-con bit is to never build the stairs and eventually destroy the SA forums from our collective lack of protection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Jaded Burnout posted:

Found a fully grown sparrow in my home office this morning. Trying very hard not to think about how it got inside the house.

Well it didn't walk up the stairs mate.

ed: your office is probably on the ground floor I just now realized gently caress

tangy yet delightful fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 30, 2023