Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

wait so if I have a database or webapp running on localhost, some random javascript from the web can access that and download data and then send it back to wherever?

gently caress me of course it can. that's absolutely horrifying.

no, unless you configure the local service to permit it, via CORS headers

E: similarly, something awful dot calm can't fire off a request to gmail and get your mail. cross-origin requests aren't permitted to read responses into script unless the site explicitly opts into it

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jan 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

gee i wonder how most webservers are configured.

uh, what web servers are configured with permissive CORS?

repeating my edit:

similarly, something awful dot calm can't fire off a request to gmail and get your mail. cross-origin requests aren't permitted to read responses into script unless the site explicitly opts into it

localhost isn't special, and shouldn't be

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

sorry, i didn't mean to say that apache/nginx allow permissive cors, but rather ye old rails app trying to integrate with a SPA running on node.

sure, how are most of them configured? if you're running rails anywhere (including localhost, which would be an odd choice I think) then having open CORS means you can get hit by an arbitrary site. it has nothing to do with localhost

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ohgodwhat posted:

Didn't we just see a bug report on a service with permissive CORS running on localhost?

sure, but it'd be the same bug if it were running on whatever.com, which also happens. a browser won't just bridge arbitrary origins, an explicit software-level (vs configuration) secfuck is required

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cocoa Crispies posted:

does CORS prevent js-triggered or user-initiated form submissions from happening, or just their result being visible to js?

forms can be submitted cross-origin, but results aren't visible. this is where CSRF comes from, and the use of request tokens. many frameworks already handle that stuff for you. all the origin architecture around form submission predates CORS by...a decade? it would actually be a huge pain to change even if you could wave a wand on compatibility, because post-to-other-server-when-non-submit-button-pressed is a very common and useful pattern

CORS shouldn't prevent any user-initiated action, fwiw

ymgve posted:

as far as I understand it's the other way around - if there's no CORS policy present in the localhost site headers, the browser will not allow javascript to communicate with it

correct

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ymgve posted:

also this puts the burden of restricting on the browser, so if you have a non-sane browser, like IE5 for some reason, you might still be vulnerable

IIRC IE5's proto-XHR didn't allow any xdomain requests, other than through their trust zone bullshit. oh, and the still-to-this-day ignoring of port number in the origin :eng99:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Progressive JPEG posted:

Google are just blindly assuming useragent Firefox == no support

Google does naive user-agent poo poo all the time

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

vOv posted:

sometimes just sending the request can be enough even if you don't get to read the response

sure, but in that case a redirect or image tag works

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cocoa Crispies posted:

not for a POST?

oh, fair enough

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shaggar posted:

yeah it sounds like they may be trying to come up with a set of standards for disclosure processes so people aren't left out which on the one hand makes sense. having CERT act as a clearing house for the disclosure from the start could be good and would also have the benefit of shifting liability for the disclosure off the companies involved. On the other hand how much do you trust the feds to handle security on your behalf?

didn’t CERT used to do this in the 90s? I’m pretty sure we worked with them on some embargoed issue.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

spankmeister posted:

They still do, not only US-CERT but also Carnegie Mellon CERT aka CERT/CC. I've worked with both extensively on certain hyped vulnerabilities. (And non-hyped but arguably worse vulns lol)

Btw It's dumb to just say "CERT" because there's hundreds of them globally and in the us specifically it's unclear if you mean US-CERT or CERT/CC.

yeah, I was thinking of US-CERT, my bad

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

anthonypants posted:

i'm pretty sure hipaa isn't prescriptive and that you're thinking of fips certification

ugh loving FIPS

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

are clandestine military forces at a civilian facility going to jog around the base in formation every morning? maybe do push-ups together in the courtyard?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Trabisnikof posted:

You haven’t been to the perimeter of many us weapons labs I take it

the two I’ve been to were pretty obvious

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

cheese-cube posted:

no i havent but im sure they dont have loving bike paths

Livermore and PNNL do, actually

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Trabisnikof posted:

They just usually don’t let you sit at fence with binoculars for hours without getting someone’s attention :v:

I sat in a car across from the Livermore staff entrance for 2 hours once, undisturbed. no binoculars though

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cocoa Crispies posted:

or it means someone on tv news said "hardened network" too many times and convinced the dumbest person in the white house to ask for it

this right here

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pseudorandom name posted:

iirc, Windows Update uses TLS integrity but not encryption, which is forbidden by the HTTP/2 spec

so, you know, typical Microsoft quality web development

the spec doesn’t mean you’ll get arrested if you don’t follow it, just that you won’t interoperate. they don’t care about interoperation, so it’s just as fine as if they’d used a totally custom protocol

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

if you can’t do the time, don’t do the browsing

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MononcQc posted:

eh, to me it's more about the measures developers should probably take to protect their users' privacy because seemingly minor things (like a tracking cookie, for example), could be used by authoritarian regimes to purge people.

what would protecting their users' privacy look like in this case?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cocoa Crispies posted:

selectively lower the resolution based on the number of individuals that have worked out in an area

the post I was responding to was talking about a tracking pixel, not Strava

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yes, good, very practical. thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

what mail client doesn’t behave that way?

• Locked thread