Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
0 day every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

welp time to start the hospital counter i guess :rip: hopefully someone learned

hahahhhahahahahhaa.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i know, right. im just really not looking forward to a major life/-support system being hit by this poo poo, affect it me or not

Hello! If you are seeing this it's because your pacemaker is no longer accessible, because it has been encrypted. Perhaps you are looking for a way to recover your heartbeat?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i thought we all agreed to disable the heartbeat extension

THE HEARTBEAT EXTENSION IS MISSION-CRITICAL AND REQUIRED WORDPRESS 2.0!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Taking a shower at the gym I realized that anybody flushing the toilets makes the water temp go up by 10F.

MitM attack if I have ever seen one.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

communism bitch posted:

can you flush enough toillets to effectively ddos the showers into pumping out boiling water

I would think that's a buffer overflow.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I'm going over the OpenSSL docs to review their cipher support (schannel/openssl configbomb incoming)

:words:

Hey, these are actually really neat! Do you mind also handling libressl as well? Thanks!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ThePeavstenator posted:

I shot the Sharif, but I did not shoot the Calibri.

They say it was a Capital offense!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ate all the Oreos posted:

my friend moved from using gentoo to plan9, what kind of mental illness is that

He will probably become a serial murderer.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
In non-security fuckup news:

- I was able to get LibreSSL into mainline Buildroot.
- I converted all of my projects over to using LibreSSL.

:smug:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
OH HEY

The OPENSSL people IGNORED Tavis.

https://github.com/libressl-portable/openbsd/commit/91744d3deae1b0a448f936d107d1934c12510fee

You can't ignore Tavis! You will regret this!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

im the tyool 2017 infosec-related product person typing out loud "Some dude named Travis Ormandy"

Oh they know who he is. ;)

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

When I make a product I want it to be endorsed by Tavis.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Security Fuckup Meathead - v14.1 - Security City 2000, Mayor Name: Tavis

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i set mine to a password a game beta test assigned to me more than a decade ago, but that was back when i was too dumb to keep rear end and had various password0, 0password, pass0word, etc

Mine was my BIOS version number of a long forgotten motherboard I had back in the early 90's. That way if I forgot all I did was reboot!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

spankmeister posted:

i think ratbert recently switched to libressl in their codebase

Yep. It works just fine. A small patch to NTP was needed, but nothing too huge.

Edit*

LibreSSL is API compatible with OpenSSL 1.0.x, but not OpenSSL 1.1.x... Almost (See below)
At least not yet. Looks like v2.6 is starting to work on that, so that's good.

99% of the applications that fail to compile against libressl I have found fall into two categories:

1) Packages that are compatible with both OpenSSL 1.0 and 1.1. Usually, they have macro checks like:
code:
#if OPENSSL_VERSION_NUMBER < 0x10100000L
Solution: Add a libressl check in there as well on the same line.
code:
#if OPENSSL_VERSION_NUMBER < 0x10100000L || defined(LIBRESSL_VERSION_NUMBER)
2) The package explicitly uses CMS and only CMS.

Solution: Switch to PKS and stop using CMS.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 19, 2017

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
It's a huge red flag to me when a website has a limit on maximum password length.

They should be hashed and salted correct? Then all of the entered passwords should be the same god drat length in your database.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I don't think hating on DD or KK is hating on poor people. It's hating on lovely bad for you food.

People shouldn't eat or drink that garbage. One would argue that people think even less of the
nutrition information in a huge caramel frappuccino than they do a donut.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Look at that cracker not being very safe. :colbert:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Lol, Apache is such an unadulterated gigantic poo poo show.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I don't remember this being posted, but it's so good and you guys should watch it.
This guy is insanely good at what he does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrksBdWcZgQ

Edit*

Enjoy this really cool thing he made as well:
https://github.com/xoreaxeaxeax/sandsifter

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Sep 22, 2017

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ThePeavstenator posted:

How does a modern website even manage store passwords now? If you know what you're doing you're going to salt and hash. If you don't know what you're doing every webapp-in-a-box template/module is going to salt and hash your user's passwords.

People are loving dumb is why.
The first time I made a database to store passwords I thought to myself "Self, don't be a dumb. Take a few hours, do some research, figure out the best way to store passwords." After a few hours I had a bcrypt/hash/salt setup going that stored passwords not in plain text and I thought it was pretty decent.

99.99999% of the people out there won't even think about "Don't be dumb" and will just go about storing poo poo in plain text.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Security Fuckup Megathread - v14.1 - Hello, is this a delivery order?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Just found out my company has SMBv1 turned on.
This is after WannaCry, and after upgrading to server 2016. :stare:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

spankmeister posted:

I wanna bet the domain functional level is 2003 or 2008 at the most

All the corporate servers were updated to 2016. There isn't a corporate server that's lower than that.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i think what he is saying is that your modern servers are configured like it was fashionable s decade ago

Oh, well yeah probably, as the guy the CEO hired to do it was a blithering idiot who refused to accept that poo poo changes over time.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

anthonypants posted:

domain/forest functional level also doesn't impact smb but using smbv1 in tyool 2017 is a good indicator that your it department is dumb

That would indicate we have an IT department.

Corporate has its own network that has a single Trunk going to the engineering network. Corporate runs WS2k16, engineering runs CentOS7.

Engineering is 100% in charge of the engineering network. I set it up where every server runs yum-cron, SELinux is set to enforcing, and firewalld is setup as well.

Corporate I have no loving clue, but they updated a few months ago from WS2003 to WS2016. Apparently, they don't give nearly as much of a poo poo about infosec as I do.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

RISCy Business posted:

let's run the firewall on the same system normal users have access to, nothing could possibly go wrong

Normal users sure as poo poo don't have access to the engineering servers.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

RISCy Business posted:

do you really want anyone besides network/security people to even have the possibility of touching your firewalls

compromised user account? rogue employee?

you're opening yourself up to way more risk than if you were to run a hardware firewall with good throughput on that network and only allow a much smaller subset of people to access it

also you wouldn't be janitoring firewalls on multiple different systems because you'd have really neat stuff like object groups

Who says I don't have a hardware firewall? :confused:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

RISCy Business posted:

more like onepiss!!!!!

one plus one equals don't buy one!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The fact that WS2016 has SMBv1 turned on by default is so bad I can't even describe it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

in actual security news and not "i know what insider trading is, shut up with your facts"

https://twitter.com/GossiTheDog/status/948833769963900929

All the more reason to not use AV.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
edit: never mind

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jan 11, 2018

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLsJDELd4lo

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

i aint trustin no dude that realizes an arch is hosed up and keeps slamming his dick into a keyboard writing kernels for it and angry mailing list msgs about it

sorry folks, we are cancelling support for Linux on x86.

• Locked thread