Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

*In management voice* "We don't negotiate with criminals."

*Camera slowly pans, following employee's longing gaze to a critical server terminal with a window demanding a $300 ransom from a multi-million-dollar-a-year company with no backups*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

explanation I gave over the weekend for what encryption is: "imagine a lock and key, but they're made of math"

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Well this morning certainly has been interesting.

I work at a large global company that makes lawn equipment and engines. Our manufacturing line computers were infected with ransomware last year and had to be shut down until hundreds of thousands of dollars were payed out.

I work in the equipment testing lab. The lab manager (who btw owns) and I are the people that maintain and develop software that handles all the test requests and test data, among other things.

I go into his office this morning and we notice that a folder in the network drive where all of our test data is stored had a bunch of [document in the folder filename].locky files. We immediately wrote a ticket, which immediately got escalated to the head of global network security. I then noticed that all the locky files were 0 bytes and I right clicked on the properties to see the owner. Every file was owned by the same guy and we work fairly closely with him so we messaged him right away. He tries being all coy saying he had no idea what we're talking about *wink*. Turns out they're all just empty and it was just a "prank".

Our IT sends out almost daily memos reminding people what to look for in a phishing attempt after we had production shut down last year. They were making GBS threads themselves this morning and wanted to speak with him right away. We told him this and his defense was "well I was just trying to check up on you guys, IT sends out phishing tests to employees all the time too!!"

tldr: A genius at work this morning decided to put a bunch of blank [filename].locky files on a network drive where all of our test data is stored as a "prank".

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

cinci zoo sniper posted:

looks like he found a vuln in his employment status

I guess it should also be noted that he's not a computer toucher, he's an electrical technician, so I don't think he knew the level of reaction this was going to get.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

hey man I never said he was smart

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

cinci zoo sniper posted:

not blaming you or anything, just didnt expect that it wasnt even a computer toucher. this is getting into windows xp screenshot wallpaper tier of pranks, only in the worst place at the worst time

The system is primarily used by non computer touchers. Product engineers write up test requests, and techs run the tests and record data and results in the system. It's primarily data for NPD but we also do production testing as well so that data is on the system too.

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 29, 2017

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Since the lab manager and I figured out the ransomware scare was fake and reported that before too many resources were devoted to this, electronics guy is just getting yelled at and/or possibly written up.

Meat Beat Agent posted:

i bet that dude will WannaCry after he gets fired lol

I'm sorry post, you didn't deserve this wet fart of an ending.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

quote:

Our hope is that offering wildcards will help to accelerate the Web’s progress towards 100% HTTPS.

who cares how we get there, just as long as every website has a green lock show up in the url bar when you go to it!

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

peel smart remote, more like peel outta the shop that tries to sell you an android if you're remotely smart

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

i willingly own a galaxy

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

my bitter bi rival posted:

Calibri more like Sans Sharif

I shot the Sharif, but I did not shoot the Calibri.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

In my college Real-Time Systems class we did projects on BeagleBones running Debian. One of my classmates decided that he was too smart to use such a poo poo OS even though it was distributed by the professor and required for the class. Instead he decided to use Gentoo.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Every lab was just him taking 2 of the 3 hours the professor was there to try and fix his poo poo that never worked.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

what's wrong with this? it stops you getting owned by keyloggers which is a legit threat (esp for your average joe)

the fact that they can check individual characters in your password means that they've stored the plaintext password

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Trabisnikof posted:

id like to know more about owning my own network

you can start by putting Internet of Things devices on it

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Colectivo is probably the best coffee in the Milwaukee area. I think they have some shops in Chicago as well.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

gently caress facebook

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

the transcript for malwaretech's august 4th proceeding is up: https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/3923335-USA-v-Marcus-Hutchins-August-4-2017-Hearing.html

there's a bunch of absurd parts in there, but crucially the prosecution's claiming there's another co-defendant at large conveniently excusing why kronos is still getting updates

also the tale has now evolved to sold software that later became the malware

I could've walked to the courthouse he had an appearance in on Tuesday morning. If he's got any more dates coming up I might try to go and see it.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

if you're free monday and there's room:

might get a plea at that stage

Nah I'm not gonna take off work for it until the more juicy parts happen if they even happen.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

I'm the security question that's easy to look up, is based on preference so it's easy to forget, or requires information even more private than the account being secured.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

it's just an audit bro

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

well you see when two people who may or may not love each other...*puts on rubber glove*

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

ate all the Oreos posted:

how do you even do this :pwn:

this is just to see what they can get away with before they just start putting various combinations of 420, 69, and 8008 on their certs

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

cis autodrag posted:

its p lol they refer to the victims as customers when the reality is more like "persons enmeshed in our panopticon because they attempted to participate in the us economy"

im real glad that the takeaway from the equifax thing is "HACKERS!!!" and not "man it's hosed up that my personal info gets passed around by corporations for profit and there's no regulation or recourse for me to stop it"

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

How does a modern website even manage store passwords now? If you know what you're doing you're going to salt and hash. If you don't know what you're doing every webapp-in-a-box template/module is going to salt and hash your user's passwords.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

sec gently caress mor elike sick gently caress

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

lol I've taken this exact training

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

fishmech posted:

So basically Microsoft had to make K and N versions of Windows available because "consumer choice" and since they cost the same as normal windows with less functionality, very few bought them. TechNet etc would give additional windows keys for K/N releases in each windows version though, so a lot of those are floating around to get sold for use.

The same thing happened with IE in the US

and there's no way im trusting a company to not exploit being the default anything

especially one that puts literal ads on the start menu of the operating system on my pc

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

my premium browser purchase

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Shaggar posted:

before IE browsers were not free. also the idea that an os would come without a browser or media player built in was a total joke and made it pretty clear how much of a cash grab those settlements were

I'm not pretending like it's not convenient to have all of that poo poo bundled with the OS, but those regulations don't exist to kneecap Windows for being "too good".

Also I'm just not inspired to give Microsoft the benefit of the doubt when I have to opt out of advertisements in my OS.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

maskenfreiheit posted:

cubes are so 1998

orbs are the new hotness

looking forward to when employers realize that instead of giving each employee their own orb, they can save money by putting them all in one big orb

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

new sitcom: one orb job

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

fishmech posted:

And IE was free for everyone, even Mac users, and happened to be much better too. That's why Netscape died and deserved it

Netscape died because they got bought by AOL, stopped releasing for 2 years while they made their brand new browser, and by the time they came out with their new browser they had lost all of their users to IE. Also as soon as IE gained significant market share Netscape Navigator became free.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

ate all the Oreos posted:

yeah, though there's a function that turns sound into vibrations so sort of??

you can also pair it with your spotify account and stream music directly to your rear end

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > YOSPOS > Security Fuckup Megathread - v14.1 - Stream Spotify Directly into Your rear end

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

even if it's not we all knew this internally

like how we didn't need the ceo to publicly blast one random dev for not pushing a patch to know that they were trying to find a scapegoat like that internally

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

android apps ask for so many permissions that you could have some profound conversations on where android's security policy lies relative to the line between deny by default and block by exception

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

when u think about it, if you put enough holes in swiss cheese, the cheese eventually becomes the holes to the air

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Isn't Peel Smart Remote super hosed for Samsung devices? I've heard that is does something like circumvent android API permissions and runs as root so it can draw ads on your screen at any time?

• Locked thread