Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Gort posted:

So, I know nothing of French politics but I'm eager to learn. Why was Hollande considered such a failure? I actually had a bit of hope when I heard you guys had elected a left-winger back in the day.

because he was more an obama-style "left-winger"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Lawman 0 posted:

I was listening to the bbc world service and someone described him as the French Tony Blair and I instinctively recoiled as the realization hit me.

he's even helping an american idiot wage war around the world!

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

so wait, macron thinks it's a good idea for him to suck trump's dick?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

x-post from suck zone: https://twitter.com/evepeyser/statu...r%3D133%23pti27

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Honest Thief posted:

There was a rough translation on the tweet followup

whoa, thousands of euros of aid and you get no results? these people are truly beyond help...

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

how very centrist of macron to let trump come turn paris into a clown show. please tell me he'll be out of here by saturday and i have a reasonable chance of using RER B without being crushed to death?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

:laffo:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Kassad posted:

So Netanyahu is in France to commemorate the Rafle du Vel d'Hiv. As usual, Macron said a thing:

https://twitter.com/franceinfo/status/886533809709121537

nice, he's an isreal bootlicker. isn't that rarer in europe than the us?

can't imagine this and him sucking up to trump is making anyone happy with him

edit: well, maybe lepen bros?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/TerraXL1/status/886539536028901377

heh

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

unpacked robinhood posted:

On Macron's controversial (lol) words about Africa

2 weeks later

is this being pushed on them by macron? and am i reading right they want to tax people with more kids more?

jesus loving christ neoliberalism

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

steinrokkan posted:

It has nothing to do with Macron, and everything to do with exploding demographics being unsustainable. Doubling the population with every generation - how long can that work.

dealing with exploding demographics doesn't involve making it harder for parents to raise what children they have by taxing them punitively tho

women can't just unhave children

edit: but that's not what it says, cause taux is a false friend and it means rate, not tax. this is what they want:

"adopter des stratégies afin de « faciliter un déclin rapide, volontaire, de la fécondité grâce à l’accès universel à la planification familiale, l’augmentation du niveau d’éducation des femmes et le renforcement des efforts pour améliorer la survie de l’enfant. »" which means they want "to adopt strategies such as facilitating a rapid, voluntary decline of the birth rate through universal access to family planning, as well as improving the education level of women and reinforcing efforts for improving infant survival" if i'm reading it right

Condiv fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 23, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Cat Mattress posted:

A good piece on Macron's defense policy:
http://www.defense-aerospace.com/ar...n-the-foot.html

The money shot:

gotta give it to macron, fart levitation is a neat trick

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

how the hell would you even have a liberal dictatorship. isn't that an oxymoron?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

oh, i forgot, the only freedom liberals care about is the freedom to consume and purchase

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Kassad posted:

It's quoting Friedrich Hayek, who was talking about Pinochet.

why are "centrists" quoting an idiot libertarian?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Agnosticnixie posted:

Hayek wasn't a libertarian anyway. He was firmly into the liberal tradition.

libertarians seem to have not realized this

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Rockopolis posted:

Or more likely the Directory, which was pretty much liberal_technocrats.txt, and did lead up to Napoleon. So not very far off.
OTOH, I could see myself being more supportive if they brought back the Republican calendar, that was baller as hell.

that's the one with 10 months right? i made a program to convert normal calendar days into republican calendar days once

edit: oh wait it had 10 day weeks

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

does it really take ~8.5k euro a month for macron to have his face done up like this?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

R. Mute posted:

I dig that they were all going 'Macron's polls are tanking! How could this be?' as if he didn't win by being a slightly less revolting bastard than Le Pen.

and then turning out to be more revolting than previously imagined

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

i saw on the news earlier that the government is refusing to bow to protestor pressure, so i guess macron's just gonna try to steamroll this poo poo through and then stamp his feet and pout when he has single digit approval ratings

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

securite sociale will be slashed to afford the olympics!

la republique en merde

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Fallen Hamprince posted:

Melenchon is so Marxist he's horseshoed his way into Belle Epoque colonialism. If he somehow becomes President he'll invade Vietnam to make them more communist.

yet somehow still better than macron

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

what wonderful people centrists are... :chloe:

also, does she paint her face to end up that white or is she just a ghoul?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Barbe Rouge posted:

standard conservative/centrist fare, "he's wearing clothes and isn't eating out of garbage cans, what kind of leftist is he!"

they pulled this during the occupy protests too "these protesters have apple phones? they sure must love capitalism! you're staying in a tent bought from walmart? hmmm capitalist much???"

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Not if macron can help it!

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

is he seriously trying to make france a christian nation?????

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

rgocs posted:

Macron: "Le bombardement de la Syrie n'est pas un acte de guerre... Car j'ai pas dit "on declare la guerre", voila." (Source: entretien Mediapart)

that's got to be fake... :prepop:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

unpacked robinhood posted:

News from the clown car hell timeline, bolding mine

:france:

i hope they don't gently caress with OFII more. renewing my visa is already a pain in the rear end, and it's a pain for my colleagues as well

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

it's a bit late to be celebrating the 4th of july guys

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/MFrippon/status/1020019486278156289

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/Pastekk76/status/1020095854902956033

quote:

Sur le cliché, on distingue en effet des dispositifs lumineux en principe réservés à l'usage de la police à l'intérieur de l'habitacle de la Renault. Selon nos informations, le véhicule a été enlevé ce jeudi matin.

dude was a wannabe cop and apparently macron was all too willing to oblige his little friend

Condiv fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 20, 2018

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

my french is still weak, but this is saying that not only did collomb know shortly after this happened, but macron knew and tried to keep it from getting out and keep his little buddy from having to face any sort of justice right?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

khwarezm posted:

I don't know if this something anybody in France cares about but American Liberals seem to be all over the Trevor Noah/Gérard Araud tiff in a way that makes them seem more insufferable than usual.

i just looked it up cause i hadn't heard of it till now, and I saw this article about it: https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/7/19/17590302/trevor-noah-france-french-ambassador-araud-world-cup

this article seems to masturbate a lot about the american subcultures retaining their identity, and shits on the idea of everyone who has french citizenship just being "french", but the idea of non-assimilation tolerance in america is just bs. only minorities hyphenate in the US. white people don't. If your parents are french and white and you are born in america, you're just an american, not a "french-american".Likewise, if your parents were black and french, and you were born in america, you're "african-american", not "french-american". moreover, if you're not black or white, then you can expect to hear "where are you from?" on a constant basis in america, even if you have a very typical accent for the area. and if you say "america", then the question will always come up "where are your parents from?"

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

JustJeff88 posted:

Other fun facts: America, despite having the second highest Jewish population (not per capita necessarily, just raw quantity) in the world (France is 3rd), there's still a healthy dollop of anti-semitism despite being and overwhelmingly Christian country who worships a Jewish carpenter as the son of God. I'm also a Brit who lives in the US, and my favourite kind of discrimination is that people assume that any British accent is an affectation in order to get people to like you, sound more cultured or what have you. Nothing more fun to me than spending years being mocked, alienated and on several occasions almost physically beaten for speaking slightly differently than the surrounding population only to be told by Americans who've never left the country that my accent is clearly put on and I'm just doing it in order to get sex.

In an admittedly weak defence of American society, anyone and everyone here who hasn't spent a long time in the US also needs to realise also that there are a lot of people in a country of 300+ million that don't perpetuate or accept racism and the like. I have a very cynical view of my adopted country of residence and freely admit that modern Britain is a festering pisshole of hatred for minorities, but I really want you to understand how many people are trying to make things better. Having said that, the one minority that America universally despises is the poor. Neoliberalism is the philosophy that the only good discrimination is economic discrimination. There may be a great deal of compassion for racial minorities and the like, but there is no significant trace of egalitarian economic policy or even compassion for the disenfranchised to be found here. The only two political parties of consequence here are "Poor people are lazy and so are blacks, which is why they are all poor" while the other is "It's wrong to hate a homeless black man for being black, but it's okay to hate him for being poor." This country despises the poor, even the so called "liberals". Economic discrimination is the one kind of discrimination here that everyone basically agrees is just fine. If you are getting flack for being an immigrant, black, a woman, a religious minority or the like, a lot of people will have your back, but poor people are universally lazy, stupid, corrupt, immoral and deserve all the misery that they get. The American leftist philosophy is that racism is a vile cultural construct - which I'm sure we'd all agree with - but poverty is a consequence of personal weakness and failings and not in any way the inevitable outcome of an economic system that concentrates wealth among those who need it the least, encourages people to applaud and emulate those who have amassed ludicrous amounts of wealth while millions suffer and demonizes the least powerful as lazy leeches on society rather than the victims that they are.

this is how US racism works. being in france, it's a little shocking to me sometimes how people are open about their racism compared to even oklahoma, but that doesn't mean the racism is worse in france on its own. the US has gotten incredibly good at hiding racism as hating other things that are "perfectly ok" to hate. such as being poor. or being a criminal. two things that minorities are likely to be cause our economic and justice systems are set up to make criminals and poor people out of minority groups.

yes, there are out and out racists in the US that will just say the bad words that make it obvious they're racists. but the smart ones have learned to keep that poo poo hidden behind closed doors and to oppress minority groups subtly. they've learned that if they do this, they can carry out their racism just fine without blowback

Condiv fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 21, 2018

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Toplowtech posted:

"On vous jure, on l'a VRAIMENT suspendu 15 jours et le prefet de la republique, il a cafouillé durant son interview, on vous mentirez jamais." signé Le Fantome de solferino l'élysée.

Aussi dans la serie TRUMP OR MACRON, devinez qui a dit:
“We have a press that is no longer pursuing the truth,” XXX said. “What I see is media power that wants to become judicial power.”

too loving easy. trump can't even pronounce judicial

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

seriously? 5 years in prison for popping a wheelie?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Kassad posted:

"We welcome foreign (out of the EU) students so gladly we'll make them pay 20 16 times as much as locals/EU students under the pretense they're all loaded"

Bonus points for loving over universities outside Paris because lol at paying 3 grand to study anywhere that's not the Sorbonne.

this sucks bigtime

i was able to get my masters degree here cause of how cheap the tuition was. i was able to pay my tuition out of a part time job i was working in france. under these prices, i'd have never been able to attend a french university

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

is that guy that worked for macron and was caught roughing up protesters dressed as a cop still working for him?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

OhFunny posted:

https://www.france24.com/en/20190120-france-education-university-tuition-fees-international-foreign-students-africa

1. lol at France imploding its international education.

This is interesting. 13 universities have said they won't rise tuition for international students. Can they do that?

hmm, maybe i can do my phd now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

jesus gently caress he's such a shitbird