Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013

Flowers For Algeria posted:

I can't argue that Germany has had a big role as an international victim ever since 1945.
Not a role as an international actor though

EDIT: we whooped your country's rear end in 1944 and we're ready to do it again

Oh! Are the brits jumping in to save you this time, too?

Under PM Corbyn, hopefully. I for one wouldn't mind surrendering to the great jam man. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

no regionalist group in the assembly :negative:

the dream is dead

What are the corsican's demands anyway? Do they want independence? To be part of Italy?

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013

blowfish posted:

:wtc: what is this law actually supposed to do, because it sounds like something bavarian bible thumpers would think up

That was my immediate reaction, too. What is the french equivalent of Bavaria, anyway?

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013

Is Hollande still in? Or did they kick him out for destroying the party?

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013

Saladman posted:

When was the last time the French people actually liked their president? Like has any president polled higher than 65% since... Napoleon? I couldn't easily figure this out in 5 minutes of Googling re: Mitterand or whoever's popularity. It looks like Pompidou also got down to 5% approval, de Gaulle to 30%, and Chirac to 12%, so hating the president's guts seems to be like business as usual. Jesus Christ would probably only get like 45% approval ratings even if he was handing out mana and curing all ailments.

I mean, Macron might be a lovely president, but can you really tell anything at all from the opinion polls?

VVV: thanks! I was surprised not to find a wiki about it like the US has.

Yes, that would be a pretty reliable way to piss off conservatives.

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013

Nah, if the ECJ struck down part of the tax, then the Conseil Constitutionnel following suit is pretty logical.

(They’re still shits who struck down as anticonstitutional the 75% tax bracket tho so gently caress em)

What? Does your constitution cap taxes at 74.9%? Why?

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013

It is actually a pretty complicated matter. Had it actually been a new tax bracket on the income tax, that would have been fine. However, the government decided that since they wanted it to be only temporary, they'd create a new tax. But instead of using households as the basis for the calculation of income for that tax, they used individuals. This created a situation of inequality in households where one person earned over 1 million a year and the other didn't. "Rupture d'égalité" = Conseil Constitutionnel smackdown.

So, if I understood this correctly, they took offence to Household A with two people earning 999k each not being subject to th tax and Household B with one person earning 1000k and another person earning 0 being subject to the tax despite Household A clearly being the richer one?

This seems quite reasonable to me. Shouldn't the blame lie with lawmakers for making a badly thought out law?

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013

AceOfFlames posted:

This. There's also crap like this:

https://www.politico.eu/article/english-will-not-be-an-official-eu-language-after-brexit-senior-mep/

Maybe I'm being an entitled shithead but English is one of my best skills and I don't want the whole world to switch to a language (or god forbid several) that I will have to learn from scratch.

I find it a bit weird that "only one official language per country" has not been tested yet. It seems especially relevant for a country like Belgium. Did they pick Flemish or French? Seems like either choice should piss off half their population.

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

I haven't found anywhere a list of which country "sponsored" which language. So there you find articles telling you that neither Ireland nor Malta designated English as their official EU language; but on every EU document for English they mention Ireland and Malta as countries where it's an official language.

Perhaps Belgium did not designate any official language since French was covered by France, Flemish by the Netherlands, and German by Germany.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if Flemish and Dutch are considered the same language, but Wikipedia at least lists Dutch among Belgiums official languages, so :shrug:.

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013

blowfish posted:

The UK historically owned parts of France so technically it's consistent for some dumb kipper to campaign there?

The UK never owned parts of France, but even if you had written England that would be technically incorrect, the worst kind of incorrect.

Even though the Duke of Normandy was identical to the King of England for some time, Normandy was still part of the French Crown not the english one. :eng101:

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013

Kassad posted:

Trust Macron to pick Julius Caesar when asked which Asterix character he would be.

So, who's Brutus then?

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013

Toplowtech posted:

To be honest Spanish people don't deserve such a punishment.

But do Catalan people?

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013

JustJeff88 posted:

The fact that Le Pen, Regan, Thatcher and Greenspan all made it to their 90s is proof that only the good die young.

Greenspan, sadly, is still alive.

Alan Greenspan actually died years ago. Yet still he walks the earth as if propped up by an invisible hand.

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

i strongly suspect that the forty-year-old is in better shape than the seventy-year-old, just as a hunch

As a roman deity Macron is actually over 2700 years old.

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That's why it wasn't statutory rape when he and his current wife started dating.

That's the proof then: Anime is real!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013
Small reminder: before you start the revolution this time check if there are any Bonapartes around and do the needful (:thermidor:) if there are. Good luck!