Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Is there a Goon Discord for this game?

Trying to talk to people on voice while farming junk is far preferable to typing.

I also realize I may be the only person that actually wants to talk to anyone else subjecting themselves to this game, so . . . welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Zarin posted:

Is there a Goon Discord for this game?

Trying to talk to people on voice while farming junk is far preferable to typing.

I also realize I may be the only person that actually wants to talk to anyone else subjecting themselves to this game, so . . . welp.

I'm guessing the answer to this is probably "nah", but I figured I'd check once more before I throw in the towel!

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Goddamn. GR100 solo is no joke.

Or maybe I'm just bad at the game since it seems like a LOT of people don't have much trouble with it :v:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Khorne posted:

It depends on your gear, paragon level, whether you have augments, and class.

If 100 is no joke but mid 90s was, it's likely just those factors and not you. Around 98-105 is where damage gets real.

Augments are something I have been eternally bad at in this game; they're that much of a power boost, eh?

I guess in a way, it's all just "you're capped at the level you can do, until you get the gear or skill to move past it" except eventually there's a soft cap where nobody is able to push past.

Speaking of, as a player, that's something I really need to work on: learning what packs to engage, what to skip, when to bail on an elite, and so forth.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

squirrelzipper posted:

So I’ve only been playing a bit since seasons were introduced and this season have had lovely luck with jewelry and was having trouble farming with an incomplete build, what to do? Hm people say avarice/boon of the hoarder/gold wrap and gold skin can help. I have those. Ok let’s try (on a DH, dps wasn’t a problem, living was getting hard). Hahaha. Holy poo poo is this fun. Why yes treasure dude, 27.7 billion armor does sound fun! If you haven’t done this (I know everyone here probably has) it’s hilarious. I wish gold meant something but combining gems is no longer a concern! Obviously no good for GR but for getting deaths breath shards and such? Awesome.

E; still haven’t had a single loving compass rose drop though, or a unity ring. Last season I had like 4 of each. gently caress u RNG, gently caress u.

I had trouble with the Endless Walk set, too, until someone asked me if I was upgrading yellow gear. I was like "uh, what?" and then learned that I could turn a massive pile of DB and some blood shards into a full bag of legendary rings/amulets, and I had the set in a few hours.

Dunno if you tried that or not, but figured I'd pass on what I learned this season.

Same for 1h Mighty Weapons, I imagine. I told my buddy that with BK problems and within 30 minutes he was ready to spin.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Speked posted:

I could use 20 more tabs.

This guy gets it.

. . . and I limit myself to 1 character per season :v:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

tetsuo posted:

Not sure I'm following. Faster, higher GRs = more better loot? Is that right? Can you guys dumb it down a shade for me?

I think the goal is to simply maximize drops per unit time, typically expressed as drops per hour.

That's really all there is to it. You're just gambling on the law of large numbers to eventually, one day, work in your favor.

Edit: GR70 drops X number of items at the end. GR90 drops Y number of items, and 100 drops Z. From there it's just a calculation/best guess as to running which difficulty is the most efficient.

Zarin fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 31, 2019

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Organza Quiz posted:

An actual farming question: is there any convenient way to farm for the stuff you get from salvaging white gear? I got a million DBs while farming for the staff of herding and would like to turn them into upgraded rares but I keep running out of mats.

I think Act V, the plane of torment or whatever the wastes before entering Malthaels building, there are a ton of weapon and armor racks.

Farming puzzle rings might be more efficient, idk. Also, you can transmute mats from one type to another with the cube.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Now that DiabloFans is dead, what is the go-to site to look up different builds and such?

My buddy last night said "D3 Planner" but it doesn't look like I can browse builds or anything, so I think he lied to me. Or was just wrong. Whichever.

I suppose I could use IcyVeins but drat if that site isn't awful to navigate. Or read.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

bamhand posted:

I thought I had read something a long time ago that higher GR = higher% chance to be ancient? Or is that not true and it's just more legendaries and therefore higher number but same % of ancients.

My understanding is that there's a roughly 10% chance for an item to roll ancient, and difficulty does not have an impact on this.

It's possible I'm wrong, of course, but that's what I've been going on since as far back as I can remember.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I took another look at Icy Veins, and it seems far more readable than I remember, so thanks!

Idle musing: with Sage's coming back into vogue in Season 17, I wonder what classes/builds are going to be able to quickly handle T16 while also wearing Sage's. (I imagine this will bring RoRG back into vogue for DB farming as well)

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

chaosapiant posted:

I was looking at my characters last night and realized that I've got tons of "old" seasonal characters who I'd levelled up before there was a Haedrig's Gift. Aside from necro and barb, what's the funnest/coolest/bestest class and set to shoot for if I wanted to start a second class this season? Is the monk a good class to slip into?

Bell Monk is fast, and completely clears entire screens with ease. I think just having all the correct items can get you drat near GR100, before ancients and augments and perfect rolls and all that.

I have no idea how it is to play, but my buddy that was playing it seemed to have a blast.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

chaosapiant posted:

Is there an "easy" way to get set items if it's a 2 piece set where you need the other piece? Or are drops/gambling the only way to get them? Trying to see the easiest way to complete the rogue/slanderer set for my son. He has Slanderer and need the other one.

Gambling from Kadala, then upgrading the yellow 1h swords (I think those are 1h swords) in the cube is going to be your best bet, I'd imagine.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Do seasonal and nonseasonal characters mix? I don't really want to start a seasonal character with a month left. I'd rather be playing with people than just grinding endless solo grifts.

I think most of the game probably plays seasons, to be honest. I could be wrong, but that's my experience.

Personally, I'd say grab a seasonal character, get a PL, maybe play some public games or something, and keep an eye on what's gonna be good in the upcoming season.

You can have some characters of each, though, but a seasonal character cannot join the same game as a non-seasonal and so on.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Oh, someone explained this to me incorrectly then. I was under the impression that S17 would be bringing 5 new stash tabs; instead, it looks like it will be bringing one (after I complete the journey), with the option to unlock a new one each season (for the next 4 seasons)?

That's . . . disappointing.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
In other news, I've been playing Tal Rasha Explosive Blast in preparation to learn something new for S17 to use Sages, and drat if that build isn't glass if you don't have stacks rolling. Engaging Malthael is a wild experience until you get the 4 stacks up.

I feel like the build is going to need some modification to survive T16 . . . not sure what I can do that would increase toughness without cratering damage, though. (I suppose that I haven't augmented yet, so that's an option, but still :v: )

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Magus42 posted:

Is that this build?

I was screwing around with a LoN EB build last night that was hilariously fun when it gets rolling.

https://twitter.com/Magus/status/1116232281859866624

I've tweaked it a little since that video, it now doesn't lose AP when spamming EB, so I always keep the Cuirass buff.

Hmm, I was NOT using that build, but I think I like it better than the one I was looking at! Goldwrap is crazy good for everything except trying to do the Malthael bounty.

I was concerned that it may not have the damage output for T16 (which would be equivalent to GR75), but I guess there's only one way to find out!

Edit: I've been dicking around with a Tal's Channel Meteor build that's very similar to my LoN farming build from the current season, but it still needs work to be comfortable in GR75, and I'm not sure if what I need to do to bring the toughness up where I want will ruin either the damage or the speed . . . more testing required)

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Magus42 posted:

Are primals always perfect rolls?

e: from googling, seems not; is that just blind luck?

I'm also interested in this; my wizard has felt waaaaay squishier than my necro so far, and I'm not sure what exactly I need to do to fix that.

I'd have to see the build ofc, but without any of that, the comedy answer is "Are you using Halo of Arlyse or Halo of Karini correctly?" :v:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Magus42 posted:

Woohoo! GR70! Primal Fierce Gauntlets; not ideal, since I've yet to try DMO, but they're better than my previous gloves, so still good :D

I skewed a bit too far to survivability in the last few rifts though, beating up the RG was slow work.

I'm honestly surprised this EB build is working this well.

https://www.d3planner.com/250202827 is the build so far. (with a little more back towards damage)

I'm not sold on Slow Time as the last slot; just fiddling with things trying to find something useful.

I've yet to find a Karini :(

I don't have time at the moment to enter the Tal Rasha build in d3planner (on Switch so no importing), but I'll see if I can do that tomorrow.

Ahh, yeah, Karini is stupid good. It's like a permanent 80% DR.

I've since moved away from it and to the Arlyse/Ancient Parthan Defenders combo, because it serves as both an offensive and defensive setup, but Karini was my jam for a little while there.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

ZombieCrew posted:

Anyone happen to know what the top end for GR level is for a whirlwind barb? I've got decent gear and gems up to 100, but I can only really solo 95. Only have 1 item augmented so far.

That's . . . higher than I thought it would be, actually. (I don't know the actual answer, I'm afraid)

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Magus42 posted:

So I finally got a Karini - is there supposed to be a buff icon for when it activates? I've not seen anything yet...

(now if I could just find a 2nd to cube it)

There should be a Storm Armor icon on your buff bar that decays pretty rapidly; I'm pretty sure that's it.

Remember that there needs to be an enemy at least 15 yards away for the armor to trigger the buff. Typically this is pretty easy to accomplish without thinking about it; the armor has a very long range and in some cases hits things near the edge of my screen.

The only thing it might be somewhat less good for is if your'e running a melee build and fighting a single boss.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

panascope posted:

This is fun as hell.

Hmm, that secondary coupled with Goldwrap . . . . hmmmmmm.

It says your picture is an attachment; how did you do that? I've had pics I want to post in the thread but loading stuff to imgur is annoying for a one-off picture of an item.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

. . . and Lowtax needs a spine. Fine, fine. I've needed an excuse to get it anyway!

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Too bad Vyr isn't a thing this season:

Edit: Should have used TIMG

Zarin fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 30, 2019

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I mean, THEORETICALLY, I knew such a thing was possible:

I'd probably do disgusting things to make that a 20% fire roll without using my reroll.

Or, next season, lightning :v:

It may still find use in my StarPact build, once toughness becomes an issue (if we ever end up pushing that high)

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Vomik posted:

I thought primal jewelry always came with a socket (unless it has all of its main rolls fixed)?

. . . woah. That's almost game-changing right there, if true.

I just checked my Museum of lovely Primals, and actually, all my primal jewelry (4 pieces) and primal helms (two pieces) and primal chests (2 pieces) came with max sockets.

Granted, a sample size like that doesn't PROVE anything, but it's certainly interesting . . .

That makes me feel a bit better about my current project, at any rate! (Saving up enough souls to roll a Maras 150 times or however many bounty mats I have when my bounty mats:souls balances out to a 1:1 reroll amount)

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Kyrosiris posted:

Yup. A primal that can have sockets always has maximum number of sockets, unless it's a weapon in which case it will never have a socket (as you can ramalamadingdong it).

I prefer to say "Indalamar it", personally.

https://www.engadget.com/2011/05/31/wow-archivist-indalamar-the-warrior/

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Incoherence posted:

I thought we all decided they were called Gamecubes.

Oh, I forgot that one!

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Also, Arcane Power on Crit (Wizard hats, Sources, and Wands) can improve sustain as well. Resource Cost Reduction can also work.

Builder/Spender seesaw is one way to play, but as you've already found, Spender/Regen is also good! (I prefer it myself tbh)

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Marx Headroom posted:

Hold up, are there Wizard hats that look like actual Wizard hats?

I present to you: https://us.diablo3.com/en/item/dark-mages-shade-Unique_WizardHat_001_x1

Actually though, there are white items that cost like 10g to xmog to that look better than that one.

Edit: No idea which xmog this is, but it does't have the giant red band:

Zarin fucked around with this message at 06:09 on May 3, 2019

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Suburban Dad posted:

Yeah, Switch version is good. I play it when the season is long as hell and use it as a backup to PC.

Random thoughts, but I've only started 2 characters (barb and DH)
and I can't cast them all at once, have to wait a few seconds.
. . .
-You can play on a toilet

:eyepop:

This username/post combo is :discourse:

For content, I'm mad at video games right now because my special snowflake LoN build seems like it won't be able to clear a GR110 in time, so now I'm going to have to find something meta.

Also I ran out of bounty mats trying to get a CDR Deathwish for the LoN Channelling Archon/Starpact build.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Even though it's probably pointless, I'd like to get my 70 (90) wizard to clear GR 20. I'm most of the way there, I've finished GR 18, but I don't seem to have enough DPS to cut through enemies right now.

My Paragon points have been going into Increasd Arcane Pool, Cooldown Reduction, Life, and Resource Cost Reduction.
My current skills are Teleport, Magic Weapon (+20%), Storm Armor, Archon, Disintegrate (primary), Frozen Orb (secondary).

At the moment, my strategy is to use the Oculus Ring bubbles to boost my damage for disintegrate/Arcane X orb on normal enemies, and hit boss packs with Archon. Thanks to the bonus from my 4 Vyr items, I have all the powers of the archon available. My strategy for using the archon on a boss is to hug them and spam the explosion button while holding the disintegrate beam on them, and that's very effective. Unfortunately, that's just about my only effective thing, and the long cooldown means I can't just use it all the time.

With the Flawless Imperial Topaz socketed in Vyr's helm and using the Crown of Leoric as my armor passive, my arcane power cost reduction is 42%, which is helpful for spamming, but it doesn't seem to be enough. Maybe I'm not spamming the right thing. Maybe I should try Arcane Mines again.

I have a level 7 Bane of the Trapped (17% more damage to enemies under impaired control, so I should probably focus on a build that inflicts those statuses for extra damage. My own Ice Climber boots make me immune to freeze and control impairments myself.

Surprisingly I still have not actually seen a "You Died" screen yet, thanks to fast reflexes letting me run away, but there have been a few close calls by this point.

I have a bunch of legendary items, some of which might have useful passive effects to steal, but I don't have a huge selection. However, I have taught a bunch of legendary and set recipes to the armorer, maybe they have some good stuff.

Any suggestions for a Wizard build to let me clear GR 20 solo?

In the meantime,. I guess I'll just do regular rifts on Torment 4 and try and find something that works. I should use my imagination, experiment, try different things. What if I try Arcane Torrent as my left-click attack, since I have the resource reduction to make that viable, for instance.

EDIT: Belt of the Sherma just dropped, and not only is it a straight upgrade to my rare belt, but it has the "Chaos Field" which slows and blinds enemies within it for several seconds. VERY HELPFUL, and it procs very often..

If I find a Legendary Sword as a wizard, it often has bonuses like +x Intelligence. Since those don't switch to STR for a STR-based character, are those basically just worth stealing a legendary power from? Or if they have none, salvaging?

I apparently need materials from salvaged legendaries to make more advanced recipes. Do those materials only come from legendaries with fixed unique bonuses?

PC?

I mean, really, any 6pc set bonus should be good for almost GR70 (give or take), so I'd say look into that. It's an easy way to find a lot of bonus damage (maybe not toughness though)

As for not dying yet, I get that it's a badge of honor, but you're gonna die at proper-content levels. (This is normal only; Hardcore most likely has a different approach)

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Would increased magic find help increase Chitara's chance to drop the Gibbering Gemstone? That's the last thing I need for the Herding Staff.

I gave the Set Dungeon for Vyr's Amazing Arcana a try, but gave up after two attempts because getting 100 archon stacks seems far too difficult at this point. I do have a belt which adds 42 stacks, but I'm not sure that would be enough. I think I'll have to come back with better equipment.

Is that more of an exception or a rule? I'm wondering if unique weapons with on hit/on kill effects also count your hits/kills. I'm guessing not, I equipped a follower with Overwhelming Desire and the charm effect works, but only seems to trigger with his attacks. I also gave him a unique weapon with a 20% chance to cast chain lightning.

I think a lot of us have played the game so long that we forget these kinds of things; we just know it, like how grandma knows when it's gonna rain. She's just always known.

The Oculus Ring, by its nature, will proc whenever anything dies, whether you got the killing blow or not. In multiplayer content, the ZDPS wear it to buff the DPS. They sure aren't killing anything, but zones abound anyway. That translates to the follower as well.

For other items, such as Overwhelming Desire, Eun-Jang-Do, uhhh the Hoover neck I forgot the name of (Edit: Ess of Johan). . . those are all triggered on attack by the player wearing it. Now that I think about it, the difference may lie in the "on kill" vs. "on hit" nature of the proc, but don't quote me on that.

My BTag is Zarin#1554; I'll probably be dicking around leveling a few gems and stuff tonight if you think slurping some gear and/or xp would be beneficial.

Zarin fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 8, 2019

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Dameius posted:

Since you are new, zdps mean zero damage builds. They specifically gear for group buff or healing things.

Wow, rookie mistake on my part, using undefined technical jargon in a training document.

I promise, my documentation at work is much more user-friendly than this :(

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

I switched my passive weapon bonus from Fulminator to Deathwish and boy was that a game changer. That 325% extra damage on Arcane Torrent turns it into a stream of death that chumps pretty much everything. The Static Discharge rune is really powerful because it shoots so fast.

I can probably turn the difficulty up another notch or two. I also found a Wyrdward Ring so I could give the Oculus Ring to a follower. (I also found a Unity Ring but that seems fairly useless on its own and also without my Templar being invulnerable.)

Of course the downside to my build is that it requires standing still, so against certain enemies and bosses, I need a backup attack for when I need to keep moving. Right now I have Shock Orb as my right-click for synergy with the Wyrdward Ring, and I don't think I have many better options for attacking on the move.

EDIT: When your items lose durability due to death, does that permanently lower maximum durability? EDIT 2: Nope! (gently caress Rakanoth's instant telefrag.)

If you're using lightning, get you a Manald Heal (ring) and cube it. You'll thank me later.

Also with an Etched Sigil (source), your shock meteor will cast for free once per second as you channel Static Discharge and it'll be glorious.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

bio347 posted:

The problem with LoN for me is that it takes longer to gear a spec than I have attention span for season-doings. Lately, I really enjoy playing a new season, finishing the journey, and putting in, y'know, 25-40ish hours (total) fully assembling whatever build I set out to play that go 'round. I don't think I've even come close to accidentally completing a worthwhile LoN set during any of these recent seasons.

Grandeur was really cool because everyone could pretty much immediately benefit from it. Nightmares is very much the opposite. The only people who will benefit really at all from it are those who are going to sink large amounts of playtime into the game.

I feel like everyone will benefit from this season; the first ancient you find (even if it is a hot pile of garbage) will be huge. Statistically, you'll find one within the first 10 leggos that drop (give or take).

With that in mind, you'll then be able to use the power of poo poo Ancients to either find better ancients, or farm up a good set faster than you normally might. (Offer not valid for classes that are getting good sets in the Haedrig boxes this season; I'm playing a Wizard though so gently caress the Good Set Crew)

Based on how I did this past season (Played almost exclusively LoN in the RoRG season :shepicide:), a good LoN build doesn't have to take a ton of time. If you start with a solid plan of what you want that first LoN build to be, just target each slot until it rolls the combo of ITEM + ANCIENT, then move onto the next. Even a trash-rolled ancient is going to be better than a perfectly-rolled non-ancient. Once you have the correct ancient item in each slot for the build, THEN you can work on getting good rolls (and this is where your sanity may tell you to wish the season "good day, SIR" and see yourself out).

But! You'll still be able to do some LoN things!

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

bio347 posted:

Statistics don't work that way. The probability of having gotten an ancient in your first 10 legendaries is only about 65%.

If you're reasonably competent and reasonably lucky, you're going to complete your Haedrig's before finding more than a couple ancients. Maybe you get a free GR20, if you've got a set with all of its damage in its 6pc, but LoN doesn't outrank even the weakest 6pc damage bonuses until like four ancients deep, to say nothing of its defensive component scaling rather slowly.

Some classes benefit more than others, sure, but I dunno. I just don't find it compelling.

Haha, I realized that's not how stats work (learned that the hard way with Jin'rokh).

Maybe I'm looking back at the start of this season with rose-colored glasses, but I felt like I had a functional LoN build completed pretty quickly.

I guess I'll pay more attention this time around!

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I think it's correct; the old cap was 4, which many players have probably hit by now. (Not me though! :v: )

They were gonna up it so that those players could get another tab for the next 5 seasons, but have seemed to backtrack on that citing "technical difficulties".

My own theory on this is that 5 new tabs required a rework of the stash UI, and the current intern doesn't have any art skills, so they'll look for an art major next semester and we'll see about it then.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Rinkles posted:

Ugh, for real?

Edit: For this season, it won't much matter I suppose. That means they have another few months to get it right, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Rinkles posted:

Wouldn't multiplayer defeat the purpose of racing against the original run? How does that work?

Near as I can tell, the purpose of CRs is a quick method of getting bounty mats without having to do bounties :v:

I mean, yeah, it trivializes the content, but as far as I'm concerned, most of them aren't really all that fun, and I definitely wouldn't touch them if they didn't give the reward. (Even then, there are some weeks that I forget it! :negative:)