Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Esroc posted:

gently caress you. I've clocked hundreds of hours in this game and have never seen a compass rose even once. But I have a dozen travellers pledges. It's such a problem that I've actively considered that I've wronged someone at Blizzard in the past and they are punishing me.

Have you tried renaming your barbarian Cohen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Rinkles posted:

This playthrough is feeling a bit pointless. Over an hour into act 2, and nothing so far has been the least bit challenging (outside the beginning of the game before I had any gear). I don't think my health bar has gone below 50% once, and it's usually full because of how generous the life gain gear is. I get that the "real game" starts at level 70 or whatever, but this feels like a waste of time. Why would you design your game this way?

Just up your difficulty until it feels challenging.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

JohnnySavs posted:

There was an Uliana build a few patches back that used it to great effect. You roll off crit on every piece (for other positive effects) in exchange for pretty insane burst damage on Seven Sided Strike/Exploding Palm. 5% base crit means any random three hits in a row is 85.7% likely to give you CHC steroids, which is about as reliable a proc as you can get.

Man I'm going to roll a monk again for S12 I guess...

It's not really 85.7 because it counts AoE as a single hit for the consecutive hit count but separate hits for crit purposes. So an explosion that hits 5 guys has 5 chances to crit but only counts as 1 hit for your no-crit streak. So as monster density goes up you become less and less likely to proc the ring.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I wonder how the RMAH would have gone over if we had smart loot and post-RoS itemization and Torment difficulties and Adventure Mode from day 1 rather than Inferno i61-3 Act gating bullshit.

Like, with the original lower droprate on legendaries, sure. But if the loot system hadn't fundamentally sucked so badly.

Probably not a huge issue. I remember buying decently rolled useful legendaries for a few million like a Skorn or dual socket (remember those?) Manticore. I had characters in Act 3 Inferno and capable of doing the Hellfire Ring stuff and their gear probably cost < $5 combined.

I'd imagine a full class set of non ancient gear being pretty cheap. Except maybe for trifecta gloves/jewelry.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Rinkles posted:

What's a reasonable GR ceiling for a novice player using an Impale DH? I doubt I'll get to 80.

Haven't tried this season but in past seasons 75 is doable by any class if you just get the required items and they are decently rolled. They don't need to be amazing or anything, you can probably do it with 0 ancients.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Seamonster posted:

As I have a good amount of mats on nonseasonal, will cube re-rolling give me the updated version of an item changed in the patch, i.e., blade of prophecy? I want to dick around a few builds while nothing really matters.

Yes.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I'm sure Nats with lightning RoV for one shotting everything on the screen in T13 will be great though.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Is Maurader really bad now? Finished GR80 in 11 minutes while UE takes about 4 with comparable gear.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
It's just the one on Icy Veins, I've tried rockets and grenades.

https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/demon-hunter-marauder-sentry-cluster-arrow-build-patch-2-6-season-11

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I think it's same time but the enemies get harder, but not proportionally so it's still easier with a group.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

kiwid posted:

Also, can you move the skills around to other spots or are you stuck with that person's bindings?

As a general rule, nothing you do to your character is permanent (except leveling up), all skills, passives, stat points can be swapped around at will.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

bio347 posted:

I'm continually weirded out that almost all crusader builds revolve around mass attack speed. The heavily armoured warrior of the light, wielding a bigass 2h flail in one hand and a massive shield in the other, is aaaaaaaallllll about attacking as many times per second as possible for some reason.

It's mainly a result of main damage ability consumes a ton of resources vs does not consume resources. Or is dependent on cooldowns vs not dependent on cooldowns.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Plus it's kind of just a pain in the rear end to have a different pair of bracers/amulet per spec.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
You can just join public games with the bounty tag and knock them out in 15-20 min. Also the power creep this season means T13 is trivial.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Good luck crafting an azz-fist, those things are a pita to get from upgrading yellows it seems

Got it in 3 crafts. First craft was a Lion's Paw. I think they re-adjusted the rates for items with super low drop rates this patch or last patch.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I found SWK Bells to be great for speed running as a monk. Just one shot the whole screen at GR70, and this is without Focus/Restraint. Downside is you will randomly just die because you have 0 toughness.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
GR90 should be trivial for any class this season as long as you get the required items. They don't need to be ancient or anything.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I'm really struggling with the Meteor Firbirds wiz build. I cleared a GR70 by kiting a shitload but even down to a standard T13 i'm just getting one shotted by anything ranged.

https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/wizard-channeling-meteor-firebird-build-patch-2-6-1-season-12
I'm wearing this piece for piece, skill for skill, all gems 25+. Run in, freeze everything to top of APD DR then go to town. I'm taking drat near zero melee damage but some random arrow will take me out.

I'm drat near feeling the need to ditch the CoE for a RoRG and slap on Aquilas

Unity should do the same thing if that's easier for you.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Paragon 400 and missing...

Traveler's Pledge
Compass Rose
Ring of Emptiness
Lakumba's Ornament

Come the gently caress on, game, lol

You screwing me hard

Also the literal last three gems I got were Trapped, Taeguk and Stricken so my legendary gems are currently ranked 5/0/0 :smuggo:

P600 and only Focus, no Restraint, neither Compass nor Traveler's, and just a single Unity. I have all the other parts of my build though and can get to GR80 ok.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

euphronius posted:

I have a question. I got the IK 6p which raises damage by 1500% when the two buffs are active .

My sheet was 600,000 with no buffs . I put on both buffs and sheet Dps says only 800,000. That does not appear to be a 1500% improvement .

What am I missing .

Set bonuses don't show up on your character sheet. The sheet is only useful for comparing performance between two of the same set.

So if you have IK and want to see if gloves with 10 crit 40 chd is better or 9 crit 50 chd is better the sheet damage will tell you that. But it won't tell you if your Raekkor set is doing more damage than your IK set.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

JohnnySavs posted:

Since the RNG refuses to give up a second Unity or a single Lion fist, what should I switch to from Uli for variety? The "top tier" wave of light looks interesting, or run support for a while? I think the only thing I'm missing is illusory boots.

Bells is super super squishy. I tried it and I one shot stuff at GR85 but die if anything looks at me funny.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

I’m only at gr40 with not great gear and I basically have to run rrog and both of those just to survive long enough to pop ep and sss.

At GR 40 run a rune that's not cold for exploding palm. The dot will kill stuff for you, no SSS needed.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I'm playing monk this season and at GR40 you should just kill stuff before they kill you. Dash in, punch until palm is applied and gently caress off to the next pack. You'll have a toughness problem until you get to GR 70+ because the main way you get toughness (landing SSS) doesn't work because stuff dies too fast.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I have almost every class up to 50, but I'm scared to open my Haedrig's because I don't know which class I want to actually play at higher levels.

It only takes a couple hours of bloodshard farming to find an entire set (or more) for a new class. Just pick one that looks fun and go for it.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I'm up to GR 89 with SWK and yeah you do a ridiculous amount of damage but you die if someone even looks your way.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

bio347 posted:

I think this is just... sort of what happens, now. Overall, damage got boosted waaaaaaaaay more than toughness, so your ability to do things is basically predicated on your ability to survive.

Is it? I did GR90 with 0 deaths on the DH. Haven't tried with other classes though.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Man The Thrill is such a joke now. Didn't have non set pieces for shoulder, hands, neck, chest so I just did it half naked. Took 5 minutes.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Any idea why the Icy Veins guide for whirlbarb recommends Pain Enhancer when it seems like Gogok would be better for it in every way?

Pain Enhancer can stack more damage than Gogok in high density rifts if you're really pushing high GRs. That's my guess.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Diablo isn't worth playing without RoS. The necromancer is just that, an extra class. So if you're fine playing one of the other 6 classes you can skip the necro for now.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Vakal posted:

I was curious about how this build works, since on paper it seems inherently inferior to just a pure marauder build.

But taking ***Diablo 3 Math*** into consideration, I'm assuming the marauder's +15,000% increase to skill damage actually puts out less damage than Nat's +3,500% increase to total damage?

Nat's increases all damage you do while the Marauder bonus is your personal, non sentry damage. The Nat + Marauder build is primarily about doing a bunch of sentry damage.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What is the best build among DMO, Tal Rasha, and Firebird's? Currently running Frozen Orb DMO and it's pretty good but I feel like I have a lot of downtime after I burn through AP. It's only a few seconds but that's a long time in Diablo.

For DMO you try to pool your resources for when CoE is on cold and then dump it so downtime is part of the play style. It's also why I don't play DMO.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Sagers posted:

I seem to be missing a transition step somewhere. Generally a new 70 with decent yellows, uniques, and some starting set gear can handle T1/T2 without issue. Once you assemble a set in the 2.6.1 era, there's a noticeable bump up to T6-TX with some good rerolls. "Easy" is what I consider one-shotting mobs, not running into resource problems, and reliably proccing In-geom or whatever your movement speed buff of choice is.

However, trivializing and farming T13 always seems to be a hurdle for me. Is it expected that I have to cheese toughness with Endless Walk and/or Goldwrap-Avarice Band-Boon of the Hoarder combo? Balancing that with high mobility makes it tricky for me.

Bell Monk is squishy but I can make up for it with the Agility Mantra, Epiphany, and the dash that improves dodge. It helps that the DPS is crazy high but I see big differences between using In-geom for quick dashing vs Kyoshiro's blade for DPS i.e. being able to speed through the rift and being able to DPS hard enough that resource isn't an issue.

UE-MS-DH / Corpselancer Necro both have to use the goldwrap combo.

What's the turning point to say I have enough vit and defensive rolls? Does all gear need to be augmented or is my paragon just too low (high 700s currently)?

I know T13 is the point where "don't stand in poo poo" is more relevant but should I expect to always die to random grotesque explosions?

DH shouldn't have to use goldwrap at all for T13. You just murder everything on screen in < 1s. The only things that one shot you have a huge wind up like grotesque explosions so just don't stand in those. It's not like they're hard to avoid. The game is expecting you to avoid things that have a long wind up time and don't follow you around so you're not meant to be able to face tank them.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Dec 4, 2017

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

boneration posted:

You know you can reforge set items, right?

That's a huge waste of resources unless your weapons, ring, and amulet are perfectly rolled already.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

KDdidit posted:

More recent 70 questions:

Why the hell didn't I start doing public T13s rifts sooner? Those things just poo poo out loot and paragon levels when paragon 700+s are running around. Was doing T5 solo and these are amazing. Related question: what do I do with dupe oranges and all yellows? I just have been throwing oranges in storage and selling yellows.

Have your blacksmith scrap everything. Don't sell it.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Beach Bum posted:

I'm reforging, not rolling for other set pieces.

Uh, what? It's much easier to get a usable set pants/chest/boots that rolled ancient that I can then augment than it is to win the loving jewelry lottery. I've got 6/9 affixes on my rings/amulets, I'm good with that for now.

Ancient armor items give you a really small increase in total stats compared to getting the right rolls on weapons and jewelry. You're spending a lot of resources on easy to get items for not a lot of gain.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

GTJustin posted:

Occy ring on your follower is mandatory, it's a 75-85% dmg buff when you're in the circle. I prefer templar for heals+spirit regen, throw tfury/occy ring/unity/templar token (upgrade yellow tokens from blacksmith till you get an invincibility one).

Gear wise I think you're fine, but I would roll your vengeful wind 10% dmg to life per hit. Drop the belt for a witching hour, Kyoshiro's Soul doesn't really do much since you only lose sweeping wind stacks when you don't attack mobs. Just get in the habit of tapping sweeping winds when you enter/leave new levels. I'd start looking for a unity ring on your monk, I think hardcore uses zodiac, softcore can go for more damage.

The belt is helpful when you die on a boss. It can be a huge pain in the rear end to otherwise get your stacks back. But I suppose the answer is to never die.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
5-10 is normal if you're running GR 70+ stuff on the reg.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I think 6-7 runs is the statistical average for getting all the bosses. So you're about right in line with that. It took me 5-6 runs for my last guy too, luckily he was on floor 3.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
SWK is much easier to push with. Just switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Pushed further into the season than I expected with my first guy. Hitting a wall on high-60s GRs though, and I imagine higher GRs are my only real chance at getting gemmed to 65+ to get a conquest for Destroyer tier. Is that accurate or is one of these other conquests deceptively easy enough to do?

The GR40 with no set piece once is trivial. Every class should be able to get 80+ fairly easily though. You'll probably need to pick up every item required for the build but you won't need augments, ancients, or high level gems.

For example:
This guy can do GR80 easily. Only notable piece of gear is an ancient source.
https://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/bamhand-1890/hero/95795309

I did GR40 on this guy, didn't have non set pieces for a few slots so I just left them empty.
https://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/bamhand-1890/hero/95451182

bamhand fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 10, 2018