Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

Johnny Landmine posted:

I've mentioned this in here before but a while back Stardom/Sonny approached a friend of mine who made wrestling-related youtube content about potentially working with them and he refused because the offer was basically "You have to stop doing your other content, but if you do a good job for a few months, we might pay you"

e: For what it's worth (not much) that was pre-Bushiroad though

poo poo, I remember when Kris Wolf was getting a whole bunch of international eyes on the product and then it came out they weren't even paying her particularly decently for the wrestling.
Gaijin weren't being paid well at all but on top of being a wrestler, Kris Wolf was also doing some of their photoshoots too and I've no idea if she was ever paid well/at all for that. Kris Wolf had some seriously infectious energy and would've been the perfect person to put on commentary but she just ended up moving to the Nordic wilderness with her wife (Probably again, because Gaijin don't get paid well in Japan and not just related to wrestling)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Jungle Kyona is the Adam Page of Stardom

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Are there any gifs of Raku's slingblade from TDE Gifs or anything? I've seen a little TJPW but for some reason her Slingblade looks like a JBL spinning clothesline from Hell

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

It still looks like a spinning clothesline to hell to me, there's a lot of really lazy Slingblades in wrestling these days

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

The nice thing about TJPW is that there's subtle storylines and major storylines and it doesn't matter if you're a long-time viewer or a first time viewer because you're just going to get TJPW every single show. They've done a really good job at giving everyone pretty distinct gear and wrestling styles at a glance.

There's a couple girls that wear mostly pink. Is she the one who does the big swings or the one who kicks people in the face? Two girls who wear yellow, is she the one who dropkicks people and flies off the top rope with twintails or the one who sits on people and puts them to sleep? Even if you're as vague as the tall one with light colored hair you can narrow it down to the regal one who hits people with roses or the flaky one that pokes people in the eyes

It's not the best wrestling but they're nailing personalities and unique wrestling styles.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

coconono posted:

Mayu named her dog Cheese
That was Kairi Sane

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

I think it was either a tiny cut or she had part of her skin pinched but either way it was completely accidental

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

forkboy84 posted:

Good. Funny though, Suzu literally had a series of deathmatches, and a hardcore Tag Team Tournament this year.

Coincidentally this popped up in the timeline: https://twitter.com/DramaticDDT/status/1465794375640834049?t=AhX6jSSjTmG1P4rnqQLPVw&s=19
It's been a while since I've watched Ganbare but it'd make sense after Manase moved over since she was a little more risque than the average TJPW wrestler

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Johnny Landmine posted:

Congratulations to Rika Tatsumi for getting new gear that is "good" and not just "not as bad as her last gear" for the first time. A true milestone
don't shame people with a diaper fetish

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

TJPW is more comedy/character based which is why their cards are full of random tag-teams. They do have some stories but they're usually longer and don't progress every show. Most of their stories outside of Saki-Sama's stuff are just long-term rivalries and sometimes it's months between interactions. The positive in this style is that you can expect TJPW to be consistent pretty much every show and it doesn't matter if you miss a couple shows.

I tried watching Stardom for the first time in years recently and there's a ton of factions and back-stabbing and all sorts of things going on that I feel like I'd need a primer to know half of what's going on but the wrestling is more serious and storyline focused with random faction matches filling in between big shows, closer to what NJPW does.

Just in general either way you go, it's a lot more common for Japanese shows to have no commentary at all

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

TJPW don't try and mold people into the perfect Joshi wrestler is pretty much all there is to that, they have been taking on trainees who have backgrounds in all sorts of other things like comedians, idols, softball players, or parkour enthusiasts.

Sometimes you end up with a comedian like Yuka Sakazaki who takes well to it, or athletes like Miu and Yamashita who become total naturals. Sometimes they just get Pom and that's okay. They're not trying to make Pom wrestle like anyone but Pom. If the performance center trained people like TJPW it'd be a lot more fun to watch because these washed out football players would only have to do spears, powerslams, and big swings and might still be able to walk by the time they're 28

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Rarity posted:

Who was the parkour enthusiast?
The bird rookie was someone that Shoko met while doing stunt work in her free time

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Can someone give me a rundown of what's going on in Stardom right now? Last show I watched was the blowoff to a big Watanabe/Starlight kid feud where Watanabe turned on her own stable and there's a bunch of people running around in creepy masks from a youtube copypasta and that's the extent of my knowledge

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

I have such a vague understanding of Emi vs Nanae's philosophies on how Joshi should work but iirc Emi had the approach that Joshi should be for everyone and fun for both the wrestlers and the fans which is why she split from Ice Ribbon to start a show in Thailand called Gatoh Move which eventually morphed into Choco Pro while Nanae wanted a more serious and disciplined style like AJW

You can see the difference in styles because Emi's best student is Riho who was trained from a child and Nanae's protoge is Asuka/Kana in the WWE. Asuka herself had really strong opinions at one time on what Joshi wrestling should be (More serious, no idols or children) but she lightened up a lot before she even signed to the WWE.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

This is the bump I want AEW to give to everyone. I want to see Yamashita answer Serena Deeb's open challenge

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

tjpw girls all vanity search like crazy on twitter but to their credit, a lot of them are just willing to have short conversations with fans even in stuff they weren't tagged in or even in stuff that's not related to wrestling at all. A few years ago I mentioned Kamiyu untagged after hearing about how she got bullied in america for being having a strong accent and needing to learn English fast and she DM'd me and we talked for about half an hour about our experiences. She had no reason to, she just wanted to and then she followed me back and before I deleted twitter would just occasionally like random tweets I made

If that's TJPW's strategy on keeping fans interest in the product it really worked bc I went a long time without watching Wrestle Universe but wouldn't cancel it bc of that interaction

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

TV Zombie posted:

Excited for that appearance.

How is Deadlock able to bring in all these people?
All that NewLegacyInc money has created a new super indie

Realistically though they fill a great niche in the southern east coast and they're run by real fans who just want good wrestling. North Carolina is too far for me to travel to but since NXT is dead they're really the only place south of the tri-state area running good shows now

Tampa Bae fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 13, 2022

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

I think Asuka also had similar observations as the "Genderless Wrestler" being mistranslated and people trying to be mad on her behalf

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Rarity posted:

For anyone not following the New Japan thread Japanese fans have just voted on their top 15 favourite wrestlers. STARDOM had two featured, Mayu at #13 and SLK at #11
Mayubushi and Lionheart Starlight Kid are both very good wrestlers and as much as I love tjpw those two are miles ahead of almost every other woman in the world. The best since uncoincidentally enough, Io Shirai, Satomora and KAIRI signed to WWE.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Power Windows posted:

Speaking of which, I'm surprised Io wasn't on that list considering Shinsuke and Kenny are.
Io spent the last calendar year either injured or under Vince McMahon's vision of NXT, she really hasn't done anything significant. Nakamura still had good matches on the main roster

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

I saw that shirt on Twitter and I had a friend from Japan order one for me. I'll never wear it in pubic but that shirt rules.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

fez_machine posted:

It's a TV Asahi poll so they're very heavily bent towards favouring BushiRoad wrestlers. But that's also where the largest audience so, it's probably fairly accurate.
They've got no reason to be bias towards Stardom, NJPW and Stardom might be under the same umbrella but they've got their own broadcasting deals. It's why Stardom and NJPW probably won't be a package deal any time soon. This isn't like AEW/ROH or DDT/TJPW, it's a lot more complicated

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Raku and Pom are far from good wrestlers but god bless them, they're trying

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Just have her cheer on Raku's opponents and feed them energy drinks to prevent the goodnight express. Turn it into a blood feud

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

"She's Made of Rubber!"
"HOW DID THAT HAPPEN"

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Bray Wyatt should take some pointers from Miu on how to do creepy merch

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Does anyone have a schedule for Choco Pro for the next two or three weeks because I'd like to go to one of those shows if possible

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Choco pro is on the break, but I'm imploring my friend to adhere to the TJPW standard of picking an ace, an UUG and a rookie and since there's a lot of new rookies it should be a lot of fun

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

We'll be at the show on the 22nd. I'll make sure we clap for Namba, I have no idea who the rookies are or what the card will be aren't most of the wrestlers in America right now?

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Mercades was also training with the TJPW roster a few days ago so I know she's a huge fan of wrestling and specifically Joshi and not just a mark for herself so great on her for standing her ground and proving her worth. She had some of the best NXT matches so I'm here for her becoming the modern era Alundra Blayze, I think she's going to end up with multiple Meltzer classics with girls like Mayu, Gulia, and Syuri

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Crapple! posted:

I'm glad she's working in Stardom and NJPW but still going to be loving pissed if she wins
If she practices a match the same way she did in NXT then I'm all for it because the Takeover Respect and Brooklyn shows were so drat good but a rowdy crowd probably added to that

e: I'm so torn on wrestlers that could be all-time greats stuck in the WWE in their prime. Make that money but selfishly, I want to see women like Bayley, Rhea, or Bianca having good matches outside of the WWE or Becky and Dakota having a second wind since their indie careers happened when before they developed

Tampa Bae fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 23, 2023

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Burn Down Canberra posted:

It's sonny he's the dude that does everything at stardom
Sonny has been the worst part of Stadrom for a decade

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

This is the first stardom show I've watched in a year I think. I was never a huge stardom fan but I'm a long-time joshi fan so I know most of the girls here

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

I remember watching Makoto, Syuri, and even Kana when they were rookies in person so seeing the next gen of Starlight Kid and Mei is pretty sobering, they're so good

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Mei and SLK are like watching Rey Mysterio fused with Manami Toyota in their prime and they're only going to get better

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

I think it's time for an All-Together Joshi event. I wanna see Mayu and Hyper Misao, I wanna see Syuri and Yamashita, I wanna see The Bunny vs Rina Yamashita

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Not Mizuki, the AEW Bunny who is also a sadist

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Don't act like Mizuki isn't above shooting fireworks directly at people

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

SG Bamboo posted:

Yuka is famously bad at cooking, Arisu Endo got her first ever singles win in a cooking battle over Yuka
Happy for my Zebra girl, she was my rookie like two years ago. Proud of her. So much Joshi happening in this world right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Crapple! posted:

sorry I don't believe it until i see it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi7czms7_eY

Are you doubting Mizuki has no sense of right or wrong