Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I want a dog again. :(
This.

But working full time doesn't really lend itself to having one, unfortunately. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Would I be right that this is the "steam clean and paint it" version of "refurbish"?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The opening of The Circle is Emma Watson in a broken-down Geo Metro.

Now I know one of you has that as a fetish.

Tomarse posted:

I'm trying to build up a comprehensive toolbox that I can keep in the back of my Landrover or chuck in the car for long roadtrips.

Its a landrover so the list of possible repairs that I want to be able to deal with is quite big and some stuff is fairly heavy duty!

Has anybody else done this and been organised enough to have made a list of what you put into it?

This is what I've got so far:

- Jump leads!
- Stanley locking adjustable instead of just a generic one
- BSW/BSF sockets if you'll be messing with any of the bits requiring them
- I see little additional value to the 3/8" drive kit if you have the 1/4" and 1/2" in there. That's a "nice to have" for me.
- Batteries for your torch
- Breaker bar
- Don't buy those circlip pliers with interchangeable heads. Buy a set of cheap one-piece ones
- A jack that won't kill you. Well, not easily.
- A reasonable length of thick (say 12mm) blue poly rope
- Fast setting JB Weld or Araldite or similar
- Another, smaller, vehicle to go and get help

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Hi, my name is Landrover/ACVW/Opel Owner, and I'm an alcoholic.
I can stop whenever I want to. Single circuit drum brakes not withstanding.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

Is there a reason for the blue poly rope over a flat tow strap and ratchet straps? (I have both of these in both landies already!)
You can use it to do a lot more stuff, basically, plus there's no guilt over cutting it to suit what you need to deal with. And everyone knows it has infinite tensile strength (Actually a little over a ton and a half for 12mm).

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Also, happy freedom day, you ungrateful colonial bastards (Well, it's the 4th here. Feel free to wrestle with your conscience about accepting proper British timekeeping vs sacrificing the opportunity for an early start on shooting fireworks at drunk bald eagles or whatever poo poo you get up to).

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Door Frame posted:

Joke's on you, we get to play "gunshot or fireworks" for the next week
Pretty certain an M203 or similar would allow you to put those hands together.

The Locator posted:

If 'proper British timekeeping' means not changing your clock an hour back or forwards a couple of times per year, we already have that. You just have to live here in hell Phoenix. Well, most anywhere in the state actually, except the Navajo reservation because they felt the need to be different (and by different I mean just like most of the rest of the country).
No, it means changing them at the proper time, like a civilised person.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Tomarse, I see no fuel/vac hose in that list.

Also that list is slightly better equipped than my whole garage, I know all the landy jokes but are they really that bad?
They really aren't, but bear in mind his is both deviated from standard a fair way at this point, and is more of an "expedition" setup.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

:doh: missed that it was for the FC. Yeah, go hog wild.
Well, he didn't say, but I assumed it was from some of the contents.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, I'm jumping on the "Baby Driver is primo" train.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

Worth getting on bluray, or is it only good in cinemas?

(I hate the cinema )
Well, I'd say it's good either way.

Also, Showcase have a "director's hall" premium screen with much nicer seats and its own private lounge, which would be my pick every time for going to the cinema, but some of my friends are too tightfisted to stump up the extra few quid.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I saw my parents at the weekend, which means I've taken some of my mum's shortbread in to work. If you bake or have someone else who does, this is the best recipe:

Shortbread Recipe posted:

250g butter, softened
250g plain flour
125g cornflour
125g icing sugar
Caster sugar for dredging

Method
1. Pre-heat oven to 150 C/300 F
2. Grease a 270mm x 170mm x 30mm tin.
3. Soften the butter in a large bowl.
4. Add the flour, icing sugar and cornflour. Work together with the hands to form a ball. (Handle as lightly as possible)
5. Place mixture in the greased tin and flatten using the palm of the hand.
6. Prick all over with a fork.
7. Bake for 50-60 minutes. The cooked shortbread should be a pale golden colour all over; do not allow it to become golden brown.
8. Remove from the oven, cut into fingers and dredge all over with caster sugar. Leave to cool in the tin.

KozmoNaut posted:

It's all hosed to poo poo, clutch fork, bearing and clutch. $1,600 repair, gently caress me sideways with a rake :emo:
$1600? Did you buy an E60 M5 or something? Jesus Christ mate.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

Not a Lancia Integrale, turn in your colors.
"These colours don't run"?

*Awaits Cat Terrist Integrale rant*

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BigPaddy posted:

Housing in England generally isn't that old. Lots of Victorian period onward housing but the old stuff was torn down and replaced with brick built homes over the last 200 years. House I grew up in was 1920s along with an entire estate of the same houses built for the staff of an aircraft factory.
Mmm, a lot of stuff is post-WW2, thanks partly to :hitler:.

American house construction is still very strange to me in many places, timber framing is very uncommon here. It seems very cheap and lacking durability, though I appreciate a lot of it isn't necessarily the cheapest-possible method used in the average a McMansion.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If you have a "project" car that you really have because it kind of fell into your lap, but you're honestly not that bothered about, it's probably better to sell it on rather than wrangle with your ambivalence and keep buying bits for it to try and kindle some interest, isn't it?

Tbh I'd almost certainly end up well in profit by selling the car and accumulated bits.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It's a Ford Sportka with an apparently blown headgasket.

I was going to try and build a comedy monster hot hatch on the cheap, aquiring bits like a Focus 2.0 front cut, forged pistons, big turbo etc, but I've come to the conclusion that I can't really be arsed. Partly because I've ended up with other stuff that's more interesting to me, partly because I can't find a cheap way to sort out the engine management and fuelling.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Actually, surprising lack of rust. It's a pretty good one.

Physically getting the 2.0 in there would likely be easy enough, though I'd either need a different flywheel for the Ka gearbox, or custom driveshafts to use the MTX75 (which was the original plan).

But making it run could be entertaining, as it turns out the later Ka uses a Siemens ECU, not a generic Ford 104 pin EEC-V jobbie. It seems less plug and play than older ones.

Not insurmountable, but again, I basically can't be bothered when I'd rather be messing about with other stuff.

Also, I'd probably get more money selling the Ka with the sickly engine and the Focus front cut (or parts thereof) separately. The prospective project was largely a product of getting the Ka and bits really cheap.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

Fixing a project car you don't care about is like dating a stripper with no boobs: without the excitement, it's not worth the hassle.

Lol, that stuff costs as much as the car did!

CommieGIR posted:

:gonk: Please no.
Where's your sense of adventure?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

You use sawdust to 'fix' noisy gearboxes
Putting sawdust in there may attract a hamster to live in the engine, which would actually measurably increase the output.

Adiabatic posted:

Sell it before you get too hard-headed about the eventuality of it running and the years of sunk cost and time into that loving bmw
Actually it does run quite nicely, it just gets hot really fast - But the BMW isn't going anywhere! I've not put any money/time into it really, so it's not particularly acting like a millstone, but it's one of the entries on the "never sell" list.

Cleaned up pretty well with just a basic wash. Will give it a bit more of a going over tomorrow to take some pictures. Stuck a spare charged battery in it and it seems happy enough, engine issue notwithstanding. Turns out there's only 32k on it, too.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

I like the color! Those are so uncanny valley to me.
It's Ford Imperial Blue, it's been a mainstay colour for sporty Fords here since the 90s.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Yeah you should fix it. It's not like it's hard to do a head gasket on an inline four. Get a new part from a local equivalent of RockAuto, fix it, flip it.
Ehhh... Yeah, I've nailed a few head gaskets back together in my time, and there's nothing complicated here (it's a chain-drive SOHC 8V, the 1.6 Rocam engine they use in South America a lot), it's partly that I really would rather work on something else in the fleet, and partly that the value of these is remarkably low - I'm honestly not sure if the cost of a head gasket kit (about £65 with bolts) and getting it a fresh MOT (£40) to make it a going concern again is worth the time involved in terms of payback, compared to just shunting it on.

Well if you're after making a little space there's about 6 cubic feet of car I'll take off your hands back there.
Lol, no, you're not having it! Or the other one (not that you'd want it)! And part of the reason for wanting to free myself up is that there's something else just out of shot on the other side of the Ka as well :ssh:

Actually that's quite nice looking, for a ka.
They are quite fun little goblins, but the turning circle is hilariously awful for the size of them. Of Ford stuff of this period, I'd have a Puma.

All joking aside, do any UK goons want it as a flipping project/warm hatch toy?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

I've just looked at the completed/sold listing 2003 SportKa's on ebay and most of them seem to have blown headgaskets and have gone for £120-£150, whereas the very small sample of working ones with leather seats seem to go for £300-£500.

That is indeed a very tight profit margin there!

Sell it as is and use the space for something you want more.
Pretty much where my mind's been heading. Clean it up and take good pictures and move it along.

cursedshitbox posted:

I think it's official enough to post. The wife and I are moving to Ukraine. it is not open for debate or renegotiation.
We've rented a 500sq-m warehouse, and are starting the second makerspace(that i'm aware of) in this country.

However.

Buy my tools, truck, bus, and our fabrication poo poo, and david's DR. (my bike is tentatively sold already)

You all should know that incase poo poo goes awry we do have an exit strategy planned. We know what we're getting into.
Depending on what you'll be doing for accommodation there, Is there a justification to ship the whole lot across wholesale?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cursedshitbox posted:

In short, VAT for the truck is $52,000 usd. so. no. Shipping for two bikes + 4 pallets is anywhere between 4-7000 usd. Selling things in the US and rebuying here is a stabler option than trying to drag all that poo poo here, wait for customs, hope shippers don't gently caress poo poo up, etc etc.
Yeah, fair enough. You know you now need to buy some massive ex-soviet military truck(s), right?

Also, I imagine you would have really dug into this before the decision, but what's the deal with being gay there? I know it's legal, but socially, where do you stand on a spectrum from "no fucks given" to "being chased down the street with torches"?

cursedshitbox posted:

"The Ukraine" is about as bad as saying Poland belongs to Germany.
Hell, I still don't know how socially acceptable a given way of referring to the wirral peninsula is. In polite company, "not at all", obviously.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cursedshitbox posted:

IMO? Bedroom matters belong in the bedroom. These people tend to share the same sentiment. There was a gay pride in Kiev not too long ago (I'm in Zaporizhye). I tend to blend in with everybody else here, and don't do PDA, so far so good.

Some would probably be tempted to bust my head if i were out hitting on guys or smoochin someone on the streets, but that ain' my thing. I'd say it's on par with some rural parts of America.
Yeah, that's fair enough. I mean, there's weirdos in every country who have a problem with people being a given way, but it sounds like it's both ok and suits your outlook on it. Won't cause you hassle is the main thing.

cursedshitbox posted:

Trucks? I am limited to 7500KG in mass weight. I might be able to bob an Ural and deal with the associated red tape, but I'm not doing that. I want to start using the knowledge i've acquired in college and start building robots.
Ah, EU-conformity licensing of some kind? There may be some interesting quirks to it, it's worth drilling down to the specifics. For example, I can drive any weight if it's pre-1960, unladen, not towing, and for my personal use.

What do you do, get a local equivalence for your US licence, or take a test for theirs?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cursedshitbox posted:

We've already two businesses all for this project. One of which holds interns at the state universities and has reached out to them already. Of our 10-15 friends, they've reached out to their networks. So far there is massive support for such a thing.
"Errr... We were told Naomi Wu was coming?" *Looks hopefully at your suitcase on the offchance you're smuggling her in there*

Liquid Communism posted:

So you got tired of Bay area crazies and decided to go full eastern bloc because that somehow seemed more reasonable?

Your life man, hope it works out well.
Well... Why not? There's a lot of opportunities out there in the world, if you can find likeminded people, and there's a strong argument that this kind of thing is going to be a lot more fulfilling than doing what a hundred other people are doing "back home". To a lot of people, a cheap cost of living and stuff to physically do that feels like it's actually achieving something is a lot more reasonable than whatever the zeitgeist is for the bay area.

Tomarse posted:

I rent a small garage to store all my car poo poo. Currently it is full. Just been given 7 days notice to clear it so they can knock it down. Bastards :(
It may be worth asking on Pistonhead's law section if you're entitled to more notice, but I strongly suspect that all they need to do is give notice of one rental period, and however you're actually paying them, that period is technically one week.

How much/what kind of stuff are we talking about? Do you have an alternate place to store it?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'd say get up B&Q for some cheap OSB (the 11mm stuff is like a tenner a sheet if you buy at least 5) and make crates for everything, that lets you stack stuff and keeps it pretty weatherproof for a fair while.

I need to do something about my collection of axles on that front.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Sold the Ka within 30 minutes of listing it on Ebay.... TO A COMPLETE loving MORON.

"Yeah, I live in Portsmouth* and I'm going to come up and buy the car and take it to a garage, how much is it going to cost to fix? Can you take it to a garage for me to get a quote?"

loving idiot loving cuntbastard mouthbreathing twathammer wankstain timewasting fuckwitted JESUS H GODBASTARD CHRIST. :fuckoff:

Relisted it.

*This is a near 200 mile distance.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
One of my mates is down there right now, but is refusing to be a good sport and go poo poo in the guy's letterbox.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ka sold, paid for and gone. :byewhore:

Awww, lookit the doggie :3:

spog posted:

Thank christ there weren't any nudes.
Did you try the "request private showing" button?

spog posted:

I hate plumbing.

This is under my kitchen sink:

I want to add an additional appliance drain for a dishwasher.
Tee off the existing one?

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 9, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

To the fuckwit from Portsmouth or someone else?
A local (seemingly) non-fuckwit who actually came and looked at the loving thing first.

spog posted:

I don't really want to do that: it seems a horrible bodge and I can't help but think it will end up with my greasy dishwasher draining into my freshly laundered shirts.
Uhh... It shouldn't be able to do that, there shouldn't be a siphon effect from one to the other.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Just had a new CNC delivered at work. Apparently no-one measured the height of the factory roof vs the gantry loader mechanism movement path.

Yaaaay. :toot:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It was suggested.

Looks like they're going with moving it around to put that end under the higher clearance point, though.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Adiabatic posted:

If anyone has telegram I've got a car group chat rollin. Hit me up with your username or however the gently caress that works.

Also slack channel is at automotiveinsanity.slack.com
I genuinely have no idea what you're talking about. Telegram?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Seems like a bit of an odd thing lobbied into place by a bunch of 65 year olds.

I'd have thought something like "theft from vulnerable people or those in care" would cover the apparent intent more effectively.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It's one of those risks of unintended consequences I guess.

Generally, I'm of the opinion that specifically directing the wording of laws toward any one group of people - whether nominally to try and protect them, or to try and get them for something - isn't the best idea.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I, too, am retarded when if comes to Slack.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, it seems like a very odd way to do things.

Let me in!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Again with ebay people. Go an entire front cut for sale, and matey wants to pay a third of the asking price for just the engine. Buy the whole lot and sell the bits you don't need if that's what you're after. Probably work out lower net cost for you too.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ok, right.

You owned a CRV worth A.

Your immediate cost to pay off all the outstanding finace on it would be B.

A is larger than B, yes? So you're not upside down on the car.

You went to a dealer to buy a new car, which would cost C.

The dealer offered you a trade-in amount for your CRV, D.

Of D, there may be two components.

D1, the amount they will pay direct to the finance company, which should equal to B.

D2, the balance of their trade-in offer, which they should pay to you.

Is the dealer saying that because D1 was actually larger than B, you should return the difference to them, rather than it being part of D2? If you do, does it get deducted from C?

Has the dealer, in total, paid out the trade-in amount D that was agreed, against the new car price of C?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
No direct experience, but do they actually get the mpg numbers it says on the tin, or is it just fantasy?

If it were me I'd get one of the FIRE based 4 pots, because they've had 30 years practice making them and they're a relatively known quantity to me.

I think the Multijet diesel is reasonable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

Cheers guys. I'd never expect to hit the manufacturers mpg. I've got 65,000 miles logged in my Aygo with 48.16 mpg as the overall average. Toyota state 69mpg combined... I'm not in this for exacting economy figures, just a cheap car that I don't have to fix or spend money on.

I love my Aygo, but I have decided If i'm going to spend 4 hours per day sat in it that I want a car with more comforts in the form of aircon and preferably a sunroof. The Aygo only came with those options from 2015. That is still too new for my preferred car budget (maybe in 2 more years)

The panda however has come with both of those options forever so its easy to find a decently priced one.

The 1.2 just seems really boring and is a slight performance drop from the Aygo. I was hoping the twinair might retain some more of the 'drive like an idiot' factor that the 3cyl has.
Panda 100HP seems like a logical one to try.

• Locked thread