Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Does anyone have a subscription to the wall street journal or know of a way to deal with its paywall? I'm curious about this article but not enough to get a subscription to a foreign (USA) newspaper.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/putins-unlikely-ally-in-his-standoff-with-the-west-his-central-banker-1534773380?mod=hp_lead_pos5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

this seems like a decent moment to buy some gold stocks to profit off of the gold hoarders (and kind of becoming one by copying their behaviour), am I wrong?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

https://twitter.com/BenjaminRamm/status/1053260054122639360

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

out of curiosity, what do gun manufacturer stocks behave like in an economic downturn?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Can someone make the case, in laymans terms, why deficits don't matter. I agree with it, but last weekend found myself in a discussion where it came up and I discovered I could not articulate coherently why it's not a primary concern.

(a link to a good article is also fine)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Jon Irenicus posted:

looking for a recommendation from the thread - our department put together a book club for the honors students this year and im looking for more of an economic centered book for the history of america as defined by labor, wealth, capital, etc. to give you an example other books in that club I threw in are Overthrow, The True Flag, Stamped From The Beginning, and The Color of Law. any good recs i could read over the summer to toss in?

I mean .... https://www.amazon.com/Austerity-History-Dangerous-Mark-Blyth/dp/0199389446

it doesn't confine itself to the usa (bits of japan, a lot about the eu/germany, etc) but there's a substantial amount that is directly applicable to the history of the usa

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Can someone point me in the direction of a macro-economic explanation of how, in the 1960s families had one wage earner and were mostly fine (unless you were a single mom), but today two income families can't keep up? The answer's probably :capitalism: but I'm interested in the mechanics of how that transition occurred and why, other than bernie sanders, no-one seems to be mentioning it or how to fix it.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

there's something that's bothering me and I'd hope to find some insight from some of you. There are a number of people, most prominent (?) among them Kate Raworth, that basically state that in order to survive we need to ramp down our constant societies' desire/need for (economic) growth - reduce our resource extraction to what our habitat can tolerate. On the other hand, there are people within the modern monetary theory field that state that budget deficits don't matter because the return on investment - the economic benefit, economic growth - will ensure that those investments pay themselves back more than they cost.

Those two points of view, taken on their own, seem logical and progressive, but they clash because one depends on growth while the other wants to do away with growth. I don't have an answer for this contradiction, partially i suspect because I don't have a full grasp of the MMT argument. Soooo could someone explain this to me or point me towards an explanation?

double nine fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 14, 2019

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

some sort of fish posted:

it seems like youre missing the real point of the mmt argument, which has nothing to do with whether or not a deficit "pays" for itself via return on investment (although it can supplement the arguments).

the core of mmt is that governments are the sole issuer and collector of their currency, so the typical way of looking at government spending is inverted. the us government does not go and collect us dollars, shove them into a bank, and then slowly dole out these dollars over the course of the year. instead the government first spends money, using dollars that it creates from nothing. these dollars then circulate through the economy until they are taxed, at which point the government destroys them. this is (part of) the reason why mmt proponents say that spending deficits are meaningless. a government will never default* because it is forced to, it only defaults because of political will. the limit of spending in this model is inflation, if the economy is at full employment and the government keeps issuing currency inflation occurs. the mmt method of controlling this is to simply raise taxes/issue bonds.

*on debt denominated in its own currency

thank you. I'll continue reading up on it, but this makes more sense than my "model".

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

RIP Syndrome posted:

Yep. As long as you count all energy inputs on the labor side.

Technology optimists often think tech increases productivity on its own, but in an industrial society it's better seen as a catalyst for various forms of energy input.

Edit: Forgot the doomsday angle

that's really cool (in a terrifying way) - do you have a source 'cause the people I want to show this to tend to demand the source as their first deflection.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Rex-Goliath posted:

apple announces $75 billion buyback

that makes me think of this article and also causes my blood to start boiling.

quote:

When will fusion power my house (or vehicle)?

MIT Researchers: This is obviously an impossible question to answer, but we can give some thoughts about when it might happen, and why. First, the current official plan is that ITER will demonstrate net fusion gain (Q = 10, that is, ten times more fusion power out than heating power put in) in about 2028 or 2029. (Construction will be done by about 2022 but there’s a six-year shakedown process of steadily increasing the power and learning how to run the machine before the full-power fusion shots.) At that point, designs can begin for a “DEMO”, which is the fusion community’s term for a demonstration power plant. That would come online around 2040 (and would putt watts on the grid, although probably at an economic loss at first), and would be followed by (profitable, economic) commercial plants around 2050.

This seems like a long time, and it is, but it’s important to understand that this is not the only possible path. You might say that we’re not a certain number of years away from a working fusion power plant, but rather about $80-billion away (in worldwide funding). We’ll get into this more in response to one of the other questions, but there are other experiments that could be done in parallel with ITER that would certainly speed up the goal of a demonstration power plant, if there were the money for it. Here is a graph based on a 1976 ERDA (predecessor to today’s DOE) fusion development plan, showing their four paths to a reactor, as well as a business-as-usual funding case that would never lead to a reactor, and in black is the actual funding amounts. (All values are adjusted to 2012 dollars.)

e: link: https://hardware.slashdot.org/story/12/04/11/0435231/mit-fusion-researchers-answer-your-questions

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

pdf x-change editor & foxit reader are both decent enough for generic pdf reading, and the occasional edit. Plus they have free versions of each.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Zudgemud posted:

My decently large university is very actively moving away from Adobe products due to their lovely licensing. That's at least 6k employees worth of Adobe license money down the drain, and no new users being churned out by our various programs.

Its because of rear end in a top hat moves like this that Adobe is forced to go after older license holders. If only you people would allow Corporate to rifle through your pocket for spare change, they wouldn't have to become so draconian. Trust the system, it works :colbert:

Or are you a Commie?!?!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

they "survived the blitz" just in time to recreate the blitz.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

metro 2033 was a documentary

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

comedyblissoption posted:

just a reminder obama withheld a tiny bit less of taxes on american paychecks and told no one in the hopes they would not realize they had more money so they would spend it instead of save it

So literally copying a west wing joke/ punchline as policy

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

https://twitter.com/BCAppelbaum/status/1283522577340731403

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

number is never going to be allowed to fall down

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

what will highjinks does number get up to this time? Find out, Same time, same channel!

and now for a word from our sponsors....

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Rutibex posted:

rich people have helicopters

what's the going rate for a stinger missile these days?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Shear Modulus posted:

cumshitter gets put on probation and the stock market instantly collapses

cumshitter, what did you do?!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Cumshitter, the motion picture, based on real events 2020:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJBZmuv7FtQ

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I wouldn't be surprised if it was something to do with more advertisements/hour or more breaks to sell overpriced snacks in

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I did not realise Tim Curry was in that movie, poor bastard, he should have joined the space program instead.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

time to buy in the dip!

This really going to need an update in a year or so.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

where's that declining rate of profit mp4, I can't find it

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

so how are the next 24 months going to pan out. Eternal support for a zombie economy through stonk markets while the rest of the economy dies and the dollar exchange market plummets? once the honeymoon period is over and the biden administration fails to/doesn't try to support the filthy peasants, something is going to crack, right? So what will snap first?

double nine fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

As far as I can tell, financial assets are buttressed by the central banks in the US and Europe making a point of not allowing the stock price to fall. So until Fed policy changes, I don't know if a bubble burst is possible? God knows what the biden administration is going to do next though*

*if there is economic illiteracy in this post, please educate me

double nine fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 3, 2021