Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Popping in to say Namco Museum is Very Good and worth it if you like arcade games. Definitely worth 30 if you're a fan of the specific games, and 20 if you're just curious.

The inclusion of a tate (rotated 90 degrees) mode is amazing, and the whole package is pretty dang sleek. Only one or two stinkers in the bunch, at that.

I'm going to finally beat Tower of Druaga using my dead gay arcade console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

SeANMcBAY posted:

How in-depth are the challenges? I loved that kind of thing in NES Remix.

Unfortunately, not in the NES Remix style. It's usually some variation of a mode for each game, with special conditions or map selection and its own leaderboard. Kind of like the Caravan leaderboards for the NeoGeo ACA titles if you've played any of those.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Improbable Lobster posted:

What's a game with good HD rumble?

Namco Museum, surprisingly enough.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Mom Hid My Game is already on mobile for free. It's about 30 minutes long. Don't buy it on Switch, TIA.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Never got around to playing Kentucky Route Zero on Steam, so I'm glad to be grabbing it on Switch.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Stardew Never, idiots.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Love that the Death Drive is a thing in this and appears to be a new recurring thing in Suda51/Grasshopper stuff. Hopefully Uncle Death will make a cameo.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
I want Stardew to come out just so people here will Shut the gently caress Up About Stardew.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
The right way to play Arms is to drink and play the funhaver mode (Party?). Losing is something that happens, then you get to punch more.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Jade Mage posted:

I got Splatoon 2 yesterday and haven't played it yet. I decided I wanted it much more than Mario XCOM, mostly because I read the OP of the Splatoon 2 thread and it sounded like a blast

You made the correct decision; welcome to the Switch's best game, past and future. Welcome to Squidhalla.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
I don't trust Nintendo to pick the actual 100 best minigames. Fight me.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Just realized what would be fantastic (perfect, even?) on the Switch:

SmileBASIC Switch Edition.

With USB keyboard support and support for multiple controller inputs, similar to the planned Wii U version.

SmileBASIC when?

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Most of the VS System games are straight-up upgrades from their NES counterparts, in both gameplay and content.

Urban Champion, though, is beyond help.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
PSA: For anyone interested in the Mario Odyssey (deeper red) joycons, they're getting an independent release in Japan / Asia and should be available at your importer of choice either now or sometime soon.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Please rush in and let me know how Golf Story is, while I play the Proven Good Series, Picross by Jupiter. I'm glad they're both coming out the same day so I'm not pressured into buying a game basically sight unseen.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
I need VS Dr. Mario back in my life. My local arcade used to run an occasional month long high score contest on it, and I'd do the thing.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Picross S is real good so far, y'all. Don't sleep on it.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

DLC Inc posted:

why is 1k Door hated so much, is it because of the story? I've never played that one but assume that is the case

Nah you're thinking of Sticker Star, which was bland and had zero redeeming gameplay.

N64 Paper Mario was the best one.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
If you have one of those PS4 wireless USB headphone sets, they work seamlessly with the Switch after the new update. Hooray!

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Motion controls are actually cool and good now,

Thanks for reading.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Butter Hole posted:

Doing it to aim in splatoon or zelda or whatever is one thing, just please dont bind a jump to a waggle, it doesn't even make sense

Agreed. Thankfully jump isn’t waggle in SMO. The dark days of DKC Returns are blissfully behind us.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Thought I was gaming the system by getting a code for SMO from amazon.jp. Alas, the code just unlocked the preload download. Another 24 hours to wait. :sigh:

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
I was going to experiment with running a personal hotspot on my phone while connected to a VPN spoofing a location as New Zealand to see if this would force an unlock, but I didn’t have time this morning.

It appears unlocks are bound to the region in which you bought the software digitally. My JPN copy unlocked at 12:00 JST, but I’d be curious to see what happens if you are connecting to the internet (or appear to be) from a region that already unlocked the software. Does that supersede the region purchased?

For example, if I had a copy from the US eShop but then spoofed a JPN connection, would it unlock?

Probably not, I’m sure some turbo-nerd has already tried it.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

irlZaphod posted:

How many jars of piss do you have next to you?

None, that’s the beauty of the Switch.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
It’s me, the weirdo that hopes one of the Bamco games is another Namco Museum.

I need Mappy and Xevious on the Switch with glorious HD rumble.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
If you got ARMS and haven’t played it for a couple of months, definitely dip back in.

The changes are significant enough that I’m really getting into it more than I did at release. It makes for a nice change of pace when I’m burnt out on Splatoon and Rocket League. The badges and new characters are very good changes. There’s also a splatfest-type event coming up this week, so give it a look!

My hot take: ARMS is a Good Game that feels like it has a lot of love behind it and I hope the team behind it gets to make ARMS2 if they want to.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Huge new Splatoon 2 update coming. Tons of new gear, maps, a new ranked mode and QOL improvements.

Between this, Xonic out today, Xenoblade next week, and a million other games I haven’t beaten and indies, the Switch already has too many games!

Please, Nintendo, I have a family to feed.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I see Switch isn't region locked, so will I be fine to buy a copy of Super Mario Odyssey here in America for my girlfriend who has a Japanese Switch? She will want to play it in Japanese.

Also, is there any sort of peripheral or add-on that would make a good gift, or that is basically essential for it?

At least as far as digital copies are concerned, it will conform to the account’s selected language.

Source: I bought SMO off the Japanese eshop and it plays just like a copy from NA on my NA account.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Guy Goodbody posted:

We're dual-wielding some new Blades today!

What the hell happened to Elsa? :stare:

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

andipossess posted:

And I was super sensitive to the Dpad issues on my first pro controller.

Still anecdotal evidence, but mine also feels like it’s getting the right inputs when compared to a launch window Pro.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Arcade Archives VS Super Mario Bros next week.

Give me VS Dr. Mario or give me death.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Enter the Gungeon is another game that does HD rumble really well. It’s subtle to the point it’s almost subconscious, but it’s there. Understated rumble, because so much is going on that to have anything be more intense, the joycon would be rumbling intensely almost constantly.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

The Moon Monster posted:

Any good roguelikes/lites on this system? Aside from Isaac and Has Been Heroes?

Enter the Gungeon is another roguelite. I love it but other people are not as hot on it; just read up before pulling the trigger.

Conner is supposedly a pretty good roguelite and is on sale right now in NA.

There’s also Yodanji, which bills itself as as “coffee-break roguelike”. It’s cute, if a bit simple, from what I’ve played but you could do worse for five dollars.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Edit: Nevermind, checked Twitter and the dev claims that Tiny Metal, the Advance Wars style game, will still be coming out on the 21st.

Tempura Wizard fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Dec 19, 2017

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

A Spider Covets posted:

Anyone play Spatoon 2? I've been trying the PVE mode with the salmonids and so far it's pretty miserable. People ignoring team-mates constantly or just running enemies into each other in a panic to get the golden eggs. I'm not sure I really see the point, especially when PVP is so fun.

Salmon Run is great but at the lower difficulty levels you’re probably getting paired up with literal children.

Group up with goons or friends or stick with it and get to Profreshional where the pubbie players are generally more competent.

Unless you’re already at Profreshional, in which case, I’m sorry.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

LionArcher posted:

Okay thread. Is sonic worth it?

Mania, yes.

Forces, noooooooo.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Someone mentioned Challenges but I really hope Tiny Metal has some sort of War Room equivalent.

Because of War Room you could have basically glued AW & AW2 into my GBA and I wouldn’t have known the difference.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Tiny Metal is good, but...

I think the bigger issue with Tiny Metal than the text size is just how difficult it is to parse the map status at a glance when compared to Advance Wars. I realize that AW had to make these design decisions as it was played on a lower resolution screen that’s not backlit, but when the primary two armies at the start of the game are yellow and green when the primary colors for terrain are yellow and green, it makes it hard to read health bars and tell exactly what kind of unit is where without moving the cursor over it. Also many of the infantry units and ranged units look similar.

As mentioned there’s the battle animations, which can be turned off; the problem with this is that when it is turned off, it gives little indication of what battles occurred unless a unit is critically hit or destroyed.

I like it, and it’s a mechanically sound game, and very much scratches the AW itch, there are just some QOL issues which hopefully can be improved with the multiplayer patch.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

iajanus posted:

See now I'm even more confused what's going on with the wifi in this hotel. I left my switch connected to it overnight in sleep mode and it at some point decided to stop arbitrarily being paused and it fully downloaded my new game (and some more updates). Interesting, and yay a new game to play!

Did you perhaps close a game that was running? I’ve noticed some games (Rocket League, Splatoon) Will pause any downloads while using online components.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
I am going to get Celeste and play it on the train. The Switch is a Good System.

• Locked thread