Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Zelder posted:

Have you played that battle mode? It's loving sick

I agree with your post but I'm still angry at lack of Elimination :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Ok I picked a Switch up for the second time after being one of the few who didn't fall in love with Zelda. I'm starting a new job with lots of downtime and the Switch is a lot more appealing as a work handheld with MK8 than it was as a console.

Skype meetings is my primary mode of Switch play -- I'd love to buy ARMS or Splatoon but I realize I never play while I'm at home or near the internet. Just when I get roped into something that I need to pay just enough attention to to make sure somebody doesn't make a statement that derails everything.

Which is quite a lot.

I've been enjoying Isaac and Puyo Puyo Tetris and other grab-'em-and-drop-'em games quite a lot. 'cause they're portable.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I marathonned the original Rabids Wii game and had a good time then didn't hear or see anything of the franchise since, so I'm actually fairly excited about Mario XCOM with Rabbids.

Also I woke up too early this morning so I decided to play some Cave Story from bed but then I beat that and didn't want to start another run-through so I bought Mighty Gunvolt Burst from bed then played a bit of that.

The Switch might be Good.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

iajanus posted:

I can wake my switch up from sleep with the pro controller which turns my TV and media player on but there's nothing on the screen from the switch; when I give the switch a minute so it turns off and then press the button again it is on the screen and all working correctly. Still not sure why.

In my very limited experience with using the dock (Portable4Life), I'd press Home once and wait for it to vibrate to wake up the system, then press Home once more after that to cause the screen to actually turn on.

I was under the impression that the first press just took the systems out of hibernate and established a Bluetooth connection (I don't have one of those fancy turning-on TVs), and pressing it again once connected was to send the Ready To Go signal.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I've actually found it's more sucessful if you press home then wait for the lights to stop flashing either successfully (when it vibrates and a light stays on) or it gives up on the attempt (the lights stop flashing). After that you may need to press home one more time to actually get the system to output video and whatnot.

Holding home was less successful to the point that I superstitiously avoid it at this point.

If only there were some scientific way to disprove my worries. Ah well, back to portable mode.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Downloading the heck out of that even though I don't own and may never buy Blaster Master Zero.

It's kinda weird that they allow you to do that, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna miss out on free stuff.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Has there been any indication of a Hollow Knight release date? The game looks cool and I've resisted steam sales for it because I'd like it on Switch but it still seems nebulous from what I can find.

I keep checking http://teamcherry.com.au/ but they've not set anything firm, as is wise. They did convey that it was their next main focus after the recent patch came out, and that came out a week or so ago, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's a concrete date by the end of the month.

I also get the impression that they're puttin' in a legitimate effort to secure a physical release. Which is just (bitter) icing on the cake (is worse than ice cream).

Dr Cheeto posted:

The Switch is the perfect console for the entire Jackbox series

I don't even have friends but I find the YDKJ trivia game delightful and that's just two days before I go to a birthday bar crawl. Gonna bring an external speaker and hope people have charged phones.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Switch does not get convention-floor loud so I'm guessing it doesn't get rowdy bar loud.

Also I already have a portable bluetooth speaker. And an 1/8" audio cable.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

JackDarko posted:

Is Overcooked on the Nintendo Switch good now? Me and my girlfriend want to play it, but I don't want to buy the game if it's basically unplayable.

Let me know how the performance is if you get this. I've got a couple of birthday parties going on this weekend and was thinking about picking it up, then saw some concerning reviews about the FPS online but can't tell if they're bellyaching (about something that really shouldn't be happening; lazy ports make me sad) or if it's legitimately disruptive.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Are both jackboxes worth it if I already have the third one?

RCarr posted:

I've never played a JackBox game before. Should I get #1 or #2? Both? Neither?

I seem to be in the minority here but I find the goofy trivia of You Don't Know Jack 2015 (in Party Pack #1) to be the most compelling component. Give a Let's Play video of it a try and you should be able to tell if it's for you.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Oh hey, if you already own one of the Jackboxes on the Switch then the other ones are 20% off.

Keen since I was gonna buy #1 anyway.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

RCarr posted:

Are the Jackbox games fun for 2 people or do you need a bunch of people to enjoy it?

The only one that's any good 2-player is Jackbox 1's You Don't Know Jack 2015. Not sure if it's $25-by-itself good, but watch a let's play of any-old-round of it and you'll be able to tell if it's for you pretty quickly.

It actually is worth it for me as a now-portable entertainment option for when I visit various relatives.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Holy hell, I just noticed that when walking around between fights in Mario XCOM the music seamlessly transitions between different instrument sets/harmonies depending on the nature of the landscape you're on.

Rabbid Ubisoft Guy done good.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'm still bummed that physical games don't come with paper manuals, and that Switch games don't even come with the digital manuals that all 3DS games have. It just seems silly to hold onto Switch game cases that have nothing more than tiny ROM cards in them. I guess some of the art is cool, but it's not really redeeming.

It's not the case with all physical games but it seems like brick-and-mortar stores are doing a lot to incentivize me to shop from them instead of Amazon for my physical Switch games:
  • Mario Kart had a Rubik's Cube (Target)
  • Mario XCom had a DLC weapon pack I'll never cache in at Best Buy (it was a gift) and I think a little pop gun a Target.
  • Puyo Puyo Tetris came with two cool keychains and some stickers.
  • Binding of Isaac came with a small instruction manual and some stickers.
  • Cave Story came with a top notch instruction manual / art book / cheat sheet (still tiny but very satisfying), one of three keychains that were less dapper than Puyo Tetris', and a mini-disc soundtrack.
There may have been more pre-order/pack-in/instruction manual releases that I'm forgetting but the tradition hasn't been abandoned completely.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Stan Taylor posted:

i was watching the giant bomb Picross video when i noticed that the joy con icons on the ui match tbe color of the actual joy con, at least in the controller pairing screen. :kimchi:

I would be rad to get a set of different colors and have them match up with player icons like you could do with the n64 colors of you were rich and didn't have one gray and one translucent purple like a normal kid.

The Switch homebrew scene has decoded the JoyCons pretty well at this point -- it turns out that the color to be displayed is stored on rewritable JoyCon software and it's not too hard to set it to whatever you want.

Check out Joy-Con Toolkit if you really wanna get artistic and magical.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I know Isaac is old news but I've been playing again since the content patch and I just randomly decided to try the Ultra Hard challenge for the first time. Fought one or two rooms then looked up the ruleset: no healing hearts, double bosses, all champion monsters, wow that's crazy unfair and I'm never going to grind an early combination of useful items so I'll just die off then never do that challenge again.

The first two items I found were Card Mimic and Two of Hearts, meaning I had a reusable source of healing. Meaning I had to beat it on this first attempt or I was never going to beat it at all.

I have not been that stressed over a video game in a while.

I'm glad I pulled it off; it's unbecoming to curse at work.

PantsBandit posted:

I mean, it's tiny for a AAA game. I realize that Nintendo games aren't using absurdly high-res textures or anything but still from what I've seen of odyssey fitting it in 5 gigs is incredible.

It's mildly nauseating how commonly accepted software bloat is.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lakbay posted:

It was a certain time period you needed to preorder too so it might have passed

While the original promotion suggested it had to be within a certain time period, that's no longer the case: I just preordered a copy from bestbuy.com and it was pretty explicit that it'd come with the coin (a $20 value!).

I'm going to need a new shelf for all these preorder novelties.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I was trying to trick myself into thinking Hollow Knight might come out by Halloween, but that seems unlikely. From Team Cherry:

"PAX Australia begins in Melbourne on the 27th of this Month, just one day after Grimm’s big debut. Team Cherry won’t be showing Hollow Knight at the Con (We’re holding off till we can show everyone the Switch version!)[...]"

Means it at least won't be ready by Mario Day :gbsmith:

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Kaewan posted:

Has anyone bought In the Flame and Flood? It looks interesting but the reviews seem a bit lackluster. I'm hoping it will scratch that survival itch til they port Don't Starve.

I did. It's aesthetically pleasing but a bit lackluster.

The core gameplay loop is too simple such that I don't really feel like there are many meaningful decisions to make. The best path forward in any given situation is kinda obvious and in fact there are rarely alternatives.

If it were $5 I'd say heck yeah, and if it were $10 then I'd say it's cheaper than the movies for a few hours' entertainment. At $15 I don't regret my purchase because I enjoy supporting smaller devs and studying game design but I wouldn't recommend it to others. Don't Starve was flawed but at least I didn't run out of stuff to do before I lost interest in it.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Just found out the Best Buy that I preordered from is doing a 9:01PM (Pacific) launch for Mario.

My plan for getting out of bed on time on Friday morning has been ruined.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

lelandjs posted:

GBATemp being a sanctioned Nintendo reviewer is kinda :psyduck: to me.

Haha, what? They do realize that's where all the hacks come from, right?

Speaking of, gotta print me a wedding dress amiibo in preparation.

Hi, Tim!

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I was patching my system 'cause I thought I could further disable motion controls according to hearsay (lies) and I decided to check the news since I rarely have my system online.

The news told me that Shovel Knight was on sale.

Mario Day is a good day.

rear end posted:

I'm at my wit's end with this console. I've been getting a NAT type of F and I can't play online at all. I can access the e-store, I can download games, I can do everything except play online.

I did everything people on the internet said, port forwarding, DMZ, assigned a static internal IP for the Switch. Hell I'm even paying for a static IP address now. What else could be possibly the problem?

This is a real long shot but do you happen to have two routers?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

That video does restore some of my faith in the stupid things I've been trying to do so far with limited payoff.

I've completed a few puzzles without realizing they were trying to introduce a new mechanic due to my stupid-jumperry, and five out of the first ten minutes I spent with the game were trying to fly by jumping, throwing a hat, jump-diving, hat-jumping, throwing a hat, and jump-diving.

I was somewhat disappointed when I decided that they make the hat disappear before you can jump off it the second time. I wanted my makeshift wing cap.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Does anybody know how to make Mario fall from a ledge he's holding without using motion controls?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

You have to be holding Y

Nah, you just have to get there fast enough. I do the midair dive bounce all the time and until this discussion I forgot you could hold Y to extend throws.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Al Borland Corp. posted:

No you don't hold y to extend the throw, you press z and y to dive, you have to hold y when you dive or you won't bounce.

Yeah, I realized that after I'd posted: turns out I just have slow fingers. Probably has something to do with mostly playing post-alarm-clock pre-verticality.

Mahoning posted:

Press "down" on the left stick. The reason I say "down" and not down is because it of course all depends on where the camera is at the time.

Ah, thanks. I'd been pressing down-down enough times that I assumed it wasn't the right button.

My only gripe with this game, which is pretty minor but stands out after the respectfulness of Zelda, is how heavy-handed they are with tutorializing you. I don't need to see the same cutscene every time I improve my ship and while you can press + a few times to skip a few of the cutscenes, they're going to try to tell you about a move you've already been using every time you change worlds. That's after the three or so dudes bringing up the action list, and the dozen videos showing how to shake controllers I'm not even holding separate from the console and have no intention to shake!

I know a lot of the delight in the game comes from its childlike sense of wonder (and Mario's babyfaced expressions) but it'd be nice if they also treated us like adults. Especially given their demographic statistics.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

MZ posted:

It's sad to think that a lot of people will burn through the mainline game of Mario Odyssey with minimal moons, beat Bowser and go "well, that was that game".

At least they'll have gotten to hear The Good Song by that point.

In fact, I was a bit pissed that they said I could now set the song in level-select then immediately sent me to a level requiring 32 moons to leave!

I wanna listen to The Good Song!

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Snake Maze posted:

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about (the stuff immediately after the credits), then you can change the music at anytime from the map, and you can leave mushroom kingdom whenever you want by throwing your hat on the globe

Yeah, I realized the music thing shortly after I posted. I'd stopped playing for a bit just after arriving.

I also have no desire to leave the Mushroom Kingdom, as that place is a delight.

Though I'm a little concerned at how many stars they have to sell. I hadn't been spending too much money most of the game then I dropped 2K on stars and they still have more for sale.

Game knows how to treat me right. Except with still having tutorial signs with tiny videos in the post-game. I've figured out how to dive jump by now.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

irlZaphod posted:

Rock 'N' Racing Off-Road DX - $7.99 / £7.19 / €7.99
Digital - [NA] [EU]
Rock'N Racing Off Road DX offers the most entertaining and exciting races, with loads of skids, crashes and amazing jumps. You will have several modes of play, such as Cup mode, time trial and multi-player with the option of up to 4 Players at a time. Online ranking table where you can compare your best times with friends and players from around the world.

I read that as Rock 'n' Roll Racing Blah Blah DX and my heart skipped a beat. Why you gotta do that to me, Nintendo?

On the positive side, huge important unannounced Mario feature: If you press Y to pick a random outfit at the closet it will re-randomize every time you die. Makes the tricky sections much more enjoyable.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I was going to go out and buy DOOM, which I have not yet played, but this practically-mandatory update ordeal has left a sour taste in my mouth. Instead I think I'll:

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I guess there is a big free expansion for Has Been Heroes:
http://nintendoeverything.com/has-been-heroes-receives-a-major-expansion/

I don't know anything about this game.

Sweet. That game held my attention more tightly than Zelda until it stopped getting more difficult. I'd always said it was too easy, and now they have a challenge mode.

Time to update my Switch. And not for DOOM.

(Has Been Heroes isn't for everyone but check out a few videos. If you're one of the people who likes it then you're really gonna like it. It helps that I haven't played in so long I don't remember how it works.)

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

While I was patching up to get the sweet, sweet Has Been Heroes content, I noticed that Golf Story received a patch.

They don't have notes, but at least one person has verified that a crippling bug has been fixed. So if you're bugged out, patch up.

I have not felt overwhelmed with games I want to play in a long time. Maybe it's that I skipped multiple generations, but I feel like Nintendo did me a solid this time around.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I for one am looking forward to paying $60 for a game that I played for maybe a week six years ago.

And also my girlfriend has never played a Bethesda game. And also I'm traveling next week. And also I need something to make me put Has Been Heroes back down.

That or Isaac may end up being my Switch MVP in terms of time played. At least until Darkest/Gungeon come out. And maybe Necrodancer.

I don't think I've ever had a system that had too many games I want to play on it. Hollow Knight whee?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I'm a dumb-dumb who doesn't understand Amazon. Does that mean it's gonna have a physical release?

I'm down to pay $30 twice for two copies of Octopath that I can't play simultaneously. It's an RPG. And a visually-enticing one, at that.

Why yes, I did grow up in the '90s. Why do you ask?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Fun Times! posted:

Sorry if I missed a bunch of posts, but how is Skryim in handheld mode? Is the UI readable and distant enemies easy enough to target with magic and arrows? Also, is the game any more or less buggy than an unmodded PC Special Edition?

It's been six years since I've played it, but Skyrim is a different beast on a console. I turned the motion controls off after attempting them for 30 seconds, but that's 30 seconds more than I usually give motion controls. I haven't had trouble reading things or seeing far off dudes, and I am yet again playing a sneaky bowman. Actually to keep it fresh I still use the bow at melee range, which gets a bit frantic.

Joystick is inferior to mouse but in a way that I think will extend my enjoyment of the game. I'm looting way less than I recall and actually staying on the paths since it's a bit harder to forcibly jump up every mountain.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I can't figure out how to open the map other than opening a specific quest. Also not sure how to Sprint

I think the B button by default brings up the in-game menu, which includes Map. But you should swap it for the X button, jump.

L is sprint. But you should swap that with A activate/take: it's much easier to harvest resources if you don't have to take your right thumb off the joystick. And I don't tend to do all that much sprinting.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

GreenNight posted:

Not enough video game soundtracks are on vinyl.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Rayman Legends is sold out at Best Buy, but not yet at Walmart.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Uh... huh.

I keep wanting to like this game since the original Xenoblade Chronicles was a breath of the freshest air, but I just can't get behind everything I see/hear about it. The pacing of all of that dialogue felt off, felt bored. Like nobody had their lines memorized so they were just reading off paper but they knew they already had the job and couldn't be fired.

Which is particularly concerning because I've got a strong itch for a portable JRPG and Octopath isn't out yet. I hope the game is secretly super self-aware of its tropiness and they've just been playing it really straight for the promos. But hope may be too generous a word.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I couldn't get into AssCreed Egypt so I'm trading it in today for another Switch game. I'm really feeling wanting to play an RPG of some kind, and I'm sort of heading towards Skyrim. I played it when it came out to what I think was like halfway and never beat it for some reason. Is the Switch version pretty cool or does the game feel horribly dated now? Also, can I play the game as a rogue/alchemist/poisons build or is it pretty much required to sword and board/brute strength my way through?

I was in a similar position -- played Skyrim on launch for maybe two weeks, at which point Bethesda games stop becoming compelling, then put it down until the Switch version dropped.

It was fun to revisit and the included DLCs added a decent bit of interest that I naturally drifted toward. Also, Bethesda games have conflicting design principles: as even an amateur min-maxxer I'm compelled to steal everything in sight and sell it, but the game really shines when you don't fast travel to your objectives which means only holding what you can carry but also going off on unexpected tangents.

And yes, rogue-alchemist-poison archer is supremely baller. Probably stronger than sword and board. But also more fun on a console: a few of the built-in mechanics are trivialized by perfect mouse-aim.

It's been two weeks and I just last night lost interest in the game but it was totally worth my while. And I bought physical, so I can give it to someone else.

njsykora posted:

It's the Gamecube version or a port of HD, Link's holding Epona's reigns in his right hand in one of those shots and he holds them in his left in the Wii version. Yes I'm sad for knowing this poo poo.

Be happy: Link is left-handed in all of the games up to Gamecube Twilight Princess, but he's right handed in the Wii version.

They figured most people would waggle with their right hand but would find it confusing if them waggling their right hand in real life caused Link to waggle his left hand in the game.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Overcooked, Snipperclips, Jackbox # (look into them; I like the trivia from #1 the best but there are a whole range of games that suit a whole range of people).

Heck, you could get by just fine with the free demo of Puyo Puyo Tetris. I think I did that for a good month before I bought it.

The Switch is a good party game system.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ninty makin' moves on my wallet this morning.

Chernabog posted:

I couldn't get much into Gungeon, I prefer BoI's slower pace and crazy combos.
Despite a lot of backlash against Has Been Heroes I got it while it was on sale and I have to say I do like it. My only complaint is that the battles are too long.

HBH's free expansion addresses that somewhat, though it makes more sense to play through the normal game until you've unlocked all the chapters first.

The challenges they added unlock young versions of champions that can go through portals that randomly spawn midgame which just warp you to a final boss level that's loaded with treasure.

It does a good job of getting the end-game experience without the time investment, though it'd feel like cheating if I weren't already confident in my abilities to get to the end game the old fashioned way the majority of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Infinitum posted:

Why isn't Slime-san more popular? Free DLC expansion!

I played the demo a bit recently and it was a little too ADD for my tastes, but the time-slow mechanic was really clever from a game-design perspective. It lets one control the difficulty on the fly without feeling like cheating but the actual timer (which continues at real time) provides an incentive for those who wish to challenge themselves.

Also too many other games that are precisely up my alley. I suspect I'm lookin' at you, Gungeon.

• Locked thread