Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I've got a Switch coming to me in a couple days, and I'm looking at Puyo Puyo Tetris, Mario Odyssey, MK8 and Octopath Traveler as titles to get. Is there going to be a physical release of Hollow Knight? I'm dying to play that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

punk rebel ecks posted:

Square-Enix tends to make lovely games, but occasionally releases a really good new IP that they never make into a franchise.

First was The World Ends With You.

Then there was The Last Remnant

Bravely Default got a sequel but that's it.

Now it's Octopath.

The Last Remnant is super underrated and got totally ignored. It's super cheap on PC now.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Eiba posted:

What's the second ending?

Because the quest as posted is doing a good job putting me off Octopath in general. As much because it's a reminder of how little choice there is in JRPGs in general as the actual plot. The stories I played in the demo, while not very interactive, were pretty cozy, so being subjected to gross stuff like that later would really ruin the feel of the game to me.

Video games are neither political statements, nor are they real.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Eiba posted:

Well that's good to hear. I'll probably pick it up when my library gets a copy in. Everything else about the game seemed very charming.

What?

All media is implicitly political... but forget implicitly, how do you read that little story and not see anything overtly political? And I think I was clear that my issue was I wanted Octopath to be comfy, and the expressed politics were not comfy to me. If you only care about things that are real, how can you have feelings about stories at all?

I hope I'm actually addressing what you mean, because I'm having a hard time understanding where you're coming from.

It's media for children. Don't take it that seriously. Video games and the things that happen in them are not political statements. It's just a story.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Is there a separate thread for modding, or can I talk about it here? I just ordered an atomic purple shell and I am absolutely stoked to have the true Large Adult Gameboy experience

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

If you're talking about physical mods knock yourself out. If you are talking about software mods, I will shout "MODS!?"

Physical mods. I can unscrew a thing with little difficulty, I don't trust myself to do software things. I've heard getting the Joycons apart can be a pain, has anyone tried it?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Is there a general consensus on which are the best screen protectors? And what's the best thing to clean the screen with to get any oil/dust/whatever off of it before applying the protector? Is plain water and a microfiber cloth safe?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Okamiden to this day still annoys the hell out of me. It basically adds nothing of it's own to the story and actively hurts it by retconning a few things. To the point that it's clear that whoever wrote the script didn't pay a iota of attention to all the end game stuff of 1.

It felt like a game made only so capcom could sell merch of Chibi.

That puppy cute tho

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Dead Cells, Cave Story+, Hollow Knight, and Puyo Puyo Tetris are all in my current rotation.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I have enough Amazon credit to get a game. I've narrowed it down to Shantae, Sonic Mania or Owlboy. Is the Switch port of Owlboy any good? I never played the PC but I've always wanted to. I've heard it's somewhere between "pretty good" and "alright"

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Watch_Dogs, a game in which you watch (and pet) dogs

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
In SaGa tradition, you play two twins racing to gather power in order to duel and subsequently devour the loser

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Monopath :getin:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I want Breath of Fire 5 on switch goddamnit

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

SeANMcBAY posted:

It did and it makes the game unplayable if you played any other version. The DS version is the definitive one.

In the event that someone does play the DS version, ignore any of the extra content they provided. It looks and is written like a fan game, provides some very unnecessary links to Chrono Cross and if you're a fan of the original CT it will upset you.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
How likely is the physical version of Undertale to sell out immediately? I want it but I don't need to spend more on this thing right now.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Who cares? If you want to preorder the game and you have the money, do it. You don't have to justify it to anybody except your spouse or whatever

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I bought BotW digital on Wii U because I didn't have interest in the Switch at the time. Now I have no reason to keep my Wii U except to play Wii games and BotW, and if I want to play BotW on my Switch I have to buy it again.

I'm okay with the minor inconvenience of having to trade out game cards if it means I can at least recoup some cost.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Looper posted:

there's a 100% an aural reaction when you take a hit

The damage non-sound in HK is great because it perfectly mimics the actual stunned feeling of getting loving whacked in the head

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

I have successfully performed Switch surgery.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Mister Facetious posted:

That's what the Pro controller is for.

Please tell me where you ordered the shells, as I'm going to give serious thought about attempting to make mine Atomic Purple™ too.

I got this one. They have a couple of different bundles, including ones with a legit d-pad. I also used this toolkit. It works for anything Nintendo. I do kinda wish I had gotten the real d-pad, but I like the buttons for multiplayer, and they work better for things like Puyo Puyo Tetris, which is my main game. They don't have bundles for watermelon red or for the clear ones for some reason. It ships with colored buttons, but I left the black ones in for the purple.

The plastic feels a little heftier and more rigid than the original, but it feels really good. The Nintendo plastic feels like it has a little more give to it and almost feels cheaper, but I think it would absorb shock a little better than this. I'd be afraid of the aftermarket plastic getting cracked, but it feels solid.

Heath fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Aug 24, 2018

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I hope they port the last Paper Mario game, because I've always wanted to play it but I'm not gonna spend that much money on a Wii U game.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Code of Princess looks awful. Is it?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Do you think Pixel or whatever he goes by now signs off on all the things the Cave Story characters get shoved into, or do Nicalis just basically own them now?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Is a pirated Amiibo just a figurine?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I do wish I could've gotten Slime San in physical. That game is adorable.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

dantheman650 posted:

I’ve put in about 30 runs in Dead Cells and have made it to the bridge boss once (I am super bad at games) and it’s just not clicking for me. I hate having to do the beginning zombie area every time - it’s trivially easy and boring and makes each death feel like a super slog since I know I need to go back there. Is this game just not for me?

On a similar note, I’m an hour and a half into Okami and feel like I won’t be able to get into it. The camera feels super wonky, the combat is a bit one-note, and not being able to hit A to speed up the text is obnoxious. Should I stick with it? When does it really get good?

Dead Cells picks up quickly after you start investing in some of the starter upgrades. You should shoot for a second potion and the random starter sword, bow and shield upgrades as early as possible. You're not supposed to be in the first part of the dungeon for very long. Ideally you should shoot through it and get to the first time lock door as quickly as possible, because that nets you a ton of cells for upgrades. The idea behind the game is to see just how fast you can get through areas, and having a big pool of random starter weapons makes that process a lot quicker.

Okami is a slow burn. It's long as poo poo and there isn't a point where it really "gets good." Take some time, run around like a dog, talk to people and enjoy the world. If you're not down with that concept, it may not be for you. Okami is, at its heart, a Zelda game.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Cojawfee posted:

I'm in the second area of Hollow Knight now. I didn't realize there were more colorful areas. Everything I saw about this game was in the boring colorless first area. I was enjoying the game but kind of bummed because it's a bit ugly, but I'm starting to like it now. The deaths and the slog to get back to my spirit is a bit annoying though. I had no idea where to go after the first boss because I thought an item I got was supposed to go with an area I found. But I couldn't get the game to do anything. Then I remembered an enemy I couldn't get past before. I feel like it could do with a little bit of signposting to push me in the right direction at the start.

It's crazy to read this because I 100% had this experience. I had to stop in the middle of it and go play Puyo Tetris for a while just to see some color. It gets much prettier. It's almost always very dark, but the colors pop more when you do see them.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I played XBC1 about four times before it finally clicked, enjoyed it thoroughly up until I got to Mechonis, and then promptly lost all interest when the open and colorful world turned grey and linear, or at least much more restricted in movement. Never finished it after that.

I tried playing XBCX and got extremely turned off by how much more desperately anime it was and the instant they introduced the 12 year old girl who is actually a mechanical genius I returned the game and never looked back.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Melty Blood: Doh it Again

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I'm so drat stoked for Phantasy Star 1 with an automap. If they release the first four with some quality of life upgrades I will be in heaven.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
How would you use a GameCube controller on a Switch?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I didn't realize that was a thing. Neat.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It's probably somehow better margins to sell a new one than repair a broken one

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I'm really hoping for a port of the Wii version of Chocobo's Dungeon because it's a fantastic little mystery dungeon game with great remixes of songs from all the mainline games and it absolutely deserves to be mobile.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Ys games are usually kinda short, do I want to pay 60 bucks for that?

Ys 8 is long as gently caress. It's the longest one by far.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I think we can all agree that Pandora's Tower, The Last Story and XBC could all use switch ports. Operation Rainfall II.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Nitrile gloves, baby

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I'm a goon, when aren't I sweating?

This is probably the best option, but the prune hands are probably going to be brutal

And your hands will smell worse than your feet, but at least you'll be entertained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I think SoR4 looks fine and I will probably play it for an hour or two.

It does bother me that Axel looks 20 years older but Blaze looks the same.

• Locked thread