Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Into the Breach owns And handheld is the best way to play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

man i really wanted to like into the breach but idk, its just not grabbing me like advance wars or fft did back in the day

I love advance wars. But I felt when you got to harder missions there was 1 strategy. To the point where I remember looking up a turn by turn guide to beat the last level of on game that was "move your artillary to here and shoot this"

The randomness here and variety keeps me engaged.

I would preorder a new advance war though no loving doubt.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

THE loving MOON posted:

I'm gonna get around to that as soon as I clean my plate a little bit. I've never played the original Zelda

Zelda 1 came with a map so you could take it to school and mark down secrets on your map.woth friends.

Almost every screen has a secret.

I think it's fun if you look up a secrets map!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I paid $20 to play ice hockey.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Is there a release date for dqxi? I'd much rather play on handheld

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

My biggest problem was for all the tools they gave you. Sprinting to the end with a scout ignoring enemies was how to S levels. And that rank being tied to XP was the real problem. If there was no mechanical incentive I could ignore it.

While round speed is still your rank This one has more things to stop you from doing that. Like the demo objective requiring snipers to complete.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Sam Faust posted:

So, I haven't played the VC4 demo yet, although it may not answer this question, but is it the kind of game that has permanent progress or choices? Like in Fire Emblem games where characters can die or miss out on exp and you can't necessarily redo levels or grind to fix it. Stuff like that isn't really my cup of tea.

You chose what class to level, everyone in that class advances. If you use individuals a lot they get a special side mission that make their negative personal traits better.

So theres a good balance of new people being usable right away and using people makes them better. Does have that game thing where now that you leveled someone completely you want to swap them out for someone new. (Rachet and clank weapon problem).

There was permidewth, I think its here? But you have time in battle to save people and if a plot person main character dies you fail the mission.

Its 100 time less hardcore than fire emblem.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Licarn posted:

I thought maybe it wasn't as bad as they made it sound but given how all the comments on the article are "actually, sexism in games is good", the game must be beyond defense. Oh well.

Those comments are as reactionary as the article.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Nm. This derail can go anywhere good

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Sep 26, 2018

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

My valkyria 1 playstyle is to play however I want regardless of xp and to know I will grind skirmishes for 15 minutes every few levels. I dont like the stress of trying to get S (let alone just using scout rush) so I pay for that with some light grinding.

It's not perfect but this game os so unique that I put up with it. I'd love a mgsv ranking where you can S rank any playstyle as long as you do it well.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm just going by what I saw in the Demo. It seemed that even a simple skirmish took a bit of time to move and engage enemies, but maybe there are things that open up later that make them faster.

I did the demo skirmish in 1 turn?!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Fancy Hat! posted:

That's all in here! Also there will be DLC with extremely hard missions and a quest that has you meeting the cast from VC1 and adding them to your party.

:unsmith:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Does Valkyrie Chronicles 4 have a demo and is it representative? Tactics games are among my favorites. I can't get enough of Into the Breach at the moment.

Demo is the first few tutorial missions so it IS the game

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Octopath is a game that I lied to myself to get through.

I didn't really care for the music and all the fights boiled down to leghold trap/envenom/shackle foe. The stories are all kind of boring and while they do have a hidden plot connection they don't do a single interesting thing with it other than provide a super boss that requires a disgusting amount of grinding to fight properly. Not to mention how the dungeons are all ultra simple hallways at best with 0 puzzles involved. You either go the obvious route or the guaranteed dead end for a chest with (usually) bad equipment in it or a potion.
Hell even the path actions are half baked like H'annit's challenge where you'll never want to use it because it's implemented so poorly. Or Therion who on the other hand is the only one able to open purple chests which are the only ones usually worth a drat so you never want to be without him.

It's a game where I loved the mechanics and premise and a lot of the art looks really good but boy is it a game I'll never play again. It hit at the perfect time where I was starved enough for a jrpg but now that I have DQ it just feels like a joke.

E: Also I feel like the job system itself was mishandled here which is bizarre considering BD/BS. Every subjob seemed to be best on the characters foil which made customizing pretty strict until you get the 4 super jobs- which then were only really good on a certain character anyway. I spent the game with my black mage acting as a white as well, white mage acting as a black mage.
Merchant and Thief, Thief and Merchant etc.

I disagree with just about everything in here. Excpet Therion should be your main because chests. Jobs in particular. Your merchant is the strongest sorcerer in the game fyi.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The Bloop posted:

Nah

Everyone is going to have their favorites. I'd easily put the scholar at the bottom, for instance.

Also, Locke Therion was always in my party despite not being my main. He became the sorcerer supreme

She objectively gets worse as the game goes on. Monster damage drops off and it's a grind to get good pokemon if you want to use her.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Barudak posted:

Yep. Also her job is basically a one trick wonder with leghold trap and unlike Olberic doesnt have the stats to back up a terrible battle action and awful path action. Also since her path action lets you fight enemies above your level in a one on one duel shes not that great since to get the benefits of that you need to either grind items or her gently caress awful monsters and if youre putting in time for that why arent you just leveling and then using Olberic?

Leghold is secretly the best skill in the game. But it's still way better to put hunter on somebody than to use her. Olberic hunter!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The Bloop posted:

Monsters even stay good if what you are using her for is doing multiple attacks to break defense rather than relying on her for maximum damage output

Yeah, but later you have better more consistantly break options and monsters become terrible and grindy.

Shes fine at the start but objectively falls off while other characters improve or ar least stay static.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Not a lot of people remember that Goldeneye 64 had the first twin-stick control scheme, which required using two N64 controllers at once. I never tried that, I should have.

I have emulated it and mapped the 2 controllers to a single 360. It still doesnt feel good at all but because of acceleration and other things that took years to iron out.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Is smash going to have dlc?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Cube controller with a proper right analog stick (maybe a left bumper too) is my ideal controller. If a 3rd party one exists tell me. I will use it on everything

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

repiv posted:

PDP has announced exactly that, a Gamecube-like controller with swappable right stick caps to either match the original C-Stick or the original left stick. It also adds an extra bumper and home/screenshot/+/- buttons for the Switch.

https://www.pdp.com/blog/?p=855

No idea if their stuff is good quality though.

Bookmarked. Awesome. Look forward to reviews. Perfect timing for smash

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

https://youtu.be/STFYnJEu0m4
https://youtu.be/kHBTYGzkpDM

For those of you scared of VC4s scout rush and time limits. Let me assuage your concerns. Here are 2 or the skirmishes (side battles for grinding) and how fast you can beat them. Even 1 run in these battles will make up for getting C or D rank in the multiple of the main missions. And just in general if you want to level up they are great.

So you CAN play the game slow and methodically and now rush. The time tax for that is under 5 minutes in between battles. I made these videos as soon as I unlocked the levels. The first ones that unlock give ~5k so and can be scout rushed in 1 turn. They are a lot simpler but I'll do a run if anyone wants it.

Ps4 version but should be the same.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Barudak posted:

Be warned, the game still pulls the same surprise enemy deployments in the middle of your formation got yas its predecessors did so expect to replay some missions until you know the triggers

Yeah it feels "unfair" that you probably wont A rank some missions first try through no fault of your own. And I still dont like that rank being tied to xp, but it's real minimal to make up that mechanical loss and that's good.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Barudak posted:

Its not an A rank thing, its beating the mission at all. One mission gives you three deployment zones to pick from and only after youve started the mission does it reveal the boss spawns next to one of them and he gets to go first.

Yeah he wiped my guys there. But then I killed the tank in 1 turn :shrug: A ranked that first try even with them being downed

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Barudak posted:

How did you enjoy the train mission?

Im glad you got lucky on that tank boss but thats an unacceptable design in a strategy game, and even stupider in one with permadeath

None of them permadeathed

It forced your antitank grenade to start in a safe spot where it can kill the boss tank round 1. Hafen can kill the other 2 tanks. Your main base is the the one that gets wiped so you HAVE to move a guy there to rescue your downed people.

It's actually good design for a "oh poo poo" moment when a boss appears.

If you but your extra CP characters there I could see it being annoying. But still. Nothing to do with "getting lucky"

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 29, 2018

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Leal posted:

Using a rank 3 anti tank mortar shell and blowing all 3 rounds on the tank, and yes hitting the radiator, barely brought the guy to half health. Something doesn't seem right here.

Not only that but he is (so far, out of 9 chapters) the only guy who can actively fire machine guns while moving. So he doesn't even need to stop and use his one shot per action to kill your guys, he just casually drives by them and murders them.

Somethings up. Hitting the radiator should do half health damage...is your grenade class underleveled? Leveling all classes equally I've killed the tank in 2 hits (doesnt always hit) every time it has shown up. It hasnt survived a round

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Barudak posted:

How did you enjoy the train mission?

Im glad you got lucky on that tank boss but thats an unacceptable design in a strategy game, and even stupider in one with permadeath

Just did train mission. 5 turns A, first try. Dont know what to tell you.

So both your unacceptable design missions got aced. Feels like they are well designed to lose some people to surprises and still win with no permedeath.

I can get behind the quality of life changes in them cut scenes though. gently caress that.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Lodin posted:

It's been mentioned before, but each time you use a scroll the enemies get tougher. At some point the small percentage of life and damage you gain makes it not worth using them. Once I found out this it made latter levels way more manageable.

Has someone matched the optimal scroll amount?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Smash needs to tell me if it's got a dlc premium edition so I know which one to buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

It says something about the exploding Switch library thst I have not hurt for things to play on it and didnt notice the lack or 1st party games.

Not a huge problem then.

You had the initial launch games (correctly staggered) and now a lull until the next wave of first party games. I'm sure as soon as smash is out we will start hearing about metroid4

• Locked thread