Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Thanks for all the laundry tips, y'all! Seems spring has finally sprung here, and I want to give all my winter stuff a good wash before I pack it away (and then unpack it come autumn and having it smell like 6 month old fryer oil :gonk:).
Also, I really need to buy some shorts, because today it got up to about 80, and I not only work in a kitchen with windows, but they face east. Those pretty sunrises I enjoyed all winter are not going to be my friend for much longer. My km has already gleefully warned me that she's had more than one person on grill or fry (the two stations right next to the windows) pass out from the heat. I'd like to think I'm a tough old bird from working the butt end of an industrial dish machine spitting out 190 degree plates while wearing a polyester polo, but I'm totally taking advantage of our lax dress code. First time working a kitchen job that allows shorts, shits gonna feel weird, though.

Wearing shorts in a kitchen with a deep fryer is not advisable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Heard, and heard. It's already been getting warm near that fryer, and co workers have asked why I'm still wearing jeans. It really gives me the jibblies to think about working that station in shorts and no boots, but I hear that's what's gonna be necessary... :shrug: ?

No jeans, they're way too heavy. I prefer cheap black khakis/dress pants from goodwill. Also the longest, thickest cotton socks I can tolerate.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

pile of brown posted:

that sounds tedious and irritating

Sure beats accidentally killing someone

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Field Mousepad posted:

Someone translate this please.

beans, beans, they're good for your heart

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Field Mousepad posted:

Ironically the biggest kitchen I've ever worked in was where I got my worst burn. Dude was cleaning a fryer and a big chunk of something splashed into the bucket he was emptying it into and splashed my right leg. I was wearing shorts too. And I had to sautee that night so I was right next to open flames and scalding hot pans the whole time.

It was neato.

Why you don't wear shorts in the loving kitchen.txt

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

"Ah wunner what happen if Ah put this whole aaaeeegg in the fryer, y'all?"

The last time this conversation started where I work, I believe my response was something along the lines of "If y'all start putting stupid poo poo in the fryer, I'm clocking out and I'm not coming back till the mess is cleaned up."

They wisely elected to not put stupid poo poo in the fryer.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Liquid Communism posted:

Fold it in half and just tie the waist straps. Your shirt can take incidental splatter, 90% of what hits you is waist to knees anyway because it's splashing or falling from table height.

Or just get a chef’s shirt/coat with a collar and tuck the neck strap underneath, that way when you walk through the FOH the customers don’t see cooks wearing filthy, greasy clothes.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

the most frustrating experience i ever had was working a fast food register in high school and having people brusquely cut me off during the upsell pitch, ring up and take payment for the order only for them to pause and then order a drink right after i was finished with the transaction

it's a really small thing but for some reason it felt utterly dehumanizing in a way that the belligerent customers never managed to. like, people look down on fast food employees so much that they'll automatically discount anything they say

They were trying to get the drink for free. Cheap assholes do this poo poo all the time because they know as often as not the minimum wage cashier will just hand them a cup and wave them off instead of holding up the line for another transaction.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
The best way I've found to avoid FOH/BOH drama is to crosstrain everyone a little bit, that way everybody knows what the other side of the window is dealing with.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

It’s one part of why so many people in the service industry smoke. Your addiction magically entitles you to an extra 30-60 min a shift (depending how lovely you are) of paid break time while the rest of the restaurant picks up your slack.

I only do this when I'm stuck with dumbass teenagers that don't smoke but do spend fifteen minutes of every hour "using the bathroom" because they get cussed out when they would rather post on social media than take care of tickets.

When working with actual adults, it's not very difficult to keep smoke breaks under twenty minutes over eight hours. I'm not avoiding work, I'm trying not to hate you.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

every restaurant everything in sf is turbofucked because you can't get good labor, foh or boh, because the rent is too motherfuckin drat high. not callin you bad, just that evidently poo poo was bad

The problem is not a lack of competent labor, the problem is that consumers don't want to pay forty bucks for a double cheeseburger.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Now our temp dish guy who interrupted me while I was getting slammed on a Saturday to ask for his own personal hash browns order "because I'm on a low sodium diet", and proceeds to get a fried bologna biscuit at the end of every shift? He can gently caress right off.

Tell him to make his own loving hash browns.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
A lot of national franchises do secret shops using third party companies like Marketforce. In addition to what iospace said, they often score things like how long the shopper waited in line, how long the food took to come out, etc.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Also from a manager's standpoint secret shops are a great way to figure out if your staff are doing the right things when you're not standing directly behind them looking over their shoulder.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
To be fair, I think anyone that leaves the house without government issued ID is crazy in this day and age.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Who the gently caress wants to be at work when they're not getting paid?

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Trebuchet King posted:

okay, so years ago we put our menu on tripadvisor, as you do. we're historic and in the nation's capital, so why not.
some time later, tripadvisor decides to outsource their menu management to a service called singleplatform. updating the menu then requires reaching out to this third party we've never dealt with, but the changes aren't that big so we elect just not to worry about the hassle.
even more time later, we start getting carryout order calls for a couple items we'd discontinued a while back, and the folks placing the order start makin a real big stink. "well, i'm sorry, we update the menu periodically." at this point, i should clarify, we'd forgotten all about singleplatform, and just figured outdated togo menus were still stuck on a few fridges around town.
eventually, one of the order placers lets slip "but we already took their money!" and that's when some lights start to go on--i forget what exactly our bartender said, but it was something in the vein of "that sounds like your problem, not ours."
turns out that doordash or whoever it was had gotten that outdated menu from singleplatform and decided they were going to include us in their service, so we followed up with a shitload of phonecalls to tell them it's p lovely to make people opt out instead of opt in, and about a week later we were taken off the food delivery app.

(tangent note: they didn't even use our branding, they just threw together our name in some awful font, which REALLY ticked me off)

This was probably either Postmates or Foodie Call. We have this problem with Postmates a lot, their menu for our restaurant is like a year and a half old, has items we no longer can even make, and also includes a regional burger from literally the other end of the country that again, we can't make.

UberEats and DoorDash have tablets and let you handle your own menu administration from a web backend. Not that this doesn't create its own set of problems, since the tablet doesn't care if you're weeded and lined up out the door.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Mezzanon posted:

Wow, what a weekend at work, it continues to prove that it is impossible for people to get fired at this restaurant.

On Saturday one of the drivers got pulled over for speeding while on a delivery (not a great look), even better he didn't have valid registration or insurance, so he couldn't even finish the delivery. One of the other drivers had to come pick the guy up, take his delivery for him, and then drive the dude back to work so he could immediately get cashed out (since he could not legally drive)

The next day, driver guy is working a kitchen shift and the owner calls to "have a chat" with him about the whole speeding/no registration/no insurance scenario. An hour after that conversation ends one of the day servers comes back and asks the kitchen to remake a plate of wings since they got sauced wrong and the same guy says "yeah sure, it'll be no problem, as long as we get to see your tits, heh heh heh"

Server complains to the front of house manager who writes him up, kitchen manager does nothing, guy still has his job, and still has delivery shifts coming up.

Jesus loving christ.

Time to update that resume.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Animal-Mother posted:

Two years ago I just needed a job. Started washing dishes. Because I put all my skill points into Luck, I just happened to be washing dishes alongside an archaeologist who was briefly in between archaeology jobs. I knew off the top of my head that Kennewick Man looked like Captain Picard, so this guy took a liking to me. He told the boss I was a good guy, the boss offered me full time work at a restaurant his friends ran. Washed dishes like I actually cared, which was something most young guys apparently can't be bothered to do, and my new boss asked if I wanted to be a server.

I admitted I would probably instinctively tell customers to eat a dick if they have some stupid problem with their delicious meal. I didn't put it that way, exactly, but I really didn't want to be a waiter. Boss spoke to the cooks in a language I cannot comprehend and later they offered to teach me how to cook. I prepped ten thousand pounds of chicken and other things for a few months. Had to move to another state, started looking for prep cook work, went to an interview with a very nice gentleman whose accent I couldn't completely penetrate. But I believed he offered me a job, so I arrived for my first shift one fine morning and realized I was actually a cook. Tickets came pouring in, my recollection of how to speak Spanish was press ganged onto this voyage, and several months later I finally have the confidence that I know what the hell I'm doing.

I know this is a mundane story but I don't really have anyone right now that I can tell about the fact that I think I may have found my calling in life.

Welcome to the next ten years of your life.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I hope your hobby is drinking yourself to sleep.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Why does everyone act stupid when the boss takes a day off

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I love it when people wait till the day of to piss and moan about when their scheduled break is, despite the schedule being posted almost a week prior.

And then they get mad when I tell them they need to take up scheduling issues with the guy that writes the schedule instead of bitching at me about it.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
So, question for the thread: am I a jerk for liberally salting and/or peppering any employee beverage left sitting somewhere it's not supposed to be?

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Skwirl posted:

Yes? How on earth do you think that's okay?

Because apparently it's the only way to get people to understand "use the drink holders on the wall that are specifically for that purpose, I've told you three times this week not to leave your cup above food prep surfaces."

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Skwirl posted:

Don't dose your employees drinks in a bout of insane passive aggression.

You're probably right, I'll just start sending them home after the second time I have to say something.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

As long as we're having management chat, I've got a pickle, and I'm fairly new to being a shift lead so I don't know how to deal with/phrase this to some of the chucklefucks I'm wrangling.

There's always at least one person who pisses and moans about having to work until close and not getting first dibs on cuts. Then in the next breath they talk about how poor they are. I just want to shake them and bark "DO YOU WANT MONEY? Do you not understand that the more hours you work, the more money you get in your paycheck, you loving moron? Also, do you realize you're bitching about closing to your shift lead, who closes every goddamn shift and NEVER gets to cut out early?"

...sorry. Guess I was less looking for advice, and more needing to vent, it was a rough day. The kicker for me today was a guy who pulls this and was all puppy-dog-eyed when yesterday, as the remnants of Hurricane Michael bitch-slapped our town, whined about having to walk home in the torrential rain and wind because "I can't afford the bus until I get paid tomorrow" and my boss took $1.75 in quarters out of the register so he could get a bus. Then today, payday, I'm stuck in line behind him at the gas station right after we got off work at 3pm as he's buying a $261 money order. Bullfuckingshit you didn't have bus fare, you gently caress, you came in at 5am and we don't get breaks, so I know you didn't get your check and cash it already. You had bus fare for days. Nothing adds up, except that I hate this guy because he's lazy and stupid as gently caress and lied to us all.

These are also the people that halfass every close because they want to leave, can't show up on time to open, and call out every other week.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Samizdata posted:

DoorDash is a freaking joke. Found out they were in my town, so I decided to place an order with my favorite Asian place. Tells me it will be an hour. (Like 65 minutes.)

So, I am not seeing any status changes on the site, but I live in a security building, so I go downstairs to be easy on the driver. An hour later (reading on my tablet to pass the time), and this is an hour AFTER the estimated delivery, nothing's happened. So I finally track down customer service, call them and wait to speak to someone.

I find out there's no driver within 30 miles, but they would be happy to request a new, fresh order from the restaurant. I declined, asking them "What good would a second order be if you can't tell me anything about the estimated delivery time? Nope, just cancel it." I felt bad doing this for the restaurant's sake, but I wasn't letting them sit on my money for another potential no-show. DoorDash refunded my money (yeah, they can take it right away but a minimum 5 days for a refund? Really?) and they gave me a $10 credit for the future which I am convinced will rot on the vine as it will be a cold day before I think of them again, if ever.

Don't feel bad for the restaurant, both DoorDash and UberEats pay as long as the restaurant actually accepted the order on their end.

gently caress Postmates, though. They've started trying to call orders in ahead, which would be fine if they employed people you could actually understand to do it. On top of that, they don't guarantee payment until their driver shows up, so I usually just hang up on them.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Between this and other threads, I have gleaned that UberEats, DoorDash, and other such services are nothing but a nightmare for all parties involved. I strongly warned my GM about dealing with any of them.

Honestly, the delivery services that provide a tablet and have a web-based administrative backend aren't horrible AS LONG AS:
-Somebody at the store level has direct access to the web interface to keep the menu and pricing up-to-date
-You understand that they take a fairly significant commission (we list our menu prices 10% higher to compensate)
-There's a pretty consistent driver presence in your area, since it sucks to accept an order, make the food, and have it die in the bag for half an hour before it gets picked up
-You stop accepting orders 30 to 60 minutes before close, because otherwise at least once a week you'll have orders coming in at literally the last minute
-Your expo people don't suck, because fixing fuckups once they leave the building is a royal pain in the rear end
-You pick one or two. If they're not working out, fire them and get a different one or two, but it becomes nearly unmanageable when you work with too many of them.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

ApolloSuna posted:

I run a homeless/recovery kitchen where we employ residents. So yeah the poo poo we let em get away with would be write ups in other kitchens but its kind of training people how to be functional adults again. Ive definitely upped the sales a lot but we have hit a point where they are stagnet. We can do a lot more but when your boss is like "god will provide" it runs into a stalemate. I guess I just dont have any solid way of showing how we will make more money but I know we cant push out more business without poo poo going downhill. I have an idea of how to switch around the labor a bit to get things going but its like just gimmie 2 months to make things happen.

I'm not sure how you expect to turn a profit and also teach disadvantaged people life skills, as those two things are typically mutually exclusive.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Lol, I was being facetious, I know how they go bad, but for real that takes fuckin forever.

E: you know your citrus room should be slightly cooled, yes? If you have whole cases of lemons going bad, that’s wild

It's actually a seasonal thing: if all your supplier can get is the tail end of last year's crop because this year's crop hasn't yet hit the supply chain in your part of the country, there's times when the only lemons available have been sitting in a warehouse for the better part of a year.

fake edit: or you get stuck with 165/200ct rather than 140ct which sucks if your purpose is fresh juice

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I think you *have* to be mildly autistic to cook for a living.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

AdorableStar posted:

I deliver for Sysco. Some kitchens are loving nasty as gently caress please clean them.

Thank you

I take deliveries from Sysco. Some drivers can't understand the concept of "no you moron I can't take a truck in the middle of loving lunch just because you're ahead on your route" please don't be that guy tia

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I've never seen any bad oil burns, but I definitely have had my morning prep guy call me while I'm in the shower to let me know that the plastic buckets he was using to drain the 300 degree grease melted and now both pots are all over the restaurant.

I've seen some pretty gross cuts from idiots using the deli slicer, however.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

ApolloSuna posted:

Its pretty retail/restaurant life tho. I can count on one hand the amount of holidays or important poo poo Ive been able to take off for in 18 years.

To be fair, I think this is really dependent upon where you work. I've found that most people that have been in this business for any length of time will work with you, especially when it comes to birthdays/anniversaries/holidays. Personally, I don't give a poo poo about NYE or Easter or July 4th, but I like having Halloween and my birthday off.

Plus at this point my family understands that I work a lot during the holiday seasons because everyone else wants off, but it means I can usually wrangle at least one weekend day off in the spring/fall to have a life with normal people.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Wait, there's still people in this country that don't understand how Al Capone ended up in Alcatraz?

Coasterphreak fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 8, 2019

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Yeah, I've never heard anything good about Doordash, they seem to be the worst of the bunch for food delivery. Accepting orders for restaurants that don't do carryout at all for whatever reason, accepting orders for menu items no longer available (long outdated menus), plus what you just said.

I deal with Doordash, Uber Eats, and Postmates at my current job, and Postmates is by far the worst. The biggest problem with Doordash is that their tablet app is buggy as poo poo and just decides it doesn't want to work like once a week. Much as I hate to admit it, Uber Eats is the best to work with out of the three from the restaurant side as long as there's someone in the restaurant with access to the web backend to keep menu items and pricing up-to-date.

Also, as a general note to anyone ordering from a delivery service or online in general: Please, for the love of all that is holy, put a phone number down that someone will actually answer if we have a question. Please. I promise we're not gonna call you if it's not absolutely necessary to make sure you get what you actually want. The delivery driver will also thank you when he can't figure out where to loving deliver it because your drunk rear end forgot to put down the apartment number or whatever.

Coasterphreak fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Feb 10, 2019

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

LunarShadow posted:

I don't know how grub hub pays their drivers. But with Door Dash they give the driver a minimum guaranteed payment of around 6 bucks per delivery. If someone tips, their tip is applied to that 6 dollars and Door dash tops it up to the minimum and unless there is a rush bonus that's all you get. And even during the rush most drivers, at least here in Atlanta, can only manage about 2 deliveries an hour if they are lucky and don't get stuck in the hell traffic. I did a shift friday and only got two deliveries done in the two hours of the dinner rush cause the roads were /hosed/.

Well that explains why it takes Doordash 25 minutes to find a drat driver in the relatively dense suburban area I work in, jesus christ that's loving retarded

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I really wish restaurant owners could wrap their head around the difficulty of finding people to deliver catering. People that have a reliable car and a valid driver's license usually have actual jobs and aren't gonna show up for an hour or two on weekdays to take a catering to the other side of town.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
The problem is that it almost has to be two separate groups of people because they have us delivering all over the drat county and literally 90% of our catering customers want their order set up weekdays at 11:30 +/- 30 minutes and we open for business at 11. We typically only run 4-5 people for lunch and drivers are typically gone till noon or later unless it happens to be right around the corner, which means when we need 2-3 drivers because there's three orders in three different directions and they're all 20+ minutes from the store and each other we're hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Republicans posted:

Anyone got any tips for cleaning hood filters shaped like this:

Cleaning in-between the slats is a giant pain in the rear end. They're too big to fit in our fryers so I can't just boil them clean which is how I've done it most places I've worked. Is there some sort of spray-on degreaser anyone's familiar with that's super effective on caked-on rubbery grease?

Go to your local auto parts store and get some Purple Power, it's functionally the same thing as normal restaurant degreaser and will cut much better than Simple Green. Will they fit in a bus tub?

Comedy option: Panther Piss