Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

queserasera posted:

The gay jokes in MST3K don't age well. There's a particularly obnoxious one in an episode of The Film Crew where a riffer comments that something is so gay, it's transgender.

Don't forget the racism that tends to crop up any time they do a Japanese movie.

Sweevo posted:

I think the X-files holds up quite well in this regard. Mulder and Scully both have phones and use them all the time, and the writers have to keep inventing reasons why they can't use them - just as modern TV has to.

I was going to say this too, but imagine if their phones also had built-in digital cameras, audio recording, and could upload evidence of alien bigfoot to the internet instantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Rugrats is a lot funnier whenever they focus on the parents.
The real star of the show is Grandpa and his crotchety antics. :3:

There's also a strong divide between pre-movie and post-movie Rugrats, I think.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Schubalts posted:

Hey now. They had a reason. They crashed during a time period with no mechanical vehicles, so they had to adapt and choose the only things that were actually around (also because Megatron as a T-rex owned). They get more mechanical designs in the sequel series, too, when they get back to Cybertron.

And they weren't in disguise, per se, just using the animal forms as protection from huge amounts of energon radiation. Though even that excuse is gone by season 2, IIRC. But that's okay because by that point Megatron was a metal flying T-rex on rollerskates and continued to own.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Instant Sunrise posted:

No, it had crap ratings for the time because it was focused a lot more on the conspiracy theory aspect, and the black helicopter crowd had used up their fifteen minutes of fame once Clinton left office.

It was?? I mostly remember it being full of awful, awful comedy.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

For a show that aged well, Superman the Animated Series. I hadn’t watched seen it aired, it’s got excellent animation, fun stories, and I forgot the voice acting was so stacked. Brad Garrett, Clancy Brown, Ernie Hudson, Lisa Edelstein... great stuff.

STAS is why I'm always confused when people complain about how boring and bad Superman is "because he's invincible" or whatever.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah it’s my favorite version of the character. I like how from episode one he’s in the costume, in Metropolis, and all the core characters are there. No teenage years, the military isn’t trying to arrest him, just great stories. A few duds here and there (Lobo is Mr. Early 90s edginess) but snagging Malcolm McDowell as Metallo and Michael Ironside as Darkside more than make up for it.
I always thought Lobo was an amusing enough parody of 90s grimdark bullshit, and to its credit (best I remember anyway) the show at least treated him as such. Still though, when it comes to amazing voice casting: Gilbert Gottfried as Mr. Mxyzptlk and Ed Asner as Granny Goodness. :kimchi:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I think at one point they were recording extra footage in Japan to explicitly be used for the American shows.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Apropos of nothing else, I remembered that show Viper, which was about the coolest Dodge Viper full of gadgets ever. I'm sure it hasn't aged a day.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

MisterBibs posted:

Its kinda like some folks on YouTube channels kvetching about whatever latest thing video game developers/publishers are doing: they are mad that not only is someone Doing It Wrong, but are doing well for it.

You sure are eager for a new outlet ever since you got owned in the internet critics thread, huh.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

MisterBibs posted:

I honestly hadn't made the connection to that. I mean, in hindsight it tracks (bluer-collar dudes being jealous about bands Doing It Wrong and being successful, youtubers being jealous of publishers Doing It Wrong and being successful), but I was pretty much thinking about the generic.

Lmao

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
john goodman is good, man

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Don Gato posted:

Chinese does have an r but it is not really like the English r. I'm bad at explaining in text, but its more like the first part of a Spanish rolled r, before you start rolling it. I get annoyed at the stereotypical chinese accent because it doesnt sound anything like an actual Chinese accent, moreso than most joke accents people put on.

Japanese has a similar thing going on, maybe even the same sound? How to pronounce Ryu's name correctly.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Sarcopenia posted:

@Big Breasted Women

A LUST for BUST

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Obligatory.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Wait which LP are we talking about.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Ouch. Do you have a specific time code or something for where that poo poo crops up? Last thing I want to do is sift through that crap more than I need to, but I'm morbidly curious.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Had to dig around for it a bit but yeah, there it is. Eesh. I ~mysteriously~ didn't join in, and thus feel a lot better now.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Volcott posted:

Did they ever explain why the best wars transformers were only like a fourth of the size of the originals in-universe?

I'm going to have to go look this up now out of curiosity but it's energy conservation, I think. Less energon consumption, fewer costly wars over the stuff.

Edit: Nailed it.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 01:59 on Jan 25, 2018

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
According to Gene, there is no interpersonal conflict in the future, including mourning for the dead.

But there needs to be an extra seat on the bridge for the ship's therapist.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Wheat Loaf posted:

X-Files did it first but I feel like Lost was a bigger culprit because, whereas X-Files had its monster of the week episodes, just about every episode of Lost came off as though it was ostensibly supposed to contribute to the overarching storyline.

I'm also reminded of Heroes, where every end of episode teaser would just about imply that the entire plot and every dangling mystery would finally be resolved next week. Make sure you tune in!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
A strange thing about Doki Doki Panic, it had an increasingly unrelated spinoff called Mrs. Doki Doki Panic.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Aren't sais meant to be roughly all-purpose blunt/disarm/stabby weapons anyway

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Does TF wiki have a count of how many times Megatron tripped on a rock and Starscream immediately crowed about how MEGATRON HAS FALLEN and that he was the NEW LEADER OF THE DECEPTICONS!!! ?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Sounds like a Bruce Timm joint all right.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I reckon they're talking about the "Homefront" / "Paradise Lost" two-part story from 1996, where Earth is put under martial law after the Founders are suspected of killing some Federation folks in a terrorist attack.

Source of Sisko's "Paradise never looked so heavily armed" line, if I recall correctly.

The two separate Star Trek conversations can converge now because those episodes also prominently featured Sisko's dad and his Cajun restaurant.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

FactsAreUseless posted:

All of the 90s-2000s Warner Bros. DC shows are good. Batman, Superman, Justice League, JLU, Young Justice, I forget the others. JLU and Batman are especially great.

Superman TAS and JL/JLU are why I'm confused when people complain that Superman is a bad dumb boring invincible character who doesn't do anything and automatically wins all the time.

You're forgetting Batman Beyond, which also holds up pretty well, especially considering how badly the premise could've gone in the hands of less skilled writers and animators, and the spin-off Zeta Project, which is probably the one weak link in the entire DCAU, and even then it was just kind of mediocre.

Edit: I'm dumb and forgot to read the rest of the thread first, so I have been thoroughly beaten. Also I forgot Static Shock, which came out just a little too late for me to watch much of.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 23:39 on Jun 6, 2018

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Though as a counterpoint, there are definitely some clunker episodes in the bunch.

Like the one where Batman has to contend with a giant chicken.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

I said a giant chicken, idiot.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Drunk Nerds posted:

Having literally never seen anything ever comic book related except freeze in Batman & Robin, can someone explain what was so amazing about these freeze episodes? Not being sarcastic this stuff is interesting, but I want to know why he seems to be gold standard
That whole subplot in Batman & Robin about his dying wife and curing her disease? That's the core of his character, and without all of the ice puns and camp getting in the way of it. Combine that with Batman TAS's noir sensibilities - instead of stealing diamonds or whatever it was, he's getting revenge on the motherfuckers who turned him into an ice man and stymied his his efforts to cure his wife - and it's :discourse:

Also worth keeping in mind that before that point, Mr. Freeze was the opposite - all ice puns and robbing banks, zero depth or pathos.

Lyrai posted:

I mean, humanizing is one of the things Batman TAS did well. Batman ALWAYS called the villains by their real name. "Harleen", not Harley. "Harvey", not Two-Face. They were never "lost" to him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wBjZemeh3k

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 04:54 on Jun 7, 2018

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

burial posted:

TV Episodes that Did Not Age Well: Assassin’s Creed Screed Feed. :colbert:

TV Episodes that Did Not Age Well: Assassin’s Creed Screed Feed: Formerly Chuck's :colbert: :colbert:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I feel like this was probably posted several pages ago, but gently caress it, here it is again anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyGAc-OLAiQ

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I think it's been long enough that we can finally bring back Michael Richard's hit tv show where he's a detective or some poo poo I don't even remember I think it lasted for all of 5 episodes.

Even my parents didn't watch it and they watched the entire runs of Two and Half Men and Big Bang Theory.

Oh, was that the one where he was originally Columbo's wife before the show was retooled?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Byzantine posted:

He does still make a guy hang himself in Duelist Kingdom. It was really only in Battle City that the CARDS shoved everything else aside. Even then, the manga at least keeps some evil magic poo poo, and then ditches the cards entirely for the Egyptian arc to finish.

Battle City still kept a little of the spirit going, what with all the elaborate deathtraps designed to kill whoever lost at a children's card game.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

ulex minor posted:

obviously we're overlooking the unresolved sexual tension between goliath and xanatos in this serious debate.

It's not unresolved in my fanfic.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

fruit BOO!ts posted:

Ok but what about black Smithers?

What about Blue Shirt Bart, Rabbit Marge, and Krusty Homer?

Seriously though I still kinda wish I could see one episode of that version of the show.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Aesop Poprock posted:

You know that thing where old, unattractive people just kind of hangout naked in locker rooms because no one wants to look at them nude willingly anymore?

I always feel like that's why Dennis Franz and Danny Devito like to get naked so much on film

lol if you have a problem with naked Danny Devito

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I remember watching Heroes and also regretting watching Heroes. Not even the later seasons where it totally derailed, just the first season where the first like, 10 episodes all ended with "BUT WHO'S THE GUY WITH THE GLASSES? FIND OUT NEXT WEEK" amongst other mysteries being teased that were almost all resolved many, many episodes later.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Last Chance posted:

I watched Heroes the entire way through and posted about it on these blessed forums and not a god drat bit of the show has stuck in my mind. did you know they rebooted it a few years ago to abysmal failure? bet you forgot

I only remember because they made a spiritual successor to Psi-Ops as a tie-in.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Araenna posted:

Also, was there a reason that they were allowed to investigate this shadowy secret gov't organization? If the gov't knows aliens are real and trying to hide it, would they even have a supernatural investigation branch of the FBI that isn't made up of people who know about the aliens? What would the point be? They're going to be almost useless to the cabal when investigating things actually having to do with the aliens due to their lack of knowledge. Even if there's other poo poo that the branch is needed to keep tabs on, you're putting them in a unique position to be able to uncover the cabal itself. Wouldn't you just have a supernatural branch, and people who investigate different cases based on what they're cleared for? Like, field agents are need to know as well as at least enough knowledge to know which department to kick a case to. Detectives have at least some clearance for their specific cases (aliens, ghosts, ball lightning, whatever). Department heads have more info about their own cases, as well as about the other departments' cases. Then have a director who has high clearance on everything and reports to the different shadowy gov't cabals that are apparently needed to handle this poo poo. As opposed to setting up an agency that actively works against you.

And either way, when Muller and Scully start sticking their noses into things they shouldn't, why wouldn't you just set up an accident on the way to a crime scene? Hell, you're a shadowy group of old white politicians who run a secret gov't program to stop a covert alien invasion. Just loving have someone walk into their houses and shoot them in their beds. Boom, problem solved.

It's a been a looooong time since I've really thought about The X-Files but I think they at least touched on some of this in the show. Having the dude who believes in literally everything investigate all this poo poo means they can very easily label him a conspiracy nut and erode any possible credibility to what he discovers if it's inconvenient for them while on the plus side if it doesn't he can deal with it or bring it to their attention. Also wasn't the season 1 or 2 finale about how they actually did just shut everything down because Mulder got too close to the truth?

Of course that got reversed and the show kept going long after that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Microcline posted:

I don't know about that specific case but it might have something to do with rules about imitable violence. For instance, Sam and Max would frequently replace handguns with bazookas or flamethrowers and bending in Avatar was a way to have a show about martial arts without people punching and kicking each other.

Yeah, pretty sure that's it. A kid is vanishingly unlikely to pick up an actual tommy gun, so it can occupy the same space as other "fantastical" weapons and they can get away with featuring them more. Though I also recall there still being a fair few conventional firearms in BTAS so :shrug: As I recall they also got away with a decent number of gun-to-camera shots early on.

Also, somewhat related, you obviously can't show an actual human getting horribly, violently killed but robots? Or ventriloquist dummies? Totally fair game. Hence why pretty much any time they show up in the DCAU they'll get totally hosed up. They really liked decapitating robots and Scarface got a particularly :stonk: tommy gun death one time.

FreudianSlippers posted:

They also got around restrictions on vampirism by having Morbius drink "plasma" and not blood using suckers on his hands instead of his fangs.

Honestly I think this ended up being a benefit because weird lamprey suckers are way more creepy than bog-standard vampire stuff.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 05:15 on Dec 14, 2018