Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Blue Moonlight posted:

If you changed the title of the film from Joker to Mime and you had Joaquin Phoenix mope around being a lovely mime what you’d end up with is the exact same movie, but nobody would have seen it outside of a Warner Bros. “For Your Consideration” mailer.

It was a cynical move on the part of the film’s creators and WB to put asses in seats and to get a big-name actor to sign on the dotted line.

and yet WB still sold something like 75% of the box office rights to it because they had no faith in it making money, too bad it made a billion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Not to mention that it's a chokehold that leads to Radio's death in Do the Right Thing, but I'm sure those cops wouldn't have killed King if they did it, no sir :thunk:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

One day we will have some animated or live-action versions of the scenes from Battle Angel Alita where she just goes full loving berserker on Space Nazis

And it will unequivocally be seen as the way all Nazis should be dealt with

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I think I watched a couple episodes with my brother, thought it was sort of funny (but I was also a teenager that thought Robot Chicken was the funniest thing ever) but every time I think about watching more to see if they did anything beyond pop culture parodies (one episode was the crew on a planet that was just Desperate Housewives) I remember how repulsive the captain is and think "no that's fine, let's just leave that in the past".

I seem to have the same relationship with Drawn Together, despite lots of my friends talking about how great it is I have never gotten more than 5 episodes before deciding to watch something else.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I was just about to ask if those were those chips and yeeeeeeeep, they sure were

my grandparents still love mushy peas and as someone that grows them and eats them fresh off the shoot I do not understand what the appeal is for mushy anything

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Toshimo posted:

Lauren Holly in Picket Fences (from David E. Kelley of Ally McBeal fame).

if you search Picket Fences on youtube (like I did since I never heard of this show until now), the suggestions seem to show that a LOT of people remember this scene specifically and not a whole lot else

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Canada calls electricity hydro. It’s a mad land with no rules

eeeeeeehhhhhhh that's only in parts of the country where the majority of the power grid is dependent on hydro, though upon reflection that does make up probably 80% of the population but we definitely don't call it "hydro" here in my backward-rear end province

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

This is my favorite trope (to make fun of for being gross)

It was something I really disliked about that Alita Battle Angel movie.

to be fair, when we find out the reason for the body Ido plugs her into and the name he gives her the film makes it obvious that he has issues that need to worked on, especially since he's the only major character in the film that treats her like a child

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Why is it always English teachers or humanities professors who gently caress their students in these stories? There’s an excellent book—or at least a long book—waiting to be written about how movies and tv ceaselessly reflect the cultural belief that the humanities are morally vacuous and dangerous. And if English teachers aren’t trying to seduce their students, they’re unfairly persecuting the hero or stealing credit for their work, or are vain, or arrogant, or foppish, or have no common sense.

I mean, in real life surely there are at least as many engineering professors and math teachers who are pedophile rapists.

well it seems in athletics that there is a LOT of grooming happening and has been happening for decades. Up here in Canada it kinda seems like every few months there are a bunch of former athletes coming forward to talk about how their coach sexually assaulted them or other predatory things and, in quite a few cases, they kinda seem like the coach targeted these players because they could get away with it and the victims wouldn't tell anyone because of fear.

then you have the other side where a coach just gets so involved in your life at a young age that they basically control your life and you don't know any better because you're 13 goddamn years old. This documentary came out just a couple weeks ago here in Canada but the events covered happened in the early 90s https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/mary-jane-richards-peter-des-brisay-grooming-relationship-1.6080215

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

episode 2 was the "lol everyone's drunk" one, right? Tasha Yar sleeps with Data and at the end of the episode says to him "it never happened"

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Reminds me of Newsradio

Phil: Dave this is New York. Not Wisconsin where the lead story is that the farmer’s cow got loose.

Dave: Phil, I worked on Milwaukee a city of over a million people.

Phil: that must have been quite a hubbub when the cow got loose.

I feel this way every time people say there is nothing to do in my hometown, a city with a population of 1 million and about 1.5 for for the GMA. But it's Canada so if you don't live in Vancouver or Toronto (I guess Montreal counts too) you're from a small town

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I remember enjoying listening to Limp Bizkit when I was in high school, but that was only 2 or 3 songs and probably more just spoke to that phase of my life (why yes, one of those songs was Break Stuff)

I don't think I've thought about that band since then, except when they were mentioned off-hand as part of a joke about circle jerking on Silicon Valley

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

londonarbuckle posted:

Buttrock is Theory of a Deadman. That's the definition. That's just how it is. Search your heart and know it's true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YrWsmlJSiw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR4WFPa6xuI

(I have not watched these videos, I apologize if they're even worse than the songs (probably!)).

It always weirded me out that Theory of a Deadman, Default, Creed, and Three Doors Down sounded almost identical. Like when one of those bands would come on the radio I would always be shocked when being told who it was by because they all sounded exactly the same (discounting the obvious religious aspect of Creed).

Other interesting tales about radio-safe "hard" rock from that time period, I liked Staind but actually just the one song For You because I thought it was about bullying and being a victim of bullying I appreciated a song like that getting a lot of radio play. I also thought the one Three Days Grace song was about domestic abuse but no it's about drug addiction

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

so what percentage of this soundtrack is buttrock
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDbha_rQCpMXN2EJ_EQ9vRwCf0Rf98IDt

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

HopperUK posted:

I find Don Bluth films almost actively unpleasant to watch a lot of the time. It's the animation style, I think, it's like the characters are overacting.

Animation overacting makes sense since his whole deal after leaving Disney was that animation should have no limits.

Now, the bedroom eyes that all of the women have in every film (well, maybe not Titan A.E.) that's a separate conversation

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I feel like Stickdeath (if it still existed) is a nice microcosm of post-9/11, war on terror stuff.

Maybe it's no wonder the website kinda just disappeared at the end of the 00s

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Xibanya posted:

What’s also funny is that in some cases the fact that people are flipping out about spoilers is evidence that they haven’t actually had the major plot beats spoiled yet. I recently directed a production of The Cherry Orchard, which is a play about an old lady with a cherry orchard who is in a lot of debt. Someone got mad at me for mentioning the orchard gets sold, as if that was really the lynchpin of the drama and not the fact that it’s a close friend and confidante who buys it. But to defend myself I would have had to mention it so I just had to let it go… as if that person was really ever going to go see the play anyway

a buddy that I run a podcast with (quick summary is we take turns introducing each other to movies, tv, music, that they haven't experienced yet and then we gab for 40 minutes) have run into this because the nature of our conversations is heavy spoiler territory. The general idea is that we write up our introduction to the thing we are discussing but try to do it in as broad strokes as possible to, hopefully, not spoil anyone listening that also hasn't seen the thing we're talking about and then have a clear break where we will be going into spoiler territory. I was the one that needed the most practice at it because my write ups still tended to give away too many details similar to your example.

When you're so well-versed in a work, it is tricky to talk about it with others in the dark because, sometimes, even just talking about how many characters are in the main ensemble could frustrate people.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Who gives a gently caress? Why let the people who consider inconsequential details "spoilers" quash all discussion of media for everyone forever? gently caress 'em.

I mean, in my situation it's less that I was advised to be as vague as possible and more told to choose my words carefully because "hey, the movie/show/whatever you're reviewing treats the particular thing you just mentioned as a secret for first time viewers, so maybe don't give that away as part of your synopsis". I don't disagree with the notion that I shouldn't let a listener's negative reaction be a reason to not discuss something but in my case the format of an episode is to introduce the media to the audience and give a brief overview for the sake of those who haven't seen it or even heard of it before and then give them a chance to stop listening if they want to go check it out before my friend and I dive into themes and narratives that are, by their nature, major spoilers.

My original comment was more that I am so involved in the stuff I talk about that I'm not aware of how even saying which actor plays which character might ruin a narrative surprise for a first time viewer, sort of like what started this whole conversation to begin with, and my co-host has helped me be better about that

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

In the Wikipedia article for Lolita it said that Steve Martin wrote a short story that is a continuation from her point of view and talks about how she uses her wiles to continue charming men until she passes in her 60s or something.

I feel there's a lot to unpack there, especially since she dies in childbirth not too long after HH is executed

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

I don't think it is considered offensive but the marketing move of covering NYC trains in Nazi imagery sure was.

To be fair, part of wrapping the show was taking a lot of the physical Nazi props made for the show and filming the destruction of said props by the crew so there's that

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I occasionally see the Japanese tourist trope come up even as late as 2000's Disney Channel shows. It's rarely hateful but often feels disrespectful. I wasn't around for the 80's but it's always a gaggle of Japanese people blindly following a tour guide and mindlessly snapping pictures. Maybe it's true to life but to me it invokes a stereotype of conformity and herd mentality among Asians. Like in Forgetting Sarah Marshall the joke is that they're taking photos of random cutlery.

there are some aspects of the Japanese Tourist trope that ring true, but I have found it has more to do with them interacting with wildlife in other countries. A friend of mine has been living in Japan for the past 4 years and he has told me that there aren't really parks like we think of in North America, which also means that even simple wildlife like deer are a huge loving deal, especially if you've lived your whole life in Tokyo. Now when you've got things like taking photos of literally every little thing? You can make that about a tourist of any nationality, making them specifically Japanese or Asian does feel cheap and ultimately something you don't need to do anymore. Kinda like the call center bit from the first Transformers movie, or those twin Autobots in 2 and 3

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I wish I could tell you that he fought the good fight uh...

Young Stevie lost a good friend to a train before he had a way to express it. It's in his autobiography. He has a thing about trains.

Is this why the train dodging was such a big deal in Stand By Me(or whatever the short story was called)?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

considering how many betrayals and messes Hank has to clean up after for Buck, I doubt he would vote for someone like Trump, or even give him the time of day, really. He may still work for Buck but that's because Hank believes in propane and is a company man through and through. The real question I think then is would he vote for Hillary? I could absolutely see him voting for Biden

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

thetoughestbean posted:

Speaking of things that aged poorly, how did Judge’s cartoon after King of the Hill fair? The Goode Family, I think it was called

it aged poorly the moment it aired, if you thought late-season King of the Hill sucked because of strawman-of-the-week plots then don't even bother with The Goode Family. The titular family basically IS one of those strawmen but now they're the focal point of an entire show. Yet it still isn't as horrible as Allen Gregory

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Martman posted:

Weren't the Paragon/Renegade choices kind of explicitly not simply good/bad? Like, I thought there were multiple cases where the former was more about defending the status quo than being good.

Not that that means that situation was handled well, but there's at least something interesting there.

I feel one of the easy examples of this is in the first game where you have the opportunity to convince a corporate rep that exterminating a colony is bad. The Paragon route (which requires such a high check you probably won't get it on a first run) is being a savvy businessperson and explaining how it will be more profitable if you are allowed to use non-lethal methods and keep everyone alive. The Renegade route is intimidating him by pulling a gun and threatening to kill him, which is weird because if you don't have enough points to pass either check you have to kill him anyway because otherwise he will turn his guards on you so no one can report on why this colony is gonna get destroyed.

I kinda feel that the use of the term Paragon doesn't seem the best when you contrast it to stuff like the above example or the whole slave thing. Considering you can offer to buyout a contract on a different planet for a similar situation, is kind of interesting they decided to go the House Elf route in that one case but then again, these are the same writers that thought their 11th hour ending was a good way to cap off their story.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

This is the same planet where you can convince an Asari to basically marry her Krogan bf, right? The one with such compelling arguments as "I can't move on after 100 years because he died, like you humans, we'll be stuck together for the rest of our lives!"

At least they got the elf aspect correct

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I guess you could say he had some extreme ways :yikes:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Crowetron posted:

Mass Effect did the same old "women can be gay because it's hot but all men are straight don't be rediculous" bullshit as all other media at the time and consuming all that poo poo as a teen led to a lot of self-loathing in my twenties.

But I guess it wasn't actively transphobic so let's enshrine it as a progressive bastion.

they did finally wise up to this for 3 by giving Male Shep non-hetero options. Kinda too bad it took them 3 games and ~6 years for that to be a thing but hey at least it finally happened. Despite the Asari being designed as female I always liked them being modelled as monogendered, but much like that episode of Star Trek where Riker gets with a member of a similar race, god forbid we cast/design that individual as androgynous

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

they didn't "change" the ending for ME3, they added a "gently caress you for not enjoying the choices we gave you at launch" dialogue branch that resulted in a game over (they could've made it an actual ending but didn't because gently caress you) and added some additional dialogue and screenshots to pad out the original endings. The fundamental endings of ME3 have never changed

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

DoomLazer posted:

This line from King's Quest 5 aged poorly.

that just kinda goes without saying, KQ5 doesn't seem to be remembered fondly compared to other entries in the series, especially 6

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Wait, is Pitch Meeting the series where one guy switches back and forth from himself as 2 or 3 other people to address flaws in a thing or am I confusing that with someone else?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Thats one thing that's really pissed me off about every time superman has appeared on screen since Brandon Routh.

Superman is supposed to be an idealized version of humanity. Like you said, he's a god amongst us, and what does he do with his unstoppable powers? He talks to teenagers who are thinking about self harm. He gets cats out of trees for old ladies. He's the ultimate boy-scout and that should never be considered a bad thing.

I am exhausted by dark and gritty reboots or stories that "deconstruct the genre". Give me something that ends well. That is happy, optimistic, hopeful. Like Superman should be.

Zack Snyder's Justice League would be right up your alley then, as his ultimate sacrifice from BvS is what brings Batman back from the darkness to unite the world behind the strength of his actions and convictions. Hell, he doesn't feature in most of the film but the impact his actions had make waves throughout the world, so much so that his return in the suit leaves everyone who sees him pretty happy and relaxed

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

radioactive spider-cum is at least so outrageous that you get some humour out of it, as opposed to what Sins Past did, and that was a canon arc.

I mean, if people thought the DC "heroes don't do that" thing with Batman was bad, we can go back almost 20 years with Marvel and the top brass saying "no, Peter can't have premarital sex, let's have Norman rape Gwen and these twins are the result of that instead". What a loving mess

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

For some reason I thought we were talking about Ultimate Spider-Man, where a very much adult Black Cat has been hitting on Spidey since the first time they exchange words. Can't remember if it was before or after Peter's 16th birthday, but when she finally has the chance to get intimate with him, the reveal of him still being a teenager was a huge enough shock that she vomits into his lap.

Certainly more tasteful than a few publication years earlier when Peter and Wolverine got bodyswapped and Wolvie proceeded to make advances on MJ

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

oh sweet jesus, looking back through the Ultimate comics and I forgot Pete had that loving awful birdhair look

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Asterite34 posted:

Just imagine giving the Voigt-Kampf test to that Lost in Space robot

I think the robots in the Netflix reboot could pass it

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

It has ups and downs, the first season spins its wheels a LOT and doesn't really stick the landing. Season 2 still struggles with trying to figure out what story they're trying to tell but had some good hooks for the final season. I found that season 3 ended in a satisfying enough manner but the first season is loving rough, and not in the campy way the original show was (or even the movie, depending on which side you fall on)

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

didn't she also want to work on a Mike Judge project really badly?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

But he wasn't in Office Space, was he? Also I completely forgot he was in Angel.

think they're confusing Adam Baldwin and Diedrich Bader, somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Phylodox posted:

I think that the abusive auteur theory of film and television making is a self-serving lie some writers/directors/producers tell themselves to justify their terrible behaviour. A good actor doesn’t need to be abused to deliver a good performance, and a bad actor won’t deliver a good performance however much you abuse them.

But, granted, that’s just my belief.

I think the two Justice League cuts actually demonstrate that good actors can be impacted by their surroundings. Ray Fisher has not been silent about how upset he was by the treatment he received under Whedon and the difference in his performance is quite noticeable. You can also see this when you compare Ben Affleck's performances as well.

That's just one example, think about Kubrick and what we know happened on The Shining. Sure we got some great filmed reactions of Jack Nicholson losing his poo poo from re-doing a take dozens of times, or everything Shelley Duvall has said, but couldn't we have gotten those same reactions without causing trauma to the actors?