Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Early on, House had some great medical staff and most, if not all, of the signs and symptoms were bang on for their organ system. Rare, but accurate. By S4 it had a an episode about “mirror syndrome” which has been observed a whopping one time. Which means the irl patient could have definitely been faking it.

It is fun to watch with Wikipedia handy to look up what they’re talking about though.

Literally any show that uses multiple personality disorder as well. It's a fictional disease that originated from one of those 1950s "Modern Mysteries" things that showcased a woman alleging she had 8 separate personalities. It's become such a popular thing that, like Morgellons, it's become a layperson's imaginary disease that must be real but all major research and study has shown isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

HopperUK posted:

Has anyone actually read Kareem's book about Mycroft? Because I love that fat bastard and I am deeply curious now.

There was some mention of him in the Arthur Conan Doyle books that was so hilarious that I've never forgotten the context. It was something like

"Mycroft is a especially large man, at the heart of the British government and possessed of as keen or perhaps greater mind then I, but so lazy he would rather stay at the club and ruminate and make logical guesses and decisions with the information brought to him and possibly be wrong rather then having to go out and determine the truth for himself."

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember Britney shaving her head was a joke in that terrible Seltzer/Freidberg 300 parody.

That was part of the 5-10 years of really lovely parody movies that tried to follow up on the Scary Movie franchise that eventually just gave up any pretense of effort and were titled things like "Disaster Movie Parody"

All I remember is that actors like Allyson Hannigan and other semi famous people from late 90s and early 00s tv shows would always show up. Also, maybe John Cena? I don't think any of those movies ever made a single notable impression on anyone.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

Friends at least tries to explainn how these 20somethings can afford to live where they do. Monica is illegally renting under her grandma's (or was ir aunt's) name so she's probably paying 70s rent rates and Chandler has a really high paying job so he pays for everything for Joey.

Chandler had a job making so much where during the run-up to their wedding Monica found out that his savings were insanely high, likely 6+ figures, and she wanted to spend it all on her dream wedding. Even as a kid I remember being shocked that the episode ends happily with him agreeing to drain his savings to fund her big time wedding.

Thinking back, Chandler and Ross were the only ones of the group making real money. As a Professor Ross could've made close to 6 figures depending on tenure or pay, and Chandler was some kind of finance/marketing exec? Joey, Rachel, Phoebe were all basically transients and as a chef Monica probably made a few dollars above minimum wage.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Arivia posted:

“Consent can’t be withdrawn” what

That's the rallying cry of the people who think its a legitimate fear that they will be having sex with a girl and then she says "Hey, get off me" and when they don't immediately back off they'll be jailed for rape.

Also the whole "It's not fair to stop when I still want to finish and you already said yes" mentality.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

sassassin posted:

Having someone at the petrol station to "pump" your "gas" for you is a weird, very-American thing as well (or used to be?)

Its New Jersey and Oregon, where you are not legally allowed to pump your own gas.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Push El Burrito posted:

The odd thing is that Taraji P Henson has aged incredibly well. Seriously she's almost 50.

She was the best part of Person of Interest by far.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

He shot Gale in the face.

Because he thought Gus poisoned Andrea's child to hurt him when it was Walt manipulating him to get what Walt wanted. Jesse was a low level meth cooker before Walt drew him in to a massive criminal empire.

Really, everything from the pilot to the end was down to Walt's selfishness and his idea that he deserves a better life. Early examples

- Let that janitor fired after stealing the glassware he needed for the lab
- Held little to no hesitation to kill the early rivals he dealt with
- Made sure to humiliate Bogdan when he took over the car wash
- Queuing Hank in because he was so pissed that Hank talked about Heisenberg being Gale instead and Gale was a true genius

It starts with the little things and then gets to that hotel scene where Walt pompously pontificates about where hotels get their artwork and then says "I don't care about your problems, I'm paying for their deaths. Get it done."

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Bogus Adventure posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure-

Lol, of course it was.

I still love the episode that revealed Malcom's dad had arranged his schedule so he wouldn't have to work on Fridays, and he tried to keep that secret from the whole family, lol

And that his company bosses tried to pin all the blame for their massive corporate fraud onto him as the mastermind and then it turns out all the damning "evidence" occurred on Fridays and he hadn't worked a Friday in 10 years.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

DS9 was the best.

Speaking of not aging well,

Is there literally a single Star Trek book that has aged well?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Tiggum posted:

That doesn't sound like it aged poorly, it's just set in the year in which it was produced and had characters using obsolete technology for specific reasons intended by the writers?

Said reasons being the Baltimore PD were cheap as gently caress and things like expensive, long running investigations into the upper levels of drug gangs got little to no priority. It even comes up in dialogue how the old and barely working technology is a huge impediment to effectively policing the city.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

There’s nothing to be exonerated of, he’s just a creep. The thing that worked in his favor was that the piece was horribly written and did the woman a horrible disservice.

It was on what felt like a gossip blog, and when outside female journalists would criticize it the author went on a attack spree saying no one cares what old women who aren't in touch with modern fashion think.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Gaunab posted:

Ann is Leslies best friend who she cares about a lot. The only really useless character was the guy who left at the end of the second season. They set him up to be like Jim from the office but then realized Jim sucked so they wrote him out.

You mean Mark Brendanaquits.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

datajugend posted:

there is always this abomination. a remake of a 20 year old (at the time) sami movie

It's even more embarrassing since they made a much better version using actual Danes.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

That was the one that had almost nobody who had worked with him or knew him personally because they all refused to have anything to do with him, right?

He had done a roast in 1990 which was in good spirits and full of people he knew and got along well enough with. The 2002 roast was just a bunch of Comedy Central regulars just ripping into him as hard as they could.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Its not just media. I can't remember the last time me or my friends used the word "human being" as an insult or joke after using it all through our teens and most of our 20s. Its not like it was something we made an effort to do, it just fell from our lexicon.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Shut up Meg posted:

I recall that he had a bit of a reputation immediately post star trek that he hated anyone talking about it, because he was A Serious Actor Who Did Shakespeare and this bit of TV was a trivial bit of work he did to pay the gas bill and beneath him.

Then he realised he could get paid sackloads of cash to sit in a plastic wheelchair, while other actors in lycra acted out a comic book, and he lightened up.

He was fairly embarassed to go back to England the first time after getting the part but all his "serious actor" friends were more interested in asking about how much American TV pays then anything else.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Nckdictator posted:

You know what late 90s/early 2000s sci fi show has aged well?

Farscape

To that,

Andromeda.

It's basically the high point of UPN/WB whatever network back then was making cheap-moderate costing Saturday afternoon serialized TV shows. It's mindless fun with mediocre-good acting and crazy dumb make-up and SFX.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

food court bailiff posted:

Not to defend the show but this is insanely stupid and wrong. Like, holy poo poo what a dumb take.

Doesn't the show start with a new hire being really suspicious of whats going on and trying to uncover the secrets?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

Also the premise of the show is supposed to be how the brainwashed people have all new personalities implanted in them but Eliza Dushku is such a terrible actress all her characters come out the same.

It was a travesty because Enver Gjoklaj was fantastic and was barely used.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

Also a bit behind but Fellowship of the Ring is the only "good" Lord of the Rings movie, in the sense that it has a satisfying structure and the CGI isn't as prominent. Even then it still suffers from major shaky-cam in the Mines of Moria brawl.

I don't necessarily agree 100% but the major battle scenes in 2 and 3 really did scream "LOOK HOW MUCH MONEY WE'RE SPENDING!" and while cool, fun set pieces to watch if you looked away for 10 minutes to check your phone you don't miss anything of substance.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Len posted:

I'm not sure what the last season I saw was but there's a lot more casual homophobia in that first season than I remember

Edit: Jesus Christ season 2 has a gay prison rape joke

Season 1 and 2 were over 15 years ago.

Thats basically an entire generation. The writers are very aware how poorly the gay jokes have aged.

As far as prison rape, you still see casual meant to be funny "don't drop the soap" in CBS proceduals that everyone has a laugh at.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Toshimo posted:

TNG was 87-94, Ellen started in 94 and came out in 97, Will and Grace started in 98. They were not contemporaries and the public was rapidly shifting at the time.

Even in the early 2000s people in their mid to late 20s could say that it went from gay portrayl being "special episode of the week/child molester" to openly gay main characters on a successful sitcom in the space of less then 10 years.

Once the floodgates were opened, suddenly everyone realized that they people who hated it enough to watch didn't represent a large enough demographic to cost them money.

DS9 also had a gay kiss in the mid 90s, so its not like Star Trek as a whole just didnt admit gay was a thing.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Even the borderline stuff in S1 has aged well because no one pretends like it was acceptable.

The very first episode does have the implication that Dennis had gay sex while drunk/high and doesn't remember and freaks out but even in the context the rest of the group staged it up because they didn't like being a gay bar so it makes them huge pieces of poo poo.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

hyperhazard posted:

The best product placement by far was the running Scion joke in Frisky Dingo. "Doomed to enjoy a new Scion TC!"

"That's the kind of forward thinking we love over at Scion"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

:yeah:

Also this discussion has made me realize that the Chinpokomon episode of South Park was around 20 years ago :psyduck:

During Jeremy Lin's breakout season, 2012/13 in the midst of all the positive press a relatively high level sports journalist made a small penis joke about him.

So making small penis jokes in the late 90s and not doing it again actually puts South Park further ahead of professional newswriters in that regard.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Torquemada posted:

The guy was hot for infants. There’s no rock band edginess in the world that could overlook that. If his goal was to be a ‘likes ‘em young’ early Bowie-Stones-Zepplin type guy he could have kept at it indefinitely, and his bandmates probably wouldn’t have cared even that much.

Much of society still has that fascination with claiming those 14-17 girls are just seductive harlots with loose morals.

Doesnt matter if they guy is a 50 year old judge or a 30 year old band singer, people generally fall to the side of "those girls are just causing problems" and everyone looks the other way.

Otoh I can't imagine any context where the bandmates were ever involved in conversations or discussions where the topic of having sex with babies came up and they passed it off as no big deal. People would freak out from so much as a hint it was real.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

oldpainless posted:

The Austin powers movies have aged really bad

Fat Bastard aged poorly from the minute it debuted. The third movie was weird and not great at the time, aging aside.

The first movie on the other hand is a hilarious take on the classic Bond films. All of Austin's 1960s chauvinism is portrayed as completely ridiculous in the modern time of the 1990s.

There are so many little touches to that film I noticed know 20 years later. When shooting guns the bullet sounds occur noticeably later then the muzzle flash which I assume was deliberate.

The No. 2 punchline is also the furthest I've ever seen a comedy go for the sake of a joke. Like a comedy nowadays would make that joke within 5 minutes of that name being used seriously.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Been watching New Girl a lot lately. It's a nice goofy sitcom for the most parts but

Jess is loving terrible. She is constantly getting stuck in to other people's business, starting drama, causing major issues, refusing to listen to advice or common sense and making things much, much worse. She's like a storm of terrible opinions, bad decisions, and twee girl nonsense. There's always a "oh my god I caused so much trouble" after the consequences but it continuously happens for 6 straight seasons. It starts being a running gag

The rest are mostly amusing caricatures who don't stray into "terrible" territory nearly as often aside from Schmidt trying to date 2 women at the same time but at least its shown as a very bad thing and not a 100% goofy running back and forth between tables trying to keep the illusion up.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

sassassin posted:

They had the same problem a lot of American comedies do where their designated punching bag character it's okay to bully became very obviously a designated punching bag character it's okay to bully and every joke aimed at how dumb, useless and wrong Britta was felt like they were simply punching down at an easy target. Because that's what they were doing, while moving the target lower and lower each episode because people laughed the last time, right? Even the funny jokes started to feel extremely mean-spirited, and Britta too sympathetic.

The pie in the face is only funny when the sap's got dignity.

Did Community last long enough to do an episode where the actual character literally says it's in the common good for them to be bullied (please keep laughing), like Family Guy, American Dad, Parks and Rec etc. did for their stock punching bag?

Parks and Rec actually handled it well. Larry just rolled with the punches and put up with it because his job made it able to have the most fulfilling family life he could possibly imagine. Usually the punching bag has nothing else to do besides be mocked or wrong, but once Larry clocked out he was the real winner in life.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Krispy Wafer posted:

It's odd that Seth McFarlane's Orville is so low key in contrast to literally everything else he's done. They seem to handle a race of all males who have babies with one another with a surprising amount of tact. The only questionable episode was a blue Rob Lowe emitting sex pheromones so two hostile alien ambassadors bone each other into peace, which I'm pretty sure doesn't count as consent.

Its because he really really wants to just do an actual Star Trek series and not worry about drawing in a big crowd with gross out offensive humor for ratings success.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Debatably it has the most accurate depiction of the cycle of getting a short influx of cash from a boom, blowing it and winding up back where you started.

A lot of Bobs Burgers comes off as a parody of the kind of boom to bust you see with tons of young dynamic restaurateurs who think they are the next James Beard or Heston Blumenthal.

https://torontolife.com/food/restaurant-ruined-life/

Literally everything about how to fail at a restaurant is summed up in that article.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

The fact is 100% of them were doomed to fail without Gordon screaming at them. Think of all the entertainment we wouldn't have without that.

Everyone thinks "owning a restaurant" is about palling around with regulars, drinking and eating for free, and having a hang spot for all your buddies.

Ask them about any other small business being cool with having a social club hang and the owners just taking company resources left and right as convience and they would say that business is doomed.

That Toronto guy even says he was guzzling restaurant alcohol like no tomorrow. Pounded 6 glasses of wine then came up to a major event to accept non existent fawning and slur his way through a guitar solo.

Most of Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares is on YouTube and all of it is on Prime video. You get calm Ramsay but some magically deluded owners like the guy serving "shark steak" in a old fashion refined manor house converted to a massive restaurant.

2014 Ramsay Kitchen Nightmares is great because they found some off the absolute worst including the guy who sank $100k into a car rental side business expecting it to help with his failing restaurant.

pentyne has a new favorite as of 21:11 on Oct 28, 2019

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

marshmallow creep posted:

Doesn't Shaq own multiple Papa John'ses?

Guy has a bug for investing in promising businesses.

He talked about how he 100% hard passed on Starbucks in the early 90s and regrets it to this day.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Pick posted:

50 and 30 is creepy as poo poo. weirdo.

Caring about a 30 year old dating someone older is creepy as poo poo.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Arivia posted:

Cause he’s a goddamned incel who doesn’t know anything about history or etiquette but thinks that wearing a fedora gives him “swag”

Neckbeards and incels going all in on fedora and trilbies as casual wear is one of the biggest self owns I've ever been alive to see.

For all the "don't judge a book by its cover" parables I was told growing up there is a 0% chance someone wearing a hat like that isnt a completely loving weirdo who has very strong views on woman and chads.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

hawowanlawow posted:

always sunny is great because the characters are so fuckin terrible that it's funny when THEY get offended, or when they all agree that something is in poor taste

like when Dee says the swim club probably keeps a couple black people around "like dancing monkeys" and Dennis looks like he's about to have a heart attack

TBH though I stopped watching IASIP a couple episodes into season 10 because it was getting really really bad

IASIP is one of the best examples I have seen of aging well. It started in 2005, and even today the early seasons still hold up without being as terrible as some of the stuff from that time. So few other "shock" comedies from that time can say the same.

In 2009 we had The Hangover, which has aged very poorly in that the main characters are hurling the insult "human being" at each other.

Always Sunny is even featured and discussed for this very reason in this "woke" era of media portrayal as how that kind of humor can be done right. Some of the stuff they probably won't repeat, but even for the time they did it they were way ahead of the social curve for that. Most trans humor/jokes in the first decade of the 2000s is pretty revolting to see now.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Speaking of TV shows that don't age well Entourage is some hot garbage. Basically any 5 minutes of that show you have some insane Hollywood poo poo treated like business as usual up to and including lending out a executive assistant as a sextoy to a big deal writer.

Post Harvey Weinstein the show as a whole is just a gross display of what people just accepted as part of the acting agent producer assistant writer general culture overall.

Some of the "funny" stuff now comes of as worse then any bad humor I've ever seen. The Arab billionaire who financed the Medellin movie has a smoking hot wife who wants to gently caress Vince. Its awkward and comical and then the billionaire basically orders Vince to gently caress her and its a funny cue music cut to a sex scene while the crew crack jokes and laugh about it and Vince is saying how he's embarassed to look the guy in the eyes now or something after railing his wife.

pentyne has a new favorite as of 20:21 on Feb 15, 2020

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

There was a show Fox aired in the 90s about a sociopath exec, and theres two brother executives who are very thinly veiled jabs at the Weinsteins . I believe the plot was a former employee wants a part on their new film, and she can have it if the main character will let the brothers have their way with his secretary or something. I read about it on Cracked, so the details might be fuzzy.

I brought it up because it seems especially toned considering how commonplace it was for people to be aware of his sleaziness, since that show was in the 90s.

It was called Profit.

Yeah and it was sleazy and gross and had corporate execs abusing the hell out of underlings and played off as so shocking and gross it can't be real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Neito posted:

It's shown that they used to be good detectives, but any time they end up in the field, they end up loving up, like Jake's drug case.

They used to be outstanding detectives. Then they discovered Wingsluts.