Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

There was an episode of Star Trek TOS where some guy fell in love with an alien gas cloud and Kirk said that a binary gender system was a universal constant, that got a WTF from me the first time I saw it.

e: this came up because the alien gas cloud turned out to be a woman

Ziv Zulander has a new favorite as of 06:35 on Jul 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

There's an American show called "Seventh Heaven" that will never be aired again for similar reasons. The show was long over by the time this came out, but it was a favorite of family/religious networks in reruns.

Oops.

It's okay, here's the only good part of the show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJngfdSj6s4

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Old PSAs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY1Pl1zGowc

Mmm, meth! :dance:

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Rough Lobster posted:

It's too long for a thread title but gently caress.

TV episodes that did not age well: no rape horses for 20 years

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Inescapable Duck posted:

It doesn't help there's a fair few fantasy settings that more or less literally have gypsies or counterparts as a fantasy race.

Sci fi, too

Inescapable Duck posted:

Weirdly enough, there's a... kind of equivalent/similar stereotype in the US with carnies, apparently. Though they're more a mix of white trash stereotypes and an odd resurgence of the ancient stereotype of entertainment industry workers being somewhere between beggars and prostitutes.

The difference is that carnival worker isn't a race

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yeah, her character's life shouldn't have changed at all when she got pregnant. Just like in real life.

Abortions? what the gently caress are those ?? :confused:

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Tumble posted:

Nah cocaine isn't nearly as bad as opiods.

Really, the big problem with cocaine is that you're never as smart as it makes you think you are

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

No discussion of NCIS is complete without this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8qgehH3kEQ

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Many Asian buildings will omit any floor number which even contains four because of its association with death, just as many Western buildings omit the 13th floor because of bad luck or dad-focused buildings skip the 9th floor because 7 8 9.

This also has the added benefit of turning, in this instance, a 13 floor building into a 16 floor building.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFDRXD7QiqQ

This ran for 5 seasons :psyduck:

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Stairs posted:

Sorry just felt like being an old here but Chris Latta is the only Starscream and all post Latta death Transformers are inferior for it TYIA.

I don't know much about the rest of the media franchise but Fall of Cybertron had a pretty great Starscream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q-3A7l_bw4

Whole game was pretty great, really

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I do love the part where you play as each of the Combaticons and then combine into Bruticus at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gEgFDWZ0Og

:krad:

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

ryonguy posted:

one liner one liner one liner gratuitous jailbait Strong Female Character display one liner one liner

Joss "The movie was bad because they didn't interpret my script properly" Whedon

Joss "feminism is cheating on your wife for decades" Whedon

Joss "my writing is insufferable poo poo period but for some reason I keep getting work" Whedon

Joss "do you know what happens to a toad when it gets hit by lightning?" Whedon

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Star Trek was really a lot more inconsistent about things like that than people usually think

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

A lot of long running shows do stuff like that, not just medical dramas. I remember there was an episode of Star Trek where Miles spent a few (simulated) decades living in a torturous prison where he ended up murdering his cell mate for a scrap of food, and then spent the last years of his sentence in complete isolation. He went all crazy for the one episode, then by the next one it was business as usual.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They died so fast it's hard to recall. Tower Prep, Destroy Build Destroy... CNReal is a punchline for a reason.

Didn't they have one that was hosted by Andrew WK, too?

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Sir Lemming posted:

Stealing this from the Star Trek thread:

No idea at all if this is true, but I heard the actor ad libbed that line in the hopes of getting a free tesla out of it

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Huh, I had no idea Bob's Burgers was from the same guy who did Lucy. I remember really liking that show when it came out, and wishing they had made more episodes. Have to wonder how well it'd hold up to a rewatch though

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

BrendianaJones posted:

There was a conspiracy to crash a plane into the president and he wants to stop it, so he starts waving a gun around on the plane screaming about needing to see the pilot.

_____________________/ Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Samuringa posted:

Robots being okay to kill reminded of this one page of The Avengers where they disassembled the Vision's body and it looks horrifying even if its only circuits

I'm the cape buttcheeks

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

HopperUK posted:

I liked the theory that was floated at some point - maybe in Daredevil? - that gamma radiation will kill a baseline human, but for people with latent mutant genes, it activates them. That's why Matt Murdock got superpowers from having toxic waste in his face, why Peter Parker got powers, but why it can't easily be replicated with just anyone.

This is just the plot to resident evil 5 except with less boulder punching

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

SuddenCactus posted:

What's the bottom left one?

You don’t know that famous marvel character the Green Brassiere

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Idiocracy is a movie about how all the poor people are idiots and take in the lowest entertainment in life, and how you, the viewer, are much better than that. Then it finishes with the guy getting chased around by a dildo machine

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Vandar posted:

The trailers for the new Fantastic Beasts have Newt giving a wand to Jacob from Dumbledore. I'd assume they've retconned how things work and that wand lets him cast (probably limited?) spells because otherwise why bother giving him the wand?

Has anyone bothered seeing the movie? Does the wand let Jacob do anything?

No it doesn’t. He doesn’t do anything the whole movie, much like all the other characters. The wand eventually gets used like an unloaded gun, in a pointless scene that does nothing to progress the plot

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

OPAONI posted:

Animation is … a real shame

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Gnoman posted:

One of the earliest known fanfiction/author disputes involved Don Quixote. After the original novel was published, there were a "sequel" from a different author. Cervantes was peeved enough by this that he sat down and wrote a proper followup (now just added as extra chapters on the end) 10 years after initial publication.

Incidentally, this is also why hideo kojima kept on making more metal gear games

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

grittyreboot posted:

I love the the first VGA gave the GOTY to Madden of all things. That was the year Wind Waker came out

Didn’t wind waker actually have a pretty bad fan reception when it first came out?

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

The one thing I remember from x-play was a review of some resident evil or something and they were complaining about the fixed camera tank controls, so there was a skit where he was trying to walk into a bathroom but kept bumping into walls as the camera angle changed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Mooseontheloose posted:

Conan thinks political humor is ephemera and it's not his style. His wheelhouse is weird, out of nowhere, misdirection humor.

That being said his stuff on Ana Nicole Smith probably didn't age well.

He did that one interview with hunter thompson where all they did was drink and shoot guns