Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I just made my first character and I'm going to go full chaos contagion/essence drain occultist. I was planning on eschewing all health for energy shield and picking up chaos inoculation. Is this viable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Dramatika posted:

I'm no expert, but I think you may have a bad time doing this as your first character. There's nothing wrong with CI, or essence drain, (they are both fun and strong) but levelling ES is really rough, especially if you aren't familiar with the encounters. I'd probably go life or at least hybrid, and then in act 10, once you get a solid ES chest and helmet, refunding your life nodes, picking up CI, and repathing to some ES nodes at that point - some time in the late 60s. The game throws a ton of respec points your way throughout the campaign, so it's not really cost prohibitive as long as you know the respec is coming.

Thanks for the advice. I think I can still pull off a pretty good ES/Life hybrid with what I have on my second roll.

I'll just fill out the heart and soul tree at the start and go up towards chaos/dot damage through the health/mana cluster instead of the ES cluster.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

So should I have as many prophecies going at a time as I can, or save coins?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Gonna drop this here.

I'm in act 5 of my first playthrough and even I know this is good

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I whispered like four people from that poe.trade website and nobody responded. Why doesn't this game have a proper auction house?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I got a fuckin fire lion

how could I ever doubt these kings among men? an auction house is a foolish idea

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

my shield is a cup with a tongue sticking out of it and it's really, really fuckin ugly

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

No accounting for taste (props for being a P.O.S. fan at least), but Blizzard puts out the worst art I've ever seen (oversaturated, overdesigned) and PoE blows it away... ironically the only time PoE dips into garish/tacky is some of the MtX when players are trying to out-Blizzard each other. Blizzard has always looked like they hired kids with crayola and markers for their art though. When I think great art design in armor/backdrops I'd point to Final Fantasy 11 or 14, Dark Souls, etc.

There's so many little details I keep noticing in PoE, like for example Brutus' hands are these disgusting flesh bulbs, I looked it up and it's because he mashed his hands to pulps against the doors of the prison trying to escape when thaumaturists locked him inside, or even little things like how when you zoom in on the Act 6 town, there's a women in camp nursing a baby. The horrors in this game are actually horrifying where D3 looks like a PG-13 take in comparison.

counterpoint: my tongue shield

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I just finished the PoE campaign for the first time and I can honestly say I never thought anything looked particularly cool. Just standard ARPG boilerplate

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I didn't notice any difference in difficulty throughout the campaign. The debuff from killing kitava is noticable, though.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I figured I'd toss a few bucks at ggg and pick up a doofy set of armor so my character doesn't look like bland butt all the time.

Apparently the cheapest armor set is $40.

Guess I'm going to look like a bland butt.

yeah it's ridiculous

I keep being tempted to get a random box and having to remind myself that I'm not that fuckin stupid

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

So apparently the mac realms are separate from the PC realms? That's fuckin stupid

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I just started hitting level 5 and 6 maps on my first character. I had one exalted orb drop for me and spent it on my scepter, the rest is bargain bin stuff. Any suggestions on what I should look for next / where I should go in the passive tree? My plan at the moment is to grab void barrier real quick, but after that I have no idea. I feel like I should probably have more jewel slots. Also, a guild invite would be cool.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/rabble1310/characters?characterName=Astridelma

edit: and is it too late to try to go for tri-curse? equipping 3 reserves too much mana for me to function right now.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

What are y'all's favorite CWDT setups for a squishy caster? Right now I'm using CWDT - Phase Run - Increased Duration.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

interrodactyl posted:

CWDT / Immortal Call always, and whatever else utility I can fit in

What do you use to get endurance charges for Immortal Call?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

whypick1 posted:

You don't. Still get a small amount of phys immunity, which should be enough to not get 2-shotted. Could also link Increased Duration to make that immunity longer.

Oh nice, I thought it required at least one. I have some increased duration in my passives, too :cool:

EDIT: that raises the question: Is it better to raise CWDT to max level so that Immortal Call only procs in a life or death situation?

hawowanlawow fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 2, 2018

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I'm starting to think it's impossible to get 2 green and 3 blue on a destroyer's raiment 5 link

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Magus42 posted:

Do you mean Destroyer Regalia?

Shouldn't be too bad with Vorici 1G: https://siveran.github.io/calc.html

yeah, regalia

I fail every vorici mission that I get, since I'm ED/Contagion and my AoE DoTs don't leave anything alive

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

gently caress fullscreen mode in this game

honestly at 1080p with a 1070 and 6600k this game should literally never drop below 60fps, but it does. I'm pretty annoyed that I can't run it at 4k

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

nah, it's just PoE

it plays PUBG like a champ and THAT game runs like balls

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

George posted:

ED/C might be the best Vorici build I've ever done. If you have to kill the elite but leave a guard alive just carefully snipe with ED by itself. If you have to kill the guards but leave the elite alive then hit the whole group with Contagion by itself. The only one it can't handle is keeping the elite at low HP.

true, but I've gone the route of increasing duration on everything so that I can shield charge through 3 or 4 groups on each cast and don't catch it in time.

up until now I didn't know vorici had such a cool perk, I assumed it would just be +dex or +evade enchants or something. now that I know there's something in it for me I'll be more careful

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The Locator posted:

So I am doing maps for the first time ever, and it's certainly different. Huge packs of mobs, just need to figure out all the Atlas stuff and what I'm doing now other than just running random maps and daily missions I guess.

Someone mentioned that you can strip the Master enchants off of items in order to re-do them. I can't see any way to do that, can anyone share that?

I'm also still randomly dying and it happens so fast that I can never figure out what's doing it. I'll be trucking along jumping into the middle of packs of 30+ and doing fine, then the next pack will come along and I'm suddenly dead. A couple of times I saw right before I died after finishing a pack that it was to a DOT of some kind, but gently caress if I know what it was, and it's frustrating to not be able to see what got me so that I can at least pretend to be learning from the death experience.

Map question - what do the little quarter wheel things (Sacrifice at dawn/noon/dusk) do? I stick them in the device with a map and see no change or indication of what will happen if I activate it.

It's probably a bleed effect, they do more damage when you're moving as well I believe. You should get a flask of staunching.

Yeah, thanks someone already brought this to my attention

This is my first league. Are special league monsters always as disproportionately powerful and annoying as the dancing blade guys are in this one?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

whypick1 posted:

Maybe for some Shaper/Elder stuff, but one thing they will be helpful for is trading up. Vendor 3 of the same type of map to get 1 map from the next tier up. That's one way to help fill out your Atlas early.

poo poo

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

So after reading a couple guides and following the advice I've gotten in this thread, I finally have my first character set just how I intended it (except for the +mana on my amulet, that was a legit misclick and I don't have a level 7 master yet). Someone want to tell me what I did horribly wrong?

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/rabble1310/characters?characterName=Astridelma

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

worth using an exalt?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

haha alright

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I'll consider it

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

20c is like, a hour of doing the chaos recipe unless you only do one map per hour.

In a week of doing the league, I had 8 exalts and 1700 chaos, I feel that is on the low side compared to people trading around triple digit exalts or those that bought exalts at 40c a piece, most of my trading was 1-5c life/double resist items and just killing as much as possible as fast as possible.

By chaos recipe do you mean the full item set recipe? That's how people make money in this game?

sigh

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I just went ES / low life on my ED occultist. I have Shavronne's Wrappings, rares focusing on ES, and the power from within Jewel. I also found a unique ring with decent resists and some bonuses while on low life. I know there's a very expensive low life ES necklace, but I'll never be able to afford it. Are there any other uniques I should look into? Right now I'm sitting at 6k ES, but I see videos of people with like 8-9k.

Also, is the super frosty ES shield that looks like it's bleeding into the health portion of the globe just from huge amounts of ES, CI, or something else entirely?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

whypick1 posted:

They're done every 3 weekends, and the last one was over Christmas, so it should be this weekend.

nice

I regret every non-tab purchase

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

you buy stuff using mostly chaos orbs on the poe.trade website in this game

for some reason we ignore that it is not built into the game

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Is PoE the first ARPG you've played, stranger?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Stranger Danger Ranger posted:

Fair enough on all points. I guess I really need to check out poe.trade... I don't even know what uniques would be good for my build, I'm running an occultist with with essence drain and contagion.

that's the build I run

that's my character with gear and uniques from reading a couple guides and this thread. the only one that really matters for the build is shavronne's wrappings, but the scepter and helm are nice to have. the helm is dirt cheap, but the sceptre and wrappings are at least an exalt. I've had two exalts drop since I started playing a few weeks ago and that's what I spent them on.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Stranger Danger Ranger posted:

Nice, your passives are mostly the same as mine so I don't think I'll need to make too many changes if I just copy your build. Thanks!

My character is ok as is, up to Kitava at least. I don't think I would ever have been able to beat him if dying reset the fight though, holy poo poo I must have died 100 times during that fight, it was insane! I did all the other boss fights in the game with no real issue, but Kitava was just ridiculous. I don't have to fight him on any subsequent characters right? Like I can just level then start doing maps from my hideout?

You'll probably need to put some points into health nodes until you get the wrappings. Zealots oath isn't really worth it until you go full ES so those points would be good to use. There are health nodes right below increased AoE over there.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Can you guys confirm that using a chaos orb on an item won't remove an enchantment?

I know it won't get rid of lab enchants at least. I think having a master enchant would prevent you from rolling a potentially better enchant of the same type.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the way the devs balance the game and economy around third party sites and scripts is weird as poo poo

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the bar for casual in this game is really high

I just saw a video on YouTube called "farming currency for casuals" and it was 40 minutes long lol

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I'll take all of your unwanted steam controllers, they own

and stop being little poo poo narcs about the guy's fuckin flask macros, I'm cringing over here

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

euphronius posted:

Get a belkin nostromo gamepad.

be sure to get the n52 because it "Cranks up the juice with advanced options to dominate your game "

https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F8GFPC100-Nostromo-Speedpad-n52/dp/B0000DC643

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

baby puzzle posted:

I always feel like I'm "done" with a character after beating act 10. I feel like there's only ~15 more levels of skill points for me to play with, realistically, and my build is starting to feel weak anyway... What should be my motivation to do maps?

you get to stomp mobs with your cool completed character