Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

KakerMix posted:

Man that does look baller, and in real good shape too.

There is/was a nice light purple metallic Izuzu Impulse at a shop in Tampa recently. You see them every once and a while. I don't think we got anything quite as swanky from Izuzu here though, that interior is blinding. With the Gran Turismo tax, it might be cheaper to import a neat one than find a base model here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

gimpsuitjones posted:

Weird, we’d call that a double cab on this side of the world

We'd also call it a crew cab here, if that's any more confusing. I think it depends on what brand of truck you are used to, Ford called it one thing, Dodge another. Single cab/regular cab is another one.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

One more and I'll stop. My F-150 has four doors, but isn't a double or quad or crew cab. It's not an extended cab either. They call it, the Supercab <insert jazz hands here>. Those suicide doors aren't fooling anyone, Ford.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Applebees Appetizer posted:

If they ditched the pagoda that would make a bitchin el camino

I think you'd be left with a flower car. A hearse-up?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

KakerMix posted:

The largest thing I've shipped have been the Lite Ace and Crown, both having a total transport cost of 140000 yen, or about 1300 USD. This is the cost to get it from Japan to the US port, mine being in Jacksonville, FL. Since the transport costs are the same between me here in Florida and Garbageman being in Washington I'd have to assume that the transport costs to you would be the same. Since this weird hearse is so large and ornate though I'd assume it would cost even more money. It's by weight and size and the gold house on the back of that thing is huge.
Generally I place about $3000 (on top of the cost of the vehicle itself) to have the car sitting in my driveway, all the way from Japan. The transport costs I've talked about already are included in that, but I have to transport these things across the state of Florida as well. There are a bunch of other assorted fees that eat into that 3k price I put on it, port storage and broker fees and all that.

Both of the small Land Crusiers I've got are smaller and lighter than the Crown and Lite Ace so they cost less. A larger Crusier like a 4 door J70 or J60 would probably be 1300 also, or even more.

If you don't mind me asking, which solution did you go with getting these cars from J-ville to you? Brokered hot-shot? You had also mentioned getting a trailer and hauling them yourself.

I would really like to find an early 90's Honda/Acura Vigor for sentimental reasons. All the ones I see here in FL are on last legs, I figure there must be some nicer examples in Japan. I wouldn't even mind picking it up myself with a rented trailer. Don't know if I could get into the port though, looks like you need someone with a TWIC card.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Little money? As in how much?

I wonder how the market would be for those here, the less fancier ones would make good work vans.

Ehhh, I would worry about getting parts for an uncommon work truck. Downtime and rental fees add up quick.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Yeah way too pricey, I was thinking somewhere around 2k would be worth bringing it over. Oh well.

Yeah, that's about the price of a (well) used early 2000's E-350 or Savannah 3500 box truck.

I would think importing what is a commercial vehicle for commercial use would run afoul of US tax law.

Kaker touched on this a bit earlier, but most of the small Japanese vans/trucks I see one county north of him are used on business properties only. Tree farms, horse stables, fish farms, and the like. At that point, I think they fall into the farm equipment category.

You're onto something, definitely. I would just be super careful about intention, vis-a-vis importation for sale. It's your rear end.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Oh poo poo. Drive a Trabi in CA and get a, "This product is know to the state of California to cause cancer", sticker. Right in the center of the dashboard, next to the no smoking sign.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

iwentdoodie posted:

Those lace seat covers have been in drat near every single vehicle I was in in every Asian country (Japan, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, saipan, Guam, Philippines, Singapore, vietnam, Thailand, rota, malaysia) I visited.

Many people in that area of the world use (or used) oil in their hair. Cloth seats are nice in hot, sunny enviroments. You can see the problem there.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

KakerMix posted:

Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Japan Imports Motion!

Wife spotted a Beat in someone's driveway, we ended up stopping just to ask them about it. I was just curious, she was specifically trying to get a price out of him.

Looked pretty good, didn't get the mileage. Was stock with the exception of whatever body kit is on it. Paint is faded in the way that Honda's red did in the 90s. A few dings but no paint missing. The driver's side seat bolster was worn like they are on every single Beat in the entire world. Guy said he thought he had the only Beat in Florida :v: but I humored him and played ignorant. We were in the Surf though so he saw the RHD in that. Said he got it for just over 6 grand off a dealer lot in, uh, Gibson? Maybe?
Still, cool to see!

Gibsonton maybe?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

everdave posted:

Not to be a buzzkill but that one has been up a bunch of times keeps getting pulled

Sounds like they might be happy to sell just the spare-wheel cover then?
I now wonder if it would be cheaper to import a spare car for parts or pay shipping and tax on parts each time you need them. Can a car, let's say a Delica, be cut in half to make it "parts" Customs-wise? In an honest way, not a "weld it back together later" way? gently caress, the US lets us do that with machine guns.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Eau de Corolla, by Prado.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Previas are very popular with Chinese and SE Asian handymen in my neighbourhood. Toyota way overbuilt them or something - a guy down the street has an okay-looking blue one with 600k km on the odometer.

I've noticed that here, just north of Kakermix. The only man I've asked about it praised the flat floor and neutral handling while towing his little 12 foot lawn trailer. The Previa is much more truck-like than most smaller vans sold in the US, the RWD Chevy Astro and maybe the old Ford Aerostar are the only comparable vehicles I can think of.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Jesus Christ buy that train. What the hell is wrong with you.

Peep the gas tank between the seats. Choo-Choo!

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

KakerMix posted:

I dunno is this one of them? If so first one I've ever seen, also looks rad.

Besides that one a while ago, no. I'm looking all the way to 1995 now and haven't seen any others.

Huh, never seen the interior of one of those. Shifter^stereo^climate control, as it should be. Nice, deep binacle, too. Did Mitsu give you two deadpedals(!)? If it had vent windows in the front it would be my father's dream car.

Is it possible to get a test drive in one of your little vans? I wouldn't like to waste your time, but I have no idea how easy/hard it is to drive one of them around here (Central Florida, I'm over the bridge to your north.)

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Ethics_Gradient posted:

This looks like a Miata trying to cosplay as a Stingray.

It is exactly that? I think the Orochi is Mitsuoka's only all-new car. IIRC, they made their name with Super7 replicas. Bunches of other stuff now: a kind of modern Wolseley in the Galue, SSK replicas(?), the aforementioned Orochi lite-supercar, etc.

It's weird to think how many companies have made Super7s. Hell, I even had a buddy in Alabama who worked assembling them from kits and junked RWD Corollas. Even with about 100 horses, they could be terrifying (ly fun).

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

What an amazing 80s Japanese time capsule that aftermarket stereo is. The speakers are probably fixable...

Hmmm... The speakers themselves are made by Fujitsu and the "woofer" looks suspiciously like a Toyota dash speaker. gently caress that though, cram it full of modern speakers/horns and jam a little cross-over in the box.

That whole parcel tray speaker thing reminds me of the Peugeot 205 premium stereo, except they mounted them in the tray pointing up towards the glass. It also reminds me a bit of being 15 and jamming random speakers wherever they would fit. We only accidentally lit fire to one car!

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

everdave posted:

Has anyone ever seen one of these? Mistakenly listed as a Lexus, vin comes back as a 94, I have asked Mat about it I HAVE TO KNOW

Energy drink promo truck, nuclear fallout detection vehicle, mobile ultra-nationalist propaganda center? Spin the wheel and find out!

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

everdave posted:

I'm just adding cool stuff from today, how about an almost brand new 4WD toyota van with 20k miles, probably in your driveway for $5k

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-3xe4CCztF6TxeJ3.htm

That one could be a guaranteed seller in the right area. Many SE Asian handymen and mobile mechanics around here drive one. Makes me wonder if they are popular in Vietnam or Cambodia for the same work. Odd choice to me, but they seem to tow little trailers around town perfectly well.

Lolling at wombat van. The thing is just weird enough for Australia. Business in back, party in the middle, frunk filled with huge spiders.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

It looks a lot like a Nissan Caravan.

According to wiki, it is a rebadged Homy/Homy Caravan. Made in the Philippines until 2015, that might be a line on parts.

Does anyone know if Japanese van-based RV's like that are cut-away chassis or cut-up vans, originally.

madeintaipei fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 20, 2019

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

That is not an Expedition. Loling at the Excursion there, too.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Ferremit posted:

I have seen someone who bolted a 1UZ into a SJ40 Suzuki Sierra (think Chev Samurai) WHILE managing to retain 4wd.

It was definitely an interesting bit of engineering. They did fit hilux axles tho so the V8 wouldnt snap everything on the first trip!

The 4.3l GM V-6 is a common enough swap into Samurai and Trackers to have multiple companies making kits. IIRC, the Samurai needs to be lifted a few inches to make that happen. A good amount of torque out of that engine. I don't know how you'd change plugs without yanking it from the truck.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Make sure you get pictures of the car's condition before going on the trailer, especially if it's a hot-shot with an open trailer. They should be doing that anyway, for their own sake. Our newest work van's rear bumper was slightly damaged in transit and they paid out next day, but ymmv.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

You Am I posted:

Ford and GM have merged to become the US equivalent of British Leyland :v:

Fiat-Chrysler UK: you thought we were bad the first time around!

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

KakerMix posted:

Makes sense, I've just never seen where these JDM fire trucks end up besides in a museum situation after they are imported and sold.

There is this big bastard up for auction tonight:

7.5 liter Mitsubishi Fuso Fighter, 5 speed and big as hell. This one probably comes with the pump as it would be a part of the truck itself vs. sitting in the bed in the back like the smaller ones.

The 7.5 is ridiculous. I've driven an 18-foot box-truck with that engine, it runs like a scalded dog. Hammer down on dry roads and it gets squirrely. Your load will be all over the floor, but it's stupid fun.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Darchangel posted:

It's mostly a joke. I've been to Florida (Newport Richey) before. I survived.

New Port Richey? There's a Port Richey, too. You end up there and you may never come back. Damned to an eternity of driving around an '86 Hilux with a topper full of trash and a cab full of small, stinky dogs. Structural lottery tickets.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

French Canadian posted:

My leaf springs are sacked out and I'll need to put some airbags or shocks on em. They're not the worst but they are definitely straight and/or approaching upside-down status. I noticed it in the inspection photos but didn't really trust what I thought I was seeing. Possibly the builder didn't opt to bulk up the suspension adequately. Airbags are cheap though...but I do realize that if I had spend a few more thousand, I might be in the same place financially but with a newer camper after everything is said and done :/

Still, my super diesel mechanic (who really seems quite amazing) didn't notice anything particularly horrible. A few seals are leaking but easy to replace. He thinks it runs really nicely.

The exhaust pipe is apparently broken at a flange before the muffler, and the flex down pipe is leaking also, but I guess that stuff is a cheap fix for a muffler shop. Oddly it has a really nice stainless pipe right after the muffler. Dunno why they didn't bother with the rest of it :(

I mean, they're leaf springs. I'm sure you could bodge a new pack together, worst case scenario.
Lol, slap some Timbrens on it. Those things are built tough, no chance for leaks when it's just a rubber spring!

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

everdave posted:

I am @carsfromafar on IG follow me (please!)

I would have gone with @ittybittykeicommittee

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

LeeMajors posted:

This car is amazing and I feel bad that you are going to roast to death in the Florida sun with those giant loving windows. :eng99:

A/C inop. Uh oh. Good thing it's a Tercel underneath!

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

everdave posted:

I don't think every safety rule should always be followed

Why do you say that?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

KakerMix posted:

Makes sense since that nothing available here at an auto parts store wouldn't work, we don't even get diesel Toyotas at all so there would be no filter for us. Diesels always have big rear end filters vs gasoline.

I had to look this up. We do get Toyota diesels here in the form of forklift and telehandler motors. I don't know what would be different between road vehicle vs. forklift installation though.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

everdave posted:

Nope, got 5 gallons in the tank. Going to try some things when I cool down in a bit if the storms hold off.

Should I replace fuel filter first or wait and try to get running with the one on there?

Is the fuel system primed? Got water in there? Pissing diesel out from anywhere?

Anyways. I posted the following in the Stupid Questions thread to try and rope in anyone who knows and sticks to bookmarks:

madeintaipei posted:

I have a question for the Aussies, Kiwis, and South Africans here. I've been reading the Importing Japanese cars (into the US) thread and have noticed many of the vehicles there were either officially sold in your countries or are common private imports, especially Hi-lux/Surfs and the smaller vans. Much valuable advice about these cars and specifically their diesel engines in that thread comes from Australians and New Zealanders. Are there any local online resources that y'all would recommend for troubleshooting these vehicles and their engines?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

KakerMix posted:

1984 Mitsubishi Pajero turbo diesel. Black, short wheelbase, orange stripe, rad interior and great shape. Winch, AC, terrible aftermarket wheels I hate. Fender mirrors which I love, bad spare tire cover. 73,000 miles.

If it doesn't say Micro Machines Company, it's not the real thing!

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

everdave posted:

Delica box truck/ refrigerated truck / ?

18k miles with AC

I don't see a reefer unit. Looks like a catering truck. Maybe racks inside?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Cage posted:

Is all that chrome really made to get dirty? It looks the opposite.

Chrome plating was originally used on cars to protect the finish of brass parts. Chrome is both far more durable and easier to keep clean that even lacquered (or otherwise sealed) brass. The reasons it has since been used on steel trim and the like are the same, plus it's good at covering complex shapes.

Tl:dr: pedantically, yes. That's also a somewhat flash version of those trucks.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

I wonder how all those funny little Mitsuoka conversions would sell in the US. Quirky looks and proven, common drivetrains. Damage body work and you're screwed, but that would be the case in Japan as well. Slap some neon lights on it and call it cyberpunk.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

I saw a little blue Carry on the Howard Frankland bridge yesterday and thought of this thread. Going at a good clip, too. I slowly passed her going about 70.

There was a very early 1st generation Lincoln Continental on a hot-shot trailer by the side of the roadway and I very much did not think of this thread. Hell of a car to transport on an open trailer.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

KakerMix posted:

Yeah, it sounds like you have it.

The Feds do their thing, say "ok legal for USA" and then hands it off to you, with the forms (especially 7501) filled, cleared and checked. Now, to secure a STATE title (at least in Florida) you have to have that Fed paperwork, the vehicle it's tied to, and someone from the state come and make sure the VIN on the paperwork matches the one on the vehicle itself. He goes "YEP" writes down the mileage (in kilometers now don't forget!) hands us a sheet with a stamp on it, THEN we take that whole bundle to the DMV and request a title.

Let's say, in theory, you have a car that was imported properly federal-wise but never registered in Florida. Think I could just finish up the state paperwork and get a state title?

Car is a gasoline Mercedes SEL.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Krakkles posted:

I think he's saying it was imported at the federal level properly, though, and just still needs the state stuff done.

I don't know if Florida is going to maybe have questions about why it wasn't done in a timely matter, but I'd imagine that you can just finish the steps and be fine.

Yes, sorry. That is exactly what I was attempting to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

stone soup posted:

why sympathize with this particular group of people, though?

edit;

a tragedy is when you bust your knuckles but a comedy is when you spend 200k on a POS

On that instagram account, there are people who didn't mind busting their knuckles even after overpaying for a salvaged vehicle and finding major flaws right off the bat.

No one likes a shyster anyway.

The instagram dude points out that much of what is left now are rotting wrecks pulled out of wherever they ended up after being deemed too expensive to keep on the road in Japan. It's one thing to fix the car up and represent it as exactly that, another to try and hide it while expecting a premium price. Who would buy these things except for an enthusiast who would love having the car either way if the dealer was honest? Drives the price up on wrecks, too, for what that is worth.

I look at that like pick-ups in the US. Everything, everything, is vastly inflated in price. Sure, they're tough and easy to repair, but don't try and say that a 250,000 mile plus 2008 5.7l Ram is worth 6-8k. At that mileage and age, either major assemblies have been replaced, or something big and expensive is about to fail. Especially if the thing has been used like a truck. Makes it real difficult to buy a work vehicle, from my perspective.