Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

The Glumslinger posted:

I don't think you need to worry about innovation, there is still a lot of very cool stuff yet to be announced on our end.

Whenever it gets announced

Someday

You guys leave features and announcing and poo poo for way too late every year imo. It was better a couple years ago but it seems to be creeping further and further back.

e: Huh, cool, the 3rd game in "the one" is at Seattle Pacific University, my brother played basketball there, I've been in that gym a few times to watch him play.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Aug 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I finished the Live demo, if it were 20 bucks I'd buy it I think but man, the gameplay is pretttttyy weak. Feels like 2K did years ago, kinda sluggish and you get locked into a lot of animations and stuff. It's a shame because I think a lot of the other stuff they've done is pretty cool in terms of game structure and how cosmetics and stuff work, but the weak gameplay just ruins all that.

Glumslinger you and your gang better have made upgrading your player's stats and dressing him up like a moron seperate currencies this year. That poo poo has been pissing me off for years. I want to dress up like a clown AND upgrade my player, I shouldn't have to have to decide between two ticks of 3 point shooting or a stupid looking hat or whatever.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Camping.. Intense! posted:

Agreed on the gameplay for Live, it feels especially sluggish, but the visuals are nice and the progression seems pretty good. It still wont challenge 2K but hopefully they keep trying. I might still buy it, depends on what 2K is like on release.

I really like a lot of the stuff around the gameplay and the Ui and controls and stuff feel solid and I would totally give it a buy if it was just a bit more responsive. I'm interested to see if they do an ultimate team like game mode, and what the rest of the career mode looks like.

Also laughed at them putting Chris Smoove (the nba 2k youtuber) into the game for one of the challenges considering he's probably gonna poo poo all over this game once its out.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
they really really need to do some drastic work on myteam, it's not even close to as good as madden or fifa's ultimate teams are now. Boring grind, bad rewards, unreliable multiplayer.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

sexpig by night posted:

yea maybe it's just 2k burnout and all but at this point I think I'm willing to accept weaker modeling game and all for a more realistic/less cookie cutter experience.

It realllllly doesn't feel more realistic to me, play is weirdly floaty and the ball seems magnetized at times, combined with the at best iffy collision system and huge amount of pre canned animations and stuff.

It reminds me a lot of 2k of years past, but those are all issues they've fixed to a large degree in 2k for a while now.

I hope it doesn't sink without a hope like 16 did, but the on court part of the game needs loads and loads of work.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Also I know this makes me a loving idiot but I really like the idea of getting cosmetics from crates, especially with the system they had. They were constantly affordable, and you could guarantee getting all items in a given crate since it was impossible to get duplicates.

e: and MOST IMPORTANTLY buying crates/cosmetics didn't interfere with player progression at all.

If they come out and say "hey we made gameplay a lot more responsive in the day 1 patch" i'd be sorely temped.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

sexpig by night posted:

Yea I hosed with FIFA a bit after drunk buying it on sale and despite not knowing literally anything about soccer I was surprised that I actually earned enough money for stuff just flailing around. I can only assume if you're actually good you can avoid paying for EA Funbux unless you absolutely must have something ASAP

Yeah Fifa really stepped it up this year, I'm a pretty decent player and played a lot but I got incredible rewards, like I've been rolling with the best teams I've ever had in a fifa for like half of 17's length, and I've played the game for years and years. And now at the end of the game's cycle I have a team that is pretty close to as good as you can possibly make it and I spent zero dollars.

If Live even has an ultimate team mode (which I'm not sure if they do??) it'll be interesting to see where they go with it. Madden is also pretty rewarding for the zero money spent player, if a lot more of a grind to get to the real top level stuff.

If 2k trots out the same old progression in Mycareer and Myteam I just don't know anymore.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Lockback posted:

Comparing a price with discounts vs one that hasn't come out yet is probably not fair. Also, just don't buy the deluxe. It's not like there isn't going to be a $60 version the same as Fifa's $60.

I feel like they've posted this exact thing the last 2 or 3 years.

They have, basically. And to be fair, they have made big improvements to the gameplay each year, but lets be real here: I already trust the gameplay to be good, it's 2k, it's the other poo poo I'm worried about.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Dev blog about myteam is up, sounds like it's improved quite a bit in terms of poo poo to do but I'm not hearing much about quality of rewards etc.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/nba-2k/myteam-2k18-dev-blog/10154824643637267/

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

The Glumslinger posted:

Hey, they finally posted the MyTeam blog

Ao this is the stuff I've been working on all year, specifically Super Max, but I can answer any other MyTeam related questions you guys have

are the gosh dang rewards from doing solos and poo poo any good this year or is it the same like "oh play a whole game for like 1000 mt and occasionally a gold player" sort of poo poo. Domination rewards were dogshit in 2k17, basically irrelevant the moment the game even came out, challenges and stuff were pretty bad too, so if that stuff is actually Worth Doing this year it'd be great.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

TheJetCityFix posted:

Good luck getting good rewards from NBA2K. Why would they reward you? That's taking micro transaction money away from them! It's gotten to the point that I'm so sick of being bled by VC that I'm going with Live this year. And I haven't gotten a live game in at least a decade.

Yeah I'm waiting on the mycareer reveal and if it's the same drat currency system as the last few years I'm probably gonna skip the game unless the demo blows me away.

Of course I say this now but will probably give in like a weak willed moron in the days around launch.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 18, 2017

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
the career mode reveal is supposed to be tomorrow, and related game modes (park, other associated poo poo).

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

The Glumslinger posted:

https://twitter.com/NBA2K/status/902976730540916736

Hey guys, tomorrow at 12:30, I think it is gonna be worth it

If this ends with the currency and cosmetics system staying the same for another year I'm gonna be extremely unhappy.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk off.

Im still gonna buy it because I'm a loving idiot, but it looks like you still have to make the dumb choice between upgrading looks and upgrading skills with one currency, and all this walking around poo poo is cool in theory but its really just gonna mean everything takes 5 times as long as it already did.

Now not only do you have to go through a cutscene to enter a game, you have to walk around town and enter a cutscene to go to the gym, to go to the park, to buy some clothes!!! great.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Also 99 almost certainly won't mean some kind of godlike all around player, it'll just mean the maximum possible stats for the archetype you pick.

Another thing, in the past loading into the park and proam has been insanely laggy and often hosed up, especially on PC, so I'm sure that this new much bigger more involved thing that the entire population of the game is using will work really well.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Can't wait to spend 5000 vc on buying a bike to effectively decrease load times (travel time) instead of upgrading my character!

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I feel like instead of turning the menus into stupid pointless walking around poo poo they should have ironed out things that matter like making the lining up for events and stuff way better. Watching this guy try and get on a spot for some event and its just as weird and laggy/buggy as it always has been.

I'd really like to know if the story/interactivity of the career is interesting/better, or whether it's the same sort of vague pointless cutscene every few games that doesn't mean anything.

Like I'm totally making GBS threads on the game right now but it's because I have zero doubt that the gameplay part of the game will be incredibly solid, so this other stuff really makes or breaks the game for me.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
How the hell do they have audio and video issues at every single live broadcast, events like this or their normal weekly stuff.

Like drat it's not that hard to figure out.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Saw this on twitter:

https://twitter.com/The_Katbot/status/903351708625117189

If this is true and god drat do I hope it is why the gently caress is there no info about it yet, it's one of the most requested changes to mycareer.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

The Duggler posted:

I play so much my league that I accumulate hundreds of thousands of VC each year and have nothing to spend it on. MyTeam is so poo poo that I won't even waste it on packs and MyCareer involves so much badge grinding that even if you 88-out a new character your guy sucks

I only watched the trailer for MyCareer, did they mention anything in the hour long cast that wasn't obvious from the reel?

No the hour long broadcast was basically the trailer and then stupid interviews with assholes and nba players walking a generic myplayer guy around the stupid neighborhood while they sucked each other off.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

TheJetCityFix posted:

I gave both a fair amount of time, and I'm also going with Live. 2K took a step back this year.

Yeah I'm really on the fence, not sure at all which I'm gonna go for.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Dexo posted:

I think you guys are insane if you think Live when actually playing the game is close to 2k.

It's not but it's 20 bucks cheaper and also not tied up with a bunch of bad bullshit decisions and terrible storytelling and all this other baggage.

2k's on the court product is basically unbeatable but I don't just sit and play single games in a vacuum all the time and I'm not hugely into franchise stuff, so that leaves me with an increasingly obnoxious and sub par career mode and an ultimate team mode that will almost certainly suffer from bad online play stuff like every year, and they both are incredibly lovely about price gouging and pay2win and premium currency poo poo.

The gameplay in 2k is so good that its keeping me on the fence but man I am getting sick of all the other poo poo.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
poo poo like this is just basically unacceptable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdVgjPMFeEk

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

CVagts posted:

Wait, VC is back in MyPlayer? gently caress that, I'll switch my preorder to Live if that's true.

yeah it is, there was some journalist talking about how it was decoupled but he was apparently full of poo poo because its the same as usual except even shittier now that you have to pay for haircuts and stuff too lmao.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
"wow! is that ronnie 2k over there??? next to Russ" (el westbrook the nba mvp).

Later on: "Hey thanks ronnie" (who is standing next to Kawhi Leonard who you literally do not even acknowledge).

The dude is widely despised by the community and he's getting fellated in the demo version its just embarrassing.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
You can play cavs vs warriors in the 2ku menu to get a feel for the 'real' gameplay.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

sexpig by night posted:

yea the cavs/warriors game is a better display. I think gameplay is more or less just a bit above before. Not a huge step up but it does feel better than the prelude did.

I think they've improved it in a lot of important but relatively small ways, pick and roll play is better in general and in terms of defending specifically, and help defense isn't a 100% binary borderline idiotic yes/no thing where a guy will abandon the player he's guarding no matter the circumstance, etc.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I almost forgot they have the WNBA in Live this year, pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4XIowEFKfc

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

the_american_dream posted:

I enjoyed my pg more in Live and my prefer bigs in 2k. The prelude was really bad for my pg

Yeah I had the same experience, I made a PG on my alt account and it really wasn't very fun, but a lot of this was down to the guys in the park games sucking rear end, it felt better once I was playing in the scrimmage games.

I made a 6'11 Rebounding/Slashing PF and he was a blast, upped the weight quite a bit so he's huge and strong and I just bossed all the games I played.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I meant to get into pro am and stuff in 2k17 but mycareer was especially busted with the broken help defense and constant, instant double teaming the minute you had like two "decent" games in a row and then fifa weekend league took over my gaming life.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

cowboy elvis posted:

I am excited for Live on Friday.

I caved and went with 2k, because I am weak and stupid.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

sexpig by night posted:

I haven't downloaded it but I hear they cut VC gains on the app this year

Yeah instead of 500 for playing games plus whatever you can get from the match 3 thing (which was up to a max of like 2500 or something every 3 days) its just a flat 100 bonus a day.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Away all Goats posted:

How do you get the bonus, is it just logging in?

Yeah, it seems to be sort of broken right now and console log in often end up in a weird endless loop but I've still been getting the VC popups from actual games so who knows.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I played a 6'11 Rebounding/Slashing PF and it felt pretty good even with low ratings. I was able to make a pretty big impact on both ends, and was able to get in some pretty satisfying dunks on my defenders in the post in a way that the game has really struggled with in previous years.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
https://twitter.com/steve_os/status/908064403735674882

Cool as gently caress.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Seems to be all platforms, seeing people say the steam release time has already been updated.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Wiltsghost posted:

Any difference between pc and ps4 versions of 2k18?

No, but the PC version is generally full of hackers if you play online at all and the online community is very small.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Enjoying mycareer quite a bit, playing a big man is very fun so far. VC rewards are pretty stingy and it doesn't look like there's a boost for turning up the difficulty anymore that I can see? Also boy holy poo poo gently caress does everything cost a ton of VC, and lots of stuff isn't even the "buy it once and you can switch back to it for free whenever" thing, like haircuts for instance.

Also there are a LOT of people running around at 85 OVR already, which costs 180k VC or so, so people are spending an insane amount like usual.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

The Duggler posted:

The legend edition or whatever comes with like 300k

The legend edition (which is 100$ drat dollars) comes with 100k, the legend edition gold which i think is 200 dollars comes with 250k.

e: legend edition gold is 150$ i think actually but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

sexpig by night posted:

So if I make a drive/post scoring Center am I gonna eat poo poo on defense a lot? It looks like the ratings for that stuff are pretty low but take a good leap up if I go driving/defense, is there any real bonus to specialize like that when the only negative for driving/defense seems to be a couple less badge options?

I remade my guy as Post Scoring/Defending which is an excellent compromise imo. You still get a decent amount of athleticism from defending and not having post moves as a big man in this game seems like a Bad Idea.

• Locked thread