Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

It was SUPER obvious and nobody talked about it until after Theranos collapsed.

That because she would call them into the office and stare at them while her 6 hulking bodyguards loomed and she would say if they didn't get in line they're sue them into oblivion.

Theranos was literally a house of cards that fell apart the moment someone put it under the microscope. It only existed as long as it did because girlbossCEO! energy and the stacked deck of immensely influential DC political people her family knew and got on the board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Curtis LeMay nearly overthrowing JFK

The guy who designed the Pentagon threw himself out of a hotel window because he was convinced the communists were coming to kill him.

edit: Or not him. I'm not sure who, but it was in the Oliver Stone Untold History of America about the culture of the military elite in power right after WW2 and how completely insane some of them were. The guy who killed himself was a major part of the pentagon project in some way.

pentyne has issued a correction as of 06:11 on Sep 4, 2020

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rare footage of a lawyer genuinely happy his clients are pissing people off.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Eat This Glob posted:

lmao i forgot about the mooninite stuff and i lived in the boston burbs then

The anger and self-righteousness of the local Boston press was delightful. There's that one guy just getting so mad about their laughing and not taking it seriously, demanding apologies.

It was literally days after everything came out with the pics of the led boards and a some D cell batteries that the rest of the country was laughing and mocking Boston for their reaction especially since they have found the same thing in other 9 other cites and the boards had been up for 2 weeks by that point.

A month later the same Boston PD blew up a suspected bomb that was in fact a city traffic counter.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

GWBBQ posted:

On top of that, that location had been repeatedly warned that their coffee was too hot and could severely burn someone. The judgment in her favor was one day's worth of McDonald's coffee sales.

I was under the impression it was a nationwide thing. McDonalds served insanely hot coffee because they bought the absolute cheapest beans they could and didn't want anyone noticing the taste.

They had been told by the FDA or whoever that their coffee was unfit for human consumption at that temperature and the main excuse was "most customers get coffee to go and drink later at work, by then it's cooled down"

quote:

McDonald’s operations manual required the franchisee to hold its coffee at 180 to 190 degrees Fahrenheit.

Coffee at that temperature, if spilled, causes third-degree burns in three to seven seconds.

The chairman of the department of mechanical engineering and biomechanical engineering at the University of Texas testified that this risk of harm is unacceptable, as did a widely recognized expert on burns, the editor-in-chief of the Journal of Burn Care and Rehabilitation, the leading scholarly publication in the specialty.

McDonald’s admitted it had known about the risk of serious burns from its scalding hot coffee for more than 10 years. The risk had repeatedly been brought to its attention through numerous other claims and suits.

An expert witness for the company testified that the number of burns was insignificant compared to the billions of cups of coffee the company served each year.

At least one juror later told the Wall Street Journal she thought the company wasn’t taking the injuries seriously. To the corporate restaurant giant those 700 injury cases caused by hot coffee seemed relatively rare compared to the millions of cups of coffee served. But, the juror noted, “there was a person behind every number and I don’t think the corporation was attaching enough importance to that.”

McDonald’s quality assurance manager testified that McDonald’s coffee, at the temperature at which it was poured into Styrofoam cups, was not fit for consumption because it would burn the mouth and throat.

McDonald’s admitted at trial that consumers were unaware of the extent of the risk of serious burns from spilled coffee served at McDonald’s then-required temperature.

McDonald’s admitted it did not warn customers of the nature and extent of this risk and could offer no explanation as to why it did not.

btw at the time this lawsuit made national news it was probably like the 15th or so time someone had sued McDonald's over the coffee.

pentyne has issued a correction as of 09:35 on Jan 5, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

babypolis posted:

the entirety of the 2016 libertarian party convention, but particularly when some fat dude started stripping because ???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BAOiGTizU4

Or any libertarian convention where someone says "the age of consent should be 18" and gets booed off the stage.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
the thing is, are BTC actually being used as a medium of regular exchange?

it seems like 99% of the BTC traffic is people buying it up to hoard it, swapping with other crytos, or trying to buy illegal poo poo.

I think Tesla was already told they can buy BTC if they want but it won't count as $$$ for the purposes of reporting financial reserves so they'll need the BTC equivalent of actual currency as well.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Come on, it's not like he's French.

Inceltown posted:

That's why they have the saying "a broken cop is right once in a while". It's something like that anyway.

There's some savage deep cuts in there

quote:

From 2/05 to 1/09 I saw some of the most vile things humans can inflict on others as a police officer in Los Angeles. Unfortunately, it wasn't in the streets of LA. It was in the confounds of LAPD police stations and shops (cruisers). The enemy combatants in LA are not the citizens and suspects, it's the police officers.

quote:

People who live in glass houses should not throw stones. How ironic that you utilize a fixed glass structure as your command HQ. You use as a luminous building to symbolize that you are transparent, have nothing to hide, or suppress when in essence, concealing, omitting, and obscuring is your forte.

quote:

Citizens/non-combatants, do not render medical aid to downed officers/enemy combatants. They would not do the same for you. They will let you bleed out just so they can brag to other officers that they had a 187 caper the other day and can't wait to accrue the overtime in future court subpoenas. As they always say, "that's the paramedics job...not mine". Let the balance of loss of life take place. Sometimes a reset needs to occur.

quote:

Don't honor these fallen officers/dirtbags. When your family members die, they just see you as extra overtime at a crime scene and at a perimeter. Why would you value their lives when they clearly don't value yours or your family members lives? I've heard many officers who state they see dead victims as ATV's, Waverunners, RV's and new clothes for their kids. Why would you shed a tear for them when they in return crack a smile for your loss because of the impending extra money they will receive in their next paycheck for sitting at your loved ones crime scene of 6 hours because of the overtime they will accrue. They take photos of your loved ones recently deceased bodies with their cellphones and play a game of who has the most graphic dead body of the night with officers from other divisions. This isn't just the 20 something year old officers, this is the 50 year old officers with significant time on the job as well who participate.

quote:

How do you know when a police officer is lying??? When he begins his sentence with, "based on my experience and training".

quote:

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants-TJ. This quote is not directed toward the US government which I fully support 100%. This is toward the LAPD who can not monitor itself. The consent decree should not have been lifted, ever.

The uh, callouts

quote:

Off the record, I love your new bangs, Mrs. Obama.

quote:

It's kind of sad I won't be around to view and enjoy The Hangover III. What an awesome trilogy.

quote:

Gov. Chris Christie. What can I say? You're the only person I would like to see in the White House in 2016 other than Hillary.

quote:

Wayne LaPierre, President of the NRA, you're a vile and inhumane piece of poo poo.

quote:

It's kind of sad I won't be around to view and enjoy The Hangover III. What an awesome trilogy. Todd Phillips, don't make anymore Hangovers after the third, takes away the originality of its foundation. World War Z looks good and The Walking Dead season 3 (second half) looked intriguing. drat, gonna miss shark week.

quote:

Revoke the citizenship of Fareed Zakaria and deport him. I've never heard a positive word about America or its interest from his mouth, ever. On the same day, give Piers Morgan an indefinite resident alien and Visa card. Mr. Morgan, the problem that many American gun owners have with you and your continuous discussion of gun control is that you are not an American citizen and have an accent that is distinct and clarifies that you are a foreigner.

quote:

General Petraeus, you made a mistake that the majority of men make once, twice, or unfortunately many times in a lifetime. You are human. You thought with your penis. It's okay.I personally believe you should have never resigned and told your critics to shove it. You only answer to two people regarding the affair, your wife and children, period. I hope you return to government service to your country as it is visibly in your DNA.

quote:

Ellen Degeneres, continue your excellent contribution to entertaining America and bringing the human factor to entertainment. You changed the perception of your gay community and how we as Americans view the LGBT community. I congratulate you on your success and opening my eyes as a young adult, and my generation to the fact that you are know different from us other than who you choose to love.

quote:

Tebow, I really wanted to see you take charge of an offense again and the game. You are not a good QB by todays standards, but you are a great football player who knows how to lead a team and WIN. You will be "Tebowing" when you reach your next team. I have faith in you. Get out of that circus they call the Jets and away from the reality TV star, Rex Ryan, and Mark Rapist Sanchez.

quote:

Christopher Walz, you impressed me in Inglorious Basterds. After viewing Django Unchained, I was sold. I have come to the conclusion that you are well on your way to becoming one of the greats if not already and show glimpses of Daniel Day Lewis and Morgan Freeman-esque type qualities of greatness. Trust me when I say that you will be one of the greatest ever.

quote:

Larry David, I agree. 72-82 degrees is way to hot in a residence. 68 degrees is perfect.

quote:

If you continuously followed me while I was walking at dusk/night I would confront you as well. Too bad Trayvon didn't smash your skull completely open, Zim.

quote:

Anonymous, you are hated, vilified, and considered an enemy to the state. I personally view you as a culture and a necessity that brings truth to a cloaked world. Forge ahead!

quote:

Charlie Sheen, you're effin awesome.

pentyne has issued a correction as of 04:03 on Mar 21, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

LastInLine posted:

I just remembered something that I think was political but I cannot remember the context of it at all. It's a series of pictures of a woman who is drunk at a party dressed up like a ladybug

Can anyone help me?

e: Figured it out, it was a Gawker story about a guy who had a one night stand with failed tea party candidate Christine O'Donnell

God the 2009/10 elections hype was loving bonkers as for a good 12 months people treated Sarah Palin like she was some potential kingmaker or shaping up to become the party leader before it turned out she was literally too dumb and lazy to even do the simplest grift.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

wow im dumb i only just realized that stupid stance is to spell her name out lol

i assumed that was some insane Dr. Seuss fashion shoot she was hired for but if it's literally just her own idea then lol holy gently caress she's in a race to make Tiffany Trump seem like a reasonable person

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fortaleza posted:

Ah, reminded me of the Jesse Ventura v Chris Kyle saga

Dude just ripped kyle’s legacy to shreds, really fantastic work

Chris Kyle was all set to be a loving golden idol for the conservatives till he basically self fragged by deciding that taking traumatized mentally unbalanced vets to a gun range for therapy was a good idea.

It's amazing he published a book where he completely libeled Jesse Ventura, and then proudly bragged about killing civilians in a disaster zone and suffered little to no consequences while alive.

quote:

Following the allegations, Ventura denied the incident had happened or having ever met Kyle. Ventura filed a lawsuit in January 2012 against Kyle for charges of defamation, appropriation, and unjust enrichment.[36][37] After Kyle was killed the following year, the lawsuit was transferred to Kyle's estate.[38] On July 29, 2014, the jury returned a recommendation of 8 to 2 that Kyle was liable to Ventura for defamation and unjust enrichment, but not appropriation. The jury concluded that the Kyle estate owed Ventura $500,000 for defamation, and $1.34 million for unjust enrichment. The district judge, who rendered the final judgment, said that there was "substantial evidence" that supported the jury verdict.[39][40][41]

Kyle's widow appealed the verdict on behalf of Kyle's estate.[42] Attorneys for Kyle's estate asked the appeals court to throw out the verdict or at least order a new trial because a lawyer for Ventura told jurors that the $1.8 million judgment would be paid for by Kyle's book publisher's insurance policy, not his estate.[43] In June 2016, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 8th Circuit threw out the $1.8 million in part due to the revelation of the insurance policy by Ventura's attorneys to the jury. The $1.35 million in "unjust enrichment" was overturned and dismissed as being inconsistent with Minnesota law. The $500k defamation suit was remanded back to trial.[44][45] In December 2017, the case was settled out of court for an undisclosed amount.[46]

The case dragged on for 4 years after his death because Ventura was going to absolutely make sure any time it ever came up everyone knew that Chris Kyle was a lying piece of poo poo.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Kazzah posted:

Spy Magazine sent Trump a check for 13 cents and he cashed it

Isn;t it that they sent increasingly smaller and smaller amounts just to see who kept cashing the checks? Like it started at $1 and they kept going lower and lower?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

jisforjosh posted:

When UPC codes first came out there was a moral panic on the Christian Right about the "mark of the beast" and it being needed to buy and sell. The "guard bars", the three pairs of longer bars at the beginning, middle, and end of the bar code, were claimed to be 6s and the religious folk ate it up lol

https://youtu.be/lEU3Cb9o7ZY

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Beached Whale posted:

FAMILY MAN
FAMILY BUSINESS

Somehow, sell them at MSRP isn't an option. Such a sad story.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Obama saying "lipstick on a pig" and Sarah Palin responded by slowly and exaggeratedly applying lipstick to her mouth in front of cameras when standing at a podium

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

MikeCrotch posted:

Oh don't worry the NHS manages to kill black women at a higher rate than white women

No lols here sorry

do polish count as white women?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

wasn't vanity fair the same one that did that bizarre one of Newsom and Guillfoyle?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
kamela harris' stepdaughter getting a modeling contract immediately after the election

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Drawstring pants deserve their time to shine.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

remember not to face mecca, common rookie mistake

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The potemkin village barbershop for Warren.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

uber_stoat posted:

Warren: "what do black people like?"
Staffers: "basketball!"
Warren: "that's good! that's good. anything else?"
Staffers: "..."
Warren: "anyone?"
Staffer: "...ssssspiderman?"

"also, barber chairs are too expensive, just grab a desk chair out of the storage"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

fermun posted:

i don't think it was gentrified, it was in the same strip mall as a thrift shop and on the same block as another thrift shop, but the sign for it did not actually say the business's name, it just said BARBER SHOP

the guy from the warren campaign did give vice the name of the barber shop though and a elizabeth warren campaign office was next door to it

here's the video clips the guy sent to vice that he took that day. 2 of the 3 clips are from the barbershop and it's weirder. there's definitely no mirror, a giant rear end tv playing cspam in the back and a movie playing as well and a pool table
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQppPO3bKIQ

Case closed.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Beto!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
obama girl walked so Ok Boomer girl could fly

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
the defeating isis at home is a reference to a house cleaner she saw Bill leering at

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mister Bates posted:

isn't a slopless sloppy joe just an extremely loose hamburger

iowa has an entire culture devoted to the variety of loose meat sandwiches

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
mark warner's tuna melt sandwich

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

its wild how both in retrospect and to most sane people at time the race to anoint Hillary in 2016 was the most intensely deluded self absorbed campaign in living memory and she still tried get enthusiasm going for another attempt 2020.

also all these famous people fully in support of this without a shred of awareness
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YttscNOoAjA

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Dumbkirk

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Terri Schiavo and a bunch of senators insisting they could properly diagnosis her as having sufficient brain function based on a video of her drooling into a bucket

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

You know who was left of Obama?

That's right, Osama.

when a UK paper went back to edit and remove some of Osama's writings and words from an article because tiktok was getting obsessed with how based it was

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

shortly thereafter

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LtTpZpGE6c

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
not only is it terrible she's saying it in such a stilted manner someone 100% wrote that line for her which comes back to how insanely stupid everyone personally working with her was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
RBG giving Trump another SC seat and shifting the court to 6-3 standard because she wanted to officiate a gay wedding during peak covid and also did not retire during Obama's term despite repeated cancer scares because she wanted a bigger 'legacy*'

*and her legacy was a foundation giving her named award, the Ruth Bader Ginsburg Woman of Leadership Award, to Elon Musk and Rupert Murdoch