Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The tone is a bit uneven, but that's the worst fault honestly. I enjoyed the hell out of it. If they can smooth the transitions between the dramatic stuff and the jokes, this could become amazing.

Every exterior shot and musical cue was Seth pouring out his heart about how much he loves Star Trek. I think I easily spotted a half dozen or so shots that were framed in reference to specific shots in Star Trek.

I appreciate that they setup why the seed would grow without soil prior to doing the tree trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The helmsman everyone is hating on is Steve Smith.

Which is to say, I hope they have an episode where an alien possesses them to sing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's the small things. The Orville flyby when they zoom into the bridge is taken right out of "The Cage."

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm not sure where people are getting smug from other than projecting on Seth. Everything about the episode was him being thankful for a command and a desire to live up to the responsibility.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Medullah posted:

Time for Fox to do what Fox does best and air the episodes out of order!

Seth has specifically said the show is not serialized and can be viewed in any order.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Forbes has a dissenting opinion.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2017/09/10/the-critics-must-be-crazy-the-orville-is-a-delightful-homage-to-the-original-star-trek/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I seriously wouldn't be surprised if he got the tree idea from "Datalore" when Lore suggests beaming a tree out and then destroying it with the phasers as a sign of strength against the crystaline entity.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm hoping that transporter tech exists, it's just that they're horrified to use it on sentient life due to the whole killing your twin aspect of it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm happy, but at the same time cautious.

The drop-off for the second episode is what we have to watch out for. High premier is great, but it won't matter for much if people don't want to watch a 2nd episode.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, The Orville itself is a physical model, so it's going to look good.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The Bloop posted:

Not while it was Hugging the Donkey. That was CG.

They're doing both.

Not much different than TNG days when there was a 6 foot, 4 foot, and 2 foot Enterprise model depending on what the shot required.

The big thing is even the CGI models would be based off of scans of the physical model rather than just existing as CG. That alone can make a huge difference in the quality of effects.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Rigel posted:

Norm MacDonald is too much of a flake to be given a permenant, regular character.

Mike Tyson seems to be doing ok with him.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/obscene-indecent-and-profane-broadcasts

This about sums it up. There aren't hard and fast (phrasing!) rules. Enforcement is completely subjective on broadcast networks so internal standards and practices have to play it conservative unless they want to engage in a fight.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The_Doctor posted:

I watched Hellboy 2 again last night, and I always forget it's Seth doing Johann Krause's voice.

It always thows me because it sounds exactly like Dee Bradley Baker doing Klaus on American Dad.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Fantastic. Football gets the gently caress the show when that's not even the normal time slot.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There were other visual changes since the pilot too. I noticed that the captain and first officer chairs were different on the bridge.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I felt like his quip about not joking with Bortus anymore was a nod at the audience.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I would love for the first new TV trek in 12 years to be enjoyable, but there's so much working against it.

Grimdark tone
Development issues
Review embargo
Trope reuse (they are apparently going to the mirror universe in this first season already)
loving CBS all access

The last is the largest hurdle. If you expect me to subscribe to a sub par commercial infested streaming service, I need to be really invested in what you are trying to sell me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Yeah like 3/4 of the Babylon 5 cast are dead so I'm always surprised when any are alive I guess.

Farewell
Flounder
G'Kar
Bill Mumy
Probably captain Sinclair
Like, I dunno I bet the security chief after Jerry Doyle went to Mars probably died or something

Dude, Bill Mumy isn't dead.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Davros1 posted:

I remember awaiting Voyager with anticipation, as the premise was intriguing. A Starship, cut off from the Federation, and through crew is made up of Starfleet personnel and of members of a Rebel faction they fighting? There's great drama that could spring from that. But because of the Star Trek legacy, the first ep ends with everyone in Starfleet uniforms, because the Star Trek legacy must rule overall.

Legacy or continuity had nothing to do with that. It was brow beaten writers and the weight of an entire network launch sitting on their shoulders. Serialization was verboten because the audience had to be able to jump in at any time. Continuity and legacy would have made a BETTER show since they wouldn't have to hit the reset button every 42 minutes.

I'm tired of the incorrect argument that continuity is toxic to Star Trek. There is so much stuff unexplored that wouldn't conflict with anything. Continuity only gets brought up because the loving people in charge keep doing prequels and reimaginings. If you keep going back to the same well, you are going to confuse and contradict things.

Do another time jump, make a compelling premise, and just go.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I was actually half expecting the nerve serum to not work on her since she's human and not their species. I was hoping she was just acting at first and was going to say "just kidding, that didn't do anything."

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Not to be confused with Marc Evan Jackson, Marshall on Mars

Man, now I want them to do a space cowboy planet episode with Marc Evan Jackson guest starring.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's still matching Gotham's lead in.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You can't take legal action until someone comes forward with charges. You can certainly marginalize and make moves to push someone out who behaves in such a manner.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

With the string of successes that Ed had had, I'm betting the end of season cliffhanger will be the brass trying to promote him to a new ship as the war with the Krill heats up.

This is a nice mirror of Riker always turning down promotions.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

She just got news that her son was dying from the toxin that wiped out most of the world and the guy gave every sign that he world never let her go.

It was also very obvious she stressed stun to her son to spare him from having to live with the choice she just made.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I loved Ed's "We need better people" muttered under his breath.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I ending up breaking my older sister's wrist once. It was an accident, but it happened pretty much the way the shuttle crashed. Pretty back and forth sniping made her lose her balance and brace her fall with her hand.

Never lets me forget it either, it was like a week before we went to the beach.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm calling it now that the blue guy's culture is totally fine with sleeping around so he feels he hasn't harmed Ed and acts accordingly.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

bull3964 posted:

I'm calling it now that the blue guy's culture is totally fine with sleeping around so he feels he hasn't harmed Ed and acts accordingly.

AHEM!

"In my culture, it's rude to turn down sex."

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

WampaLord posted:

And yet, he still did when there was a great threat, and he did seem upset about breaking up their marriage, so don't pat yourself on the back too hard there.

Hey, I need a good back pat this week.

I think it was more he was upset that Ed was upset rather than any genuine remorse at breaking up the marriage.

Basically, he's sorry he made Ed upset, not really about the act that made him upset.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

No, there's nothing remotely the same as firefly except that the setting is space.

It's Seth MacFarlane Presents: Star Trek: TNG

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm going to bet that the restraints were programmed to be able to be broken at the right moment.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Actually, he's doing a very good Doug Jones impression right now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Geeze guys. Type 2 Phasers incorporating Type 1 is like Star Trek 101 and was the case from TOS up until Star Trek V.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Apparently the hand held TNG flashlights were the front of a FirstAlert flashlight slimmed down a bit and then they ran wires up the sleeves and down to a 9v battery strapped to their ankle.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

From above, the Orville's aft section looks like a sideways :aaa:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's easier to list what Fox stuff Disney doesn't own now which I believe is only Fox News and Fox Sports.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The simple rating system for movies today is dumb in the information age. Even the TV rating system is more nuanced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Pakled posted:

Also there was a strong implication in one episode of TOS that the Vulcans were actually conquered by humans

It was one offhand comment by McCoy who's rarely serious when he's needling Spock. I don't know why anyone points to that as a serious indication of the geopolitical landscape of the federation.