Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Uh second day in a row I can't do camel boy's quest because my level is not high enough. First it was a level 26 quest with skull enemies who two-shot me at level 28, now it's a level 38 "kill bandits" quest. Didn't want these heka chests anyway :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Palpek posted:

Doesn't that quest's level depend on the region level that you trigger it at?

The region was Faiyum or Faiyum Oasis though, definitely some late 20s zone I was doing story quests in. And the first time was in some level ~25 area (hence the quest being the right level but the enemies were way too high, the game actually spawned NPCs fighting them but those were level 26 like the quest and they died in seconds, just like me :v:)

orcane fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 30, 2017

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Lord Hydronium posted:

Vienna would be a pretty great setting for an AC game, though.

That's what I was thinking while playing Syndicate, yeah.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I got the gold edition for basically the same price as the base game was available at. In a year you can buy the gold edition for 30 bucks or less (see: Watch Dogs 2 Gold every time it was on sale for the past two months). Not only that, but "RoI" or "x hours of playtime for y dollars" is easily the dumbest metric gamers use to compare stuff. I vastly prefer a fun 5h expansion/game over one that stretches the same content over 10 or even 20 hours. And if the 5h expansion is not fun either, I simply won't buy it, it's no big deal if I can't keep playing the same game until the end of time.

Besides, even back in those mythical days, plenty of expansions were collections of low-effort/recycled content like skirmish maps and some unbalanced or otherwise half-assed campaign for RTS games, or a bunch of same-looking new corridors with one or two new monsters for FPS games.

Gamers, not horse armor ruined gaming. Without gamers pre-purchasing season passes at full price before they know what's even in them, buying horse armor in one of the (on PC) most openly moddable franchises, and following the mantra of "hours spent = content = fun", games as a service wouldn't be as far along as it is today.

orcane fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jan 18, 2018

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Every game should have an undead DLC, ala Red Dead Redemption and Sleeping Dogs

Wrong! Zombies are really boring and dumb and I wish devs spent their time on more creative things for my favourite games.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Any idea would be fun if properly executed. This demonstrates a lack of imagination.

Thank you for your concern but I can imagine plenty of fun things. None of which contain any sort of undead though :colbert:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
k. u. k. Vienna please

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I hope they're not messing with the caravan spawning :ohdear:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Lobok posted:

I don't ever get fun stuff like this. I'm trying to get the trophy for killng 30 enemies with oil jars and I probably started way too late in the game because guards do not reliably die from fire damage so I have to set up each guard with perfect positioning, sleep darts, and at least a couple jars.

Can't you go clear a level 8 camp or something low level like that?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Lobok posted:

For sure. I was back in Siwa doing something else and I burned up a couple level 1 and 2 guards. When I say "going for the trophy" I mean I'm keeping it in mind as I go through the game doing other stuff. Will go to low-level camps if I really need to but I don't want to spend my time revisiting locations just yet.

Yeah that's fair, doing trophies of this kind as you just play the game is the most sane/fun way, usually.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Lobok posted:

That Phylakes spawn bug happened to me at high levels. Had to Reset All Quest Objectives to fix it and man, that is one scary button to press unless you know exactly what it means and does.

What does it do? At first I assumed it would reset your current quest, but using it triggers a warning that sounds more like "RESET ALL THE THINGS".

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Considering fast travel points put every location on the map as a question mark, and those for tombs, stone circles and hermit locations are yellow/gold, I wouldn't buy the map bundle. Unless you really hate the idea of having to unlock all fast travel points first, that is.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

The Macaroni posted:

For my part I was grateful that there were no hard fences in Origins. I remember getting my first camel and looking at the map, thinking "Welp, guess all that fog stuff is where I'll hit the Animus border that won't let me through until I get the 4th MacGuffin and kill Some Dude. But I'll go ride up to it anyway." Then I kept on riding and riding until a high level dude oneshotted me, but that was a really long and astonishing ride.

I think the first region around Siwa actually does the "Animus border" thing, at least you can't leave it. Once the story teleports you across the map you can go anywhere, except yeah - enemies a handful of levels above like to just one-shot you.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Twat McTwatterson posted:

Why does the abstergo chick have a moogle, a chocobo, and a cactuar at the base of operations where they find bayek and aya's tombs? What's the connection here?

Also, been playing and enjoying this for about 20 hours now, and I'm no stranger to Assassin's Creed. And at the end of the day, this is still Assassin's Creed. It's huge and stunning, but still has that AC feeling of emptiness. The questing helps alleviate this, but the quests are just no where near Witcher 3 level, so they just feel tacked on. And searching for every treasure chest is just the same as it has always been.

For some reason Ubisoft did some cross-promotions with Final Fantasy 15 (the boyband tour one), there's also a quest that awards a FF-themed sword/shield and a camel mount with a chocobo costume.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kuiperdolin posted:

And it's the worst quest ever.

eh?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

King of Solomon posted:

Since this game is on sale on steam right now, I'm curious. How good is the DLC? Is it good enough to pick up the Gold version of the game (which is discounted to $60 right now, and technically cheaper than game + season pass)?

E: Gold, not Deluxe.

The 2nd one is great - at first I was afraid they'd go for some bad zombie story, but besides the connections to the AssCreed background stuff with "aliens", the story is quite nice and the side quests are good. It still has "more of the game" aspects, but some of the new areas are unique and very pretty and some of the new enemies are a slightly different challenge. The first DLC is indeed mostly similar quests in new zones that look like they could be in the main campaign instead - in terms of gameplay and even visuals there's nothing you don't already know coming from the base game. At least it has more levels and two massive fortresses.

I'm selling a code for the Gold edition on SA-Mart if you're interested, gotta buy a new European one because I didn't pay attention and bought a NA one :doh:

orcane fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Apr 14, 2018

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

The Macaroni posted:

I loved Akhenaten's and Nefertiti's. They were all cool in their way, but those two were stunning.
Where's the aliens stuff? Did I miss something?

I meant the "fragment does all the bad stuffs!" part, it does nothing for me.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Supreme Allah posted:

Im guessing they're souls of widows or orphans or something tragic I never figured out, but glad to leave them be

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Egyptian_concept_of_the_soul#B%C3%A2_(personality)

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Supreme Allah posted:

I did the last quest I had left, Lights Among the Dune, and it wore my rear end out -- it's supposed to be level 40ish, and I'm 55 with all sorts of boosts to damage, and it still was a mission

I must've killed a hundred of those soldier ghosts before I noticed the very obvious prompt to 'escape the tomb!',

then there's that hallucination fight in a tiny ring of fire which is harrowing.

Not a bad reward though, a light-bow with health on hit -- comparable to the one I had, giving up 2 points of 'rate of fire' to gain 2 points in 'critical hit rate'

But now theres nothing to do.

This quest is the lead-in to the 2nd DLC, did you do that before doing the quest? :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

poptart_fairy posted:

Syndicate and Unity are on sale for a tenner. Syndicate is the one everyone loves, right.

Syndicate was good yes. It might be a bit hard to play after Origin, but all AC games will from now on, IMO.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Lunethex posted:

fokkn wot

He really is.

I did all the open world stuff with Evie and it was always a bummer when story missions made me play Dude McDumb instead.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

underage at the vape shop posted:

The abs on the bronze breastplate stretch and flex when the characters move, can’t stop looking at it.

I've seen that in other games before and it's always funny.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

hiddenriverninja posted:

hey, they've learned their lesson!

They already did that with Syndicate -> Origin, I was kinda surprised they did Odyssey only one year later (actually I just wanted Watch Dogs 3).

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I played Origins excessively so I'm not new to the basic gameplay, and it probably makes me biased because I'm comparing spending dozens of hours on high/max level Bayek with the corresponding equipment and skills to early game Kassandra, but I'm having more difficulties than I expected.

I was level 8 when I got the ship and foolishly tried to explore the zone where you get your first lieutenant, which is full of level 10 enemies I mostly couldn't assassinate/knock out in one attack, and open combat takes forever because they take no damage and I take a lot, so eventually I just gave up and moved on to Megaris. I remember Origins dropped a fuckton of gear all the time but in this I had little luck with loot beyond another 4 drachmae and 3 wood. Almost all the gear I do get is bad common stuff and I can't afford to upgrade any of the few blues I have because the upgrade cost in both money and materials is ridiculous. At least Kassandra and the story is fun and if I'm not fighting stuff above my level the combat is good to - unless I'm trying to fight too many dudes with shields or three mercenaries who all converged on me at once. I really hope it gets better with more gear/abilities/levels soon because so far I don't enjoy many of the new gameplay systems :(

Are the random (?) tasks worth it? The stuff I did for the message boards so far was mostly bland and doesn't seem very rewarding, so I'm not sure if I should just ignore the bunch of "kill 5/10/25 ships/spartans" and "clear 10 forts" quests that are filling up my quest log by now.

But seriously, what is with the items/upgrade cost? Did someone at Ubi finally figure out no one was buying helix credits/gear/material packs in Origins so let's just jack up the prices to infinity?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Perestroika posted:

Upgrading really seems like it's supposed to be a rare thing for when you want to uplift a particular epic or legendary from your stash because it would fit to your current playstyle or loadout. Trying to upgrade your whole equipment every few levels to keep pace is much too expensive and seems unintended.

Yeah that's how Origins' upgrading was handled (but with just money, no materials), so I didn't actually expect to upgrade every thing every level. But if you're like level 8 with less than 2k drachmae in your wallet and about 10 wood collected, and upgrading a level 2 item takes most of your drachmae and 150 wood that's also used to make arrows and upgrade your ship, that's pretty silly.

I'm glad to hear this gets better later. To be fair Origins had similar issues - mid/late game you're swimming in normal mats and gold (and weapons) while waiting for some rare stuff to get your final upgrades, but early on you're always waiting for 10 more bronze for your next character upgrade and every time you went in the "wrong" direction there were enemies 3+ levels higher one- or two-shotting you.

Does it matter whether I kill or recruit mercenaries?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Deakul posted:

You loving kidding me? Civilians are supposed to be even more bloodthirsty than they already are?
I was sincerely hoping that they'd make them completely docile save for if they get attacked, they've ruined my day way too many times already and it's getting really annoying.

Nothing worse than being in a fort fighting mooks and mercs and then getting stabbed in the back and dying to a god damned random slave with a spear.

I'm trying to get into the silver mines near Athens and this annoys me to no end. Not only do I have the two mercenaries on my rear end immediately show up, they're also joined by 2-3 more, all 2-4 levels above mine, because the workers insist on attacking me with hammers and then die while I'm fighting the stupid sacks of hitpoints constantly thrown at me everywhere.

E: In the end it only worked by paying my bounty and stealthing most of the mine, and not killing any soldier to avoid attracting bounty hunters, but even so some heroes decided to come at me with spears while I was fist fighting some archers.

orcane fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Nov 2, 2018

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
So after a few more hours and more levels/abilities/better gear/cheaper upgrades (thank you patch) it stopped annoying me every few encounters and generally, having things my level (or 2-3 levels lower) is far better than 2-4 levels above. Elite mobs still have too much HP though.

I noticed a few things from Origins which are strangely absent in this, like torches igniting spider webs (minor, I guess it's for performance reasons) or towns being their own fast travel option. Considering the inconvenient placement of a lot of the synch points vs. where stuff actually happens in towns, the latter kinda sucks (it meant even minor towns could have fast travel even though the next vantage point was on some mountain miles away). I also feel like the Batman vision pulse was more obvious in Origins - here I often hear pings but can't find the icon in the game world.

Also is it just me or does the game have some weird glitches? The biggest one for me (on PS4) is the white outline of a nearby enemy suddenly stretching across the screen and tanking my framerate to like 2 seconds per frame until I reload or manage to move away. I also see a ton of uselesss lootables which are somehow within the level geometry (just below the floor or within a piece of unbreakable furniture or debris).

The actual content is good although I'll agree on the VA thing. My next story quest is return to Athens but after losing a bunch of sidequests to moving on with the story or accidentally triggering a zone's regime change, I'm farting around right now. Every island I go to has 2-3 new quests of which at least one has several subquests and honestly it's a bit exhausting. Origins was big and exhausting too but I still ended up getting 100%, which I don't usually bother with in open world games nowadays. Pretty sure I'll skip that for Odyssey, though - it's a lot of islands and a lot of quests/forts/everything :suicide:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Sindai posted:

Also after doing a few forts I've noticed that there's clearly an AI at work behind the scenes that causes nearby guards to "randomly" move into empty parts of the fort after you start assassinating. If you have patience and stay in the same spot every guard within 100m will eventually wander past you to die one by one, it's kind of hilarious.

I think it already worked like this in Assassins Creed: Uncle Bayek Edition and yeah it's great.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
So I mentioned losing sidequests to "accidental" progress earlier and I guess I wasn't done being screwed by that yet :haw:

Mykonos quest spoilers: I was doing the subquests to help Kyra and her Spartan quasi-boyfriend, but by clearing all the forts on the island I had already reduced Athens' influence to zero and didn't look what quest I was accepting in the Spartan camp. Turns out it was the conquest battle which dropped all the subquests like "sink a few ships and get the Spartan dude's helmet" upon completion, but I didn't notice that until I had overwritten the relevant quick- and autosaves by loving around on the island some more, so going back would have been a pain too (what is it with console games and their stupid savegame limits, your game takes 50+ GB but you can't let it have more than what, 50 MB of savegame data?).

In the end that fast-tracked the "kill Kyra's dad" quest, fast forward to the wrap-up "A Night to Remember" and Spartan guy goes "you took the glory and the island (I didn't go along with his plan and never helped him or the Spartans after beginning) and even Kyra (of course I took the flirt option when you go hunting with her) from me :qq:" and all you can do is fight him to the death. And then Kyra is all like ":qq: And of course you killed him (well, I knocked him out but the game didn't accept this so I had to stab him), :qq:, you only brought sorrow over me and my island, gently caress off" in the end. Welp.

It's pretty cool that the game has "consequences" like that but it would be nice if quests came with a warning when they're about to automatically complete or abandon a bunch of other stuff you're currently on. Since Mykonos I basically don't dare to touch the power mechanic at all until I've completed all the gold quests in a zone. At least I didn't seem to miss much by losing two of the three quests Kleon offers in Athens...

And last night I was stumbling on some ruins with mirrors and a tablet pointing out how to use them, there's a chest deep under the island and a golden question mark location I wanted to get to but couldn't figure out how. It's great that searching for "assassins creed odyssey mirror puzzle" immediately brings up spoilerific videos and articles/snippets to what's apparently a main story quest way later (sequence-breaking by completing the puzzle early doesn't seem to be allowed). This is not the first time this happened in this game, if you look up certain people you're immediately greeted by articles and videos on how to take them down because they're cultists. Thanks internet :argh:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Probably. But even though I didn't look it up, I like to assume it gets slightly less depressing if the game's not forcing you to kill a guy just because you didn't do his sidequests :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Some quests/NPCs acknowledge you only knocking out people, and then you have quests where NPCs tell you to be careful and avoid killing, but the objective is "deal with person" and unless you kill the aggressive NPC the quest doesn't advance.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

nice :roflolmao:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Macaluso posted:

So I switched over to fire arrows from poison arrows, and while they are effective, they come with kind of a huge downside: you can't fire the arrows from a bush because they light the drat bush on fire!

That seriously complicated a fort I was doing :v:

Haha this happened to me and it was such a :wtf: moment.

It's kinda neat the game does things like this, though.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
At level 37 I decided to explore the sea and unlock vantage points on every island when I met some level 49 cultist (on one of the late game islands) who I had discovered through clues/the story very early. He was in combat with a group of Spartan soldiers when I arrived and I just watched them kill him, walked over and confirmed the kill.

Much easier than dropping on some guy and having to battle dozens of civilians with knives and four mercenaries at once until eventually running away with a rank 5 bounty and mercenaries 4 levels above mine after me :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

cubicle gangster posted:

The Animus parts are something else.

"You're delirious, you are all hosed up"
"But it's the staff of eestamageesus"
"My God you're right, let's go"

...what? Who wrote the loving script for these parts.
Why are all these people in their early 20's?

Haha after loving around on all the islands for too long I just went back to the main story and arrived at this point last night. I thought I missed a line because I was tired but I guess that's it :v:

Talking about missing something, was it ever explained in game why Daphnae moved out of the Artemis temple in the 2nd zone? I turned in some of the pelts there and went back to collect the last two of them, when I got back to turn those in I realized the quest marker was all the way across the map now, but I didn't see anything indicating why/that she did that.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
After turning in the pelts I followed her to the last "trial" and because it was all happening in one place I didn't check the level of the new sidequest. Then I got 2-shot because fighting level 49 enemies while you're 40 is not smart.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Lambert posted:

They won't do modern day, that's too far from their franchise's core. They have Watch_Dogge for that, and that doesn't sell as well.

It's probably going to be some Alexander the Great thing. If they're doing Japan, they'll be colliding with Ghosts of Tsushima.
To be fair AssCreed is much longer running and Watch Dogs as a series only has one good game after the :mediocre: first installment so far.

Also I hope they go to a meaningfully different place next time. Alexander the Great after Origins/Odyssey would be very boring IMO.

bike tory posted:

I chose to fight her and she said some poo poo about how I'm like queen of the Daughters of Artemis now, but they still all attack me whenever I see them. Does finishing that quest actually not do anything?
Some people claimed they were neutral after but I couldn't test it, I tried the version where you avoid the fight and basically get thrown out of the woods (you can do that at level 40 :v:) but I reloaded and want to do the fight later (I'm only level 45).

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
You also get the crew if take the other option ie. "but I love you, I can't hurt you".

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
While doing the medusa questline the petrified islands got weakened (by scripting - I didn't touch a single fort/soldier) and I decided to defend the current ruler allied with Athens. During the sea battle I destroyed 3 Spartan ships, while fighting the (large) 4th ship I accidentally crashed into a small friendly ship which started chasing me. As the last Spartan ship sank, the conquest battle completed, the entire Athens fleet was chasing me :confused: and now the islands are ruled by Sparta :confused: :confused: while some soldiers from Athens are standing around in the city :confused: :confused: :confused:

Also two things re: that medusa questline, doing the boss fight at 46 is not a good idea and second, I'm starting to get bored by so many quests trying to do ~~~GREEK TRAGEDY~~~ by having your quest giver or the person they sent you to save (or both!) die as a "twist". It's seriously starting to annoy me, for every "save my husband in a pirate camp" quest I've done lately there seem to be two (usually the more elaborate ones) that go "you went through all that and then found them but they're dead" or even "and now everyone is dead".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah I guess that would make sense. While I like the quests overall, there are a lot of similar ones and it's really noticeable if you happen to do the "wrong" quests in sequence. Maybe I accidentally did all the death quests after another but it definitely gets tiring.

Hello misthios, please bring me item/find clues about my lover/friend/spouse who disappeared. Yes now that you went through all that trouble, I'm secretly mad/evil and you need to kill me. If I'm not dead yet, let's go find/talk to my lover/friend/spouse. Oh they're in combat with bad dudes/they're already dead. Maybe I'll even die myself now! Goodbye.

Sure, not every quest should be "and escort person out of fort/cave/camp for happy ending" like in Origins but come on :v: