Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The after credits dark room segment was just pointlessly nasty.

It was inappropriate because Rachel dying 2 years later has nothing to do with this particular story. This was the story of the beginning of Chloe and Rachel's relationship, not the story of their entire relationship, so there was no need to throw Rachel's death into the face of the player.

It would be like ending a romantic comedy with a 10 second scene of one of the characters dying of cancer in a hospital 20 years later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Larryb posted:

In addition to the comic miniseries and Season 2 it might also be nice if one day they went back and did a remastered version of the original Life is Strange (a Switch port would be good as well). That way they'd have a chance to do some bug fixes, update the models so the character's actually emote properly, possibly add some of the scrapped content/dialogue back in along with some of the extras from the mobile version and maybe even toss in some new content if they felt like it. The game still holds up fine for what it is but it could stand for an update in a few areas.

What extras were in the mobile version?

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Stare-Out posted:

Yeah I fumbled the backtalk on the final choice I think and was surprised that it ended more or less okay after all, I don't even know what happens if you nail it, gonna find out on a later playthrough.

You can fail all of the backtalk challenges in the game and it has little effect on anything.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Macaluso posted:

I'm cautious of Vampyr. Like it's made by the LiS people so I have no reason to think it'll be bad, but I'm a much bigger fan of vampire stuff that tries to be campy and silly (True Blood). Whereas this is clearly meant to be SUPER FUCKIN SERIOUS. I'm worried it's going to be TOO DARK AND SERIOUS

Play Yakety Sax on repeat while you play the game. Problem solved.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

redreader posted:

I have this game on steam. I finished all 3 episodes and tried to install the final ep (farewell?) from inside the game. it told me to do it from the steam store. I went to the steam store, to the farewell dlc page and I have no idea how to add it. There's no 'buy' or 'play' or anything option. It seems to not be out? but it said release date march 2018, so it is out? I also tried to right click on the game name and see if everything was installed, and it seemed to be.

Are you sure you don't have it installed already?

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Larryb posted:

Think about it, for Chloe to make that whole heartfelt speech at the end only for Max to go "No, I'm keeping you" is kind of monstrous in a sense and she's basically doing the same thing that Jefferson and his ilk did (deciding her own selfish desires are worth more than the welfare of others). As a result, you're left with a relationship where two people are forced to stay together out of guilt (Chloe has to live with the fact that her life came at the cost of her mom and everyone she knew and loved and Max has to live with the fact that she let it all happen). I just don't think either of them could ever be truly happy in that scenario. Plus, the poor girl's suffered enough throughout the last 5 years of her life and is literally begging for death, why prolong it any further?

The Sacrifice Arcadia choice is objectively terrible and there is no proper defense for it.

"I'm going to let thousands of people die to save one person" is morally indefensible, especially as it's clear that Chloe was meant to die, and has to be re-saved every day as the universe just keeps trying to kill her. The nightmare sequence diner scene, where everyone you know says variations on 'Why did you kill me, Max?", with all the faceless people you don't know outside the diner standing around watching as well, was supposed to be telling you this.

There has been a lot of criticism of the actual ending sequence if you do choose to sacrifice the town, regarding how they generally did a half assed job of that ending while the other one was much longer and more sophisticated. They designed the ending like this because any proper attempt to show you the real ending would have resulted in everyone who picked that ending being unhappy with their choice.

The real Sacrifice Arcadia ending would have meant Max and Chloe going around town after the storm, finding the bodies of all their friends and family. Here's Joyce dead, here's Kate dead, here's Warren dead, here's everyone else dead. Chloe would demand that Max go back and undo all this, would insist that her life isn't worth the deaths of all these people. Chloe and Max feel tremendous guilt over the whole thing, and Chloe never forgives Max.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

internet celebrity posted:

And Max fades to a distant memory because she's an awful friend and ghosted Chloe like the day her dad died.

Yeah, but she was about 12 years old when she did that.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
There's no point in trying to figure out the inconsistencies in age among the various characters of LIS because there is no proper explanation of it.

I think it's rather obvious that some time late in the development of LIS, somebody made the decision to make all of the high school students 18, despite the fact that this doesn't really make sense. Releasing a game with drug use, abortion, sex, and so on amongst underage people was deemed to be a risky move, so the simple fix was to make everyone 18.

They even had to go back and make Nathan 18 during the time when Rachel died, which made Nathan 19 and still in high school during the game.

Lots of clues were accidentally or on purpose left in the game which point to this being true. For example, there is one point in Max's journal where she talks about beginning her junior year at Blackwell. Warren's birthdate would make him 16, according to the file on him in the principal's office.

There's the fact that Blackwell is referred to as a school for seniors, which makes no sense at all because everyone knows Rachel, who went to the school last year. Or the fact that Nathan and Victoria clearly went to the school last year, among others.

Max was meant to be 16 or 17, I'm guessing barely 17.

Having halfassedly made everyone 18 very late in development, there were bound to be all sorts of inconsistencies and there's no point in looking for ingame explanations of them because there are none.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

exquisite tea posted:

There are such things as finishing schools in the US but those are quite rare. Blackwell makes sense as a four year private high school +1 year finishing program without any inconsistencies in the timeline or age of the characters but it’s not worth scrutinizing in any more detail than that.

That explanation doesn't make sense either.

Max's journal starts with the following:

quote:

I GOT ACCEPTED INTO BLACKWELL ACADEMY.

If words could dance this would be a rave. Even though I've never been to one. But who cares because I GOT INTO BLACKWELL ACADEMY, a unique and famous private school for seniors! NO KIDS ALLOWED!

So it's a school exclusively for seniors, no kids allowed, meaning no younger students and no grades below (or above) senior.

Of course, 2 pages later in the journal, it says:

quote:

I feel like burning all my clothes, then just raiding a thrift store to build up a new Max wardrobe over my junior year.

As I said, there is no way to resolve these inconsistencies, it's a puzzle with a bunch of pieces that don't fit together. As it's doubtful they meant to design it that way, this strongly suggests some late development changes which nobody bothered to fully think through.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think there's actually some background stuff in BTS that talks about Blackwell being planned to be made a pure finishing school (as it was in Season 1).

The creators of Before the Storm had a problem, in that Blackwell being a high school only for seniors meant that the school couldn't be featured in their game. Obviously this wouldn't work, everyone wanted the school to be in the game, so they did away with the "school for seniors" idea and had it be a normal high school. They also straight out ignored things like the fact that Victoria wasn't supposed to be there yet (she came to the school for Mark Jefferson), because they wanted her to be in the game.

Once again, there's no point in trying to figure out some ingame cause for the various inconsistencies involved. In BTS, they all stem from "We wanted all these characters here in this high school, so we put them there".

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
So Nathan, who drugged Rachel which lead to her death, scores higher than Eliot, who merely was a bit stalkerish and tried to block Chloe from leaving a room so he could talk at her?

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

BobTheJanitor posted:

Just finished shotgunning all of BtS over the weekend. I'd been putting it off for a while because of the sort of bad taste that the original left in my mouth, for a variety of reasons. In that video linked up the page, where he says that he's not sure if he likes Life is Strange, but he kind of loves it? Yeah, that's spot on. I've ranted enough about my issues with the original game in the old thread, mostly down to the clunky ending and the forced feeling of the final choice, but for context I saved Chloe and never even went back to play the other ending, to this day (I've seen most of it through clips though) which should give you an idea of where I stand on it.

I think the Sacrifice Arcadia Bay ending necessarily couldn't be good. I think the developers had to make it as brief and uninformative as it was because players would be even less happy with seeing what actually happened.

Watching Max and Chloe go around the town and find Warren and Frank and Joyce and Kate and everyone else they knew dead would not have been satisfying for people who chose this ending, especially as Chloe would keep insisting that all of this wasn't right and that Max needed to go back and undo it. I think if you're going to let thousands of people die to save one person, the only way you can handle that is by not looking at the consequences of what you've done, especially given that Max could still go back and fix it at any time.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

BobTheJanitor posted:

My main issue was that the game didn't frame the choice well enough for me to feel convinced, at least going by in-universe information. Sure from a meta sense we know that picking 'ending A' is going to stop the destruction, but from what Max really had to work with, namely Warren's vague theories and her own unreliable nightmare guilt, there was really no reason to think that there was a causal relationship between 'save Chloe' and 'town dead'. It could just as easily be argued that all of it, tornado, birds, whales, moons, weather, and time travel were all in the same bucket labeled 'weird poo poo' and that Max not using her powers would have as much impact on the tornado as catching a falling bird or rolling a whale back into the sea. And even if you accept that time travel leads directly to tornado, you're left with the unavoidable fact that in order to fix it you're being told to use time travel again. I kind of found that suggestion so idiotic that I couldn't ever go back and touch that ending. It ends up being less about time fuckery and more about predestination and some sort of universal vendetta against Chloe in particular. (also, call it an art mistake, but I know tornado country, and that was 'dozens dead' tornado destruction at most, not 'town wiped off the map')

The causal relationship was not between "save Chloe" and "town dead", it was "use of time travel" and "town dead". Going back to let Chloe die means that the entire time line plays out as it was originally meant to.

I'm not sure how much more in-universe information there needed to be to convince the player of this. You had the whales dying, birds dying, visions of the storm, the actual storm, Max's nose bleeds. Perhaps more importantly, you had impossible things happening, like twin moons in the sky or an unexpected eclipse. An unexpected eclipse could only happen if the moon were somehow in the wrong place around the Earth. There was no way that Max's use of time travel was not connected to the other impossible things going on.

It sounds like you wanted some sort of proof that Max's use of time travel was causing the storm, but how could you possibly have had proof of this? Did you want a scene with a distinguished scientist standing in front of a blackboard full of equations and telling you that yes, indeed, use of time travel causes mystical disturbances?

This was not a sci-fi game, there was never going to be any explanation of how Max got her time travel powers, so there couldn't possibly be proof of the idea that Max's time manipulations themselves caused the storm. So without actual proof, the game just gave you lots of hints, and then straight out told you this is what was going on.

My guess is that you didn't like this idea and so refused to accept it.

quote:

From a more meta story perspective, though, I also found the downer endings kind of... weak? Like, telling a story where people deal with fantastic and dangerous circumstances and still come through the other side bloodied, but alive and as better people is interesting, and takes more clever writing finesse to make it work. Not that I wanted a saccharine happily-ever-after ending, but there's a lot of space between that and 'everything is poo poo forever'. Telling a story where bad poo poo happens to good people and their lives are miserable and then they die? That's not hard or interesting, that's just normal, mundane life. If you want to read the story of meaningless suffering, pull up the front page of the New York Times or the Washington Post. I think that's the thing that really disappointed me overall about the ending. I was waiting all game to see how they were going to write a way out for our poor tormented heroes, and it turns out they didn't. Welp.

I didn't find the "Sacrifice Chloe" ending to be a downer ending at all.

If you pick this ending, the game is about (among other things) acceptance of one's limitations, and acceptance of death. When someone dies in real life, we often don't want to accept it. We can endlessly fantasize about how things could have gone differently, about what we could have done differently, if only we made a phone call at the right time or if only he didn't get in the car that day. We can try to live in fantasies of that person still being alive, we can offer prayers or bargains to God to please let them be back in our lives. But in the end, they're still dead, and the only peace we're ever going to get comes from acceptance of this.

Chloe was shot to death by Nathan in the bathroom, and none of Max's time travel powers could save her because there are no time travel powers, and when someone dies they just stay dead forever. The game pretends to give you super powers, to let you play God and mold the universe to your liking, only to show you why this would be a bad thing, and in the end leaves you in the same place that every person is in when someone they love dies.

The emotional tone of the Sacrifice Chloe ending is one of peace and serenity. Max has finally given up her impossible fight and is at peace, though of course she'll miss Chloe, of course she will be sad. And all of this was not for nothing - Max is a changed person as a result of the events of the game. She has grown up. She started a shy girl, uncertain of herself, and by the end, she's a strong young woman.

Life is Strange is an unusual game, it's an unusual story, with themes that we're not used to seeing in western storytelling. We think we're playing one kind of game, and eventually realize it's quite another. We're think we're the superhero valiantly battling the forces of evil, and eventually learn that there are no superheros and we have to just be a person.

Orange Sunshine fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 9, 2018

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Except that's literally the opposite of what occurs? Accepting your limitations by going back in time and erasing all trace of your mistakes in the past week from the time stream isn't accepting your limitations. It's a Hail Mary pass that happens to work for whatever reason.

This is a nitpicky point.

It's a time travel story, so the only way to accept that time travel doesn't work, by the end of the game, is to use time travel one more time, so that afterwards you never did use time travel.

It's kind of like a story where some "bad guy" criminal has a change of heart and decides to join the forces of good at the end. So he has to carry out some action to show that he's on the side of good now, and does something to take out his former partners in crime. Except if you think about it too much you realize that he's using the money or connections of his criminal empire to carry out this final action and really that money should have been turned over to the police or to the people he stole it from or something, but it's just a story and you weren't meant to think about it so closely.

By the end of Life is Strange, either Max accepts that time travel is loving everything up and undoes it all (through one more use of time travel), or lets thousands of people die so that Chloe can go on to live another day. "I've accepted that time travel is loving everything up, so I'm conveniently going to pick this exact moment to never use it again so I can coincidentally keep Chloe alive, and also I'm going to let everyone die so I can learn to live with the consequences of my mistakes" is not any sort of reasonable or responsible decision.

The only way to have a pure ending where Max realizes time travel is loving things up and decides to never do it again even once would be if somehow this happened while Max was already in the past. The story could have been written this way, of course, but this just wasn't necessary and would have produced a much less dramatic ending. The creators of this game wanted it to end on the cliff with the storm coming and Max and Chloe together, not with Max happening to be in the bathroom where Nathan's about to shoot Chloe, trying to send Chloe some kind of message and then realizing that maybe she should just sit behind the stall and do nothing. There's your pure ending, but it wouldn't have been as dramatic or emotional.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

BobTheJanitor posted:

What if Max had no time powers, but just happened to be a bit more assertive and popped out and yelled 'what the gently caress!' as soon as Chloe and Nathan entered the bathroom. Nathan runs off and Chloe lives. Does the town still get sentenced to weather-related doom because Chloe lived? What's the one true timeline now?

Of course, if Max were more assertive it would have gone differently. If it were Chloe(a Chloe who didn't know Nathan) or Victoria in the bathroom looking at the butterfly when Nathan came in, they'd have walked around the corner and said "What the hell are you doing in the girl's bathroom?" and the whole scene wouldn't have happened.

But there's no time travel involved there, and Chloe not dying would be the natural result of what went on and so no tornado would be necessary. The idea (which you refuse to accept even though the game clearly insists on it) is that it is time travel which causes the tornado.

quote:

I've got to refer back to that video posted up the page again, because he really lays down the argument pretty succinctly.

I thought I was playing what he refers to as the 'Lynchian Pyscho-drama' where everything was weird and maybe there were just no rules. And then suddenly the game drops 'no there are definitely rules and they hate you' in your lap, without sufficient justification. The coming-of-age story was window dressing to the wild fantasy story I was playing. Whereas it sounds like you took the coming-of-age story as the primary narrative, and so of course it would end in a hard sacrifice that propels our hero into the world of adulthood. Maybe the two sides on this argument can just never quite understand each other. But it's still fun to argue about. :v:

I've seen his video, and I disagree with his conclusion. I agree that there are two competing stories in the game, but I think the Sacrifice Chloe ending is the proper ending to both stories. He says that the theme of the Lynchian Psychodrama is "learn to accept your mistakes", I believe the theme to this story is "learn to accept your limitations". Halfway through the game, the game completely goes off the rails of the story you thought you were in, at the point where you go back 5 years into the past and change it and restructure reality. This is where Max begins to realize that she's playing God and it is loving everything up. I think the resolution of this story is the realization that none of this is working and she must accept the reality that exists when she doesn't play time lord.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

BobTheJanitor posted:

Brief side note on that, this always felt kind of like contrived bullshit to me, too. Not doing anything conveniently also fixes a whole bunch of other problems. Just as likely that Nathan would have bolted and the ensuing investigation would have gone nowhere as he was protected from repercussions by his evil father, Jefferson would have gone on torturing students, Kate would still die and nothing would improve. At least have the honesty to do something like this in the ending and reduce the criticism that the devs really wanted you to pick one ending over the other. Passivity leading to all problems being fixed isn't only dishonest, it's not only bad writing, but it's also terrible moral to serve as the capstone of your story.

It's a bit contrived, but it makes sense.

Nathan shot Chloe in the bathroom with a hallway crowded with students outside. There's no way he gets away with that. Whether he stands there and freaks out until David Madsen comes in, or takes off running, he's caught either way. No amount of family connections would protect him from that.

Once he's arrested, due to his nature, of course he rolls over on Mr. Jefferson. That is exactly what I would expect of him.

All of this happening would distract Kate from killing herself long enough for it to come out that she was drugged and photographed, and now she's getting huge amounts of attention and nobody's bullying her and she doesn't kill herself.

It all works logically.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

exquisite tea posted:

If this were true then the game would not ask us to do yet another photo jump just this once on the off-chance that everything will just magically work out in the final act. I think if you're seeing the story from Max's point of view, then she's already sacrificed her own health, ambitions and sanity to keep Chloe safe. That's the exchange being made in the Sacrifice Bay ending. She had a world record Any % speedrun going in San Francisco and still didn't hesitate to give all that up to rescue a very much still-dead Chloe in the current timeline. The storm was already set into motion when she intervened to save Chloe's life in the bathroom, letting the town be destroyed five days later is therefore the only reality uncorrupted by further time manipulation.

The game is clearly telling you in every possible way that the storm was caused by Max's time travel. However, I'm going to guess that it was not time travel itself that wreaked havoc with the universe, but changing the past. So perhaps there is a proper timeline, a proper way that things were meant to be, and using time travel to change that causes all sorts of trouble. It might be that if Max traveled around in time but left everything the way it was, she could get away with that. In the Sacrifice Chloe ending, max travels back one last time, but simply uses this to return things to the way they were meant to be.

So it's not time travel that is the problem, it's the use of time travel to play God and manipulate the universe.

Think about it: would you want there to be time travelers living in this world going about loving with everything by changing reality to get what they wanted, or even what they thought was best? Nobody would have any idea what they were doing or had done or what sort of damage was being produced. You might wonder if all the major problems in the world were caused by them. A world with some real Spiderman or Batman or something you might want, as everyone could see what they were doing and whether they were using their abilities for good or bad. Using time travel to change the past by its nature is never anything but manipulative and unpredictable. But a time traveler who merely had some window into the past and looked and never changed anything would be harmless.

All of this is getting way too far into speculation about how time travel works in the game's universe, but if people want to argue with the idea that it's acceptable for Max to travel back in time one last time to undo all of her time travel, this speaks to that.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

BobTheJanitor posted:

Yes. Even if we stipulate that there is a direct causal link between time travel and tornadic destruction, how does that lead to the conclusion 'ergo I must time travel again in order to fix this'? In the Bay ending, you're not undoing all the time travel. Once you're standing by the lighthouse with the storm coming, there is no way to undo the time travel without first doing more time travel. And then you have the very obvious question of 'why is it going to work this time'? Again it comes down to some sort of predestined one true timeline thing, which I can't help but find distasteful. And on that basis you can't argue that time travel leads to a tornado (because there is no way to not have at least some time travel by this point in the story, since Bay rescue is time travel), only that deviating from the timeline that was ordained by some omnipotent rear end in a top hat god leads to punishment.

But there is only one true timeline in real life. That is reality, there appear to be potential futures, but only one of them ever happens, and there's certainly only one past. The ingame idea that time travel is wrong because it messes with the one true timeline goes right along with the fact that this is how it works in real life. A time traveler accepting that they weren't meant to change the timeline is like a real person realizing that they must accept reality as it is and not as they wish it to be.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Milky Moor posted:

Except Max first sees the storm before she changes the past.

Unless you want to say that it just defies causality entirely or something.

We don't know what causes Max's visions. The first one may have been a warning to her of what would be coming if she used her time travel powers. It may be that the storm wasn't coming for sure as of the time of the first vision. It may be that whatever sent the vision knew Max was going to use time travel before Max ever did it. Or who knows what, you could speculate endlessly as to why Max got visions or got time travel in the first place.

About all we can say for sure in terms of the cause of the storm is that going back and restoring the original timeline removed the storm, and nothing else did. Any speculation you want to make on the cause of the storm has to start with this.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

BobTheJanitor posted:

My feeling on finishing the game for the first time was that there must have been some kind of big change in the dev team between episodes 4 and 5. When I later learned that nothing like that really happened, I was pretty surprised. I still remain convinced that there was some kind of meddling in the process, whether intentionally through the publisher or some other outside person with pull to make changes, or just through unforeseen time/budget circumstances that ended up rushing the last episode. Episodes 1 through 4 may waver in quality a bit, but they are all mostly well paced, emotionally charged, consistently written (outside of nitpicks) -- all around good products. Episode 5 is a mess with an atrocious video-gamey time-filling stealth nightmare section, a bunch of people to save who either (are implied to) die or are temporally erased by your final choice, and an abrupt climactic choice that fails entirely to justify its reasoning and becomes more and more nonsensical the longer you think about it.

I'm still wondering if one day we'll get a vindictive former dontnod employee pulling a Marc Laidlaw and posting a blog somewhere with the original ending plans.

The developers have repeatedly said that the script for the entire game was there from the time the first episode came out, and that only minor changes were made along the way. The biggest change they always bring up was the addition of the hospital scene with Kate, which wasn't originally in the game but was added when they realized that players needed to see Kate again. It was easy to add since the hospital set had already been created, as it was originally going to be used for a scene at the end of the game which they decided against. Originally, after David rescues Max from the dark room, he takes her to a hospital to get checked out, and then from there she goes to the diner to find warren. The hospital scene in episode 5 was taken out (and clearly was decided to be taken out long before episode 5 came out) because it just didn't add much to the game.

There's an interview with the developers I've seen on youtube where they say that the binary end game choice was planned from the very beginning, and that the whole game was designed to lead to that.

On the other hand, there's a popular fan theory which says that the developers were running out of money by chapter 5 and had to cut corners. We don't really have much evidence for this, but it would explain things like Nathan dying off camera and just not appearing in chapter 5, and the unnecessarily long nightmare sequence which might have been extended to replace other more costly scenes.

If the fan theory is right, we might have seen Nathan in chapter 5 and a much shorter nightmare sequence, but I think the ending choice was always going to be what it is. Perhaps the Sacrifice Arcadia Bay ending wouldn't have been so short and crappy, and players would indeed get to see Max and Chloe driving around to look at all the dead bodies.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Milky Moor posted:

That's the thing, though. I'd say during the development process they dropped the Prescott Stuff Plot (because, hoo boy, there's a lot of it) and decided to focus just on Chloe and Max and their relationship.

That or the writers had red herrings for dinner one evening.

Or, like a lot of media around that time, they just wanted Big Questions that would keep the audience guessing. Wow, is this weird Vortex Club that Mr Prescott wants to keep open related to the giant tornado? Endless speculation for everyone, etc. etc.

But my personal feeling is they basically wrote for seven or so episodes when they had five.

The game is full of red herrings, to distract the players and keep them from figuring out Mr. Jefferson's involvement and the ending.

The whole Sean Prescott thing is a red herring. David Madsen is a red herring. Samuel's odd speech and girl stuff he keeps in his storeroom is a red herring. All of them make it difficult to predict what happens at the end of the game, and especially serve to throw everyone off the track from suspecting Jefferson.

They worked very well, the collective audience didn't just figure everything out ahead of time as the episodes were released. The downside is that players developed all these elaborate theories of what was going to happen next, which turned into conspiracy theories that there is a "real ending" out there which was stolen from them.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Most of the ideas people have as to how more stories could be written in the Arcadia Bay LIS universe are terrible and would result in uninteresting games that wouldn't sell. Here are a few non terrible ones, although I don't believe Dontnod will ever return to these original characters or location:

1: Max and Chloe ride out of of the devastated Arcadia Bay and get in new adventures. We're going to assume here that Chloe doesn't continue to die every day, since that would just make this new season a repeat of the previous one. Some new interesting story could be told using these two characters in a different location, and there are endless possibilities here. Max, of course, still has time travel powers.

2: Max continues on in her life with Chloe dead. The interesting story here is that she's still Max Caulfield the Time Lord, but she refuses to use her powers since the last time she did it brought a massive tornado in that almost destroyed the whole town, and she's clearly accepted the fact that she was not meant to use those powers. And then something happens which leads to her finding out why she got the powers in the first place, and what she was truly meant to use them for. Perhaps the universe lets her use time travel without wreaking havoc, as long as she uses it as intended.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Larryb posted:

Failing the Backtalk with Steph during the first D&D game in BtS is also kind of hilarious and choosing "That's it?" during the conversation with David and Joyce in Episode 3 will actually cause Chloe to bring up some good points regarding his behavior (all of which just get brushed off of course). Finally, in Farewell try looking at the flowers again after looking at Bongo's grave. You'll be given the option to take one and put it on said grave, which changes the picture Chloe draws at the end.

You can fail all of the backtalk challenges and still complete the game, there's no need to win any of them. Failing the first one (trying to get past the bouncer) is kind of funny, because the game is trying to teach you how to do the backtalk minigame and so has flashing words on the screen directing you towards the right answers. You really have to want to fail that one.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

BobTheJanitor posted:

Even with that, when he shows up at the Amber house to get in the way, my reaction was more one of annoyance that he was interrupting the storyline with his bullshit. You could have extracted him from the game entirely without changing anything. He either needed to be more involved in the story, or not there at all.

That was everyone's reaction to the stalker scene with Eliot. "Jesus, get the gently caress out of the way you idiot, I have things to do".

Eliot's entire character was pointless and added nothing to the game.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

exquisite tea posted:

Everyone shut the gently caress up about Eliot and watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3jQYE_LLGo

Needs more bottle collecting.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Let's see if I can get this image to post:

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
That's from here:

https://twitter.com/morningtheft/status/1002332440076038145?s=21

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

exquisite tea posted:

Ah okay, here we go. It's a free self-contained prequel episode that will tie into the events of Life is Strange 2. Awesome!

http://lifeisstrange-blog.tumblr.com/post/174764161880/announcing-the-awesome-adventures-of-captain

I'm not sure that it actually is a prequel. I'm not sure what it is. Here's a quote from the announcement you linked to:

quote:

The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit is the first step towards showing you the true potential of Life is Strange, and the possibilities of a diverse universe filled with interesting characters and stories to tell. With it, we have created a self-contained narrative experience that’s brimming with content – the deeper you dig, the more you will discover. While this demo is designed in the usual Life is Strange way and allows you plenty of time to explore everything, it is at the same time structurally different to previous entries. You will most likely see and discover new content on subsequent playthroughs which you might have previously missed. And there are some secrets that may very well take a coordinated group of fans to unravel…

We can’t wait for you to uncover the secrets of this adventure together as a community, and we’re really looking forward to reading all your theories about The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit and how it might relate to Life is Strange 2.

Self contained story, designed to be difficult to find all the content so that players have to work together to find it all, and "how it might relate to Life is Strange 2".

I'm intrigued by this whole thing, but from this announcement it's impossible to know exactly what this thing is. It does not look like this is just a straight out prequel, and I think it's highly likely that Chris, the player character of this free episode, will not be the player character of LIS 2.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Here's an article which contains a large amount of information about the Captain Spirit LIS game.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-06-10-25-minutes-with-life-is-strange-2s-brilliantly-unexpected-free-prequel

Warning, it contains spoilers, I suppose, so if you don't want any details of what the game will be about, don't read it.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Orange Sunshine posted:

Here's an article which contains a large amount of information about the Captain Spirit LIS game.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-06-10-25-minutes-with-life-is-strange-2s-brilliantly-unexpected-free-prequel

Warning, it contains spoilers, I suppose, so if you don't want any details of what the game will be about, don't read it.

One bit of info which isn't a spoiler, for those who don't want to read this article:

The game takes place 3 years after the events of Life is Strange season 1, in the town of Beaver Creek, Oregon.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Larryb posted:

So, based on the information in the article and the fact that it takes place 3 years after Season 1 I wonder if it means that Sacrifice Chloe is canon then?

What from the article makes you think this?

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Larryb posted:

The fact that it stated that Chris' mom went to Blackwell and there's a letter from Principal Wells you can find, which would imply that the school (and by association Arcadia Bay) was still standing. Though I suppose it could be an older letter or that there were some survivors from the storm and the town was rebuilt during the 3 years between games. Like I said, you could probably still go either way with this.

It could just as well go the opposite direction. There's a theory already popped up on reddit's LIS board which says that Chris' mother may have died in the storm, which would make the Sacrifice Arcadia ending canon.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Larryb posted:

Of course, just because we know there's a connection between the two games now doesn't necessarily mean that we'll be seeing Chloe, Max, etc. pop up later in LiS 2 but you never know. I'm guessing that Chris is definitely going to be involved in Season 2 even if he's not the main character (as another poster stated, maybe he'll wind up being the Chloe of that game or something).

Keep in mind that this prequel is set 3 years after the events of season 1. This means Chris will still be a little boy in season 2.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Larryb posted:

Interesting idea, but I doubt it considering they also said that some of your actions in Spirit will have consequences in LiS 2 (in fact, apparently this entire game was originally going to be part of Season 2 but they decided to make it it's own thing instead). But you never know.

Looks like you just definitively settled that question.

So LIS2 will take place somewhere between 2016 and 2018, unless you want to imagine that it will take place in the future, which is silly and won't happen.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

precision posted:

How many times do I have to say that I'm not referring to the teenagers or their slang, I'm referring to things like when adults say something totally normal but the way they phrase the dialogue sounds unnatural.

I'm not referring at all to the "hella" slang etc.

Give an example.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Larryb posted:

So, it looks like Chris not only lives but may wind up being our LiS 2 protagonist after all (the game even ends with a "To Be Continued" before the credits).

As for Bae seemingly being canon, while it's kind of a shame that Chloe ultimately got denied her Big drat Hero moment, this has a lot more story potential and it's also the ending that the upcoming comic is apparently going with as well.

Also if anyone's trying to find the game on PSN it's listed as a demo under Life is Strange 2 Complete Season.

It's really doubtful that Chris will be the main character of season 2.

We see that Chris' father works has a job having to do with trains. There's this major reference to backpacks in the season 2 promo, to an old beat up looking backpack. The main character is likely going to be someone who backpacks around and who met Chris' father that way while riding a train.

Also, Chris is a 10 year old boy and so won't be the main character. The interview with the writers of LIS where they talk about Captain Spirit makes it sound like he was a minor character that they wanted to show a bit more of, not that he was the main character of season 2.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Larryb posted:

Yeah, that was kind of a shame (I would have liked something, even if it was only a little teaser that was just a few seconds long). But it seems like we'll finally be getting some information by August at the very latest.

Also, another possibility regarding the ending (though this is probably a long shot) Chris actually died when he fell and the Captain Spirit title just became literal. As such, the protagonist of LiS 2 is actually the boy we saw in the ending and Chris' ghost will be his companion. I kind of doubt it though.

Also near as I can tell, Chris was voiced by an actual young boy. Which is kind of cool to be honest.

Chris fell about 5 feet onto snow. I don't think he'd even be injured by that.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Larryb posted:

That aside, while I know the pin code for the phone now ("hawtdawg" spelled out using the numbers on a phone), is there any actual way for the player to figure it out on their own (like something around the house you can look at or something)?

You aren't meant to solve the phone pin code on your own.

The developers said that there were going to be things that the players had to work on together to solve. My guess is they were hoping it would take us longer to solve the phone pin code than it did. People figured it out the day it came out.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Larryb posted:

That was it, it shows you the street sign for a second or two before he passes out. You must have just missed it (as far as I know the costume itself is purely cosmetic and choosing different options for it doesn't really effect anything that much).

Also for the moment I'm assuming Bae is canon solely because of the Mark Jefferson book on the shelf (as mentioned earlier, unless it'd just been sitting there for a while I doubt you'd keep the photo collection of a convicted felon around for very long), not to mention the fact that the upcoming comic seems to be going in that direction as well..

And yes, this series is basically a tribute to human misery (yet at the same time also goofy as gently caress), that's part of the reason why I love it so much.

Not necessarily. The book is sitting on a bookshelf, where it could have been basically forgotten. It belonged to Chris' mother, who is dead. Chris' father may not know anything about the book. Given that he downs a bottle of whiskey first thing in the morning, he's probably not too focused on the little details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
From https://metro.co.uk/2018/06/19/the-awesome-adventures-of-captain-spirit-preview-and-interview-life-is-strange-too-7644552/

quote:

GC: So is Captain Spirit classified as a prequel to Life Is Strange 2?

LB: Hmm… I wouldn’t say that. We’ve kept the same team to create Life Is Strange 2, as Life Is Strange 1, and when we began to think about Life Is Strange 2 we created a new story and new characters and Captain Spirit and Chris is one of them. So it’s more an introduction to the Life Is Strange 2 story. And also, as it is free, it’s a perfect introduction to the type of game we are creating. As not all players know about adventure games or are not interested, so the idea was to show what the type of game we want to create is.

GC: Will Chris be in the actual sequel itself?

LB: Yeah, he will be one of… in the story.

GC: You almost said too much then!

LB: [laughs]

• Locked thread