Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
  • oh
  • poo poo
  • uspol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

lol this guy played into the dudebro stereotype so much he forgot that it was a stereotype

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

logosanatic posted:

theres no situation where a homeless person does anything but destroy a property and spread feces all over the walls. they are homeless for a reason. the few times ive sat down with homeless people to feed them and talked to them about helping them turn their life around ive anecdotally learned that its all substance abuse based. and theyre ok enough with their life. they have stolen cell phones they can connect to burger king wifi and scrounge together some food and money for drugs. sometimes the woman talk about wantint different life but cant kick the habit. the men just dont care

im down with a program that gives homeless people care though.

:extremely kramer voice and kramer mannerisms and just kramering everywhere:

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Dead Reckoning posted:

Unfortunately, the drastically reduced number of homeless in Utah's count has more to do with changing the way homeless are counted than anything else. Don't get me wrong, we should be looking for a way to hook the homeless up with permanency and a stake in the community where possible, but most of the chronically homeless have a whole spectrum of issues that a fixed address won't resolve.

interestingly, as already noted, a fixed address for a homeless person seems to solve the problem of homelessness.

incredibly, this allows the previously-homeless to then focus on and receive help for their other issues, such as 'schizophrenia', or 'addicted to substance abuse' or 'suffering ptsd' or 'victim of domestic violence'.

homelessness is typically the outer shell of a matryoshka doll of awful garbage. your dumb statement is akin to disregarding needles because the antibiotic in the barrel is more effective.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

Well poo poo don't they already have a ton of stuff to rebuild from Irma?

this is probably going to leave half a million people without power for a year or something insane

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

AriadneThread posted:

it's a grand investment opportunity to construct a wide swath of hurricane resistant infrastructure and buildings!

hmm let me run this through the trumpenator 4000 right fast

and...

there. there it is

AriadneThread posted:

it's a grand grifting opportunity to provide quotes in exchange for deposits for rebuilding infrastructure and buildings, then move on to the next island before the work is begun!

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

QuoProQuid posted:

i have news on the future of the democratic party:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CDfhFfKSohc

:suicide:

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

theflyingorc posted:

this is so goodbad

had to have been crossposted from the schadenfreude thread

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Calibanibal posted:

Guys... just dont eat lead? Whats so hard about this

every 10 minutes a child gets high af huffing lead fumes straight out the pipe smh

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

ya but enough about you what's up with that tweet

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

oshit are we havin' a kaledown

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

someone who was selling a song of hope and obviously had no intention of following through.

this is a hilariously disingenuous characterization of the dude's political career lol

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I am concerned that we're doing a repeat of the election news coverage failure where each new Trump thing (right now, the sports protests) manages to eat up so much of our national discourse that we can't resolve other huge problems (Puerto Rico is destroyed, we're spiraling toward war with NK).

How the hell have we not learned our lesson here?

hot take comin' through. do you have a solution or just want to whine about how people of color, and social injustice spearheaded by the president is getting the most airtime today.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Fraction Jackson posted:

5 years ago ISIS was on the rise, the Syrian Civil War was in full swing, the Lord's Resistance Army, Boko Haram, and FARC were still functional organizations, and Operation Pillar of Defense happened, among other things.

Nazis are real bad and it's really terrifying that they are getting as strong as they are but the continuum of violence is not limited to a scale of how many active Nazis there are, unfortunately.

not to mention the exponential rate of medical research and implementation of more precise distribution improving the lives of the third world, thereby reducing dramatically the deaths from communicable disease. that has, you know, increased rapidly in effectiveness even in the last five years.

lol

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Boon posted:

Just admit you made a stupid statement so that you could once again 'otherize' everyone who doesn't constantly declare themselves leftist and move on Condiv, jesus.

nah, better to gently caress this graph i found that only attempts to negate one leg of the argument I am attempting to dispute, spuriously, than admit i would ever be wrong

this from the dude that like a month ago applauded me for having the wherewithal to admit i had a bad thought and typed a bad thing lol

skylined! fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 27, 2017

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Condiv posted:

and those sources do show that 5 years ago, in 2012, things weren't as bad as they are now, and that 2012 was actually a low point for certain kinds of violence

if you want me to prove that violence in total was less in 2012 than in 2017, well you're asking me to do a full on study to prove my point while happily claiming you're right without having provided a shred of evidence

correct me if i'm wrong, but this video doesn't address violence at all?

you made a statement and then scrambled to cherry pick data to support it

it's really obvious and i forgive you for the inevitable apology you owe the to idea of intellectualism and rigorous thought

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

2008 was demonstrably a better year to argue in favor of lol holy poo poo

you made an appeal to your own emotion and backpedaled to find data, and did so poorly

http://economicsandpeace.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/GPI-2016-Report_2.pdf

page 22

edit: also compare this to all of human history and the deviations over the last decade are almost within a margin of error

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Peachfart posted:

Wow, I honestly didn't expect Condiv to quadruple down on his dumb post.
You know, you can just say 'I was wrong' and then everyone stops caring, right?

ahahahaha i reiterate, he congratulated me on my courage the last time i did just this in the dems are bad thread

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Condiv posted:

i was wrong about 2012 according to this study, but not wrong about now being the least violent time in history (or near history)...

i mean, i'm not a historian nor do i study world conflict for a living so i'm glad i was right in the general thrust of my argument (well, in a sense)

i also complemented heck yes loam and peachfart in that thread too

we are living in the most peaceful time in human history. this is not debatable in the face of any reasonable evidence. a 2-3% shift in the last decade in either direction does not compare at all to the shifts measured in tens and hundreds over the last few centuries. the deviation is not meaningful if your goal is to disprove obamas statement. it is pure pedantry for the sake of attacking the man and it the statement. it is pungently obvious.

if you want to argue that this could all change rapidly with who is currently leading the world, ya sure we are on a precipice. but that's not the direction you took, is it?

you are missing the point re: me laughing at you - it is condescending, not admirable, and suggests an inability to self reflect, to compliment someone on their ability to admit an error in and admit their error, and then not be willing to do it yourself.

skylined! fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 27, 2017

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Condiv posted:

i wasn't arguing this though? i dunno why you guys keep trying to expand my argument well beyond its scope (other than you desperately want to claim i'm wrong)

well i mean you just proved me right better than i could myself, so thanks for that. I also admitted I was wrong wrt 2012.

you didn't have an argument beyond obama bad, world violent until you googled evidence to support what you concluded in response to obamas statement and not the evidence available.

quote:

as for me complimenting you being condescension, that's just silly. that would mean i can't compliment people for traits i lack, even if i think they are good traits

ya you're a lost cause. good luck!

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

sorry for my part in the derail

https://twitter.com/bbcjamescook/status/912747165545488386

:allbuttons:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Majorian posted:

It's unsettling how much this type of rhetoric appeals to a lot of Americans. gently caress bipartisanship forever.

there is no reason the center left and far left can't reach across the aisle

• Locked thread