Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

haveblue posted:

Which thread has the dogs

Should you eat dogs. Should dog consumption be regulated by the government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Neurolimal posted:

I think the biggest hurdle to an actual technocratic rule is the fact that science and objective fact is not actually apolitical, and there does not exist an apolitical human being, let alone politician. At best a 'technocratic' leader would just use cherry-picked experts to support their decisions ala Chicago/Austrian economists.

Even in the best scenario facts will arise that the leaders just refuse to agree with, like Austerity destroying economic growth.

That sounds like an extremely vast improvement over what we have. I'd vote every time for the chicago school party over the australian school party but even just having academic frameworks behind stuff instead of "I don't know, just do whatever" would be a huge upgrade to what we have.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

galagazombie posted:

I'm not so sure. With the Catholic Church there was a singular, centralized organization to investigate and direct righteous fury at. The nature of American Evangelicalism makes it real easy to write off the heinous acts of any random micro-denomination as "My Denomination isn't like that!"

Also the catholic church has the weird "you must never have sex with anyone your whole life" rules for priests That probobly both attracts and creates sex weirdos.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

The Muppets On PCP posted:

evangelical churches have no shortage of sex pests

Yeah, I'm sure a lot of structures of power have a lot of sex problems, but the catholic church has a special added level by adding "also you must never have sex or masturbate ever for your entire life" to really ramp it up.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

DrNutt posted:

Oh man. If Marvel ever has the balls to kill Frank Castle for good, I hope they replace him with a black woman. So many right wing nutters heads would explode.

Is that a referance to

?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Inescapable Duck posted:

They already did a woman Punisher too, in the Mangaverse. I think either something got lost in translation or just got weird given she used a whip.

Don't get your hopes up either way; the pattern has been that minority replacements for popular characters are poorly written, rejected by the fans and eventually unceremoniously killed off or written out and never brought up again.

Hispanic blue beetle is the first blue beetle anyone cared about (or black green lantern)

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Koalas March posted:

+ Miles Morales has a big fanbase, as does Ms Marvel

Yeah, I think comics in general do kinda okay telling stories by reaching out to different demographics. They aren’t anywhere close to perfect but as nerd media goes comics got actually kinda okay at some minimal level of diversity compared to how it was in the 90s.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

DrNutt posted:

Lol no, I had no idea this even existed but now my sides hurt from laughing so hard.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Democrazy posted:

despite the fact that they are less than an hour away from one another and just outside Washington, DC.

Why would being an hour away make things the same? Tribeca is like .5 miles from harlem and you can take a subway between the two in like a minute. Different sort of places are always physically close near cities. Being an hour away might as well be a billion miles in city terms.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
shutting down the government over things is stupid and bad and now that the republicans have thought it up doesn't mean now it has to be a democrat thing too. Blaming democrats for things republicans are doing is what people always say fox news mind control does to people, it doesn't need to be a thing democrats say too.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Badger of Basra posted:

Shutting down the government is a tactic and DACA is a good reason to use it imo

Treating the government as some weak needless thing and making it's services random and untrustworthy by mostly punishing rank and file random government workers is like the most right wing plan imaginable. It doesn't hurt your enemies in any way to shut down the government, they generally hate and seek to shut down the exact list of things that would be shut down.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
My perfect plan to harm the republicans: lets shut down the smithsonian and halt food inspection programs, next we will stop political asylum applications for immigrants and end WIC. We will definitely have them on the ropes then! The right wing will be BEGGING to do what we ask once the head start program becomes unfunded and the people processing social security applications are working without paychecks!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.fbc2df11f3e3

It's such a no brainer for those democrats to support a shutdown! We kill children, republicans back down, because we all know republicans love children getting government health care.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Cerebral Bore posted:

The suggestion that the GOP are stealth anarchists is kind of a new one, tbf.

The suggestion is that the parts of the government legally marked as "non essensial" is a lot more democratic darlings than republican ones. And a threat of "government shutdown (but mostly the stuff republicans didn't like anyway)" is not the ultra super trump card against a republican congress that it is against the a democratic congress.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

karthun posted:

Most of homeland security is immune to a shutdown.

The list of "things the government shutdown actually harms" and the list of "stuff republicans want to shut down" are like a near perfect circle.

Like the only thing I can find that isn't on the list of "things republicans would cut anyway" is that eventually the government shutdown would impact the ability to get certain gun licences.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Cerebral Bore posted:

So why haven't they done it already, ya dingus?

The whole existence of this whole weird mechanism where we need to vote to pay the funding we already agreed to pay that doesn't exist in any other country is because republicans like this mechanism because the labels of "essential" and "non essential" lined up with their pre-existing wishes so well. Republicans wanting this to happen and it to be democrats that shut down or defund their own programs is like the main thing they want to happen.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

GreyjoyBastard posted:

you're sort of stretching the definition of immune

They are literally immune, ICE is marked as essential and will continue getting funding. It's the people processing social security applications that are "non essensial"

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Mornacale posted:

Honestly, I feel like if you don't think Dems can win the PR battle on "tried to save children from disease and the destruction of their families" then it's time to start giving up on democracy in America and start planning to murder as many Republicans as you can get away with.

Tried to save them by stopping veterans benefits and stopping kids cancer treatments. A winning formula

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Why is there a weather website called weather underground?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

FilthyImp posted:

Part of me feels like this was a result of offloading the financing of fancy new sports/gym/recreation area to student funds -- making the average dorm and school facilities look like crap in comparison.

I don't know about colleges and certainly not about fancy college funding but for the rest of education funding is so weird and piecemeal and based on "this is government funding/this was a donation/this is a one time boon/this is unreliable but might come/this is a grant" types of funding with so many different requirements on how it should be used that it's often super possible to not have a lot of absolute control on what is or isn't approved and it's super easy to end up in a situation where you got 75,000 dollars to build a new hotdog stand shed while the roof is falling down and no way to fix it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I like how super obvious it is that it was super important to figure out a way to hate Oprah for some reason ahead of time if she was going to run for president and no one could come up with anything specific so "she's a rich woman" became the generic fallback.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
People always put a weird priority on being like double extra mad at rich people that own visible companies that make particular products (usually especially if they dislike the product) vs the rich people that own the sort of giant conglomerates and investment schemes that actually hurt society most.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Oh Snapple! posted:

"Space exploration on the part of a private, profit-driven entity is inherently evil" is probably the most accurate way to put it.

I think you will find that if it flipped and space exploration was publicly funded by tax dollars that the argument would be that is also a waste and really it's just spending money on space that is for some reason specifically evil and people need to spend money only on moral things like movies about space that have similar budgets to real space launches but do not require huge discussions on if they were a valid use of funds.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Space is mad cool though.

Actually it turns out it's uniquely sinful and all money privately or publicly spent on it should have been spent otherwise. This is not a concept you need to apply to anything else consistently, only mention it regularly for space.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Talking about basically anything but like murderers or something in terms of "evil" in any sort of serious way is super dumb and dorky

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If it really bothers you, find/replace all uses of "evil" in this thread with "immoral" and nothing changes substantively.

I mean, it's not a forbidden word or anything, calling things evil as a quick shorthand is fine. But having an actual discussion on if oprah winfrey is "good" or "evil" is like a conversation a little kid would have.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

The Kingfish posted:

Serious discussions about good and evil are for children

If you can have a discussion about a black woman born in the 1950s that was raped by family members until she got pregnant at 13 who then became one of the first black news anchors and then later became a billionaire via a tv show that sometimes supported pseudoscience and that discussion easily settles into anything as simple as "she's evil" in any serious way then yeah, that is really really dumb.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Kraftwerk posted:

Okay that sounds good to me. Yeah I'm super confused why billionaires don't commit more of their money to eliminating certain problems for mankind.

I mean if I had 50 billion dollars I'm sure I could live like a loving KING and still have enough money left over to resolve at LEAST one major problem afflicting society... (energy, healthcare etc...)

Isn't that Bill Gates whole thing now?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

That is a totally benign statement that people are reading in the most bad faith way possible to try and make it say something he really clearly isn't saying.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Lightning Knight posted:

Tacit endorsements of ethnic cleansing "because (I think) the Bible says so" is not "a totally benign statement," hth.

That sure is a weird and extreme bad faith reading

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Lightning Knight posted:

His literal statement is "we think we deserve to run this place because the Bible says so, and the Muslims don't believe in the Bible and won't let us have it without a fight, so that's why there's not peace." Which even with the best faith reading is still a monumentally stupid reading of the history of the I/P conflict.

That isn't his literal statement, that is a thing you typed then put quotes around.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Lightning Knight posted:

So tell us, galaxy brain, what the good faith reading of this statement is.

"our claim to this place is our religion says so, not everyone follows that religion though"

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Raskolnikov38 posted:

"God said we get to have an apartheid state"

I mean that is literally what happened.

"I am going to tear the kingdom out of Solomon’s hand and give you ten tribes. 32 But for the sake of my servant David and the city of Jerusalem, which I have chosen out of all the tribes of Israel, he will have one tribe. 33 I will do this because they have forsaken me and worshiped Ashtoreth the goddess of the Sidonians, Chemosh the god of the Moabites, and Molek the god of the Ammonites, and have not walked in obedience to me, nor done what is right in my eyes, nor kept my decrees and laws as David, Solomon’s father, did.34 “‘But I will not take the whole kingdom out of Solomon’s hand; I have made him ruler all the days of his life for the sake of David my servant, whom I chose and who obeyed my commands and decrees. 35 I will take the kingdom from his son’s hands and give you ten tribes. 36 I will give one tribe to his son so that David my servant may always have a lamp before me in Jerusalem, the city where I chose to put my Name."

But he is saying it's not that simple and not everyone follows that bible.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Lightning Knight posted:

He's framing it implicitly as a clash of civilization, and excising all of the sociopolitical and economic aspects of the story in the process. The story of Israel is the story of colonization and subjugation of non-white peoples as much as it is the story of a clash of religious beliefs.

Hmm yes, it's almost like you could say that the bible story is very simple and very clear and absolute but not everyone follows that religion and that is why there can be fighting about it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Lightning Knight posted:

Hmm yes, it's almost like it's dishonest to even center the Bible when discussing the I/P conflict when it's not actually the core of the conflict.

Literally the statement is saying the torah can't be the end of the discussion because some people don't follow it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

VitalSigns posted:

The implication then, is if Palestinians began believing in that Bible story, they'd happily sign over their land and line up in front of the ovens?

It's almost like claims made on religious biases exist in a world where not everyone is the same religion and that is why it's not as simple as pointing to a clear answer in a religious text.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

The new proposal, going by that post, appears to be "government covers 80%", which if applied across the board could be a big cut in services. Is that for Part A, or just Part B, or what?

Seems like 80% is if you are making over 500% poverty level.

https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/healthcare/reports/2018/02/22/447095/medicare-extra-for-all/

For families with income up to 150 percent of the federal poverty level (FPL), premiums would be zero.9
For families with income between 150 percent and 500 percent of FPL, caps on premiums would range from 0 percent to 10 percent of income.
For families with income above 500 percent of FPL, premiums would be capped at 10 percent of income.

The average share of costs covered by the plan, or “actuarial value,” would also vary by income. For individuals with income below 150 percent of FPL, the actuarial value would be 100 percent—meaning these individuals would face zero out-of-pocket costs. The actuarial value would range from 100 percent to 80 percent for families with middle incomes or higher.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

That's cost of premiums, not "cost sharing," i.e, "the hospital billed us at $100,000 per day, you were there three days, we only have to pay 20% of that, now we have to sell the house."

From what I can tell so far it seems like this is something that the current "Medicare Extra" proposal is vague on; it seem to be implying that it's mostly talking about Medicare Part B (which currently has a 20% or so "cost sharing", speaking roughly), but there's a lack of clarity on what it would do to Medicare Part A (which covers hospital stays almost entirely, after a deductible).

The stuff it says explicitly about cost:

"Medicare Extra would provide comprehensive benefits, including free preventive care, free treatment for chronic disease, and free generic drugs. "

and

"The average share of costs covered by the plan, or “actuarial value,” would also vary by income. For individuals with income below 150 percent of FPL, the actuarial value would be 100 percent—meaning these individuals would face zero out-of-pocket costs. The actuarial value would range from 100 percent to 80 percent for families with middle incomes or higher."

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Condiv posted:

looking this guy up, he's already very right wing

the guardian wants "centrists" to work with parties even further to the right than him?

It's a clickable link, you can read the article.

It's saying that if the guy in power stays in power there might not be another real election after this one, and that there is no viable candidate running against him except another right wing guy who is around 50% of the possible vote. So you would be better voting for that guy and taking a bad couple years over a guy that might literally end democracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Cerebral Bore posted:

Yeah, because the literal neonazi party is sure to respect democracy once they're in power.

They won't respect anything, they won't have the party numbers to enact the stuff the majority party guy would have either. They aren't electing a king. (unless the guy who has enough votes to push constitutional changes wins, then they are)

• Locked thread