Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Dongattack posted:

When you establish a pirate cove via attacking the settlement you get a lot of money too, does this count as sacking the settlement in gameplay terms? Is it boosted by +% sacking reward skills?

I don't know the answer but either way you can make more money by sacking the settlement then immediately building a cove on the same turn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

cool av posted:

This one is unsolvable, isn't it?

Wouldn't it just be the 2 red dots? The southwest/northeast corners are mirrors of each other with inverted colors so the northwest/southeast ones should be too :shrug:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

I think the trouble with making another fantasy total war is that it would probably compare poorly to Warhammer and its kitchen sink approach to fantasy. Warhammer was practically made for total war style shenanigans in a way most other fantasy settings just aren't.

The only thing that could challenge it would be something bugfuck insane like an official version of Planet War Total War.

This is how I sell people on the game if they're not sure. Despite all of its flaws it's alarmingly close to a perfect war game. There aren't many major fantasy tropes that aren't playable, and very few are merely "playable", most of them are fleshed out and feel totally distinct. There's very little to complain about in the moment to moment gameplay and the only truly major negative mark I can give it is for the AI being predictable and easy to counter once you understand its decision making. It's the ideal blend of playing with action figures in the sandbox as a kid and a compelling reason to keep playing with them as an adult.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Samuari vs Orcs is pretty good optics TBF, cant go wrong there

This is right next to "Aliens with laserguns vs. knights in mirrored armor" on my list of cool poo poo

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Seams posted:

Beastmen are never getting an update. We’ll all be playing Warhammer: Total War VIII in pristine VR after the thirteenth Skaven DLC and they’ll still have the lovely Waagh mechanic and the the worst unit roster in the game.

Beastmen got the only update they need in SFO :colbert:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

That janky custom faction blender mod (OvN) is great and awful. It has an all-troll faction that's the polar opposite of the other factions; almost no researches or buildings and a tiny unit roster - but one of the units is the Troll (Bone Thrower), their only non-infantry unit. Imagine a squad of 12 javeliners with 130 range and the added bonus of every javelin being an AoE armor-piercing artillery shell that does 44AP/20Normal damage to the target and 25AP/20Normal damage to about 1/3 of their unit. Also they're well-armored, have missile resistance, and regenerate passively.

4 units of them literally ragdolled a Tomb Kings skeleton army and sent bones and shields clattering all over the map

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I have hundreds of hours played in this and other Total War games but some really ignorant questions, I only play Singleplayer campaign and I feel like I'm often hamstringing myself by not understanding some unit types/abilities.

1) Vanguard Deployment. I have never found a use for this, it seems like any time I separate my vanguard units from my main forces, the AI makes a beeline for wherever they are. Big enemy stacks move in a huge sweeping line that will uncover any hidden units before reaching my main forces and small enemy stacks seem to just beeline for whatever forest I would hide the vanguard units in. Is there anything I can do with vanguard deployment other than turn units into essentially sacrifices to draw off part of the enemy force before the engagement? Yes I'm disabling fire at will, making sure they're hidden, etc - I can just never find a spot to deploy them that would be useful but that the AI doesn't check before engaging me. Also a really ignorant add-on question here but am I right in feeling like units should never hide deep in forests, but instead right at the forest edge and charge out before the enemy reaches the forest? Fighting inside forests usually gets me killed, have definitely learned my lesson with having archers try to shoot from inside forests :v:

2) Missile Cav/chariots: what am I missing here? They're weaker ranged units (or at least lower model count, so less damage output overall) that can flank better than standard archers, and yeah having like one unit of eagle-riding archers can be nice just for the mobility they can offer if I suddenly need arrows going somewhere I can't reach otherwise, but when and why would I choose them over just another unit of standard archers that will be cheaper and put out more damage/kills?

3) Flying units. I kind of get these and in certain circumstances see their value. I primarily use them to pick off routing units before they can rally and come back. Smaller/weaker ones with high model count like harpies I will smash into enemy archers to tie them up and often win 1v1 fights against them, bigger ones like manticores I will do that unless the enemy has a lot of archers, at which point I have no clue what to do with them because as soon as they enter the fray all the archers aim for them and they die quick.

4) Chariots in general I don't understand very well. They seem to essentially be cav except lower model count/stronger per model? But I've never had success using them. What do I want to do with chariots and when do I want one over cav?

5) and finally hybrid ranged/melee troops. Why would I ever want one of these over a dedicated ranged or melee infantry that will presumably do the job better? Is there that much value in getting just 1-2 alpha strike volleys off on an engaging melee infantry unit before engaging and being relatively weaker than the opponent in melee?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

What I've learned from all this is that I need vanguard deployment chariots to criss-cross the enemy army horizontally as they run at me and bowl over a buncha skeletons

Thanks everyone! I will give some of these units a try again and see what I can do with them :sunglasses:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

albany academy posted:

What mod's this?

Recruit Defeated Legendary Lords

Heads up it also recruits all immortal heroes and lords from other factions of your race when those factions are wiped out. This can be annoying because there's no way to disband or remove or kill an immortal hero so you are stuck paying their upkeep and having them take up one of your hero recruitment slots forever but it is nice having all the immortal lords in one house.

If you play with mods like that one faction blender one that adds trolls, chaos demons, arabia, etc this can be extra frustrating because you'll get things like the LotR Trio heroes that have all kinds of skills to support halflings when you're playing as Empire who gets no halflings and then you can't get rid of them.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 18, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I know it's not very well loved but IMO Mordheim: City of the Damned is a secret good sleeper hit Warhammer fantasy game. It's a little more ambitious than it can pull off but it successfully captures the feeling of building a squad, carrying them through battles, losing them to unavoidable bullshit, and scrounging together a team of all the biggest baddest survivors you can muster. With the DLC there's a lot of faction variety and it feels like a tabletop miniatures game.

I've never understood why people hate it so much - it has Mixed reviews on Steam but if you read the complaints in negative reviews the vast majority of them are saying "I don't like that the outcomes of dice rolls are random"

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 26, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Zephro posted:

This is a problem with basically every 4x / strategy game, really. It's sort of inherent to the genre. The bigger you get, the more powerful you get, so the bigger you get, etc. The only solution is negative feedback of some kind to counterbalance that virtuous cycle, but it's really hard to balance it properly. Warhams has a very mild version with supply lines, various Civ games have a similarly limp version with mechanics like corruption, etc. Shogun 2 tried a really abrupt, smack-the-player-in-the-face version with Realm Divide, which was caused you huge problems and felt very unfair the first time you experienced it, but quickly became just another mechanic you needed to plan for on the second playthrough.

Like you say some campaigns avoid the problem. I like to declare victory with Belegar once I've grabbed Karak Eight Peaks and there's no real prospect of losing it again. Even with the map-painter campaigns you can try just going for the short victory conditions.

edit: if you wanted to try something sorta like Realm Divide you could try one of the various mods that beef up the Chaos invasion. It's still a doomwar, but at least it adds another faction.

This is why one of my dream games is an asymmetrical 4x where instead of playing against opposing factions with all the same tools and goals as you, you play against challenges designed to be faced by a growing and/or burgeoning empire - like imagine Civ with only one "player" and that player has to face off against hordes of barbarians, natural disasters, etc. instead of other "players".

There aren't many games that have even attempted it. Thea: The Awakening was good but I heard bad things about the sequel. Warlock 2 does a pretty cool similar thing where throughout the course of the game you are trying to explore different ethereal planes and progress through them. I can't even think of others off the top of my head

The Old World is kiiiind of trying it, but it still has opposing empires on the same playing field as you.

Like, imagine if the Chaos Invasion in this game was an actual all-out invasion that felt unstoppable, coming at you from all sides, corrupting your generals, etc. and doing other seemingly-insurmountable things that are way outside of the player's grasp of power, instead of just a roaming horde faction. Maybe you could even decide "gently caress it, the world is over, Order is losing" and forsake everything you know to join the chaos horde, which would then convert your lords into roaming chaos hordes and give you a new campaign objective of destroying all Order. Maybe Chaos crushes the Empire so you take your boy Karl and join the high elves and then start marching High Elf armies commanded by Franz into battle against Chaos. I don't know, just let adversaries be on a completely different mechanical scale than the player, which will in turn give the player new ways to play the game and an emergent narrative to go with their empire/lord.

That way if the player is on a runaway exponential growth of power you can throw counters at them without needing those counters to be actual things produced by in-game empires that the player could also play as, so the threats don't need to be balanced with "what kind of damage could the player do with this?" in mind.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jul 26, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I managed to avoid getting too hyped up for this despite being excited for it, but today I watched some videos and the hype train is now in full effect and oh my god all of the units are cool as hell and the maps are rad and aaaaaa

I'm sure it has been posted in this thread (e: in fact it was on the very last page!) but MandaloreGaming put up an hour long review video two days ago that has plenty of critical things to say despite being positive, it's helping me temper my expectations:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRJo3R3ANsw

e: Some critical things that stood out to me:
The Realms of Chaos fights are fun but repetitive and gimmicky so they'll probably be skipped after the first playthrough
Level cap was raised to 50 and Lords have expanded/buffed skill trees to take advantage of it, but heroes don't so they feel wimpy
Cavalry is still pretty weak like in TW2
There are some tower defense type fights that encourage using entirely-ranged armies, combined with the above this one is probably going to be ranged-dominated too
Much more complicated battle maps leads to lots of pathfinding issues, which makes the AI particularly bad in manual battles (especially siege battles where the defender can dynamically place embracements/towers/etc affecting pathfinding) - often just running in circles eating arrows, failing to stand on victory points, etc. which greatly detracts from a lot of the cool new complex mechanics, because the AI just isn't capable of handling them.
Settlement battles are worse than ever because of the above and there are way too many of them

Also good things I didn't know about until watching this:
A dedicated button to tell tresspassers to GTFO, if they don't leave you can declare war against them with no penalty
You can build outposts on allied cities that lets you provide some supporting garrison troops to them, and earns you a resource that allows you to recruit a small number of the ally's units - so you can finally form mixed-faction armies.
Cathay has some super cool unique systems, like their econ buildings are bad but they have a pretty in-depth trade caravan system where you plan out trade routes and protect your caravans running around the map, a lot of neat campaign mechanics
Revamped siege maps where city maps are individually tailored to the owning faction's tactics - like empire cities having lots of high ground they can camp and snipe from, orc maps have tons of open room for blobbing, vampire cities have lots of tall buildings to use as cover from ranged units, etc. and sieges have multiple victory/capture points to spread the battle out over the larger map instead of focusing on a single battle at the gate

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 16, 2022

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

From watching Mandalore's review it sounds like the mono-god chaos factions all have really disappointingly small rosters despite their cool campaign mechanics :(

Vampire Counts only got one DLC but they have a roster of 34 units. Kislev and Cathay have 19, Ogre Kingdoms have 23. But then the mono-god demon factions are small rosters with reused units and 3 units shared across all the mono-gods.

Khorne has 19 units in the roster and it looks like most of them are just reskinned Norsca/Chaos units from the first games

Tzeentch has 14 units in the roster, and several of them are reused. Tzeentch and Nurgle don't even have unique skins for their mortal units.

The mono-gods also share most of their settlement maps, their unique campaign building, etc.

That's not a huge deal in the long run and they still look fun but I don't think I can bring myself to play one of them as my first campaign, I'm too excited to check out new stuff! The Demons of Chaos faction on the other hand have every non-mortal chaos unit for a total roster size of 39!!! Plus gets partial campaign mechanics from each of the mono-god factions.

Ogres also sound very fun, their campaign lets you play as a sort of independent mercenary/banditry band instead of a 'faction', including getting hired by other factions

Also it sounds like Tzeentch will be hilariously overpowered at launch - all of his units get a Master Chief style regenerating shield that is apparently absurdly OP

e: Mandalore closed out his hour-long review by saying because of how concerning the bugs he experienced were he doesn't recommend picking it up at full price, only gives it a "maybe" without knowing how bad the bugs are in the full release, and doesn't know if he'll cover what comes next :( I'm sure it'll all get sorted out in time like the last two games did though, and he said he's going to play the hell out of it anyway

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Unless you really like to micro every unit, this is the biggest QoL improvement mod IMO:
AI General lets you assign units in a battle to be AI-controlled, for units you don't want to micro or if you just want to sit back and watch battles.
If you're playing on Normal battle difficulty you can safely hand everything over to the AI and just control your heroes/lords if you want to play Dynasty Warriors style, even on Hard battles it's good enough at doing things like microing cav, dogs or fliers that you can focus on less finnicky units

Force defeated factions to confederate lets you force confederations by beating a faction into submission
Faster End Turn Camera makes turn passing much faster
Recruit Defeated Legendary Lords lets you forces you to recruit lords and heroes from defeated factions belonging to your race. This had some kind of annoying issue with not having a way to get rid of any heroes you get that have Immortal, which detracts from your hero cap - but if you want to use all of your race's LLs, this is how
Region Trading lets you trade regions with the AI
Better Camera Mod lets you zoom in closer or our further

Personally I can't play without this one but it can be divisive:
Remove Walls from all minor and major settlements but adds more units to their garrisons, replaces the Wall building with a building that buffs garrison troops, keeps walls in racial capitols

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Feb 22, 2022