Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Deakul posted:

God drat, they saved the best trailer for last apparently. :prepop:

How high are these elves exactly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I haven't really played these games since like. . . the wood elves came out?

But this seems like a good time to dive back into a campaign.

Advice / tips for Skaven? Or are we still working that out?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Helion posted:

They are the same people as the High Elves, the difference is cultural. But it's not like the High Elves are "good" in the same way the Dark Elves are evil. They're suffused with overweening arrogance and see the world as more or less composed of Chaos, which must be stopped, various beasts who must be put in their place and lesser child races like humanity who need to be shown who their betters are. They see themselves as the guardians of all civilization and the only hope the world has against Chaos, and they won't let you forget it.

Well, they aren't wrong, as such

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
someone remind me the differences between hard, very hard, and legendary?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Making the jump from hard to very hard with Skrolk is. . .very hard. Hard feels too easy, but Very Hard gets overwhelming.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Do we have any good info on the integration of WH1 and WH2 and how that's going to work mechanically?

Will Skolk have an Old World start or what?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

To those that have played skaven, can someone break down their ranged units for me? it's a bit daunting compared to other races when each category is a dozen different things, some unique, some slight variations and 50-100g differences and a bunch of unit cards of rats in various outfits.

Yeah, I'd really appreciate a breakdown / guide for skaven too. I've been doinking around with Pestilens on Hard but I can't figure out what I'm doing really.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Holy poo poo

Ok I started with skaven and they're cool and all

But I didn't realize the lizards were dinosaurs with friggin' laser beams

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Zaphod42 posted:

Every TW2 faction is awesome and better than basically all the TW1 factions

They're also dinosaurs who ride dinosaurs :allears:

I dunno

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIU6BmuHtI0

but yeah it's close

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Captain Oblivious posted:

Were you in this thread at all prerelease

If so how on earth did you not hear about how insanely radical Lizardmen are

no I didn't want to get too hyped, also was distracted by divinity: original sin 2

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

nopantsjack posted:

Gave Queek a try after Skrolk, Kroq and Mal. God drat he's fun, I made fragile friends with kroq gar by giving him shitloads of cash and repeatedly sacking the rats on my border he was at war with for like 10 turns (still a cheesy way to earn loads of exp too). Then about 3 turns later he betrayed me and attacked a city with walls and a full stack of slaves and a grey seer in there, it was a huge massacre but grey seer magic and free clanrats saved the day as I tarpitted my slaves outside the walls so the towers could slaughter his big units and I sent suicide bomb rats against his towers.

Anyway kroq is now fully exterminated and I own most of the continent. Queek owns because its just pure skaven goodness, none of this pestilens poo poo, just rampaging hordes of slaves backed up by grey seers and a single doomstack of fanatically loyal stormvermin for 20 upkeep each.

I think one of the things I most like about skaven is how expendable everything is, why not just accompany every good stack with a whole stack of slaves?

Also warp lightning cannons and death globes are extreeeemly strong and the doomwheel aint no slouch either if it wants to be.

Here is poor Kroq's last stand, he decided to attack a stack of slaves with only 5 units of chameleon skinks, they were surprisingly effective but There Are Always More Skaven

e: oh also another small thing that owns about skaven, stormvermin, clanrats and slaves all have the same unit size which means I don't feel like I'm missing out on frontage by upgrading unlike Chosen etc

I just wish I could take Queek against Karak Eight Peaks

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Any tricks for building up food with Queek?

With Skrolk it was relatively easy because there were good food cities scattered around your start, but Queek doesn't seem to have those.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Captain Beans posted:

Lol when you see the entire map laid out in one shot it really shows how incredibly lazy GW's design of the warhammer world is. I mean it's barely altered at all.

Does anything go in the southern part of Africa or did they just pretend that doesn't exist

It seems like the obvious regions for a third game are Cathay, Ind, and southern Africa.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

ZeusJupitar posted:

The whole of Africa is already in game two though? That's where Queek starts.

Ahh ok I thought that was South America

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

New Butt Order posted:

At this pont, "turn off skirmish, turn on guard" is so written into my muscle memory that fixing it in options might gently caress me up more.

I know most people want a three way thunderdome at Karak 8 Peaks for Mortal Empires, but my hope is that they finally do something with Skavenblight, since it's a decent sized very obvious hole in the middle of the Game 1 map.

Presumably that would be where queek starts from, since both other factions have to start outside Karak.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
29 total skill points per hero / lord, right?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Kaza42 posted:

39. Level cap is 40 now

Nice.

Anyone figured out an efficient way to use Queek's experience siphon to level him up extra fast?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Ammanas posted:

The entire old world will need buffing or Skaven need deep nerfing. They would style over freaking everyone.

this == not problem, but solution

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Is there any way to screw up the Warp-shard armor quest for Queek? The quest chain is no longer showing up in my quest list, and i don't have the armor. Haven't done the fight yet. My lil' dude is like level 14, about turn 30.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Oct 3, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

MonsterEnvy posted:

Did you listen to your stupid subordinates telling you that maybe you should start doing your job again. I have no idea if this messes it up. But I did not feel like risking it.

I'm not sure I even got the popup for that, I might've clicked through it if i did. But loading prior saves I can't even find one where it triggered at all.

edit:

Yeah reloading all the way back to level 6 and there's no quest showing at all. Any workarounds or fixes? I wonder if dismissing him for a few turns would solve it.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Oct 3, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

MonsterEnvy posted:

What was the last step you did.

Checking over the event log and over old saved games, there was no first step; I hit level six and the skill screen got a checkmark, but nothing else has ever shown in my quest log for that quest chain.I've gotten it before on prior Queek games.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

MonsterEnvy posted:

Ah so the quest just did not trigger for some reason.

Yeah, I can't figure what. Maybe it was leeched XP that tipped him over to level 6 or something?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I got a heroic victory last night with Skaven on Hard.

Was with a slave slinger / slave rat melee army and a gray seer (ruin) caster Lord, on the forest map that's a hugely inclined hill, against elves. I had the high ground, spread my lines out, enmeshed the elves, and once they were in a tight group, my mage Lord just started raining down lightning and breaking apart the elvish formations, and spawned rats and/or loose slave rats kept chasing the elvish archer units so they couldn't fire, while my slingers could, with height advantage.

The auto-resolve had given me a "decisive defeat" before I reloaded and did the fight by hand. I think the autoresolve doesn't properly account for being able to spread your formations out so they have maximum surface area facing the enemy.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Randarkman posted:

As someone said some pages ago, auto-resolve is just a pure numbers game. It does not account for formation or anything like that.

Yeah, but that particular effect might be another reason it over-values missile units (which it seemed like all the elf units were). A missile unit, the whole unit fires, but with a melee unit only the front line deals damage.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mans posted:

The basic lightning spell the Seers have is incredibly powerful compared to what comes next. It's kinda wierd because i feel like other than the attack buff spell I can just focus the Seers on their Blue and Red lines since the rest of the spells are basically obsolete.

Yeah that's a good point, I'm gonna have to go back and replay most of that campaign anyway since my Queek's armor quest bugged out, so I might just skip the other magic on that lord, at least initially. He had two points in the lightning for that fight and it really was all he needed.

It's nice that it's such a tightly focused spell, too, it just does a shitload of damage in one nice tight circle.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Panfilo posted:

:same:

I think a few things are important to either Skaven campaign: First, you have to be decent at managing slaves and clanrats because even if you rush the advanced tech you're still going to have to deal with the chaff units at a point that might really determine how well your whole campaign will go. Second, you have to manage food well, finding the balance between rapidly upgrading cities/getting extra charges of Menace Below, and hoarding the food up to get the global bonuses.

Yeah, food management finally "clicked" for me last night when I realized that they play like a hybrid of Beastmen and Empire; you have to build infrastructure in your cities, but you also have to constantly be fighting, so you can scavenge enough foods.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

toasterwarrior posted:

OK, I'm sure something in the "pursuing fleeing enemies" mechanics has changed, because good god do units feel terrible at it now. Lots more blobbing, units losing orders and going idle, and surprisingly, your units can take damage even when killing off routers? Something's not right.

It used to be really easy to issue a mass "chase everyone, but kinda stay in formation and spread out" order, by using LeftAlt + Rightclick

That process seems a lot more complicated now and you have to like leftalt + rightclick + drag? or something and it's very annoying, I never want my entire army to abandon formation to attack one single unit, not ever

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Is there a .jpg somewhere of Queek's skill tree?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Panfilo posted:

Margin of Victory determines how much experience your Lord and Heroes receive at the end of the battle; while damage dealt determines exp/veterancy of regular units, Lords/Heroes only care about the degree you won; a Lord could theoretically get 1,000 kills on his own but if he gets a Pyrrhic victory then he'll receive less exp than a Lord that got 0 kills but won a Heroic victory.

OOOHHHHH

*lightbulb explodes*

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Panfilo posted:

I mean don't get me wrong, it might be more worth it to have that Lord get 1,000 kills anyway if it means winning the battle. But farming kills isn't going to level them up any faster than just having them present.

Well, it's a lightbulb because it means I have a motivation to hand-fight battles apart from "autoresolve sucks, reload and do by hand." There's an incentive to beat autoresolve even in battles where I don't "need" to because I'd get a pyrrhic victory or w/e.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

PantsBandit posted:

Well reddit confirmed what I thought had just been paranoia on my end. Units will frequently just ignore orders for no reason. I noticed it in one of my story battles as Malekith. I would tell units to attack someone and they'd keep attacking their current target, or stop attacking entirely, or get halfway there and then start attacking someone else. It seems to happen quite a lot actually. Hopefully they fix that soon, it's really bad.

If they're already engaged any subsequent commands are basically a gamble. Last game seemed to have the same issue.

Makes me really want to ditch the warpfire throwers.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Did they ever come out with regiments of renown for the beastmen?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Gonkish posted:

Or maybe this:

Both of which are from this album.

hello new desktop

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Pierson posted:

Lizardmen playas how do you use Temple Guards? Get rid of your old Saurus and use them as your new front-line, or did you find a new purpose for them?

Also wow I had forgotten about that good old late-game turn-bloat. Mortal Engines is gonna be a trip, hope they find a way to minimise it somewhat.

wasn't there some way in the last game to quick-pace enemy turns

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Night10194 posted:

Queek should be able to get the best mount option: Palanquin. Nothing like a megalomaniac bundle of fur and meth being carried into battle on the backs of his fellows to make sure his nose stays higher than theirs at all times.

Queek would kill his own bearers for daring to think they were stronger than his own legs.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

PantsBandit posted:

Makes sense. Skaven excel at throwing bodies at you so that they can split up your army and get flank bonuses. Fighting on walls doesn't give them enough space to do this, so it's easy to take the wall and get archers set up to rain death down on the courtyard.

What I've been doing on offensive sieges as skaven is to just spread everything out as much as possible, ladder up the wall at all points, surround and flank where I can, everything left over (and there's always units left over, because i'm outnumbering the enemy significantly) charges for the central point and caps the siege. Meanwhile whatever artillery I have sits back and pounds away. Works fine on hard / ultra (or whatever the "max unit size" setting is).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Third World Reggin posted:

you have many servants and you want to make sure that you are high class and have an elf servant and not some human or dwarf servant like the lesser elfs

Funky See Funky Do posted:

We have man servants and man handlers. Well, I do.

A manservant doesn't have to be a man, it's a servant for a man.

Therefore, an elfservant doesn't necessarily have to be an elf. It's just a servant who is trained to properly cater to an elf.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

JBP posted:

You're basically going to live or die on menace below in early fights and you need to think through deployment. I can't think of a single skaven battle where I've formed a battle line. I just run skirmishers way up field to gently caress enemy formations, catapult behind and by some trees filled with plague monks. A few units of slaves or whatever I could afford to meat shield the catapult while the real army attack from the rear and flanks. Menace below to break wavering units with rear charges. Once you have good arty up and running you can blast the poo poo out of their lines while they try to run down skirmishers and early game dwarfs/lizards are rarely going to catch them thanks to lack of cav.

Playing on Hard with Queek, I usually form a battle line with my skaven, but I stretch it out waaaaaaay thin, as thin as I can, and I put whatever my "damage dealing" units are on the edges.

Slaverat Slingers or whatever artillery I have are immediately behind the line on high ground.

The enemy usually charges the center of the line with nice dense formations. because I've extended my line so thin, it's usually much longer, so the edges fold in and flank the sides, then collapse inwards.

Spells go in the middle.

Menace Below clanrats get spawned immediately behind enemy archers or artillery.

After playing around a bit with Queek's tree I've settled on taking the bottom line first with him -- get campaign movement, ambushing, then lightning strike is great, and the reduced upkeep skill above that helps with everything.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Oct 5, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Jeza posted:

Please don't skink shame

new thread title right here please please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Fans posted:

As Skaven it's real easy to just move Continent, just find an empty ruin and start an empire abroad instead

I might try that with Queek when I move up to Very Hard. Good idea. Just span the strait, then try to force Pestilens into confederation.