Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

Did they add back naval combat yet or is the Manowar Corsair game eating up Warhammer naval video game copyright?
No. I don't think it matters enough for them to want to bother with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I was always going to play Kroq-Gar first. This was solidified by his character portrait during faction/lord selection. He roars at the camera, then quiets down, turns, and pats Grymloq's muzzle as it enters the frame.

Kroq-Gar: Friend to the Dinosaurs :3:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
2:30 am CST here. :shepicide:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
One of my oldbloods is named Klo'aca. :v:

My only complaint so far is that they've somehow made the diplomacy menu more clunky. Other than that, everything has been fantastic and lizardmen are everything I wanted them to be.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Are intervention armies useless or something? I've sent two 10k stacks at the skaven and dark elves and they just die immediately. Wish I'd known that before I wasted 20k on them. This is just the first ritual and I'm only on Hard.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Who the hell are all these elf-lovers?

GaussianCopula posted:

He has a traditional looking faction (Elves) whose is easy to understand (shoot people with bows), an "easy" start and is a melee lord, who were often more fun in the first game - it's obvious why people are playing him first.
But he's not a dinosaur. :colbert:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mightypeon posted:

I need to find out if a Skink Chief can use his stealth skills (he gets vanguard deployment and hide anywhere eventually) while riding an ancient stegadon, because this would be totally hilarious.

thatdarnedbob posted:

Unfortunately the Beast path and the Stealth path exclude each other. I found this out amongst great weeping and gnashing of teeth. There's probably no reason a mod won't eventually be able to 'fix' that though.
I thought the same thing when I saw the mount and stealth skills. Unfortunately, as mentioned, they're mutually exclusive and I figured as much. Even CA isn't going to allow a vanguard stalk stegadon.

:rip: Stealthadon, you were too good for this world.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mans posted:

Man I love this game but the diplomatic screen is awful. Why does everything have this gigantic chromatic color? Why does it auto scroll to Lustria isntead of just zooming out above my domain?`
They somehow managed to make the diplomacy menu worse when the one in the first game was perfectly fine.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

Thinking about the missing Skaven units they could later add:

Giant Rats- Just have them function like light cavalry. Change the Moulder clan buildings around, with tier 3 giving giant Rats, tier 4 giving rat Ogres and tier 5 giving Hellpit Abomination. This nerfs rat Ogres somewhat by making them harder to obtain but the flip side would be a fast cheap unit with the expendable trait.

Ratling Gunners- Decent range firing extremely inaccurate salvoes of bullets. To define them from other ranged units give them a bonus vs flyers and/or infantry. They'd help cover Skaven weaknesses vs flyers, though in their cases would mainly shred squads of flyers like bats or harpies; big flying monsters or flying mounted lords might have too much armor for them to be super effective, but their projectiles would at least have respectable speed. Maybe also give them a trait that lets them less picky about firing into the backs of friendlies since their projectiles have a flat trajectory.

Warplock Jezzails- The opposite extreme compared to Ratlings. Instead of a hail of fire they'd fire very slowly, at long range. Functionally similar to warp lightning cannons, they'd have less dps and no splash but also somewhat cheaper and less ungainly to maneuver.

Pack master- A Moulder themed Lord that could get more bonuses for your monster units, particularly damage resist and maybe have his menace below summon giant Rats instead of Clan Rats.
In addition to ratlings and jezzails, there are a bunch of other Skryre weapons teams that could be added, including the DOOM FLAYER

Or something boring like a mortar team.

That said, I'd really like to have Ikit Claw in the game, but I'd also be happy with Throt the Unclean. Moulder-wise, they could even go for wolf-rats as a skaven equivalent to warhounds or dire wolves. They could also just come up with some other horrible rat monsters like the brood horror

I'm willing to bet they're going to go Skryre first as I feel like more of their roster is missing, but there is definitely room to expand Moulder as well.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

Give me Spess Mehreen rats or give me death
The super rogers from the End Times can gently caress right off. :colbert:

The little brain-rat fetuses attached to their backs can stay though. :3:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
How soon we forget the Black Orcs with TWO great weapons.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Q8ee posted:

What are naval battles like in this game? I don't think I've ever fought a single Naval battle in Warhammer 1 / 2. I'm avoiding them in 2 because I'm scared they'll be absolutely poo poo like they were in Rome 2 / Attila.
They're autoresolve and therefore highly favor the elves.

loving elves. :argh:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
My second Oldblood after Kroq-gar is named Klo'aca. He's a champ.

I'm glad CA has kept up the lizardmen tradition of goofy-rear end names that are really just references to pop culture or simple lizard jokes.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Deified Data posted:

The only thing I can imagine for TWW3 is bringing back all the old factions, reinventing some as necessary to remain competitive, and throwing them into a big End Times scenario.
noooo

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm still hoping for Tenenhauin, but he's originally from Chaqua. Don't get me wrong, Kroak is 100% acceptable. I'd just love to see a lizardmen equivalent to Skarsnik's Crooked Moon. No sauruses allowed. :c00lbert: Plus, he ties in very nicely with most of the missing units like jungle swarms, salamanders, razordons, etc.

If they do Kroak, I hope they stick to his one spell and his spell tree just makes it more and more insanely powerful.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 8, 2017

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pendent posted:

Hearing Organ Guns described as being like the gattling guns of yore has me pretty pumped for the combined map. I'm hoping Dwarfs are at least Skaven tier for their artillery if not better.
The Empire's Hellblaster Volley Guns are what happens when humans take Dwarf organ gun technology too far.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

toasterwarrior posted:

Those giant skeletons with appropriately giant bows look rad as gently caress, like they're Dark Souls giants or something. And of course, the giant scorpion.
The giant scorpion construct housing the corpse of a liche priest. :eng101:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pokeylope posted:

I've seen the AI come at me with some weird stuff before but this is incredible.

The auto-resolve recognizes this is not a good army and he's got another perfectly normal stack floating around out there.
I guess Stotchel Hammerfist just really liked catapults.
I had something similar happen to me in the first game, but it was goblins. I was playing dwarfs and the autoresolve was hilariously in their favor. I quick-saved, gave it a shot and my army was loving wrecked. I reloaded and actually fought it out, winning easily with minimal casualties.

Autoresolve's borked.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Xae posted:

I'de buy it.

If Lizards are the kings of auto resolve, Kroq is the fuckin' God-Emperor.
I'd argue that title belongs to the High Elves.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

toasterwarrior posted:

TBH, after playing this long, an endgame Chaos-equivalent for the bad guys has some appeal to it, even if they're loving Sigmarines.
Nah.

Make it a unified front of men, elves, dwarfs, etc. End Times and Age of Sigmar should stay where it belongs. In the trash.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kainser posted:

Possibly the greatest mod since the deformed kislev bears:

Those chariots aren't being ridden by skinks. :colbert:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Remember when we thought the Experiment might be a fleshed out Vampire Coast faction? :allears:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh my god, everything in that trailer is great, but those loving eye lasers on that hierotitan. :pcgaming:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Dongattack posted:

no, so keep your voice down :stonk:
:rip:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The first two books of the End Times were mostly fine and would have been a good base for moving the world forward. I mean, that's what we thought it was all about. A tweaking of the setting as a lead-up to 9th edition. Some legacy characters were killed off, Nagash and Vlad were brought back, etc. I was actually excited about what 9th edition would bring and was onboard with Nagash being the new Big Bad. It was a nice change from the usual chaos invasions.

WHFB was entirely salvageable and what really killed it wasn't the setting. It was 8th edition's focus on magic, monsters, and huge blocks of infantry. Not only were you incentivized to run blocks of 40+ models, they also jacked up the prices so you'd end up spending $200 to run 40 Witch Elves. Cavalry, in particular, was mostly invalidated and only monstrous cavalry like demigryph knights or mournfang cavalry was worth taking. 8th also lacked real support. It was like 8-9 months after its release before the first army book showed up. Just before the end it looked like they were supporting the game again with some solid supplements and army books, but then the End Times happened and here we are.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

My only concern with TK is rust being so isolationist that you'll seldom fight them unless you are one of their direct neighbors. Maybe have more end times scenarios.
It's pretty easy to come up with a justifiable scenario. You could, for example, send Settra on a mission to reclaim a lost artefact stolen by vikings. However, he's decided to travel over land and, well, there's a bunch of humans, dwarfs, and orcs in the way.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think the official reason was something like all the horrible things that the Empire fights on a routine basis don't give a poo poo about pikes and they need the halberds to crack open their armor, hide, shell, or what have you.

I have no idea if this is how halberds work in reality.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Terrible Opinions posted:

Your impression was right. However the reason for this is that their rules were always crap. The army was consistently bottom tier in every single edition. As a result no one played them and thus no one bought the models. When a tomb king equivalent came out in Kings of War, a game with actual competitive balance to a degree, they were the highest selling army for the entire model line.
Additionally, GW somehow managed to make Tomb Kings really powerful in Age of Sigmar. To the point they were winning tournaments and poo poo. This was after the range had been discontinued and now Tomb Kings models go for ridiculous amounts on ebay.

Night10194 posted:

Similarly, I think Bretonnia didn't get a rules update since what, 5th edition? It wasn't a problem with the models or army concept so much as them just being so wildly out of date.
6th edition. They were always rad as hell with great models, but no one wanted to play an army two editions out of date.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Randarkman posted:

Really? According to a little I read on Araby and such it seems that in that case the Tomb Kings have mostly just completely destroyed a number of Arabyan cities.
Hey, when a mummy shows up leading a skeleton army and demands his favorite doodad back... you'd better give it back. :v:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Fuligin posted:

e; oh i do think they lost flayed ones in the transition, that kind of sucks
Flayed Ones are definitely still around. There's even a whole dynasty of Necrons that are infected with the curse. They were covered in one of Forge World's Imperial Armor books.

New Necrons are great though. Trazyn is one of the best characters they've come up with.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Warhammer Fantasy survives as a bunch of floating football pitches in space, ran by a fickle god of luck. I am okay with this.

Nuffle be praised.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This is still such a weird choice for a Legendary Lord. I mean, the dude was just a hero with a funny rule in WHFB.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Junkenstein posted:

So Warhammer lore is based around people sending in the results of games they've played?
Not at all. They tried it back in the early 2000s in both 40k and WHFB, but didn't like the results so they retconned it all in later editions. They tried smaller-scale campaigns, but no one paid them as much attention because they didn't matter at all in the long run. They later wrote their own junk which is why we have the End Times (:rip: WHFB) and Gathering Storm (40k). End Times was initially promising with the return of Nagash in the first book and quickly became complete trash as it became clearer they were blowing everything up and not tweaking the setting.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

I just hope they're Minotaur Gut Charge: The Faction

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

But I don't want to play as Hungary.
You don't have to play as Hungary.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
But I don't want to play elfs!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Norsca was mostly covered under the Warriors of Chaos books. Marauders and marauder horsemen were included, but they definitely weren't the focus. CA expanded them quite a bit though, as mentioned, they did take a few units from Forge World's supplements like the skinwolves, mammoth, and fimir.

Well, fimir are actually really, really old lore/models, but the design in the game is based off of Forge World's work.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 18, 2018

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Gay Horney posted:

AOS is actually really good now for what that's worth
Hahahaha, no. It's still a dumb moshpit where you can shoot out of combat and snipe a character halfway across the board without penalty. They even kept formations around even though those ruined 7th edition 40k.

MAYBE second edition will fix some stuff, but it'll still be AoS.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Avasculous posted:

I never played Fantasy, but feel like I always heard it was cleaner/better-balanced than 40k. Was it just hosed in the same way? The inherent impossibility of balancing a game for a bunch of competitive grognards with 20+ armies that each have an entire BOOK of units/equipment, many of them dreamt up and arbitrarily-costed by whatever single person happened to working that day?
There were definitely always stand-out armies, but WHFB was pretty solid through 6th and 7th editions. Chaos Demons (who were separated into their own army in 7th) and the elfs being the main exceptions. Then 8th edition hit and GW completely hosed things up with overpowered magic and a system that heavily skewed towards giant infantry blocks and monsters (cavalry were basically useless). They also completely ignored it for years with nothing but the most basic support. It was something like 8 or 9 months before the first 8th edition army book came out, for example. It was the height of the Kirby Era; the old CEO was a shitheel.

Things were looking up before the end though with some solid supplement releases and new army books. Then the End Times hit. I was pretty hopeful for the first two books and thought a 9th edition was on the way. The return of Nagash promised a big bad other than chaos and some rules changes like combined statlines for mounts and their riders were welcome. Then everything went to poo poo in 3-5 and, well, here we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also they appear to be bringing back Fantasy in a new project called Warhammer Legends. Only the Dark Elves have been done so far however. And I think if they released a cool book for it both games could exist alongside each other.
:confused: No, they're not. All Warhammer Legends is is a made-to-order program for old WHFB models. They're making AoS rules for them which isn't anything close to bringing back WHFB.

At this point they could bring back WHFB as its own thing. I mean, they're still selling most of the old legacy models barring Tomb Kings and Bretonnia, it would just require a ruleset. AoS is differentiated enough by now with its own releases that it would still be its own distinct game without those models if they decided to go that route. An alternate future/universe like Blood Bowl, maybe. They'd have to actually support a new edition instead of just squeezing something out and letting it wither like they did with 8th. The design studio already seems pretty stretched so I'd be hesitant about their capability to do so while balancing a relatively new edition of 40k and an upcoming edition of AoS. It would also dilute their product lines further so I don't see it happening any time soon.