Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Kainser posted:

Might be old but yes:

Curious how bracing works with their ranged attacks. Will you have to turn off fire at will for them to brace for a cavalry charge?

Decent armor, silver shields, charge defense and anti-large melee. Sea Guard are basically a gently caress you to every normal archer counter (use your own archers or charge them with fast stuff)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

I was doing that Malekith quest battle where you're surrounded (spellshield I think?) by lizardmen, and you have some Dark Elf who tried to kill you set up to flank the ambushers. I won the battle without the reinforcements ever arriving and figured it was a joke that Malekith got betrayed by the same traitor twice. However, they didn't say anything about it so I'm not sure. Has anyone actually had the reinforcements show up in that battle?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

It's also rather annoying that Vaul's Hammer Spell Thing has to target a unit, and then destroys the section of wall it's on rather than targetting a wall/gate/siege directly. Means you can't use it to sneak in on an undefended area

Kaza42 fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 30, 2017

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Tenzarin posted:

I hate how the AI can move their army from a town being seiged.

They can only do this if it's a port. You can too

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

29 total skill points per hero / lord, right?

39. Level cap is 40 now

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

DeathSandwich posted:

The thing about the intervention armies is that if you send one on round 1 of a ritual and they succeed, when that intervention-ed team gets their poo poo together they will crush your intervention and recapture the city before the last turn of the ritual and it'll successfully complete. In order for intervention armies to work you need a personally controlled army or two in the area causing havoc in other places and drawing off defenders long enough to keep it from getting retaken.

Interventions are also piss easy to defend against, just keep a 3/4th stack army or so on each of your ritual sites, have the upgraded walls. Even on the last ritual when everyone drops an intervention army on you at once, in my game all three armies dropped on my capital, the High Elves sieged and the Dark Elves & Skaven just sat around with a thumb up their asses waiting for their turn to take a swing at my army + garrison.

What I would really like to see done regarding intervention/spawned armies:
Make them all ally each other. I don't care how little sense it makes, I want to defend my capital against a combined force of every army trying desperately to stop me, not easily managed piecemeal chunks
Have their spawn locations noted beforehand, or even have a fixed path. Defending minor cities first is fine, losing a half dozen settlements because the stacks spawned in the middle of nowhere that is currently defended by six men and a wall is not.
Make the spawns more focused on their destination. Having them go on huge detours to burn down my other cities is annoying and just weakens the final attack on the city I care about
Have them come in two waves, preferably in combination with fixing their spawn locations to be much closer. When you first start a ritual, one stack spawns outside each of the three cities, plus some extra stacks outside a random one. Then 5 turns in a group of stacks spawns on each city.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

So, I guess Loyalty is just a joke for Dark Elves. By mid game, I had enough elfservants to give five to every lord if that were possible. Even just one leaves them pretty much permanently at 9-10 loyalty, and I would keep getting another elfservant every couple turns! Sometimes I even got 2-3 at once!

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Krazyface posted:

I got a lizard named Ss'impssyn.

Ss'impssyn, eh?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Amuys posted:

Is there any point of buying any units besides executioners, blackguards, and darkshards with maybe some hydras and dragons for the delves? I guess shades are useful sometimes.

I love shades over Darkshards. They're better ranged units, and trade the shield for also being solid melee units. Fantastic for siege defense or ambush battles

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I would be shocked if the two added Legendary Lords for High Elves weren't from Caledor and Tor Yvresse. Prince Imrik of Caledor and Eltharion the Grim are pretty iconic. I couldn't even say which one was more awesome, they've both been around for ages in the game and both are just fantastic. Eltharion in particular has some fantastic lore tied to him, the only High Elf General to ever successfully raid the city of Naggarond and managed to (barely) live to tell the tale even before we start getting to the story of Grom the Paunch.

I freely admit to just having a ridiculous love of Imrik but I've always enjoyed his aesthetic and background as the last great descendant of the Caledor line, whose rule of a diminished land full of nobles clinging to old glories does not stop him from calling forth one of the mightiest of all dragons to aid him in protecting Ulthuan and mustering the grand armoured Dragon Princes to ride forth. There's lots of fantastic characters for the High Elves to choose from but for me when you talk about iconic High Elf characters it's definitely Teclic, Tyrion, Imrik and Eltharion in no particular order.

Honestly, I would have put Alith Anar and Alarielle above either Imrik or Eltharion, although I do think Imrik and Eltharion are super badass

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Dongattack posted:

Have they said anything about potential new starting positions for the races in Mortal Empires? What i mean is for instance can you choose to start somewhere in the New Worlds as Dwarves for instance or are we locked to the tried and true spawns?

I don't have the quote handy, but someone from CA said that they are not including alternate starts for old world characters at launch, but it's something they want to do. They just had to get it working and live fast, so it got put on the backburner

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Mazz posted:

They've probably been working on ironing out ME for the last like 6 weeks and Norsca wasn't in the build they started with. It shouldn't take very long after ME releases to get that attached, but for now just finishing what they started in the timeframe they promised is a good plan.

Yeah, except then you find out someone fixed a typo in a common function name, and when you're rebasing the new code to use the updated function calls but the fixed function names you accidentally misclick on a single function that's only called when Chaos razes Athel Loren. Unfortunately, everyone's so used to the typo name that it passes code review, but then QA finds the crash but it's so unlikely that it's hard to nail down exactly what's breaking it and the entire thing is delayed an extra month

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

SunAndSpring posted:

I wonder what Queek's penalty to not having Karak Eight-Peaks is gonna be.

Minor penalty to public order, from what we saw in party elite's stream

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Gamerofthegame posted:

The first game's were all in all pretty cool and good tho. Manageable and made sense.

Although the Empire's long conditions were a joke. It just added a requirement to have defeated the Vampire Counts.

The short conditions required you to conquer Sylvania. Who has ever played an Empire game where they conquered Sylvania but didn't end up killing the Vampire Counts?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Archonex posted:

No joke, that'd honestly be pretty loving awesome. Those Westwood Dune RTS games when I was younger were basically two steps and a decade off from being Total War, what with the battle map and all.

Also I asked before and didn't see an answer. Does anyone know if you have to set up the mods that everyone uses in a co-op campaign game before joining? Been checking around online and I didn't see any indication if you did or didn't.

You have to use the same mods in multiplayer, including co-op

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

DeathSandwich posted:

I doubt they would be looking at Three Kingdoms is going to be a retread or undermindment of Cathay or vice versa unless you are expecting a Total War Rot3K to have Animated Jade statues, Steampunk Terra Cotta Robots, and a literal dragon as the emperor as they fight off waves of literal goblin mongolia and giant chef wizards who cast magic through the power of food and otherworldly demons.

The next time they make Historical Dudes In Potatosacks 3: Without Pontus, they should include a Greenskin invasion near the end and leave it out of every preview or promotional material. Troll the gently caress out of TWC

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Fuligin posted:

Hey Gejnor, you should remake your mod that grants two skillpoints on odd levels.

I actually made a skillpoint mod for personal use that is +2 on every even level for lords and +2 on every x5 for heroes. I can publish it if other people also like that pattern

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Fans posted:

Yes it bypasses physical resistance. It is a bit niche

Better than flaming weapons, which I think are actually detrimental more often than they are beneficial

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

A bit late, but here is the Skill Point Mod I talked about earlier:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1160589142

Lords get +2 points every even level
Heroes get +2 points every multiple of 5

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

I've been getting a BSOD when I launch this game recently. Is there a known bug or fix for this sort of thing?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Is there a command to tell my artillery to stay put if a target goes out of range? I normally keep most of my artillery on fire at will because several times I've designated a target and the morons manning the grudge thrower will decide to drag it through my front line into the middle of a horde of orks because the target I designated ran away and I didn't notice.

Guard Mode. It's the little shield icon in the bottom row of the screen. It basically means Do Not Pursue Lu Bu

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Mordja posted:

Yeah, big, monstrous lords typically beat walking dudes because they can push them around so much. This applies to Kholek except that he also has amazing stats and can whomp the poo poo out of dragons.

The downside of this is that the bigger and more monstrous your lord is, the easier they are to shoot. I think that in practice Kholek is one of the weaker lords, because I never TRY to 1v1 him with my general. I just shoot him with 2 units of handgunners while he crunches through some spearmen or something.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

What's the range that dodging kicks in? Can you have 6 rockets, but turn them off until your handgunners are in range, than turn them on so you get full rocket+guns while the enemy just runs around in circles?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

The one thing I wanted out of a Laboratory Mode was the ability to issue commands to both sides of a battle, but that doesn't seem to be in here. I'm sure it will be a neat spectacle, but I am pretty meh on this

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Are there any good mods to fix the Chaos Invasion? I've found a good Norsca nerf one pending the update, but I hear the Chaos Invasion is still awful and player-targeted despite CA's claims at fixing it.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Gejnor posted:

One thing of note and quite a bit of a surprise for me atleast is that Settras special chariot mount, Chariot of the Gods, is actually the very last mount option in the campaign and comes after the Warsphinx.

Man, I hope this chariot is badass enough to justify taking over a warsphinx

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

I dont know posted:

It's not. Arkan the Black gets a flying chariot as his final mount, not Settra.

I only saw Arkhan's used in one clip so I can't be positive, but it looks like it's just FLOATING like some boring rear end ghost rather than flying

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Kinda a shame TK can’t confederate at all, though I get why since you could bypass their army and unit caps really easily. What are people gonna do for campaigns when TK l launches? I’m thinking a Khalida Vortex campaign to start and then a Settra Mortal Empires.

I'm going the opposite. Settra in Vortex, then Khalida in Mortal Empires. Khalida starts over near Sylvania in ME, right? I wouldn't want to waste her fighting LESSER vampires

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Voyager I posted:

I tried to play Tyrion's start in Mortal Empires and I don't think I've got it in me.

I unified Ulthuan, started the invasion of Naggaroth and made good inroads vs Morathi before checking the short campaign objectives in further detail and seeing that I also had to destroy Naggarond. I checked the map, took one hard look at exactly how far I was going to have to wade through Dark Elves (and only loving Dark Elves) to accomplish that objective, and quit the game.

Am I misreading this, or is Tyrion's intended midgame really a 50-turn hellwar against a single faction?

I just completed a Tyrion Mortal Empires game. I kept my sanity in the Dark Elf Campaign by only sending one army over to fight them. I kept one at home to block norse/chaos and rebels, and send my third army to the Old World to start beating up Skaven and Vampires.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

We are definitely going to need a nickname for death kitty, like Fluffy is for Mannfred's Varghulf. I shall now rename the starting sphinx "Snowball"

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Gay Horney posted:

Age of sigmar is a worse setting but a better game in every way. It is for sure a huge upgrade from fantasy mechanically. With 40k they just threw out a new edition and called it a day but I can see why they did what they did to fantasy.

It really isn't. We didn't need to trade in rank-and-file fantasy warfare for lovely skirmish formation 40k-but-dumber

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Was playing Vortex Settra, and I conquered the dwarfs to the south of me, but they escaped with one Lord and no army. After hanging out raiding the humans for a while, they suddenly start recruiting and amass a 20 stack of warriors and quarrelers over the course of like 3 turns. I rush to try to stop them, but they take a village of mine and have a SECOND full stack up and running almost immediately after. This is all happening while Settra is on the other side of the continent chasing a Book of Nagash, so I'm trying to throw together a new army in time to stop the beard tide rolling over me. By the time I get them stomped out, they conquered two towns, razed a third and sacked a fourth. I don't know why they were able to recruit units with no towns or buildings, but it's utter bullshit.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Panfilo posted:

I get that their income will be adjusted by the fact that you aren't spending a penny on recruitment or upkeep, the problem is that these buildings have such a situational use its more worthwhile to build and demolish them as needed, especially in minor settlements.

In my current Settra game, a solid half of my income is from trade. I'm making about 2600 per turn, ~1300 from trade, so I'm never really sad to build more trade good buildings

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

JBP posted:

The key to the chariots is exactly that. They are free, but tey also have enough charge and impact to do poo poo. I don't use them on flanks, I put them in the core and rive them through the enemy front line. Everything is chaff. Everything serves.

Snowball is not chaff :colbert:
Murder kitty has been rank 9 since halfway through fighting the savage orcs

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Cpt_Obvious posted:

What I am trying to say is that I am a whiny baby and skellymans are hard and I don't understand why when I win a battle i have fewer units than the loser. Am I dense or are tomb Kings a horde faction with severe replenishment issues?

One of the Books of Nagash creates a sandstorm in any region you conquer that causes attrition to enemies and gives you a huge buff to replenishment. Get that book and never worry about replenishment again

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Does the "Meatshield" trait do anything or is it just a description like "damage dealer"

All red/green text at the top of a unit card is 100% fluff and guidelines. All mechanical effects are included in the statblock and abilities line

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

peer posted:

I think the only units with this keyword but no bonus are cavalry (and maybe monsters or chariots) in which case it refers to their extra mass, charge impact and disruption

It's also used for units with AoE attacks

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Gejnor posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd5DAzsSDB8

Heres a Tretch Craventail spotlight video!

I am honestly surprised that this is an actual Tretch Craventail spotlight video

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Soup du Journey posted:

Is that guy a one-off, or does he just keep on ptra necrotecting?

He dies upon settling a ruin, and I think there's a 25 turn cooldown between summons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Aurubin posted:

Why didn't Cataph ever make a Kislev mod? Or for that matter, why are there so few? Nobody likes Ice magic Russia?