Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Ckeleton Jacobs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Cpook Jacobs' hit list for the month:

glam rock hamhock posted:

Oct 5 – A Hat in Time (PC, PS4, Xbox One)
Oct. 6 – Lady Layton: The Millionaire Ariadone’s Conspiracy (3DS)
!!!!!!!!Oct. 13 – The Evil Within 2 (PS4, Xbox One, PC)!!!!!!
Oct. 13 – Fire Emblem Warriors (Switch, 3DS)
Oct. 24 – Destiny 2 (PC)
Oct. 27 – Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
!!!!????!!!!Oct. 31 – Bubsy: The Woolies Strike Back (PS4, PC)!!!???!!!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

No lie Bubsy is the first SNES game I remember playing, I never thought he'd be coming back.

I am psyched for it because someone offered to buy it for me if I do a full let's play of it after the absolute shitshow that was my LP of the original. I just hope it's funny bad like the original Bubsy is instead of that bland generic ugly kind of bad.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

... completely taking control of your body and using it as a marionette to accomplish its inscrutable goals ...

:eyepop:

The trailers make it look like a perfectly competent if bland platformer with horrifically annoying voice clips. It reminds me of that new Rocket Knight game that came out last gen (though that didn't have the voice aspect)

:smith: God the original Rocket Knight was so loving good

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

closed down pizza parlor which is haunted

Freddy Fazbear's Closed-Down Pizza Parlor

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

chumbler posted:

At approximately tail time.

*checks watch*

:hai: It's

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Internet Kraken posted:

Saying something is for "gamers" is one of the quickest ways to make me turn away from a product.

The good news is, you're right to be turned away because sword art online is an abomination

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I heard the Homestuck game turned out pretty okay

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Is that by Actual Standards or Homestuck Fandom Standards?

I mean, as an adventure game it's apparently perfectly competent, but man Homestuck Fandom Standards were loving sky high for this thing considering how much it cost to make and the timeframe it took to make one single part of it

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
imo Bloodborne is the only Souls game that got player stats totally right. The rest of them either have a stat that is completely useless (Resistance), a dump stat only for really niche builds (Luck), or decisions that make no sense and hurt the game by forcing you to pay a soul tax to play normally (Adaptability and splitting up Endurance into two stats). Bloodborne went the opposite direction and simplified it down as much as possible, which I really appreciate.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you remove leveling, the game's balance would go right out the window. Enemies would have to do pitiful amounts of damage from start to finish if the player couldn't level up their health, or else stuff would start killing you in one hit real fast. Buffing runes to augment your character in higher amounts so that they matter more could change that, but there's a reason everyone wears the Cling Ring in Demon's Souls no matter what.

But even if you do keep raising your health and endurance in, the combat difficulty curve would be completely flat. Making damage output the only thing that matters would require the game to gate upgrade materials even further than it already does, which would cap the maximum damage you can output at any given time. There would be no way to get ahead of enemies but tons of ways to fall behind, and there are already enough of those with the current system. Enemies would end up having hundreds and hundreds more health than you do, but it wouldn't matter because you'd still be killing each other in about the same number of hits as you were in the first area.

The benefit of having stats to specialize in is that they allow you to make your character better than normal at specific things, which in the end puts you ahead of the enemies. That's the reason that quality builds in other Souls games end up suffering- You're trading specialization for being a jack of all trades, which makes you less effective overall but gives you more options. Bloodborne supports the 'quality build' playstyle really well because there aren't many stats in the first place, and you have more than enough time to pick something before stat scaling starts really mattering.

Also, Arcane and Bloodtinge make for very useful utility stats even on characters that aren't specializing in them. Augur of Ebrietas is one of the most useful tools and it's got I think like 15 for its requirement. With how little upgrading STR/DEX matters until the later game when your weapons start benefiting, putting some points into them while it's still cheap will unlock the usage of a bunch of spells/guns very early on that deal a ton of damage. Even the basic pistol turns into a handheld howitzer with just a few upgrades and some points invested.

edit: And this whole conversation would be null and void if Bloodborne had a way to re-spec, but it doesn't for some reason.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Oct 1, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Andrast posted:

I'd rather them remove weapon upgrading than touch the leveling system.

All weapon upgrading does is disincentive you from using all the new cool weapons you find.

I would agree with that. Bloodborne is very stingy with its upgrade mats, especially chunks, and that really sucks because some of the late game weapons are imo the best ones.

edit:

https://twitter.com/SeniorPacman/status/875473436738437120

https://twitter.com/spookperson/status/874892963540865024

happy october

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Oct 1, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Bloodborne is my game I consider to be near perfect but this should surprise nobody

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Help Im Alive posted:

I thought it would've been Max Payne 3

It's second, mostly because of those damned loading zones. Without those I think they'd be tied.

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcE-f0teM04

I posted about this sometime last month when it came up too but for those that haven't seen the SH3 puzzle being talked about here is my explanation of it from an LP I didn't do

Although making that video inspired the bonus features of my Bloodborne LP that I think turned out great! (shill shill shill)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUGVhHkiywQ

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 1, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

precision posted:

Rock Band 2

If Rock Band 2 had Green Grass and High Tides I would agree with this +1000, but instead I only agree with it +999

edit: Also, a new avatar to pre-celebrate my new favorite video game. I am this confident it's gonna be god drat good

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

precision posted:

Evil Within 2?

Hell yeah, man!! I'm psyched!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Bloodborne is on PC if you buy it on PS4 and then stream it to your PC :downs:

edit: For real though gently caress exclusivity deals they're so irredeemably lovely

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Will never get tired of laughing about how much of a dick Kirby is in Kirby's Avalanche

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The only thing about RDR I don't like is the morality gauge. The game has a lot of reactions to you being on the bad end instead of the hero, but there are no incentives or reasons to actually be bad. Other than that it's great.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

To ask the thread a similar question: are there any pays of a game you love that other people seem to hate?

Like, for example, one of my favorite parts of Gunstar Heroes is the dice maze and I was really surprised to find out years later on the internet that people apparently hate that part and consider it a flaw in an otherwise perfect game.

The shooting in Spec Ops: The Line is perfectly serviceable and imo very punchy and satisfying, which is why it bothers me when people use the "it's supposed to be not fun to play" point in talking about why the game is so deep. It is fun to play.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The lingo in Life is Strange makes a lot more sense when you look at this pic I found of the writing team

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Holy poo poo, I was going to get around to the Nioh DLC eventually but playing it on the PC sounds rad. I don't know how good Koei Tecmo's ports are but if I can play it at 1440p@60fps that will be glorious

Are you playing it while vaping some dank OG bud

You might not be able to. The game is restricted to the 1080p-max 60fps mode and the special 4k 30 fps mode the ps4 pro has.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The Monkey's Paw curls a digit:

"The PC version will include two visual presentation modes: Action Mode, which aims for a stable 60 fps frame rate, and Movie Mode, a “cinematic” option with a 4K display resolution. Koei Tecmo's note to press suggests you can't deviate from either of these two modes, no matter how powerful your PC."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-10-02-nioh-confirmed-for-pc-out-november-via-steam

edit: There's no doubt in my mind this limitation will be overcome by some young aspiring modder though. We live in the era of DSFix so anything is possible.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If DS3 had the Rusted Iron Ring from the first game, I would have no problems with Farron Keep.

But it doesn't.

So Farron Keep loving sucks.

edit: And honestly it not being included is so strange to me considering the sheer number of straight-outta-Lordran enemies and items that pop up in 3 elsewhere.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dynamite Headdy is such a unique, cool game. I hope they never ever remake it. *looks at the mediocre Rocket Knight remake wistfully*

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYUVRSbjehA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOUkbT64ESo&t=36s

Also the music loving owns

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yknow what's really cool you guys? YouTube, who allowed copyright claims on my video that contained midi covers of songs

CJacobs posted:

A youtube stream I did today got copyright stricken by literally 25 copyright holders for playing midi versions of their songs that were so accurate the automated system thinks they're the real thing

and then rejected my dispute almost instantly, so quickly that it was Surely Definitely Most Certainly Not Automated, Promise

CJacobs posted:

Unreal, simply unreal. It's not even the actual song. There's nothing to claim. My Immortal is serious fuckin business I guess.

CJacobs posted:

By the way, in order to appeal a rejected dispute you have to give them your full contact information now

in addition to writing a god drat essay that Surely Will Definitely Be Read By a 100% Not Automated Real Human

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 3, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The final boss of Dynamite Headdy lives up to his music in terms of difficulty, that's for sure.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

precision posted:

1- Is there not a thread for Evil Within 2?

There is not. I was considering making one myself but I don't think anyone would post in it. If I can be bothered to make a pretty OP while I'm still sick, I'll do it anyway.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

precision posted:

I haven't been watching your Evil Within 1 because I wanted to get around to it myself, I just started it today.

This game is goddamn stupid as gently caress and I love it. It's like Michael Bay's Resident Evil 4, and RE4 was already Michael Bay as gently caress

Sebastian's "What the gently caress?" in the second chapter is my favorite line in the entire game. It is perfectly voice acted and I am so sad he is not voiced by Anson Mount in the sequel. That man has the absolute best deadpan curse word drops.

I hope you enjoy it, man, it's a goddamn good game. My advice to you is to play the first few chapters like it's The Last of Us. Too many people try to play it like RE and get curbstomped and run out of ammo, but if you sneak around and only shoot if you have to, it's a lot more fun.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 3, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3836412

Blammo. Please come talk about how The Evil Within 2 is going to loving rule.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Is there a source for that anywhere?? I cannot find anything on those claims.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
drat, bummer.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Mario went into his room to pick up his magic hammer, ready to pound that motherfucker Bowser into the dirt.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
FIND THE COMPUTER ROOM

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Splat2n players want to destroy Pearl, not Marina

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

That depends on how you're defining "destroy"

kill. murder. remove

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Remember the part of Sausage Party where the movie ended but they didn't know how to end it so they had all the characters have an orgy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9mpANfKdqg

I remember it because it was the only time dying of embarrassment has ever been a legitimate fear in my mind

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Raserys posted:

Hey that's a link I'm not gonna click

Please don't

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Does it get more air-time when he jumps

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Not really, cuz once the general population realizes that there will be nothing but comparisons between the two. And you do not want to be compared/contrasted with The Witcher 3. You will not leave the venn diagram alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The day they set an Assassin's Creed game in world war 2 is the day we know it has truly jumped the shark.

Internet Kraken posted:

Ah yes an Egyptian desert, a setting that has never been in a game before.

How many games focus on the egyptian civilization in the egyptian desert, instead of just big pyramids that contain floating fireballs and/or endless hordes of horse skeletons

• Locked thread