Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

onedrive deleted all my locally stored photos. fantastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

made a symbolic link to photos folder in the onedrive folder because onedrive has no features. much later I upgraded a drive and the drive letters got hosed for a little while, which made onedrive quit working. when everything was back in place I set it up again. but apparently around then it deleted everything in the previously linked folder. miraculously all photos remained in onedrive online

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

symbols links on windows? do please actually use that?

there's no other way to add external folders to onedrive

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

wtf everything was in my recycle bin

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

msoft looking out for their oems :unsmith:

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

remember when the riaa claimed damages against someone that amounted to more than the accumulated capital in the entire world?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Schadenboner posted:

Calculator button alignment?

that's been broken since at least build 1709

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Broken Machine posted:

what is it with ms and settings that don't actually work? sometimes my desktop will lag for a second or two and it will ask me, "oh hey do you want to turn off aero?" and one of the choices is No, gently caress You Never Ask Me Again and i think i've probably selected that about a few dozen times and it still asks me every time. i mean, if one of the choices was No, gently caress You Please Ask Me Every Time I Love This Dialog i would appreciate the honesty but this is just insulting and they do this bunches

update to a modern windows and this problem will go away

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

qirex posted:

lol crackdown 3, microsoft's big banner holder for azure gaming services for the cloud, is boring garbage, coming five years late it's somehow boring and buggy plus the cloud part hasn't even been released yet because they can't get it to work. they have basically no upcoming exclusives this year except for the annual forza and a vague promise of some halo game that will probably get pushed to the xbox zero or whatever the next one is called. I do feel a little bad for terry crews, he seems like a good dude

for those for you not familiar with game reviews most big releases are rated on a scale from 7 to 10 so this is basically a -1

they're even skipping Forza this year

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

yesterday my work laptop's touchpad stopped working at a very inopportune time - I accidentally did something that turned it off in software. I keyboarded to touchpad settings and tried to toggle the touchpad back on. this did not work because that requires administrator privileges and my work, in its infinite wisdom, has not given me those. there was no keyboard shortcut or hardware toggle for the touchpad. Although there was a hidden synaptic tray icon, i could not open it via start menu or searching. restarting did not help. After I got a usb mouse, i opened the synaptic tray icon and found that the option "double tap to disable touchpad" was checked. Mystified, I double tapped the touchpad. Nothing. I tried double tapping with one, two, three, and four fingers. Nothing. Quite by accident, I realized that synaptic meant that you had to double tap on a specific part of the touchpad. then it worked.

was this on an HP

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

lmao you ignored the obvious light that came on in the corner of the touchpad to indicate this was happening and where to tap to turn it off

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

it's a dumb feature but if something changes in the behavior of something you use constantly maybe give it the ol once over before panicking

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

wish this forum wasn't dying so we could get impressions from young people when they first discover the caps lock button

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

my favorite thing in windows 10 is that any time you install a lil program it vomits a dozen tiles across your start menu with its loving readme and uninstall and configs and multiple executables ❤️❤️❤️

are you confusing Windows 10 with Windows 8? because that doesn't happen on the former but I definitely remember it from the latter

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

pseudorandom name posted:

thanks for your commentary on virtue signaling, could you perhaps talk about about SJWs and forced diversity?

:chloe:

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

rear end posted:

Here's a quality Microsoft product for you, brough to you by UWP.

https://i.imgur.com/ES6RtQU.gifv

it's so easy to write apps for touch and mouse driven interfaces simultaneously

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

akadajet posted:

remember when we all made fun of samsung for making huge phones?

yah, weirdly it stopped as soon as apple started making huge phones

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Zlodo posted:

I dont think flight sims are a market large enough for microtransactions to be worth it

the entire business model of dcs is free to play

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

you think bezos keep grudges?

Amazon is currently juicing all the city council races in Seattle because they passed and then retracted a law to tax tech jobs to pay for homeless services

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

bezos holds grudges

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Microsoft was much worse but also much funnier under ballmer

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

infernal machines posted:

you can add it in a paid DLC, i just want to be able to do window management and poo poo in vr in a way that sucks less than vorpex or vrdesktop

just get a windows mixed reality headset so you can use every uwp program natively in vr

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

infernal machines posted:

ah, yes, the incredible library of UWP software at my fingertips

the uwp something awful app works as well as can be expected for a joke 3-year abandoned app in vr, what else could you need?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

how long until every github msi download gets automatically replaced with poo poo like this, sourceforge style

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Yeah when in the tech sector has a monopoly led to stagnation and anti-consumer behavior?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

dang, going back to the days of the insane markup on xbox360 hard drives. feels nostalgic

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Drastic Actions posted:

xbox one also has a "dev mode" for deploying custom UWP apps too. it's meant for developing UWP apps (:lol:) and games but if you want an app that isn't or won't be allowed on the store (retroarch, etc) then you can sideload it. with that, and that most xbox exclusives are already on the PC anyway, it gives less reasons to try and hack into it. not zero reasons, but less.

sidenote: just checked again, my Awful UWP app is still on the Xbox Store, and still works despite several Windows and dashboard upgrades, even after not having not been updated in two+ years. :toot:

lol i used that app to post from inside windows mixed reality, nice work

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

gently caress narcs

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

it takes like 10 seconds to restart a modern pc. not a big deal

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Hed posted:

hell yeah, why did they change it to stupid blue. knowing microsoft that alone was a fight between battlin' business units.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUoKrdB9BjU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Windows night light mode is so inconsistent I think im going back to f.lux

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

My company deployed teams this week. pros: it's not Skype for business. cons: click on tab.... wait... wait... tab fully loads. is it like this everywhere or is my corporate spyware making GBS threads it up

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Lol it spikes my CPU to 20% for a couple seconds to change a ui element

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

jesus WEP posted:

i want to know if im unconsciously doing some weird poo poo

if you're wondering, you are

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yeah, can understand that it is annoying clunk in regular use, but i use it a couple of times a week for contact with various other organizations, and it is mostly just fine.

actually the by far most annoying thing about it for me is that it is apparently underpinned by the usual microsoft stack of disparate configurable policies and settings, so every organization has some random subset of the features disabled or working in a slightly different way.

v cool that my organization is deprecating skype for business so we'll have to use teams for messaging. sounds like it's an rear end load of gently caress

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

im eternally thankful my company requisitions laptops that dont have cameras and as such our norms during covid never developed to have video chats

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Shaggar posted:

skype 4 biz is going away so there isnt a choice, but also skype 4 biz is the only chat client worse than teams

a decade down the line and sametime is still the best chat client my company ever deployed

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

just noticed teams, a Microsoft product, doesn't use the native Windows notifications :geno:

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

suddenly not feeling so bad work policy disallows teams addons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

the headset work gave me for quarantine would shout "mute on" and "mute off" while muting the actual output every time you press the mute button on it. it also has an indicator light so maybe its just the worlds shittiest implementation of accessibility features