Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
as far as windowses go, windows 7 was good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

The_Franz posted:

ntfs isn't the problem, it can handle paths with 32k+ characters. the problem is that various bits of the win32 filesystem api and legacy apps (like explorer.exe*) still have a hardcoded path limit. MAX_PATH is still defined to 260 like it's 1998 and to use extended paths you explicitly have to prefix them with "\\?\", which many applications don't do.

*maybe they finally fixed this, idk i haven't really touched a windows machine for a while

yeah i thought raymond chen mtnioned this at one point and said that theyd love to change it but it would break binary compabitiilty for virtually every windows program or something

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

cinci zoo sniper posted:

how will you talk to family, friends, and non-technicals?

it is best to not attempt this thing

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

The_Franz posted:

there's no more "no purchase required" option? when they first did that every 60 seconds giveaway back in 2005 you could just request hundreds of free codes with those temporary throwaway email providers then dump the max amount of codes into a slot giving you a 99% chance of winning

yeah i thought those "no purchase required" options were legally requied, i definitely do nothink that they would be so prevalent if they were optional

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

Father Jack posted:

if there was an SP2 for 7 i'd probably still be using it on at least some machines.

before the convenience rollup it was getting to be 50/50 whether windows update would poo poo itself after a new SP1 install.

it actually is a lot better now with security updates being bundled into monolithic monthly blocks, fewer updates (many of which supersede older individual updates) to hit the Ω(n2) runtime of checking for updates that should be applied

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
just received a new 6th gen lenovo x1 carbon, and powered it on for the first time, its running windows just long enough to check for/install firmware updates, then wiping it for linux

holy poo poo is the initial setup "Hi there! :)" bullshit infuriating

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

orange sky posted:

what's the laptop like? gonna get one of those (but I'm gonna have to run W10)

it smells like new plastic, doesnt look too different than the 3rd gen x1 carbon im typing this from

the keyboard seems better though, which is good because my R key popped off on this 3g one about a year ago and ive never bothered to replace it

i got the ultra dock with it, the machine lacks a mini display port connector, but has hdmi, two usb-c

a nvme disk should be nice to use too ,compared to the sata ssd in the 3rd gen

orange sky posted:

(but I'm gonna have to run W10)

that is a terrible idea, dont do that

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
how much power do the volunteers get, e.g. locking or unlocking accounts, etc.?

if the answer is any more than "none" then lmao, evn if you only get privileges after lots of volunteer work, still a great way to mess with people you dont like

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
kde did the "sets" thing years ago, and it worked perfectly, i think they just abandoned it because it wasnt very useful, i dont think it made it into plasma 5

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
i now only use my old 3rd gen x1 carbon for skype, so i put windows back on it, it came with 7 but i thought id try out win10 1803 on decent hardware and not a VM, somehow the machine already had a license for win10 pro, which was a nice surprise

no microsoft account, of course, and turned off everything for analytics/app suggestions/etc. that i could find

in the middle of a skype call today, i got a notification from some part of windows suggesting that i install some games from the windows store, i thought i had turned off all of that garbage but apparently i missed some

windows 10 bad

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

LastInLine posted:

a better question might be how they have time to do this and not just fix the existing ui from having window styles from like five different versions of windows

fixing existing things does not get you or your manager noticed, making something new (often also conflicting and often unnecessary) gets bonuses

hence powershell instead of fixing cmd.exe, and dozens of other examples

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
lol the windows 10 initial loading screen with, the windows logo and the spinny circle of dots, is squished on a 4:3 screen

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

Last Chance posted:

certainly not a 4:3 tablet lol, ms has clearly abandoned that goal

it actually was a lenovo/thinkpad x61 tablet with a 1400x1050 screen

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
installed 1809 over a clean install of 1803 with only a few things installed, everything worked okay but didnt check many settings for revertiong

still decided to flatten + reinstall because i :spergin:ly like a os with no upgrade cruft

booted from a linux thing and blkdiscard'd the disk, then booted from a 1809 windows install usb

lol that the installer still suggests the option of "Upgrade: Install Windows and keep files, settings, and applications" when the disk in the computer is completely blank, seems like it should be a pretty simple check of "except for the windows boot media, no disk in this machine even has a partition table, so maybe disable that option"

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
isnt the intention of the .000 additions to increment the number in place for new ones, instead of successively appending .001 and .002? :allears:

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
wow it sure sounds like that os is a pos

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

quote:

Time and time again, I was told that Microsoft should ship 1809 when it is ready, and I do agree.

lmao at switching to a date-based version number and not even releasing according to that schedule

so the real version nubmer should be 1811 or 1812 or 1901?

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
so if i made a bootable usb installer for 1809 before it was pulled, do i need to do that again with the new release? or will a install from that start getting updates now?

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

infernal machines posted:

i think that release was completely abandoned so your best bet is to use the media tool and make a new one

:hmmyes:

the old and current versions of MediaCreationTool1809.exe have the same sha256sum, but the os install files they put on the usb drive might be quite different, so possibly still worth making a new usb installer

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
it very well might be the same for a fresh install, where the "deletes your data on install" bugs dont really apply, but i would presume that the upgrade installer has a bunch of fixes

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
windows 10: pretty okay for a "rolling stone gathers no moss" laptop which i use for skype and literally nothing else

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

chome and all its offshoots are so bad.

shaggar was right. firefox is best

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
lmao, wanted to edit a word document that linux libreoffice was butchering the formatting for, so wanted to install actual office in a windows vm

clean up-to-date 64-bit windows 7 virtual machine with only 7-zip installed beyond the base OS, logged in to portal.office.com, went to download a installer, picked 64 bit because why not, i have the bits so may as well use them

the 64-bit installer crashed on launch, like "has stopped working, click here to check for solutions online", 32-bit installer working fine so far

do i need the 64-bit version? nah

should the installer crash as a way of helping me decide? lmfao no

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

infernal machines posted:

it's default for office 2019 iirc. and normally i'd agree with you, but this guy can't even figure out how to get the installer to run

you have missed the point entirely

let me help you, here it is:

Lysidas posted:

do i need the 64-bit version? nah

should the installer crash as a way of helping me decide? lmfao no

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
i had been meaning to get a switch to play breath of the wild, guess i should do that soon to help Friend Corporation Nintendo

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

Perplx posted:

emulate it in 4K instead

was considering this, especially to use some mods, but how does the controls cheme work? would i want to connect a gamepad/etc. to play? i played a bit of breath of the wild and playing on a keyboard/mouse does not seem pleasant

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

PleasureKevin posted:

here's a neat article about the Macs that Microsoft used to develop for the Xbox 360. apparently you can even build/buy these things and play Halo 2 on them.

yes they are?

third paragraph:

the article posted:

Then, Microsoft buys many Power Mac G5 and installs a dedicated operating system on it for the devs. Before the arrival of the real console, the brand provides two variants to the developers
gently caress using "brand" like this, stopped reading right here

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
if microsoft makes windows unusable for them, then presumably yes

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

Lambert posted:

Just lol if you didn't have your Windows theme set to olive:

Also, Media Center Edition had the best theme

lmfao no, zune theme was the best

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

El_Elegante posted:

I hope CERN develops an OS and I can add another entry to YOSPOS.txt

i thought they did, i was about to link to Scientific Linux but i mixed up CERN and Fermi

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

Sapozhnik posted:

can;t wait to install naked_anime_boob_lady.exe on my work computer

it is already there, thx microsoft

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
tried out a clean install of windows 10 version 1909 on a junk laptop i have laying around, to see what looks/behaves different

i always install windows without a internet connection so the installer cant nag you nearly as much about creating a microsoft account

now after the install when youre at the desktop, connecting to a network makes that setup screen reappear

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
lol

brand new install of win10 1909 to a lpatop with no battery

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

this inversion of betteridge's law makes me angry

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

Lambert posted:

Shouldn't happen if you set the boot devices up correctly in the Bios before installation.

why are you bringing up BIOS config when you just said they should install in UEFI mode?

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
except for the apple tv 4k and all the other things, sure

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i run an airsonic/subsonic server and all my music is organized/named/tagged with beets

huh i might have to start using this, since the good kde music player (amarok) does not have a qt5 version and is not in a lot of package repositories anymore

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

airsonic is cool because the rest api is stable and someone wrote an ios app thats has carplay support

that is super cool, i am almost interested in that but it is against policy to play music over cellular data, my phone has far more than enough storage for the parts of my music library i am interested in at any given moment

for playing music at home though, this looks neato

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
nice, im happy using itunes for that through a windows vm, with music loaded from a read-only cifs share into itunes libary, since "i want to copy a new album to my phone" usually also coincides with "oh i havent backed up my phone in a while either"

but good to know either way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
what bad decisions, i use the good phone os and the good desktop os, with occasional pain for vendors that do not support the good desktop os