Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
*requiem for a dream starts playing as everyone piles on jivjov*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osXqwvaUCsc

At last: canon proof that droids are people.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

Did I accidentally just open Tumblr?

there isn't even a single picture of gay sex on this page, of course you didn't

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

UmOk posted:

Agree. I think Snyder's "style" is very similar to the late George Lucas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzjb_Rsf7MA&t=96s

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Yeah, jivjov, we're apes. Calling us monkeys is like calling The Force Awakens a remake of A New Hope.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

The Force Awakens' 'Hosnian system' is basically the same trick as Rogue One's 'Mustafar': You present the audience with familiar imagery and allow them to fill in the blanks, without having to outright state that it's the place in question.

The difference is that apparently Disney decided actually blowing up Coruscant for reals was too crippling to their potential future storylines / bottom line, so they changed it to some other place and let casual moviegoers just operate on the reasonable assumption that it's the same glittery city planet from the previous films.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

jivjov posted:

Two completely different governmental bodies. The Republic from the prequels is not the same as the Republic that existed from shortly after RotJ til midway through TFA

ah yes the Rebel Alliance to Restore the Republic restored...a completely different republic

this doesn't even make sense from your ludicrously canon-blinkered perspective jivjov

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Finn raises the extremely uncomfortable question of 'what about the rest of the stormtroopers' that tfa sorta just...drops with a 'he is one of the Good Guys now' hand-wave, which seems like a pretty big disservice to the film and its ethics

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Cnut the Great posted:

The Phantom Menace is the prototype for how things are supposed to go.

well, apart from everyone ignoring all the bad things happening on tatooine, i guess

and it turns out ignoring all the bad things happening on tatooine is really, really responsible for things going wrong in the next two episodes!

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Cnut the Great posted:

He frees Anakin, specifically apart from any other slave, yes, because it becomes clear to him that the Force has placed him on Tatooine for this specific purpose, and also--very importantly--because the means to accomplish this specific task miraculously appear before him. It also happens that the circumstances create an opportunity to potentially free Anakin's mother, which he tries to do. He has no reason to try to free Anakin's mother other than that there is an opportunity to do so, and because it's the right thing to do. You ignore this fact for obvious reasons.

you mean the part where he manipulates the roll of the dice so that he wins anakin rather than his mother, using his freaky mutant powers

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Honestly? just watch season 6 and the last arc of season 5. The rest is above-average for the star wars EU but that's a classic case of damning with faint praise, while season 6 is a few unrelated multi-episode arcs which are all very well-constructed and have interesting ideas the movies gloss over because they're not related to the central skywalker saga

also jar jar binks fucks

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

This is one of those things where EU sources need to come up with magic powers in order to explain metaphors to the sort of people who care about the EU because holy poo poo star wars not being 100% literal all the time is insanely hard to grasp for some people

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretend i posted a screencap of luke saying "hey! watch your language!" to R2-D2 from TLJ here

not only can luke understand r2 he can tell when he's swearing at him, which is always, because r2 is an rear end in a top hat

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

"the Force presence of a single atom" is the worst non-political phrase i have read all year

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

wanna see that droid

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Elfgames posted:

maybe he is?

the trailer seems to be implying that he wants to join the empire and do imperial things though

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

"the same release density as legends" pretty strongly implies "the same density of inane detail as legends" though

i believe he was employing 'hyperbole', the greatest weapon ever created except for the third death star

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Why does Palpatine say Unlimited Power? I'll even accept an answer from SuperMechagodzilla

He's hamming it up because his plans have finally succeeded. Anakin's intervention is the final tipping point in the rise of the Empire. He has unlimited [executive, judicial, and legislative] power.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

statism and hatred towards the Other are inextricably linked

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

apparently they had similar issues with ewan mcgregor constantly making lightsaber noises while filming the prequels :v:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

Every time I see that space bread rise I think to myself how tasty it looks.

In other random Star Wars related musings that came up while I was strolling through Wookieepedia:

DID YOU KNOW: All stormtroopers were armed with a thermal detonator attached to the back of their torso armor? That cylindrical thing at the small of their back is a goddamn mini nuke. They EACH have one.

How dumb is that?

thermal detonators are just grenades, and 'soliders carry grenades' isn't dumb at all, really

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

[looks at the heroes' plan to infiltrate the death star being contingent on having chewbacca as a prisoner]

hmm.

of course 'racist empire' describes many non-nazi groups as well, including one whose accents match, so

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

it's appropriately religious, really.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

jivjov posted:

I hardly think three great films and a 4-season TV show is a disaster.

rian johnson's trilogy hasn't come out yet though :thunk:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

jivjov posted:

Episode VII, Rogue One, and Episode VIII are the ones I'm referring to

:thunk:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

the 'tracking in hyperspace' thing is New and Cuh-Razy technology that the first order are using for the first time, if i remember the exposition correctly

this may or may not be related to the part where the rebels can hyperspace into said ship when that hasn't been done before either (maybe the tracking technology prevents them from using whatever everybody else does that stops hyperspace ramming from being a thing)

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

the irony is that sith lords are their speciality because they're protecting said sith lord from harm

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

It is implied that outrunning the cops is difficult.

and by 'implied' i presume you mean 'shown as the first scene in the movie'

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

galagazombie posted:

You know I'm honestly surprised they never made a set of rules for space-chess. It would sell like hotcakes. Sure it would have to use physical pieces instead of holograms but with the advent of video games you could just put it on IPhone instead.

i'm fairly sure the (extremely bad) star wars mobile game is supposed to be this

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

As I patiently wait for a Black Widow movie, I raise my hand slowly.

i figured out the problem guys

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

the next superweapon the first order will build will be the Pedant Star, which can only be destroyed by somebody who distinguishes between a death star and a superweapon that looks and functions exactly the same as a death star

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Milky Moor posted:

Okay thread, name six things that aren't a Death Star.

Jackie Chan!

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

jivjov posted:

....who then put out 4 movies, a TV series, a bunch of books and comics, etc.

does your wife know that strangers on the internet are loving (with) you

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't know. Can you really say the prequel trilogy (and this isn't meant pejoratively) are like a timeless fairy tale? I don't think they are. I think they're as much a product of the 90s blockbuster era as anything. :shrug:

As much as the prequels are a reflection of the US in the early 2000s, the originals are a reflection of the US in the late 1970s - and simultaneously something entirely understandable by a denizen of the failing roman empire, or a citizen of Napoleonic France.

It's weird that they're simultaneously one of the first post 9/11 films that really fits the description, and yet timeless in a way that I can't quite put my finger on. There's probably a Zizek quote for it.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

the part where the rebellion runs around like a headless chicken for three years between a new hope and empire suggests the dissolution of the senate did affect their ideology and power base

like, does anyone know what the hell the rebellion are doing on hoth except hiding from the empire? they've basically given up at that point. part of the reason TLJ comes off so badly is that they put the 'rebellion has given up and is hopeless' scene at the end of the movie instead of at the start, and then keeps talking about how good and important hope is

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

"And whenever Luke isn't on screen, everyone should be asking 'where's Luke?'"

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

star wars is a series of pretty good films that started huffing their own farts from rotj onwards, and while the prequels huffed farts moderately interestingly i'm not confident that you can continue doing so for much longer

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

the actual issue is that we see zero of the things that made luke willing to consider murdering his nephew, because oops we started our sequel trilogy 30 years after rotj because of Numbers, and do you get it guys it's been the same amount of time, which means there's the world's largest [SCENE MISSING] where kylo ren's motivations are

because those motivations are too much like anakin's in the prequels, probably

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

luke skywalker [blows up death star] does not [stabs some ppl] kill [chokes a dude out with the force] ppl!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

me3's ending is actually symbolically really good - the three endings are a literalisation of the choice-wheel you've been using the whole time (there's a reason the beams are red, blue and green). the overall structure of the series, however, is all about hand-waving whenever a choice-wheel is used because nobody wants to write three or more radically different narratives depending on the players' choice, every time they make a decision.

and when you combine with what i can only assume were time/budget constraints, this means the choice-wheel breaks down at the worst possible time: the conclusion of the story, where the hand-waving becomes blatantly obvious and the endings are basically identical. the extended cut doesn't really fix this issue because it's a systemic flaw inherent in the entire series.

contrast with the suicide mission, which doesn't use literal choice-wheels but replicates the effect with mission assignments and loyalties, and which actually has the consequences of your choices matter (although the game still hand-waves some choices because they feel the need to let the player 'win', like when two party members face off or tali's entire loyalty mission). but all those consequences are warped by the fact that this is the end of act II, and act III can't and won't be written with every possible permutation in mind.